• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

besiktas1 said:
Other than the graphics what are the differences, should I get it for the DS instead?

The DS should have identical game logic code as the 360/PS3 versions. All the strategies and tactics that work on the big versions work the same on the small one.

The big (obvious) draw of the DS version is portability. It's easier to finish a game when you can just close your DS for a while and open it back up when you're ready to play again.

Kinan said:
Well, in demo on PS3 there is some kind of memory leak, since if you have your game running for a long time its slowing down.Once I left it running on credits after win for an hour, and after that I barely could leave the game, it slowed down PS3 so much, that every keypress took 5s to register. Amazing, first time I meet this type of bug on a console.

Hope its fixed in the retail version, should get it next week.

I know exactly what you're saying, I beat the demo with the Romans and the credits were like watching a slideshow, hopefully it's fixed in the final version or I might not get the game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
How is Game of the Week supposed to work? I finished it and there was no scoreboard or anything.

painey

Ghost I played the demo and couldn't find the option to build workers, are they now automatic or am I missing something?

FightyF

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
I know exactly what you're saying, I beat the demo with the Romans and the credits were like watching a slideshow, hopefully it's fixed in the final version or I might not get the game.

Never had that issue on the 360, and I even played the demo twice in a row trying to get Nukes.

I doubt that is going to remain in the full version.

I think I found a bug, or maybe I understood something incorrectly. I thought that when you put Settlers into an existing City, it increases the population by 1. But whenever I do it, it subtracts by 1. I was trying it over and over again to see if I misunderstood it. I also checked the Civilopedia and it said it would add 1 to the city. Maybe it was a simple programming mistake? They subtracted 1 when they should have added it?

FightyF said:
I think I found a bug, or maybe I understood something incorrectly. I thought that when you put Settlers into an existing City, it increases the population by 1. But whenever I do it, it subtracts by 1. I was trying it over and over again to see if I misunderstood it. I also checked the Civilopedia and it said it would add 1 to the city. Maybe it was a simple programming mistake? They subtracted 1 when they should have added it?

Are you putting the settlers in the same city that you create them from? If you create settlers in a city, the population drops by 2. If you "join" settlers to a city, the population will raise by 1.

So if you are creating settlers in a city and having them join the city they were created in, you'll see a net -1 in population. (This changes if you have the republic, where it only takes 1 population to construct a settler.)

zam

Got mine today! Once I finish moving over my files to my new 120gb hard drive (got an Elite :D ) I'll start playing.

painey said:
Ghost I played the demo and couldn't find the option to build workers, are they now automatic or am I missing something?
Yeah they're automatic. You can choose which tile around the city they should work.

FightyF

Banned
DeathMonkey said:
Are you putting the settlers in the same city that you create them from? If you create settlers in a city, the population drops by 2. If you "join" settlers to a city, the population will raise by 1.

So if you are creating settlers in a city and having them join the city they were created in, you'll see a net -1 in population. (This changes if you have the republic, where it only takes 1 population to construct a settler.)

I'm actually creating them in one city, and moving them to another. I thought that by doing this I could get more workers to tend the fields/mine/fish/etc. When you say the population drops by 2...I don't notice any less "squares" being worked on. Maybe I was thinking of something completely different and "population" is not what I think it means.

FightyF said:
I'm actually creating them in one city, and moving them to another. I thought that by doing this I could get more workers to tend the fields/mine/fish/etc. When you say the population drops by 2...I don't notice any less "squares" being worked on. Maybe I was thinking of something completely different and "population" is not what I think it means.
The number next to your city. If you have a population of 4 (this increases on the apple meter in the city menu) and you created a settler in that town, the population (if it hadn't grown while producing the settler) will then be reduced to 2, because it takes 2 population to create one settler. Any settler added to a population will ONLY add 1 populatoin to a settlement, no matter what, so make sure it's worth it.

One reason you may see the population decrease is if there isn't enough food tiles to support your settlement you're trying to build up. If that's the issue, you need to either expand your borders with a courthouse or build an aqueduct.

As a side note, if you're playing as the romans, I think it only takes 1 population to create a settler.

Hope this helps.

AugustDivision said:
One reason you may see the population decrease is if there isn't enough food tiles to support your settlement you're trying to build up. If that's the issue, you need to either expand your borders with a courthouse or build an aqueduct.

There are no food "support" costs for population. The only way your population will decrease is if you build a settler at a city. If you take a city (regardless of size) and adjust the workers so that no food is produced, the city will never shrink.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
painey said:

There aren't any workers, you build roads from the city menu and there isn't any 'tile improvement' besides the affects certain buildings and technologies have.

I think that's one my favourite pieces of 'slim lining', managing workers manually in Civ 4 was annoyingly time consuming.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I got my imported copy from the UK today... and it works on my US 360.

So, it's region free, if anyone was thinking of importing.

It was $69 shipped from gameplay.co.uk.

Can someone with the PS3 version of the game tell me if the frame rate is smooth and there are no pop ins and screen and tearing and freezes and stuff?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
AranhaHunter said:
Has the demo frozen on anybody yet? It has frozen on me more than a couple of times, on the select screen when I select Cleopatra.

The retail game has frozen on me a couple of times and I'm fairly sure it's the game and not my 360 as I don't have problems with any other game. I didn't lose much progress though so it wasn't a big deal.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Ghost said:
I have the full version.
which system do you have it for? the ps3 or 360? I played both the ps3 and the 360 demo's. the only different i can see is the color. right now i am thinking about getting the ps3 version.

Kweh

Something I found rather annoying when playing last night, if you have all your unit's defending, i couldn't find a way to manually select them to activate them again?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ah I found the Game Of the Week scoreboard...kinda lame it just records what year you finished in

Something I found rather annoying when playing last night, if you have all your unit's defending, i couldn't find a way to manually select them to activate them again?

The right stick is the 'browse' cursor, so use that to point at the tile, the units defending should appear in the bottom left, you can then use dpad Up/down to select different units in the stack and A (on 360) to activate them again.

which system do you have it for? the ps3 or 360? I played both the ps3 and the 360 demo's. the only different i can see is the color and i think the ps3 demo had a little bit more animation. did anyone else notice that? right now i am thinking about getting the ps3 version.

360, haven't played the PS3 version but I haven't had any problems with the 360 version.

Ive played 6 or 7 games now and I've gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with the difficulty, on Civ 4 I can barely manage above Warlord so It's fair to say I'm pretty shit at this game, but on Civ Rev I've already worked my way up to the second highest difficulty and it's still only a challenge if I get put in a really shitty starting position. The only 'clever' thing the AI does is camp your production tiles, they rarely build wonders, rarely bother to hunt down barbarians (which seems like the best early game strategy to me) or ancient wonders, they never seem to take advantage of a technological advantage.

Also I've never seen the AI build a fleet (army of ships) or a siege army.

I can tell getting Space Race achievements is going to be a chore just because it will be hard to resist the urge to crush everyone for that long.

E-phonk

Banned
Is the DS version out allready in Europe? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere, and I thougth it came out last week?

Brashnir

E-phonk said:
Is the DS version out allready in Europe? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere, and I thougth it came out last week?

DS version is next month everywhere. 360/PS3 are out in Europe now.

Cheech

AranhaHunter said:
Can someone with the PS3 version of the game tell me if the frame rate is smooth and there are no pop ins and screen and tearing and freezes and stuff?

I am interested in this as well. I've gotten to appreciate the peace and quiet of my PS3 while running through MGS4, and would prefer to buy it for that system. Based on the respective demos, though, the 360 version is far smoother as far as the scrolling and animation. Does anyone know if they fixed this stuff in the retail PS3 version? Surely someone played the demo and bought the retail game.

Thanks!

Almyn

I didn't play the demo on PS3, But i own a retail copy. There is a lot of screen tearing on PS3, Even in the opening movie. Zooming out the map and moving around causes screen tear, And some pop up of units on the edges of the screen. There's some slowdown also.All these things are especially noticeable when the game jumps from one part of the map to another when a units turn comes around.

The other problem i have is some stuttering/pausing of the advisors and other civs when they appear on the screen. If say i run into a barbarian village the barbarian leader will usually appear on screen after i beat them, And it's here i notice the stutters. It's almost as if it's having trouble reading form the disc. It gets annoying, And if i could turn off the advisors i would.

Overall i love the game, It's a lot of fun, But i'm disappointed with the graphical problems on the PS3

Meier

So many OPs banned lately. Seems to be an epidemic. I still can't believe this doesn't come out here for another few weeks... weak!

Ghost said:
they never seem to take advantage of a technological advantage.

Also I've never seen the AI build a fleet

I was playing as the Spanish on Warlord difficulty and the Japanese had Battleships while I was still using Galleons, then they proceded to totally annihilate my Spanish Armada, although I suspect the AI was reacting to the fact that i'd built so many ships and was camping the other Civ's water resources.

Cheech

Almyn said:
Overall i love the game, It's a lot of fun, But i'm disappointed with the graphical problems on the PS3

Thanks a ton for your honest review, I really appreciate it. I'll keep my 360 preorder, but it's a shame because this is one game whose volume isn't going to drown out the racket of the XBox.

Gowans

Finished MSG4 so picked this up for the 360 today after the trade.

Will be on late tonight for some online games if anyone wants to kick back and play.

Banned
Anyone know what the 360 patch is for? Not sure if it just went up today or if it's been there for a while — I've been distracted with MGS4.

Gowans

SCHUEY F1 said:
For people who have the game, is there any sort of team play in multiplayer, such as 2 humans vs. 2+ A.I.?

just checked it in, my first game will be online.

Looking at the options you have

all

Head to Head (2)
Teams (2-4)
Free For All (2-4)

All have timer speeds of
Fast (30)
Medium (60)
Slow (120)
None

Seems to plenty of games going too

Edit: cant join any games hmmm...

Starting a new one oh you can have AI players and handicaps too

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gowans007 said:
just checked it in, my first game will be online.

Looking at the options you have

all

Head to Head (2)
Teams (2-4)
Free For All (2-4)

All have timer speeds of
Fast (30)
Medium (60)
Slow (120)
None

Seems to plenty of games going too

Edit: cant join any games hmmm...

Starting a new one oh you can have AI players and handicaps too

Thanks, can't wait for the N.A. release!

Almyn said:

This is a bummer. I really hoped that they would fix these issues for the retail version. Relative to what's being rendered it's hard to believe they're struggling with tearing and stuttering.

I'll hold-off purchasing until they release a performance patch. I too have grown accustomed to the peace and quiet (and stability) of my PS3 and would prefer this version.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I have both demos ,and I don't see these problems in the ps3 version of the demo. Both demo play the same, only difference is the ps3 version has brighter colors and the 360's colors are more pastal. I am running both systems on a SD tv. Are the ps3 graphic problems only happen in HD mode?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Played another game as the English on Warlord last night. Great game, won around 1920 through domination.

One thing that's really corner-cutting, at least on the 360, is the audio sampling. Some of the music samples crackle.

Hopefully the patch released today addresses some of the performance issues. Even on the 360, there are weird 2-3 second pauses sometimes, and the engine does struggle when scrolling around the map.

Other than the minor issues, this game is goddamn fantastic.

Kasumi1970 said:
I have both demos ,and I don't see these problems in the ps3 version of the demo. Both demo play the same, only difference is the ps3 version has brighter colors and the 360's colors are more pastal. I am running both systems on a SD tv. Are the ps3 graphic problems only happen in HD mode?

Have been reading on other forums that on PS3 if you set it to 1080p you get no tearing but a poorer framerate, if you switch the PS3 to 720p you get a better frame rate but get some tearing, so it is probably an issue with HD

poster on eurogamer said:
About the screen tearing/framerate in the PS3-version: I like beano played the demo in 1080p and there is no screen tearing whatsoever. But I thought the framerate was a bit so so. So I tried 720p by checking off the 1080p and i boxes in the display settings and it looks like they put vsync off for 720p because it was indeed a little smoother, not too much though (and I think I'd rather have the slightly crispier interface than framerate), and there was screen tearing when scrolling.

So there you have it!

I'll be picking this up when I've finished MGS4 :)

Cheech

FlyinJ said:
One thing that's really corner-cutting, at least on the 360, is the audio sampling. Some of the music samples crackle.

You know what's really weird? I noticed this crackling on the PS3, but not on the 360 demo.

I never did check to see if there is an in-game "gain" control, which is how I fixed the horrendous crackling on Everyday Shooter.

Dina

Played two singleplayer games, one on the easiest (Chieftain), one on the second. Won both, but I don't think my opinion would be different if I would have lost it. Also, note that I don't have Xbox Live Gold, so this all comes from SP experiences. I know two games offline probably aren't enough for a well-rounded opinion on the game, but here goes.

I have been playing Civ4+warlords+beyond the sword a lot with my brother the last week and I can't help but feel disappointed with this game. Civ:R is in every sense of the word a step back from Civ4 and even Civ3. Civ4, for me, is all about depth. About the leader traits, the worker management, the citybuilding and warmongering and expanding aspect. Everything in the PC Civ games basically got dumbed down in Civ:R. There are no more workers, the leader traits are there but since they change depending on what era you're in you can't really have a long-term strategy based on the traits since it can change so quickly. Citybuilding also got dumbed down, I didn't really notice any sick or healthy, happy or unhappy people in any of my cities. Tile management is there, but since there are no workers you can't dedicate cities to production or food or culture. I also don't like the warmongering much. Artillery like the catapult is not needed anymore to destroy enemy fortifications in a city under siege. Eventually boils down to combining your cossacks or whatever your unique unit is into armies and getting on a happy spree. Nothing like a Lightning Ninja Cossack Army attacking and conquering city after city, but boy does it get old fast. After finishing two games, I feel like I've seen 95% of what the game has to offer me. The wonders are not very unique or game-changing, same goes for civics or the tech tree.

Civ4 is probably too complex and difficult for most gamers, pc-gamers and console-gamers alike, but if Civ on the console means that all the depth goes straight out of the window at the expense of quirky looking advisors and barbarians jumping out of bushes yelling at the player, I'm out.

My brother, the other civ-player in my house, likes the game though. Not as much as Civ4, but he likes it as a quick, funny Civ-game played in short periods of time when we don't have time for 5 hour Civ games over lan. And maybe I should view Civ:R this way, but I view the X360 as a equal system as my PC and I view games on both systems the same way.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Cheech said:
You know what's really weird? I noticed this crackling on the PS3, but not on the 360 demo.

I never did check to see if there is an in-game "gain" control, which is how I fixed the horrendous crackling on Everyday Shooter.

There is a gain control in Everyday Shooter? Awesome! I thought it just had badly-sampled sounds to keep the filesize down.

Odd that you didn't notice the crackling on the 360 SKU. It may be that certain conditions have to be met for the crackling to start. It seemed really bad during the end credits/summary scrolling. Maybe it was because it was trying to scroll credits, pan the map and play a sound sample at the same time.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I got my final build of the game. I'm rather shit at strategy games, but I'm still going to give this one a go. If anything, I'll get my girlfriend to tell me just how good it is -- Civ 2 is like the only game she'll play. :lol

Dina said:
Everything in the PC Civ games basically got dumbed down in Civ:R.

It'll be interesting to see people's impressions of this after they've had it for a while. With the demo, it seemed like everyone said that the tedious stuff in CIV was 'streamlined', but that makes me wonder 1) is the depth not really there and/or was that Firaxis' intention? and 2) how much of the raving over the demos was due to shock that they actually pulled off the seemingly impossible: intuitive, simple controls on a console. ?

Cheech

FlyinJ said:
There is a gain control in Everyday Shooter? Awesome! I thought it just had badly-sampled sounds to keep the filesize down.

Odd that you didn't notice the crackling on the 360 SKU. It may be that certain conditions have to be met for the crackling to start. It seemed really bad during the end credits/summary scrolling. Maybe it was because it was trying to scroll credits, pan the map and play a sound sample at the same time.

Yeah, Everyday Shooter was a total waste of money until I found the gain (well, it's just called "volume" in the config panel) because it sounded like my speakers were cooking themselves. The game redeemed itself after that, though I still prefer Super Stardust HD.

Dina said:
Played two singleplayer games, one on the easiest (Chieftain), one on the second. Won both, but I don't think my opinion would be different if I would have lost it. Also, note that I don't have Xbox Live Gold, so this all comes from SP experiences. I know two games offline probably aren't enough for a well-rounded opinion on the game, but here goes.

I have been playing Civ4+warlords+beyond the sword a lot with my brother the last week and I can't help but feel disappointed with this game. Civ:R is in every sense of the word a step back from Civ4 and even Civ3. Civ4, for me, is all about depth. About the leader traits, the worker management, the citybuilding and warmongering and expanding aspect. Everything in the PC Civ games basically got dumbed down in Civ:R. There are no more workers, the leader traits are there but since they change depending on what era you're in you can't really have a long-term strategy based on the traits since it can change so quickly. Citybuilding also got dumbed down, I didn't really notice any sick or healthy, happy or unhappy people in any of my cities. Tile management is there, but since there are no workers you can't dedicate cities to production or food or culture. I also don't like the warmongering much. Artillery like the catapult is not needed anymore to destroy enemy fortifications in a city under siege. Eventually boils down to combining your cossacks or whatever your unique unit is into armies and getting on a happy spree. Nothing like a Lightning Ninja Cossack Army attacking and conquering city after city, but boy does it get old fast. After finishing two games, I feel like I've seen 95% of what the game has to offer me. The wonders are not very unique or game-changing, same goes for civics or the tech tree.

Civ4 is probably too complex and difficult for most gamers, pc-gamers and console-gamers alike, but if Civ on the console means that all the depth goes straight out of the window at the expense of quirky looking advisors and barbarians jumping out of bushes yelling at the player, I'm out.

My brother, the other civ-player in my house, likes the game though. Not as much as Civ4, but he likes it as a quick, funny Civ-game played in short periods of time when we don't have time for 5 hour Civ games over lan. And maybe I should view Civ:R this way, but I view the X360 as a equal system as my PC and I view games on both systems the same way.

-Era bonuse are cumulative, and kept once you have them. You can plan very well using them because you know what bonuses you will get and when.
-You can dedicate cities to one thing. Maybe not absolutely exclusively but near enough.
-Unique units are no different to equivalent regular units.
-Of course the combat is too easy on the easy difficulties: you get given big combat bonuses. It isn't as you describe once you get to King.

I love the game anyway. It's all the goods bits of Civ with lots of the shit removed.

I'm really fired up to play this...too bad the release in the US is so far off (relatively).

Hootie said:
HOLY SHIT!! In the demo I built Oxford University, got Atomic Theory, SOMEHOW rushed the Manhatten Project and then nuked the living shit out of the Zulu during the year 1050 AD :lol :lol :lol Poor ancient bastards got the mindfucking of their lives; they hadn't learned either writing, alphabet, or pottery yet and got smashed by an ICBM :lol

Greatest demo I have ever played. Day 1!

:lol :lol :lol

awesome

Top Bottom