• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Ysiadmihi said:
*cue someone posting a video of one of the best Cammy players winning some matches*

Cammy does need a lot of work. She's not nearly as bad as some people make her out to be, but some matchups border on impossible if the opponent plays it right.

Oh she's not horrible but yeah does need some help, she does well if the other player can't use or doesn't have reliable aa normals or in some instances a good dp. Look at some of her worst matches, like Balrog, his wakeup may be crap but his normals from crouching are a major pita for Cammy to deal with.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
yeb said:
NEW AND EXCITING

Gen can parry.

Now that I think about it...if you had a programmable controller, you could actually 'parry' a full Ryu Ultra doing this, right? All it really requires is the input commands to be inputted at super human speeds...

This is actually what I want in SSF4, hopefully this is similar to the Tandan Saving system. IE, tap Focus Attack to get this parry like mechanic, while you'd need to hold it down to execute a focus.

Wallach

black_vegeta said:
WTF, how...no dash required...wha...

Focus Attack is canceled into his stance change, which he does standing still. This recovers pretty quickly. Definitely an interesting find.

Scary thought - I wonder if Sagat will be able to cancel his "scar touch" evade/DP bonus move from his FA. I will cry.

V_Arnold

Ability has nothing to do with being scrub or not being one.
Being a scrub is the INability to realize your mistakes and move on by correcting them.
Being a scrub means you would prefer playing the game by your own rules, blaming others for not being fair in the fight instead of seeing what you did wrong. And that is all.

All you need to have in this game to be quite good is two things:

1. Prediction
2. The ability to understand and execute basic combo strings.

Prediction is analyzing your opponents style in as little timeframe as possible, and predict the situations you both are going to step into, then preparing the neccessary moves to win.

As far as execution goes, you just need to be as good as to not mess up FADC->ultra, NEVER do an SRK move instead of a QCB/QCF, and be able to synchronize your movement and your button hitting hands.

Phatsaqs is right, you NEED natural talent to become a top player. Doesn't matter what hobby, sport or activity it is, all the best participants have both talent and work ethic.

BUT, this guy isn't trying to be Justin Wong for crying out loud, he just wants to be good enough to hold his own, and ANYONE can do that if they put in the time necessary.

For all new players, I think the number one thing is to be able to control all the space around you. I highly suggest playing Ryu, as he has all the necessary tools to understand the fundamentals in the game.

Keep it simple, if they're jumping in on you, shoryuken. IF they're far, Hadoken. If they're kind of near, do cr. mk. Just work on that and get a range of the distances. At it's core, sf4 is about controlling space.

Wiseblade

yeb said:
NEW AND EXCITING

Gen can parry.
That is INSANE! isn't this the kind of thing that shoots a character up a tier list?

LeMaximilian said:
This is actually what I want in SSF4, hopefully this is similar to the Tandan Saving system. IE, tap Focus Attack to get this parry like mechanic, while you'd need to hold it down to execute a focus.
Parries with grey health? I dunno...

Wallach said:
Focus Attack is canceled into his stance change, which he does standing still. This recovers pretty quickly. Definitely an interesting find.

Scary thought - I wonder if Sagat will be able to cancel his "scar touch" evade/DP bonus move from his FA. I will cry.

Don't give the Sagats any ideas, sssshhhhhhhhhh! -__-

Threi said:
oh god what

too bad it won't be showing up in SSF4

HA

oh and on the "natural skill" thing, wrong genre folks. Fighters is more about knowing the subtle details of the game.
uor rite, real parries in ssf4 ALL DAY

oh man no thanks :<

Wiseblade

LeMaximilian said:
Yea, it's mega risky, but could be suuuuper offensive.
Yeah, but it would be useless for characters with less than average health, isn't the grey health taken from focusing an attack more than the actual damage of the move?

yeb

Hitokage said:
Does stance change even have a recovery? You can do it mid-combo so I assume that animation is only for show.
Stance changing in a neutral state actually does have some recovery, 5 frames I think.

I hate getting hit in my stance change animation.

CPS2

LeMaximilian said:
Now that I think about it...if you had a programmable controller, you could actually 'parry' a full Ryu Ultra doing this, right? All it really requires is the input commands to be inputted at super human speeds...

As far as I can tell this doesn't work, unless you can really space out the hits in a multi-hit fireball. It should work for other multi hit moves though.

I just set MP and MK to FA, and LP and LK to stance change, and mashed FA~stance change~FA, but it only absorbs one hit.

yeb

LeMaximilian said:
Oh, didn't notice this before.

I don't think it would be possible, because there is some recovery for the stance change animation. I tried doing it with a super slow move (Gen's HP roll...) to recreate the classic Daigo moment, but it's still too hard for me. :lol

TimeKillr

drohne said:
i'm closing on 30 and my reflexes have gone to shit. i score at .2 seconds + on those online reflex tests, which is what, 12 frames? so i kind of struggle at basic sf things like punishing and antiairs and hit confirming. i don't play with the serious goal of improving my game, but i doubt i'd get anywhere if i did

I'm 31 myself.

My reflexes are still there. I can still do stuff on reaction (ask some of the people I play with). My execution has gone down a bit, but the rest is there.

One thing I did improve, MASSIVELY, from when I was younger, is pattern recognition. It's a huge strength, but also a big weakness...

See, when you're good at pattern recognition, you "learn" someone's play style. When I played 3s with Makoto, it was also psychic as to when I could do my abare tosonami (anti fireball super, mainly) because I could see those damn hadokens coming. From SUPER FAR AWAY. In SF4, with Abel, it's helped me a lot because using that I could master the d.fp 2nd hit AA and focus on followups to that. I've done rather good locally (I have really good comp) because people underestimate Abel's AA ability since a lot of Abel players kind of suck at doing AA. I can "feel" jumps, just like Haunts said. It's due to a combination of factors, but hey.

Now the problem is I don't have a large enough pool of players. This means I play 3 Sagats, an insanely good Chun who wins all of our freaking tournaments (and is probably one of the best players in Canada overall), etc. I learn those guys. I played one of my buds, who plays Ryu, a shit ton. The problem is whenever I play against Ryu, I play against HIS Ryu, expecting his pattern to pop up, which is almost never the case. If I start playing better Ryus, I grab their patterns, only to get my bud to beat me for a few matches until I "get" his pattern again.

It's kinda weird. Every player I've played has a pattern. Every single one. Even the top tier Chun player. After a few matches, he still beats me, but I do get to see through his mixups and I get to live longer.

As another example - we have another Abel player here. He's clearly better than me overall, does better than me in all the tourneys, etc. We're good buds, so there's no big deal, but whenever we play, we go almost 80-20 in my favor. Why? I've seen him play SO MUCH that I know every little thing he does, every time. I know his pokes inside out. It infuriates him (lol) but it's how it always is.

Seriously, with age, your skillset moves around. We have an Empire Arcadia member (prez), apparently the only one who is outside of NYC, who lives in Montreal. Who regularly plays with us. The dude is about my age. His reaction time is completely INSANE. I've seen him do Sagat's ultra on reaction to Hazan Shou mixups (it's not easy, believe me).

So no worries. Just pick a character, stick to it, learn it inside out, and train with people better than you.

anyone want to add me my psn id: chicko1983

Im looking in particular for people from Australia and New Zealand, they are only places I get 3+ bars of connectivity.

Im just learning how to use a stick after years on a pad so go easy on me, I'll be online in about 6hrs.

cheers

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think muscle memory and recognizing situations more quickly cause you've seen/been in them so many times is PART of reaction time. My "reaction time" has gotten better since I started playing this game after not playing fighting games for 10+ years, even though my reflexes probably have not.

ShinNL

Rocky_Balboa said:
Also GGs Soneet. Too bad the connection wasn't that good. The connection with Ysiadmihi was better even though he's from the states.
GGs. You got a really really solid Boxer and you pretty much kicked my ass with him. I wish I could have tasted it without secondary things changing the experience. Hopefully next time :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
_dementia said:
Was Majestros' latest posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krmHlGDskx4

Holy shit.

Now I need some clarification, these are assisted and that means that he uses macros to get the moves of and record the moves, nothing else right? (by that I mean, no slow motion or shit like that)

Im not saying this doesnt take crazy amount of work, I just want to make it clear in my head that otherwise, these combos are impossible to pull off in a match.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...7#post19385917

Wed. Night Fights!

Special guests today: Marn, FlashMetroid, PerfectSin

----

http://tinyurl.com/gytdonate

Donate at least $5 towards their awesome stream! You'll have your name thrown in to a special raffle for a Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition!

If you want I'll sign it with my lipstick too. GET HYPE!

---

If we go over 500 viewers, we'll have another TE stick raffle for stream viewers via twitter.

AND!

We'll give away 3 TE stick keychains.

Get hype, MarkMan <3s the community. Mad Catz got ya back GYT!

Raging Spaniard said:
Now I need some clarification, these are assisted and that means that he uses macros to get the moves of and record the moves, nothing else right? (by that I mean, no slow motion or shit like that)

Im not saying this doesnt take crazy amount of work, I just want to make it clear in my head that otherwise, these combos are impossible to pull off in a match.
If it were not possible during a regular match, Maj would include a disclaimer.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
FindMyFarms said:
GG's Hito, Q, Lyte, and Proto

GG's Find-- you cleaned my clock as usual. I was surprised I got that win with Gief against Cammy. :lol Thinking of taking up Gief or Abel as alts...want to get back to using a grappler again. Although maybe it's pointless to take up someone else with Super only a few months away.

GG's to Q...those Dan vs. Dan matches were EPIC! :lol I got your Seth down with Chun...dunno how I'd do using anyone else though.

And GG's to Proto...in Tekken. LAAAAAAAAAAAAG as usual; I forgot how bad it was when we play each other! Did I seem any better? I think I'm a total scrub and the only reason I was able to beat you was cuz of lag.

BTW, here's a fun Tekken 6 tale from last night.
Had some better matches tonight, but there's still too many idiots playing. This time I didn't get any rage quitters, but I did run into this one guy with a mic who bitched and whined nonstop. Right at the beginning, he was talking to someone else offline and saying how "these bitches don't know how to play this game...always complaining when they lose." And he did nothing but that. I ran into him again right before I stopped playing for the night (maybe 45 minutes later), and he was using the same character as me. "I FINALLY FOUND THAT LYTE GUY WATCH ME BEAT HIS FUCKIN' ASS! I CAN DO THE SAME SHIT YOU LIKE THAT BITCH?!?" Unfortunately, he couldn't do the same shit and he lost. There's no way to find people in Tekken 6, so this guy spent all that time hoping to catch me again. Tekken players continue to amaze me.

Top Bottom