• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

SmokeMaxX

McBradders said:
Ask yourself how much time you're going to invest in to learning the game on a stick, then budget accordingly. They're all, mostly, serviceable, but the more time you're going to put in the more you'll appreciate the higher grade sticks (generally they're more robust than the cheaper options).

If it's a first toe in the water, go with a Hori EX fighting stick as its cheap and if by the time Super rolls around you're still going great guns at the game, dip in for a more expensive model.

(this stick http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V02P6Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20 it's far from the best, but you can find it cheap and its far from the worst)

Agreed. Good recommendation. A good stick would cost ~$100 or more and that one's like retail around $60? My friend has like 4-5 different Hori sticks, a TE, and various other sticks with Sanwa and Seimetsu parts. I've played on them pre and post mod and I only have the EX2 (what was recommended). TBH I love it the most. Most oldschool and hardcore players prefer the heavier sticks like the TE because they feel as if the lighter ones move too much, but if you can handle it in your lap like I have, it's a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't really recommend it if you main quarter-circle characters unless you're willing to switch to an octo, but it's definitely doable to play quarter-circle characters on a square gate. In fact, I hear that's what the pros tend to do. Anyway, the EX2 isn't the best, but it's definitely been a good experience for me and I've used quite a few sticks. It's not the easiest to mod and the parts aren't of the highest quality, but if you're just learning, definitely a good beginner's stick.

Once you get more advanced you can try a TE with an octo gate and Sanwa parts. Sanwa buttons are nice once you get used to them. Sometimes I prefer Seimetsu because they feel more sturdy. Much easier to mod also.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
SmokeMaxX said:
1, 2, and 8) Guess you're salty then. Read what I wrote. It's the exact same thing you wrote.

3) Are you stupid? Who said ANYTHING about predictable fashion? I play Dictator. You want me to hold down-back the entire round? No, I'm going to be in his face with st. mk and st. rh. Am I going to keep hitting him over and over? No, but I'm sure as hell going to play the footsie game with him. If I sit back, I eat fireball. If I go forward and poke at him, at least I avoid the fireball. But guess what, because I'm forced to play the poke game, I don't have charge for my ultra. So yeah, I can never punish his SRK with my Ultra. He does a lp SRK and what? I hit him with a roundhouse? Yeah sure I can go in and cr. short x 3 -> Scissors. However, it's much, much easier (at least in my experience) to SRK -> FADC -> Ultra than cr. short x3 -> scissors. So yeah, I have an 75% chance of punishing him for ~200 damage or a 25% chance of getting hit for 300-400 damage off of a missed cr. short. And big whoop, I can score a knockdown on Mr. Auto-correct SRK -> FADC -> Ultra / trade -> Free Ultra. Sure I can potentially do damage, but it's not like I'm putting myself in a phenomenally better position. Might want to work on your reading comprehension skills too. I already acknowledged that Rufus has more ways to lead to Ultra than Ryu and I have no problem with him.

4) It's not a fucking weakness because everybody has a punishable ultra. Ryu's isn't the most punishable, nor is it the least punishable. You call having an Ultra that leaves you just as punishable as an average Ultra a weakness? Are you even sure you know what side you're arguing for?

From http://oomickeydizzleoo.blogspot.com/2009/05/ryu-numbers.html

- Ultra Combo's: hp shoryuken 381D (at times 291D when anti aired). c.mk, hp shoryuken: 424D (454D if c.hp is used instead). F+hp, hp shoryuken: 474D. c.lk, c.lp, hp shoryuken: 345D. j.hk, land, c.hp, shoryuken: 495D

5) Another bullshit "argument"? Why even both arguing with me if you can't even back up your statements? Cry some more dude. Cry some more. ]

6) Dude your caps lock is on. Also, I'm a native English speaker. Even if I wasn't, SHOUTING DOESN'T LEAD TO COMPREHENSION. You can make the same bullshit argument as many times as you want. As long as you're going to say the same thing, your message doesn't get across.

Answer this. How is going to a neutral state introducing risk? The risk is being on wake-up having to deal with meaty attacks, throw set-ups, potential cross-ups, or other shenanigans. All you do with SRK -> FADC is go back to neutral where both players are back on even ground. You're arguing that by returning to neutral, you're introducing risk? Yeah, yeah- 50/50 whatever. What's the first 50 and what's the second 50.

1,2,8) Salt. Mayo. Salty mayo.

3) I'm talking about in general, not solely with Bison. You have a chance at getting hit with ultra if you make a mistake, or if the opponent reads you. Big deal. That's how the game is played.

4) I thought you were talking about the ultra itself with the damage points, but of course you knew this.

5) This is how it has always been. It is how the game Street Fighter works. It is in no way magic. It is in no way unfair. It is in no way surprising. If you can't accept how the game works, which is obvious from your posts, then quit playing.

6) Right on, there is no risk in a 50/50 situation. Everyone that knows anything would disagree with you, but okay. There's a reason why a lot of players don't end combos with hk tatsu, it's because you end up in a 50/50 when the opponent gets up and they want to mitigate risk.

9) You are trying to act like Ryu has these huge advantages over Bison. Not true. It's pretty much an even match, MAYBE slight advantage for Ryu. Basically what you're complaining about is that you are not good at this game. That is dumb. Have fun with that!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Ysiadmihi said:
I haven't played the console version, but 4-5 bar matches on the PC feel about as good as GGPO to me. I don't understand any complaints about the PC version's lag (though I have mostly noticed complaints come from people with crappy PCs/connections).
the reliability is way worse, imo. i get better matches more consistently in xbl vs pc. ps3 is the worst for finding pick-up matches

edit: ^ i'm leaning towards smokemax :\

Sanjay

I went through the past few pages to check for PC SF4 users and heres a updated GT list:-

xx Relix
Denogginizer OS
OmnipotentO
MINI Pez
SoulFist7
risotto ball
Enclave Patrol
hikarutilmitt
Fraelynn
sca2511
Shaftydude

Any more?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sanjay said:
I went through the past few pages to check for PC SF4 users and heres a updated GT list:-

xx Relix
Denogginizer OS
OmnipotentO
MINI Pez
SoulFist7
risotto ball
Enclave Patrol
hikarutilmitt
Fraelynn
sca2511
Shaftydude

Any more?
I'm on there but the PC version isn't working for me for some reason. Hopefully I'll get it fixed soon.

chickeny dinner

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Sanjay said:

xx Relix
Denogginizer OS
OmnipotentO
MINI Pez
SoulFist7
risotto ball
Enclave Patrol
hikarutilmitt
Fraelynn
sca2511
Shaftydude

Any more?

me, bistromathics

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
McBradders said:
Ask yourself how much time you're going to invest in to learning the game on a stick, then budget accordingly. They're all, mostly, serviceable, but the more time you're going to put in the more you'll appreciate the higher grade sticks (generally they're more robust than the cheaper options).

If it's a first toe in the water, go with a Hori EX fighting stick as its cheap and if by the time Super rolls around you're still going great guns at the game, dip in for a more expensive model.

(this stick http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V02P6Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20 it's far from the best, but you can find it cheap and its far from the worst)

NOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

it's terrible! while the description above is pretty accurate, however, they break.. easily. I had 2x these things and 2 buttons on each stopped responding after ~1 month. Google around for problems with this stick before plunking down cash.

Threi

notag
Sanjay said:

xx Relix
Denogginizer OS
OmnipotentO
MINI Pez
SoulFist7
risotto ball
Enclave Patrol
hikarutilmitt
Fraelynn
sca2511
Shaftydude

Any more?
didn't see my ranting on the last 2 pages?

anyways GFW/GT = threi

*edit* SRK FADC being 50/50 is a load of crap. It is 50/50 for the person on defense (either another SRK will follow or a throw, can't option select both like you can for a blockstring...i think) but for the person on offense it's just a standard mixup guess if they FADC forward, but if they are worrying about safety they can FADC backward and reset the field, no risk taken.

catfish said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

it's terrible! while the description above is pretty accurate, however, they break.. easily. I had 2x these things and 2 buttons on each stopped responding after ~1 month. Google around for problems with this stick before plunking down cash.

Minus the breaking thing, this. And a Mad Catz SE can be had for the same amount, last I checked. It's also easier to mod for when the time comes and said modding requires just a screwdriver and some time.

Sanjay said:

xx Relix
Denogginizer OS
OmnipotentO
MINI Pez
SoulFist7
risotto ball
Enclave Patrol
hikarutilmitt
Fraelynn
sca2511
Shaftydude

Any more?

I'm Rice_Eater483 on there

Well, I'm back from my ban. A lot happened in my absence:

I started to feel frustrated after hitting a plateau with Fei Long.
Complete character identity crisis after being rocked by a godlike Guile.
weltschmerz.
Found out guile is a known cheater named Z Somer, starts to feel better.
Upgraded my arcade stick with Seimitsu parts.
Flew 2200 miles to New York and played at Chinatown Fair to see what a real arcade is like.
Forgot that arcades don't have Fei Long, built up a few losses with Akuma.
Ate real New York Cheesecake in sub-10 degree weather.
Came back, set my GP at 777(previously 1337) and CP at 888 without cheating.
Printed out a list of Akuma combos to practice, stared in awe.
Decided to stick with Fei Long.
Debating whether to go for 7777.

Sanjay said:

xx Relix
Denogginizer OS
OmnipotentO
MINI Pez
SoulFist7
risotto ball
Enclave Patrol
hikarutilmitt
Fraelynn
sca2511
Shaftydude

Any more?

GFW = krp1976

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ogs said:
Any particular reason why the frame rate gets halved if i put any ammount of AA on the PC version ? Surely my 5770 should laugh at this with 4xAA ?

Makes me feel glad it's not my PC :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Threi said:
didn't see my ranting on the last 2 pages?

anyways GFW/GT = threi

*edit* SRK FADC being 50/50 is a load of crap. It is 50/50 for the person on defense (either another SRK will follow or a throw, can't option select both like you can for a blockstring...i think) but for the person on offense it's just a standard mixup guess if they FADC forward, but if they are worrying about safety they can FADC backward and reset the field, no risk taken.

And Ryu and Sagat can hit their combos off a backwards FADC to boot. Dunno about others.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
God's Beard said:
Well, I'm back from my ban. A lot happened in my absence:

I started to feel frustrated after hitting a plateau with Fei Long.
Complete character identity crisis after being rocked by a godlike Guile.
weltschmerz.
Found out guile is a known cheater named Z Somer, starts to feel better.
Upgraded my arcade stick with Seimitsu parts.
Flew 2200 miles to New York and played at Chinatown Fair to see what a real arcade is like.
Forgot that arcades don't have Fei Long, built up a few losses with Akuma.
Ate real New York Cheesecake in sub-10 degree weather.
Came back, set my GP at 777(previously 1337) and CP at 888 without cheating.
Printed out a list of Akuma combos to practice, stared in awe.
Decided to stick with Fei Long.
Debating whether to go for 7777.

That arcade stick is fucking pimp.

Yeah ryu can backdash ultra in the corner, but you don't see that very much, and it's obviously not what i was talking about.

Parham

Banned
McBradders said:
Just go in (if you do) knowing that the stick I linked isn't super awesome or super durable, but it's half the cost of a high grade stick so any buyers regret should be significantly diminished. Also the transition from pad to stick will take a couple of weeks, your performance will drop significantly for a while. Don't be disheartened.

Yeah, that shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. I am still pretty bad at the game. :lol

Sanjay said:

Any more?

GFW= Azentium

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
FindMyFarms said:
That boxer was pretty bbbbaaddddd. Too many random headbutts.

But I lost to him anyway :lol

Another problem of mine is adjusting on the fly. Should've figured out pretty quickly that he was gonna do a bunch of random headbutts and to just tone down the offense a bit and punish the randomness.

RS4- said:
I'll be on PSN if anyone wants to play

psn: resonating

Trying to bully people with Gief again huh?!!?

Lost Fragment said:
But I lost to him anyway :lol

Another problem of mine is adjusting on the fly. Should've figured out pretty quickly that he was gonna do a bunch of random headbutts and to just tone down the offense a bit and punish the randomness.

Well, boxer outprioritizes everything viper does. Also when you pop in lag, your mixups won't be perfectly timed while he can just jab mash out of everything (and he kinda did lol.) Offline I'm sure would have been a different story.

bengraven

Bought on Steam during the sale and it FINALLY finished downloading. I also ended up buying the costume pack in a moment of insanity and after lecturing myself for five minutes, I found a reason why paying $12.50 for the pack wasn't an issue:

StreetFighterIV2010-01-0215-10-16-0.jpg

Windows/Xbox Live: Deo Diabolikal
Steam: mrdiabolikal

ACE 1991

Probably going to pick this game up with a fightpad... Are the fightpads good? I don't want to drop the bones on a stick, and I've heard good things about the pad.

noisome07

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Probably going to pick this game up with a fightpad... Are the fightpads good? I don't want to drop the bones on a stick, and I've heard good things about the pad.

IMO if you have access to one, try a PS3 controller before you decide to pickup a fightpad.

FindMyFarms said:
It's about time the world knows!

DTX represent!
Adnan, you esssssss!!! I thought he was living Nor Cal now. Must be something in the Cali water. The best player in Texas and East Coast decide to move out west.

ACE, I've seen some places sell the Fightpad for $20. IF you can find one, buy it. The durability is still questionable but a great pad to play the game with. I've also seen the Fightstick SE on Amazon for $50, so that could be another option.

Spiderjericho said:
Adnan, you esssssss!!! I thought he was living Nor Cal now. Must be something in the Cali water. The best player in Texas and East Coast decide to move out west.

Haha, actually Buktooth is from Norcal(buk, ricky, and choi were the norcal CvS2 trio), but moved down to dallas around 06 I think. He goes back for the holidays and what not, which is why he was on the Keystone stream.

I'm an esssssss T_T

RS4- said:
Hahah, I actually use Ryu :(

But you used gief on me in the tourney :(

bengraven

I remember why I stopped playing fighting games. I kick the shit out of all the arcade characters, then keep getting my ass wiped with the final boss. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I really do think the PC SF4 netcode is better for some reason.

XBL, PSN- I play a Brazilian, the match is so laggy I put them on my ban list just to not play them again. (usually applies to most Mexicans for console, only Blazblue excepted)

SF4 PC- I play a Brazilian and it's like playing a west coaster. Some lag definitely, but I could do my stuff.

I have no idea why the PC version has better netcode, it makes no sense.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
arstal said:

XBL, PSN- I play a Brazilian, the match is so laggy I put them on my ban list just to not play them again. (usually applies to most Mexicans for console, only Blazblue excepted)

SF4 PC- I play a Brazilian and it's like playing a west coaster. Some lag definitely, but I could do my stuff.

I think it might have more to do with the actual machine people are playing on. Two good PCs running the game would likely have less lag than two consoles at the same distance.

vocab

arstal said:

Maybe because PC doesn't have to go through a bullshit infrastructure like Live or PSN, and maybe because networking in general makes a lot more sense on PC.

yurinka

arstal said:

Maybe the Brazilian you faced in PC had a better connection than the brazilians and mexicans you faced in console. Or who knows, maybe there are better servers for the PC version.

The netcode of the game is the same.
vocab said:
Maybe because PC doesn't have to go through a bullshit infrastructure like Live or PSN, and maybe because networking in general makes a lot more sense on PC.
SFIV in PC also uses Live.

ACE 1991

noisome07 said:
Ah shit, my bad. All this talk about PC is making me think you were playing on PC, haha. My bad, my bad.

So is a fightpad a good place to start, and if I get more serious invest in a good stick?

vocab

yurinka said:
SFIV in PC also uses Live.

True, but it's not limited by the components of the console. So networking is more true to PC standards which is better than going through a consoles middle man network. GFWL doesn't even feel like it's a service that you go through, more like a distraction. Still, the net code of SFIV, combined with the horrible matchmaking makes for unsatisfying experience on every platform. I've had unplayable games on all three platforms. Someone really needs to make decent netcode for modern fighting games.

VaLiancY

Spiderjericho said:
Watching the IPW stream recording. Buktooth is sick!!

I'm watching it now while taking a break from Chuck. I'm loving that commentator right now in the Kineda vs Ricky Ortiz match

Edit - "This is like Lex Steele vs Belladonna's ass right now":lol :lol :lol

ACE 1991 said:
So is a fightpad a good place to start, and if I get more serious invest in a good stick?
Listen to me. Spiderjericho say to cop that shit!! Go get Mad Gatz Fightpad for Twenynine ohr Fightstick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M22WLU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=videogames&field-keywords=fightpad&x=0&y=0

You PAY NOW so you no scared!!

Haunts, props on the stream. Some good comp. Choi, Buktooth, Rom, Ricky Ortiz were in attendance. Magus with too many N-bombs. I'm not sure where he got the pass. Guess he channeling Yipes.

Top Bottom