• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

catfish said:
hey gaf, pick my new character!

I've just graduated from xbox to PC gaming due to low low prices and since I'm going to start SFIV again, might as well do it with a new character.

My previous mains

Blanka - he's awesome but with terrible shortcommings, see blanka vs Balrog and blanka vs sagat

Bison - can't land his ultra for shit and he has no anti air.

So pick my character gaf! I'm half thinking I should just go ryu or sagat because I'm no good with the dominant characters. I kind of like Ken, but don't wanna be a ken scrub :lol

I also only play online, so I guess having an 'online friendly' character would be a good idea, not too many ridiculous links for their bnbs.
isnt bisons Anti air jumping and doing mp or standing HK.. or.. cr. FP (Slow as hell) or head stomp? D:

GGs to Ysiadmihi - He and I just went 40+ games on random select..

We both rolled Rose like 6 times.. ridiculous..!

For a point there I was getting Rose, Akuma, Rose, Viper, Viper, Rose, Akuma, Akuma, Rose

It was like wtf.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
catfish said:

I've just graduated from xbox to PC gaming due to low low prices and since I'm going to start SFIV again, might as well do it with a new character.

My previous mains

Blanka - he's awesome but with terrible shortcommings, see blanka vs Balrog and blanka vs sagat

So pick my character gaf! I'm half thinking I should just go ryu or sagat because I'm no good with the dominant characters. I kind of like Ken, but don't wanna be a ken scrub :lol

I also only play online, so I guess having an 'online friendly' character would be a good idea, not too many ridiculous links for their bnbs.

Chun is fun!

Timedog said:
Chun is fun!
So about Chun..

Her links.. seem effin ez..

I was playing agst Ysia and I swear I was hitting 7 hit links with her like no other.. Im so pro...

I would just random jump in and jab twice then do cr. lk a few times then EX legs and suddenly 7 hits would come up lol..

I did it a few times.. i was like wtf?

EDIT:

Why is Smokemax kid arguing with TimeDog?

SmokeMaxX
(Today, 05:09 AM)
Reply | Quote

Ohh

Makes sense.. Your new to GAF.

Well then.. You've been officially TIMEDOGGED

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ogs said:
So yeah heres my benchmark score.....

Does that look right to you ? Ingame settings are all on High/Highest.

That seems a little low to me but I'm not familiar with Intel CPUs or modern ATI GPUs :lol

For reference, with a Phenom II X4 940 and GTX 260, I think I got an S with the settings completely maxed at 1920x1080.

TurtleSnatcher: GGs, that was fun :D For all the Rose that was popping up I'm surprised we didn't have at least one Rose vs Rose battle...or maybe we did and I just don't remember :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TurtleSnatcher said:
So about Chun..

Her links.. seem effin ez..

I was playing agst Ysia and I swear I was hitting 7 hit links with her like no other.. Im so pro...

I would just random jump in and jab twice then do cr. lk a few times then EX legs and suddenly 7 hits would come up lol..

I did it a few times.. i was like wtf?
c LP and c LK chain, not link. Generally speaking, Chun-Li's combos that use meter are much easier than the combos that do not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok, charge characters.... out I think. I have 2 already. probably should learn the 'other' fighters.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I have a 13 inch Mac Book Pro, running Snow Leopard.

Anyone know of any easy way to get SF4 PC running on it? :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MarkMan said:
I have a 13 inch Mac Book Pro, running Snow Leopard.

Anyone know of any easy way to get SF4 PC running on it? :)
Bootcamp. Install windows. Install steam. Install SF4. Set resolution to 640x480, models to Medium, backgrounds to High, and everything else to Low.

MIMIC

Banned
catfish said:

My previous mains

Seth!

Won

catfish said:

My previous mains

So pick my character gaf! I'm half thinking I should just go ryu or sagat because I'm no good with the dominant characters. I kind of like Ken, but don't wanna be a ken scrub

You could pick Cammy, though she sucks pretty hard!

But if you want a char without shortcomings just pick Ryu.

MrMephistoX

Hitokage said:
Bootcamp. Install windows. Install steam. Install SF4. Set resolution to 640x480, models to Medium, backgrounds to High, and everything else to Low.

Ummm no need to set it that low. I have the exact same machine ( just one revision back so it's actually little slower and doesn't have SLI video like the pro) and I'm able to run it at 1280X720 with medium models and high backgrounds.

I had to turn the effects and use parallel rendering but I'm able to average 59 FPS. You should be able to get it much faster...I also set the framerate to variable and shut off V-Synch.

So, I just bought this game and, although I played a lot of SFII as a kid, I don't understand most of the stuff you are talking about, this game seems now too complicated :/
Can anyone tell me of some place where to have an overview of how the game works, tips and all that kind of stuff? Maybe some youtube tutorials, I don't know :/

bytesized said:
So, I just bought this game and, although I played a lot of SFII as a kid, I don't understand most of the stuff you are talking about, this game seems now too complicated :/
Can anyone tell me of some place where to have an overview of how the game works, tips and all that kind of stuff? Maybe some youtube tutorials, I don't know :/

http://iplaywinner.com/streetfighter4system

This is a pretty solid overview to everything. Also, the 1up SuperGuide Haunts/IPW put up helped me get started in this game, if only to remind of some basic strats from SF2 that carried over. They have it by character too.

http://mycheats.1up.com/view/section/3163881/26034/street_fighter_4/xbox_360

Wallach

catfish said:

My previous mains

Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
catfish said:

My previous mains

I just started with Bison

HK is his AA, yea its at a specific angle but he has good walk speed and a good dash.

im still not good at executing his Ultra half the time

By the way, huge WTFFFFUUUU at the backstreetboys music in the title screen and the awefully retarded intro sequences, I cannot get around how those two things made it into the game.

h3ro

bytesized said:
By the way, huge WTFFFFUUUU at the backstreetboys music in the title screen and the awefully retarded intro sequences, I cannot get around how those two things made it into the game.

You can't feel it coming over you?

I was just browsing iplaywinner and noticed that Ricky is soooo Stu Ungar.

ac5yrc.jpg
289a61l.jpg

AZ Greg

catfish said:

Go with Vega! He's fun. You'll probably catch a lot of people on PC by surprise too. The only link really worth learning is c.MK -> c.MP and it's fairly easy.

AA and comboing into ultra aren't exactly his strong points though. :lol

Threi

notag
hey can i take up timedog on his ryu vs bison challenge? :)

btw catfish try Balrog. He is a little like Bison but a lot safer.

Relix said:
Who do you main?

Gotta defend the Thigh!

I main E.Honda and here is my ranking of boring match-ups

Chun-Li
Seth
Blanka
Guile
Sagat
Balrog
Dhalsim
Ken
Ryu
Akuma
Rose

all of the above are highly boring to fight against

SF4 in general has more boring match-ups than SF3 or SF2 had, I hope they spike things up in Super because this turtling, Ultra sitting, crossing-up happy blah bores me to ends often at times

AZ Greg

gutter_trash said:
I main E.Honda and here is my ranking of boring match-ups

Chun-Li
Seth
Blanka
Guile
Sagat
Balrog
Dhalsim
Ken
Ryu
Akuma
Rose

all of the above are highly boring to fight against

So basically anyone who has tools against Honda? ;)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Man I've been on a big-ass slump lately. Losing to stuff I don't usually lose because of.

Like last night I was fighting Random Ryu Scrub. Dude was doing all kinds of unsafe tatus and stuff but I just kept on running into it. So eventually it ended up being the 3rd round, and we were both near death at opposite sides of the screen. I'm like "k, he's inevitably gonna do a full-screen tatsu, so I'm just gonna wait until then and hit him with c.hp." So for like 15 seconds I sit at the opposite side of the screen and do nothing but feints while dodging fireballs. Of course, as soon as I finally do a real seismo, the dude does hk tatsu across the screen and tags me.

gutter_trash said:
nah, anyone who turtles excessively against Honda

Well, Honda is kind of like Gief in the way that he slows the match down like a mofo against anyone he plays, not to mention Honda is just a slow safe character in this game to begin with.

Perhaps try giving Bison more playtime?

Wallach

Lost Fragment said:
Man I've been on a big-ass slump lately. Losing to stuff I don't usually lose because of.

Like last night I was fighting Random Ryu Scrub. Dude was doing all kinds of unsafe tatus and stuff but I just kept on running into it. So eventually it ended up being the 3rd round, and we were both near death at opposite sides of the screen. I'm like "k, he's inevitably gonna do a full-screen tatsu, so I'm just gonna wait until then and hit him with c.hp." So for like 15 seconds I sit at the opposite side of the screen and do nothing but feints while dodging fireballs. Of course, as soon as I finally do a real seismo, the dude does hk tatsu across the screen and tags me.

See, if you were fighting me, it would have been the same deal - except I play Sakura so my stuff doesn't actually cover the whole screen and you would have won. :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Stream looks pretty good Haunts.

Wallach said:
See, if you were fighting me, it would have been the same deal - except I play Sakura so my stuff doesn't actually cover the whole screen and you would have won. :lol

Nah, in your case you would've done ex hop-and-hit-you-in-the-face move across the screen.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Nose Master said:
Played Shine last night on XBL... he was playing Sagat :lol

yeah, i ran into shine's sagat on xbl last week...lots of random tiger uppercuts iirc, lost to my shitty guile. this dude beat sanford at a tourney?

drohne said:
yeah, i ran into shine's sagat on xbl last week...lots of random tiger uppercuts iirc, lost to my shitty guile. this dude beat sanford at a tourney?

He beat sanford in the winners bracket, but sanford came back and beat him 6-0 in the grand finals.

The kid pretty much had the fuckin stars align as he had the luckiest tourney run ever in the history of sf4.

Top Bottom