• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Leunam

_dementia said:
I kinda hate fighting chun with abel because her pokes are so good and his normals are dog shit.

Her pokes are great, but I wouldn't say Abels normals are all dogshit. They certainly don't have the reach that she does. :(

I guess they all are kinda crap in this match when you see her normals and compare.

XenoRaven said:
Wouldn't that make it make it easy for him to get in?

Heyooooooo

lol

PhatSaqs

Banned
Relix said:
I am bored and waiting for someone to join the game so I am gonna make my Chun Match Up Guide!!!

Sagat: 5-5 (footsies people, footsies)
Ryu: 5-5
Ken: 5-5
Akuma 4-6 (he really limits Chun)
Viper: 5-5 (don't get up too fast)
Gief: 5-5 (She has maanyyy tools for him but her puny health and pathetic damage output really puts her at a disadvantage. He can quickly kill you while you have to work your ass off... well like most Chun matches =P)
Rufus: 4-6 (quite probably her worst matchup. You need spacing, but like Zangief he can easily dispose of you. Hell I would put this at 3-7 :lol )
Abel: 5-5 (Personally I've never faced an Abel that cleaned the floor with me and her tools against him are huge. Just avoid going into air fights or rely on attacks with lots of recovery frames.
Bison: 5-5
Honda: 6-4 (she has the advantage. Watch out of his crazy damage though, Ultra when you get the chance, especially blocked headbutts. Just keep him guessing, cross ups, don't get hasty. Easy match... well, usually)
Balrog: 5-5 (I was tempted to put 4-6, but she has some good tools against him. Just watch out fr crazy damage, better footsies and can outjab you)
Cammy: lolz 0-10.... 5-5 (You have good tools for her, can beat her in the air, faster footsies, better jabs. She can punish heavily though)
Blanka: 5-5 (You can't easily Ultra him after a ball. It can be tough, just defend from the cross ups).
I think I am done. I got tired writing this :lol
Lets get you some Rose :)

XenoRaven

Man, I have to play you sometime soon Relix. I added you months ago and still haven't played you.

Gotta learn some crazy Chun-Li tricks so I can not suck anymore. =D

Also, the Christmas Owl is a big fat liar.

ptown

Hey Lost Fragment, when you do TK feints to (regular) jumping BK, is there a purpose for the TK feints outside of well... the feint (maybe for jumping BK execution?) or are you just stylin'?:lol

AZ Greg

Relix said:
He's bullshitting you on the outpoke area haha. Maybe deep you can, but middle distance he beats her squarely.

Well I never said outpoke, just that she can poke me pretty well. Especially against my style. :(

And I'm at ~600 hours. Though, at the risk of offending environmentalists :lol, I'd say ~150 hours of that are me just idling in the menu while I do something else. It's crazy to think that since the release of SF4, other than Modern Warfare 2 which I put around 15 hours into, I don't think I've played any other game for more than an hour or two. Sucks that I'm actually looking forward to other games this year beyond SSF4. :(

I have about 800+ on 360 and about 100 on the PS3. I am kind of burnt out SFIV though, so I have been playing less and less.

Relix - I think I pretty much agree with your matchups, more or less. I agree that Rufus, Cammy, and Akuma are her hardest matches. Chun doesn't handle pressure that well and a good Akuma pretty much shuts down most of her options.

Chun vs Blanka is 5-5, off line....but 4-6 online, lol ;-)

Lost Fragment - luv ur viper, but please also post some of ur cammy :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Very nice games Saqs :D . I kinda got carried away and kept doing repetitive stuff at the end which cost me the set at the end. but well... I was trying to find ways to get in. Fun games :D Much better than the last time we played... that was months ago haha.

Next time I take the set. You definitely have the best Rose out there :D

5-5 still =P

AZ Greg said:
Well I never said outpoke, just that she can poke me pretty well. Especially against my style. :(

And I'm at ~600 hours. Though, at the risk of offending environmentalists :lol, I'd say ~150 hours of that are me just idling in the menu while I do something else. It's crazy to think that since the release of SF4, other than Modern Warfare 2 which I put around 15 hours into, I don't think I've played any other game for more than an hour or two. Sucks that I'm actually looking forward to other games this year beyond SSF4. :(
wtf

Okay now i feel bad.. I have pretty much 900 legit hrs =[

I need a life.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
PhatSaqs said:
Good games Rel :D. Took me a while to figure out I wasnt gonna be able to punish jumpins much lol.

I think its 4-6 chun ;)

Well, I kept overseeing simple stuff like the EX Spiral has invincible frames, though later I found out fast pokes neutralized it. I also don't have that much experience against Rose, you and maybe some other randoms out there but they are really in the minority haha. It's a different match up than most of the cast so you need to go with a different mindset and that takes getting some using to.

Still, great games, hope we play again down the road :D

I like Relix. He's a pokamon. I played him in the PSN tourney Find had a few months ago. He destroyed my Dan. Chun has excellent pokes. I don't know why people complained about the transition from TS to IV. She's only really missing the fireball motion, low forward and evil super.

I really wish they would give everyone a universal super motion for SuperSFIV. Some of the ultras would definitley become viable (Guile, Vega, Honda, etc).

qcf x2

Threi said:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=189300

*edit* If anyone is tired of bison's shit, all you have to do is:

1. Pick up anyone with a high-priority mashable dp-like move
2. Learn to fadc with it
3. Enjoy

Srk and one good poke can degrade bison's rushdown to almost nothing.

Yeah okay so that means: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Cammy. Out of the entire roster? You should post the "how to win with Bison" tutorial:

1. Ambiguous cross-up j. sk - don't worry if it crosses up, that's their problem because:
2. Always follow with cr. sk x 3, scissor kick - don't worry if they block, unless they are one of the elite few mentioned above. Just do another scissor kick.
3. If it ain't working or you wanna be a dick, just fly away against characters without projectiles.
4. (Not necessary) Use random jumping MP.
5. Count the wins, admire your skillz!

;)

FindMyFarms said:
I think Bison's really good. Same area that Rog is in.
Agreed.

I can see where he has to be more cautious due to people spamming a srk or something on wakeup to keep his pressure down but man.. his normal attacks like standing mk and hk are hot..

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
I think Bison's really good. Same area that Rog is in.
Bison is good, but not Rog level. No way. Rog does more damage, has specials that are just as safe, great pokes, good health, crazy fast walk speed, an anti air that is an actual anti air (cr.hp) and a means to consistently combo into ultra. I would put Bison slightly under Chun (she has much better pokes), as 3rd best charge char. Rog though is without a doubt the best charge char in the game.

I think guile is pretty underrated btw

*edit* His standing forward is a great (arguably his best) poke. Standing roundhouse is character dependant. It is godly against bigger chars, but can whiff against smaller/crouching opponents. As an anti-air its iffy and trades alot (not to mention its useless if the char is over your head/trying to crossup)

Threi said:
Bison is good, but not Rog level. No way. Rog does more damage, has specials that are just as safe, great pokes, good health, crazy fast walk speed, an anti air that is an actual anti air (cr.hp) and a means to consistently combo into ultra. I would put Bison slightly under Chun (she has much better pokes), as 3rd best charge char. Rog though is without a doubt the best charge char in the game.

I think guile is pretty underrated btw

*edit* His standing forward is a great (arguably his best) poke. Standing roundhouse is character dependant. It is godly against bigger chars, but can whiff against smaller/crouching opponents. As an anti-air its iffy and trades alot (not to mention its useless if the char is over your head/trying to crossup)

Rog doesn't have scissors kick trap though T_T

I can't put into words what makes bison good, I just know Jop mauled me along with every single player in the area (plus out of towners that came in) with Bison. He made bison look like the best character in the game, but he just says he's upper mid tier with Rog/Rufus. He did have the best bison in the country though, so that probably skews my view a little.

XenoRaven

Threi said:
I'm not saying I totally disagree, I just want to point out that simply comparing normals, specials, and offensive options doesn't do Bison many favors when talking about a matchup vs. Balrog. When talking about that matchup, I think it's unfair to omit how difficult Bison is to hit compared to Balrog. Bison can teleport, his scissors can't be FA'd and go through (over?) pokes. Also, he spends a lot of time in the air and can change direction and delay his fall to confuse you. It could be because I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with the matchup, but I fear Bison more than I do Balrog.

I'm reading that SRK gives Bison a lot of problems. Balrog can deal with that better than Bison, which perhaps may be the reason for the common idea that Balrog is so much better than Bison.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Spiderjericho said:
I like Relix. He's a pokamon. I played him in the PSN tourney Find had a few months ago. He destroyed my Dan. Chun has excellent pokes. I don't know why people complained about the transition from TS to IV. She's only really missing the fireball motion, low forward and evil super.

I really wish they would give everyone a universal super motion for SuperSFIV. Some of the ultras would definitley become viable (Guile, Vega, Honda, etc).

_dementia said:
Relix isn't on PSN...

Spiderjericho said:

I don't know why but this made me :lol Don't worry Spider, we'll play on PSN when I get SSF4 along the PS3... and the Xbox edition of course... and then the PC version whenever its released. I will need to mod my TE stick though =P

Threi

notag
qcf x2 said:
Yeah okay so that means: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Cammy. Out of the entire roster?
Yup, and Sagat.

qcf x2 said:
1. Ambiguous cross-up j. sk - don't worry if it crosses up, that's their problem because:
Not so ambiguous if you pay attention to Bison's jump arc. On the flipside it can fuck over the bison player as well.

qcf x2 said:
2. Always follow with cr. sk x 3, scissor kick - don't worry if they block, unless they are one of the elite few mentioned above. Just do another scissor kick.
His crouching shorts is his bnb, but unlike a certain boxer it's a 1-frame link and takes a bit of practice to learn. Also you can't really rack up big damage with it, or combo into ultra. Also, on block lk scissors leaves both people at even frames. If you get hit with another one its kinda your fault. It's kinda like the blocked tatsu thing (well a blocked scissors doesn't leave you close enough to throw) where its kind of a 50/50.

qcf x2 said:
Wanna be a dick, just fly away against characters without projectiles.
And risk reversal ultras :(
I won't lie though EX devil's reverse is pretty nice :D

qcf x2 said:
4. (Not necessary) Use random jumping MP.
Jumping mpx2 actually can be beaten out by a lot of things, i'm not sure where this conception of it having good priority comes from. Also, as you should know, random jumps are very risky, especially with someone with a jump arc as high as Bison. I personally spend the beginning of the match trying to figure out exactly when people tend to jump (usually after throw techs/defensive teleports) , so i can surprise them with it later (which blows up in my face quite often :lol). High risk, (kinda) high reward.

qcf x2 said:
5. Count the wins, admire your skillz!
Until you get out of G3.

XenoRaven said:
I'm not saying I totally disagree, I just want to point out that simply comparing normals, specials, and offensive options doesn't do Bison many favors when talking about a matchup vs. Balrog. When talking about that matchup, I think it's unfair to omit how difficult Bison is to hit compared to Balrog. Bison can teleport, his scissors can't be FA'd and go through (over?) pokes. Also, he spends a lot of time in the air and can change direction and delay his fall to confuse you. It could be because I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with the matchup, but I fear Bison more than I do Balrog.

I'm reading that SRK gives Bison a lot of problems. Balrog can deal with that better than Bison, which perhaps may be the reason for the common idea that Balrog is so much better than Bison.
I would say everyone has a harder time playing against Bison than against Balrog. Bison is so much more unorthodox, but the randomness comes at a price. Balrog plays more traditionally and solid, but also safer.

I will say one thing though. Get a large life lead on a Bison player and start turtling. His options really get limited.

I want to say first and foremost that I do not think that Bison is a poor char, but lately I have noticed that while other chars have been expanding their type of tricks and shenanigans as SF4 has matured, Bison's has actually been regressing in favor of being more refined. Which, has pretty much boiled down to an offensive game that consists of nothing other than scissors traps and dash/throw shenanigans.

FindMyFarms said:
Rog doesn't have scissors kick trap though T_T

I can't put into words what makes bison good, I just know Jop mauled me along with every single player in the area (plus out of towners that came in) with Bison. He made bison look like the best character in the game, but he just says he's upper mid tier with Rog/Rufus. He did have the best bison in the country though, so that probably skews my view a little.
Pshhh

I totally beat a Jop Bison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DP1UJ6GDrc

Wallach

Brandon F said:
Just curious what PC players are plugging in to play the game.

360 pad, and getting bodied for it constantly. :lol

Wish I had the money to get in on the Amazon 360 TE sale right now. Dying to get back on stick, I have a real hard time with some of Sakura's links. I'm just using c.lk for my l.tatsu link at this point because trying to nail the c.hp link when it's on a fuckin' trigger feels useless. I also seem to throw out random ultras when trying to EX tatsu on the analog stick for some reason. Hell, last night playing KakThInfected I went to punish a whiffed ultra with my own and went flying into the air with an airborne EX tatsu. It has a certain comedic value but is getting on my nerves.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Motherfuck, I wish my pc version was working and I'd make a sweet Timedog combo video, replete with a backdrop of Asia - Heat of the Moment.

Edit: OH FUCK, MY PC VERSION WORKS OUT OF NOWHERE!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, fuck me I just had the best match of street fighter in my life. I'll be uploading within the hour. My haters will be sucking mayonnaise through a fleshy straw after they see this.

Relix said:
I don't know why but this made me :lol Don't worry Spider, we'll play on PSN when I get SSF4 along the PS3... and the Xbox edition of course... and then the PC version whenever its released. I will need to mod my TE stick though =P

When I get my Live subscription card, we can play this week. I've played AZ. I don't think I've played Mimic or Turtlesnatcher aka Mini Pez.

Send your stick to Jay aka Akuma001.

And I think Boxer > Dictator. He just seems to have more tools, can use his ultra from headbutt or FA/Ultra, etc.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Timedog said:
Okay, fuck me I just had the best match of street fighter in my life. I'll be uploading within the hour. My haters will be sucking mayonnaise through a fleshy straw after they see this.
Tell em dog.

4267284150_ee17fa8625_o.jpg

Top Bottom