• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

imtehman

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
GGs Rocky. Way too good for my Cammy :lol

I desperately need to pick up someone new (like I said I would a week ago) but everytime I try it I just get bored :lol Separate BP counts for different characters should be a fun way to level up alts in Super :D

try viper, she reinvigorated my love for the series

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
Nobody ever seems to be on the GAFeurobrawler account :(

I still play but I migrated to PC!

But I have exam coming up for work and been studyin...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
going to try to do haunts vs the world tonight and stay true to my word - XBL only again...

actually might go pick up component cables and a switcher tonight..and a wii...and uhh.. shit this is getting expensive.

Risible

I'm an old-school casual SF player (I'm 45, so you can imagine exactly how old school I am), and I really want to up my game. I love SF to death, but none of my old fogey friends are into it any more so I can't play locally.

When I play online I get crushed. I don't mind getting crushed if it's instructive, but honestly it all happens so fast that I don't even have time to learn exactly what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it - everything turns into a blur.

Am I too old for the game? Are my reflexes just not up to it? Or is it just a matter of more practice and getting the muscle-memory down?

Really, my main question is how did you all learn to play so well? Did you play mainly against humans, or practice using the training features built into the game, or what? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Ysiadmihi said:
GGs Rocky. Way too good for my Cammy :lol

I desperately need to pick up someone new (like I said I would a week ago) but everytime I try it I just get bored :lol Separate BP counts for different characters should be a fun way to level up alts in Super :D

Yeah GGs. There were some nice comebacks from both of us. At first I was in trouble, but then I chose the boring but more effective style and I started winning again. Turtling is good against Cammy sometimes.

Also GGs Soneet. Too bad the connection wasn't that good. The connection with Ysiadmihi was better even though he's from the states.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Risible said:
I'm an old-school casual SF player (I'm 45, so you can imagine exactly how old school I am), and I really want to up my game. I love SF to death, but none of my old fogey friends are into it any more so I can't play locally.

When I play online I get crushed. I don't mind getting crushed if it's instructive, but honestly it all happens so fast that I don't even have time to learn exactly what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it - everything turns into a blur.

Am I too old for the game? Are my reflexes just not up to it? Or is it just a matter of more practice and getting the muscle-memory down?

Really, my main question is how did you all learn to play so well? Did you play mainly against humans, or practice using the training features built into the game, or what? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Well, until mid-level, low execution can get you by. Just turtle and punish everything.

My execution is probably the crappiest on here, and I hold my own vs the mid-level comp, it's the upper-level comp that gets me.

Risible said:

A buddy of mine who is the best Dhalsim plays locally at home/friends house and the arcade against the rest of the SoCal SF IV players. When I start playing this game I'll be playing with friends and when alone, I'll be playing online.

I suppose just watch videos when you're not playing to see what does what.

Teknopathetic said:
I already called dibs on Farms months ago when they announced the team mode. No room for you, Jericho!

Don't hate the player, hate the game!! Yo hoe chose me cuz I get that FIGHT MONEY NINJA!!

You didn't see Find cheering on my scrubby Dan, as Haunts assaulted me with the jab of death?

You lucky there's room for you on our team, hence from this day forth. FindizzleintheBedizzleuptheSpidizzlefothetekizzle.

Haunts, good ish. I think that's a great idea to buy the component cables and a switcher. It gives everyone an opportunity to play you. Your execution is so godly, it's kind of like play a pro.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Risible said:
To get and become really good it takes two things IMO: 1) Natural ability, 2) Access to good competition.

No natural ability = scrub for life. No access to good comp = scrub killer for life. Having neither is a total waste of time.

Risible

I tried turtling, but then it seems like they go "combo-combo-combo-throw", rinse, repeat. I can never seem to safely get out of the turtle mode before they throw me.

XenoRaven

Risible said:

I'm 24 and I find myself asking the same questions. Already my reflexes are noticably slower than they used to be. The best I can say is practice. Look up combos and player guides for your character of choice online, go into training mode, and get them down. Do the challenge mode trials for your character and get those down. Most of all, keep playing people. I've found I learn most when I have extended sessions with one person. But it's also important to play a variety of people in order to be able to adapt to different play styles. GAF is great for this. There's almost always someone looking for a game. I'm sure if you stated your intent to learn the game better, there would be plenty of players (myself included) that would take it easy on you and try to show you the ropes. Relix did this for me a little and it helped quite a bit.

The more you play and the more you get familiar with the game, the better your reflexes will get and the moves will start to become second nature to you. As you play, you'll notice where your strengths are and where the holes in your game are. One of my bad habits used to be not dashing after a Focus Attack hit. So I went into training mode, turned off stun, and just kept hitting FA > Dash > HK Legs (I main Chun-Li) over and over just to get it into my head. It's not second nature yet, but it's definitely getting there.

Risible

PhatSaqs said:
To get and become really good it takes two things IMO: 1) Natural ability, 2) Access to good competition.

No natural ability = scrub for life. No access to good comp = scrub killer for life. Having neither is a total waste of time.

I should be clear - I just want to get good enough to have fun. I don't care if I lose as long as I at least had a fighting chance. I have no illusions about becoming the next Daigo. :)

PhatSaqs said:

Hey, I don't mind kicking Teknopathic off of our team if you're willing to grace us with your presence.

And you're right. I think that's my problem. There's is absolutely no scene in the desert of the Mojave (unless you like MW2). So my only comp comes from online.

Back when I lived in Florida, I used to go to the arcade and play A2, A3, TS or 2I. It definitely helped you to play better. But online is sort of bridging the gap, as there are a lot of new fighting game celebrities courtesy of online.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
PhatSaqs said:

Thats bullshit. It's all hard work -- yes some people have better reaction time and stuff but you dont have to have "natural ability" to be good at fighting games. I mean sure if you are missing a left hand or something thats an extreme case, but just like justin wong says, ANYONE CAN BE A TOP PLAYER.

Risible said:

What's up Old School (we'll just call you "Old School" from here on out),

Age and reflexes do begin to downgrade as you get older, but you're not at the age were you're at a total disadvantage. It mostly comes down to playing against some good comp (like us GAF folk :D ) and learning from your mistakes. We main different characters mostly and we'll be happy to give you constructive critisism after some matches. Haunts and Mr. Jared started to put on the live streams (almost daily) where you can have some matches against them, they record the streams so you can go back and analyize your match and learn from them.

Going into practice mode will help out your muscle memory when it comes to combos and timing. Knowing the matchups for your characters also helps alot. There's certain things you can do against one character that cannot be done against the other...check out www.shoryuken.com for some great matchup info. They have them available in the forums at a character by character basis.

Ummmm, what else...we're not too far from you age wise. Most of us are in our late 20's or early 30's. Look at Alex Valle and John Choi, still placing high at tournament's at their ages. The overall best thing is to have fun!

Fellow Gaffers, care to help this gentleman out. I provided all the info I could think as of right now...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Risible said:
I should be clear - I just want to get good enough to have fun. I don't care if I lose as long as I at least had a fighting chance. I have no illusions about becoming the next Daigo. :)

If you want to be good quickly, pick a strong character like Ryu, Boxer or Sagat. Learn combos you can reasonably pull off in each match (do what you CAN, not what you CANT) and learn the way the character should be played, not the way you think they should be played. There are a ton of guides and videos out there to teach you that stuff.

Watch top players and see what they do, espically in matches you have problems with.

If you dont have access to good local comp but have decent internet, play online HELLA. When you run into a good player on ranked/championship mode, invite them to a player match and play them until they leave.

go to SRK and see if there is a good local scene in your area -- you can learn a lot by showing up to gatherings and finding a mentor.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Your reflexes may not be at their absolute best, but come on, you have people into their 40s racing or playing baseball. Even Daigo is approaching 30.

PhatSaqs

Banned
haunts said:
Thats bullshit. It's all hard work -- yes some people have better reaction time and stuff but you dont have to have "natural ability" to be good at fighting games. I mean sure if you are missing a left hand or something thats an extreme case, but just like justin wong says, ANYONE CAN BE A TOP PLAYER.
I dont agree with that at all. Seen way too much to believe anyone can just jump in and be good. People who have played for YEARS and never leveled up. People who only play in their circle of friends/local arcade and kick all of their asses only to get smacked repeatedly when they start traveling to tourneys.

The ability to react to a situation and/or adapt quickly in fighting games is not something that can change from grinding and working hard at it IMO and these are two huge keys to being really good. You may get better. But comapred to the reactionary time of someone like Choi, you'll probably never get close unless most of it was already there naturally.

XenoRaven

haunts said:
Actually there is a somewhat well-known one-handed SF player. ONEHANDEDTERROR (I think there's some 3's and 0's in there or something but whatever). He plays Chun and is pretty good. My friend sent me some videos of the guy playing his cousin who is also great. He ended up getting beat, but he's still a hell of a lot better than me. I'll see if I can find the videos when I get home.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PhatSaqs said:
I dont agree with that at all. Seen way too much to believe anyone can just jump in and be good. People who have played for YEARS and never leveled up. People who only play in their circle of friends/local arcade and kick all of their asses only to get smacked repeatedly when they start traveling to tourneys.

The ability to react to a situation and/or adapt quickly in fighting games is not something that can change from grinding and working hard at it IMO and these are two huge keys to being really good. You may get better. But comapred to the reactionary time of someone like Choi, you'll probably never get close unless most of it was already there naturally.
I recently came across this page:

http://www.shoryuken.com/content.php?r=47-Don-t-train-hard-TRAIN-SMART-21-21-21-21

PhatSaqs said:

In the end.. He wants to just be able to play online and be decent..

Hardwork and playing a decent amount and watching others play online and mimicing things can get you pretty far just doing that.

No need to sound like the Debbie Downer of the Fighting Game Community. Last thing this community needs is someone to say "Hey tough luck you joined too late so you are screwed and will never enjoy this game" when it simply isn't true unless they want to be like the next Justin Wong or win some big tourney in some Cali Fuddruckers.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm closing on 30 and my reflexes have gone to shit. i score at .2 seconds + on those online reflex tests, which is what, 12 frames? so i kind of struggle at basic sf things like punishing and antiairs and hit confirming. i don't play with the serious goal of improving my game, but i doubt i'd get anywhere if i did

haunts

Bacon of Hope
PhatSaqs said:

The ability to react to a situation and/or adapt quickly in fighting games is not something that can change from grinding and working hard at it IMO and these are two huge keys to being really good. But comapred to the reactionary time of someone like Choi, you'll probably never get close unless most of it was already there naturally.

You are so wrong on so many levels. I didn't say "jump in" and be good, its hard work. You have to play like crazy, go to a ton of tournaments. We are all equipped with the same ability to at least put up a fighting chance against decent players.

Like you, I've seen a ton of players come and go -- there are those who are complacent with their place in the scene and dont care about really getting to that next level, then there are others who have the passion and desire to drive hella far to go to tournaments or play online for fuckin 10 hours a day or DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to get good.

You think I have any "natural ability"? hell no. the only reason I made it out of EVO pools or whatever else I've accomplished is because I played like crazy and worked hard.

Natural ability like good reaction time will HELP, but it really has very very very little to do with becoming a pain in the ass for your opponent.

I go to gatherings and there are those who play the whole time, and others who just play a little and would rather shoot the shit and smoke cigs. It's not natural ability, it's just the desire to become better.

Why do you think people have so many different styles? Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, it's just about focusing on your strong points so they overshadow your weaknesses but also having a good understanding of what your weaknesses are so you know which situations to stay out of.

None of this has anything to do with natural ability! Please dont tell this guy that has anything to do with being good! He will jsut say to himself "oh well I guess I wasnt born to play fighting games!" THAT IS BULLSHIT! ANYONE CAN BE GOOD!

We arent playing football or something! You dont have to be an ATHLETE to be good at this! you just have to GRIND IT OUT!!

toneroni

Risible said:
I think watching a lot of videos (especially when there is good commentary) and reading tutorials here and there helped me out a lot.
iplaywinner.com (haunts' site as a buncha good info)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
drohne said:
i'm closing on 30 and my reflexes have gone to shit. i score at .2 seconds + on those online reflex tests, which is what, 12 frames? so i kind of struggle at basic sf things like punishing and antiairs and hit confirming. i don't play with the serious goal of improving my game, but i doubt i'd get anywhere if i did
Well, one thing that might be hurting your score in those tests is the speed at which your finger can go from at rest to pressing down on your mouse button. I only started using arcade sticks seriously recently so when I tried those some months ago I was much faster holding the mouse up and using my thumb than I was simply clicking.

Another thing, although not as important, is the delay between the program producing the action prompt and it actually showing onscreen.

PhatSaqs

Banned
haunts said:
You are so wrong on so many levels. I didn't say "jump in" and be good, its hard work. You have to play like crazy, go to a ton of tournaments. We are all equipped with the same ability to at least put up a fighting chance against decent players.

Like you, I've seen a ton of players come and go -- there are those who are complacent with their place in the scene and dont care about really getting to that next level, then there are others who have the passion and desire to drive hella far to go to tournaments or play online for fuckin 10 hours a day or DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to get good.

You think I have any "natural ability"? hell no. the only reason I made it out of EVO pools or whatever else I've accomplished is because I played like crazy and worked hard.

Natural ability like good reaction time will HELP, but it really has very very very little to do with becoming a pain in the ass for your opponent.

I go to gatherings and there are those who play the whole time, and others who just play a little and would rather shoot the shit and smoke cigs. It's not natural ability, it's just the desire to become better.

Why do you think people have so many different styles? Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, it's just about focusing on your strong points so they overshadow your weaknesses but also having a good understanding of what your weaknesses are so you know which situations to stay out of.

None of this has anything to do with natural ability! Please dont tell this guy that has anything to do with being good! He will jsut say to himself "oh well I guess I wasnt born to play fighting games!" THAT IS BULLSHIT! ANYONE CAN BE GOOD!

We arent playing football or something! You dont have to be an ATHLETE to be good at this! you just have to GRIND IT OUT!!
We just have to agree to disagree on the major points of this. I can certainly look to myself as an example and say that my ability in terms of reaction time and adapting isnt what it was 10 years ago. And it certainly isnt from a lack of playing or tournament participation.....

But yeah anyone can be "good" and have fun sure..... I guess I went above and beyond exactly what was being asked :lol

qcf x2

Risible said:
I tried turtling, but then it seems like they go "combo-combo-combo-throw", rinse, repeat. I can never seem to safely get out of the turtle mode before they throw me.

Throws are retarded in SF4, especially online, so don't sweat that too much. As for things moving too fast, just learn things step by step, piece by piece. Training Mode is a great tool to get a feel for the general timing of the game which is (imo) pretty awkward. And then of course you can practice small combos then better combos, set up the CPU dummy to repeat the attacks that you have problems with and learn reliable counters. Then do the trials if you haven't already. And when you do the trials, try to repeat the ones that gave you trouble, until you learn the timing necessary to do them fairly reliably.

Oh, and for all the newbies, my XBL tag is USVI STAR. I'm taking a leave of absence from SF4 soon, but I've probably played a few of you already. :lol

I personally believe natural skill is 95% bullshit, the missing 5% referring to intellect, which is hardly physical. It's all about discipline, dedication, intellect and competition. The rarest ingredient there is intellect. There are pro players that I've seen that will never reach a Daigo level of dominance in part because, for all their knowledge of matchups, link timing, etc, they don't have the mentality to win a figurative chess match. Of course, most of the time their opponents are in the same boat, and SF4 doesn't lend itself as well to those type of matches as other fighters, but watching the extreme few who can dominate totally is impressive.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
For those of you with poor reaction time (like myself), instead of thinking about "oh how can I see things quicker", instead try to think about how you can put your opponent in situations where they only have a certain number of options. If they can only do X, Y, or Z then you can really narrow down what to expect. If you ever watch some of my streams sometimes I will be a jack ass and be like "hes going to jump" and a split second later, he jumps.

Why do I know this? It's not because I have any sort of reactions at all -- it's because the player is at a certain range and I am doing certain things to make it appear as if it's their only option to get at me. If you're aware of what the opponents options are at certain ranges and in certain situations, just keep those in mind and do you best to counter them.

Also, if you are having a hard time anti airing with special moves, then use normal moves! They can be just as effective in a lot of situations, and instead of getting a foot to the face because you couldn't whip out a DP fast enough, you at least trade or do some damage in return. This is what I do when im either playing a laggy match or having an off day.

PhatSaqs said:
We just have to agree to disagree on the major points of this. I can certainly look to myself as an example and say that my ability in terms of reaction time and adapting isnt what it was 10 years ago. And it certainly isnt from a lack of playing or tournament participation.....

But yeah anyone can be "good" and have fun sure..... I guess I went above and beyond exactly what was being asked :lol

Okay, sounds good. Yeah the guy just wants to be good -- becoming a top player has everything to do with working hard, maybe some good reaction times or other trait that you have and really a lot of LUCK. Just the pure fact that you happen to live ina certain area or happen to meet some top player who will mentor you. When you're talking about the top 1% of SF players or something then a lot of that isnt quantifiable because so many factors go into it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
haunts said:

:bow haunts :bow2

Agreed on everything you said. I remember when you started playing Third Strike years back; it's amazing how far you've come.

That said, "natural ability" has to have a place in gaming; how else would you explain the top players in various genres? They seem to have better reaction time and the skills to pull stuff off faster than everyone else in any given situation.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
haunts said:

Hard work can only take you to your limit. It's easy for top players to say anyone can be a top player. Some people just can't get it, I've seen it.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Lyte Edge said:
:bow haunts :bow2

Agreed on everything you said. I remember when you started playing Third Strike years back; it's amazing how far you've come.

That said, "natural ability" has to have a place in gaming; how else would you explain the top players in various genres? They seem to have better reaction time and the skills to pull stuff off faster than everyone else in any given situation.

yeah you out of all people know how little natural ability I have. LOL!!

i think natural ability plays a part in the top 1-5% or whatever like i said, but these guys STILL have weaknesses. I think it's important to mainly just play against the character and not as much playing the person. The person is limited by what the character can do, so if you know what the match up very well then you will understand what the player is limited to.

If you play the person more than you play the character, you will psyche yourself out more often than not, thinking they have some special ability with said character that you cant counter.

arstal said:
Hard work can only take you to your limit. It's easy for top players to say anyone can be a top player. Some people just can't get it, I've seen it.

The only limits are what you perceive them to be in your own mind. If you play so many hours and say oh well this is as good as I am going to get, I guess thats it, ive hit my limit, then of course you wont push past it. In fact, the times when you think you have hit your limit is when you should play more. It's how the game tests you to see if you have the desire to push past your limits and become something more.

I went to California Regionals the beginning of last year and experinced this. I had played SF4 in the arcade a lot in NorCal and went down to socal and the first day or so I was just getting owned up. I was feeling really discouraged and telling myself "maybe this game isnt for me" and "maybe im just past my prime"

Then late that saturday night after I blew it in the team tournament, I said FUCK THAT. I hopped on one of the machines with gootecks, kai, edma and all these other fools and ran a 10 win streak (I didnt know it was them at the time because it was head to head :lol)

the next day I got 10th, one match from getting top 8 and had one of the best matches of my SF4 career against Korea's Laugh. It was then I realized that if i tell myself ive hit my limits, I wont go anywhere, but if in that moment I take that extra step to push past it, that's what will take me to that next level.

Lyte Edge

arstal said:

Like how? I mean, I have friends who have never been able to play fighting games, but that's easily explainable due to them not wanting to bother learning how to play. A lot of us have been playing these games for too long now to remember that it can be difficult to even pull off a quarter circle motion, but that can certainly be learned with practice.

It's the reason why fighting games have become such a niche genre-- nobody wants to spend a ton of time learning complex moves and combinations; they just want to be able to pick up a controller and get right into it/win/have a good time. IMO this is a big reason why FPS gaming "replaced" fighting games as the dominant competitive titles in the west.

I wouldn't say haunts sucked back then, but he was as far from being a "top player" as you can get. He kept on playing and playing AND PLAYING and his game went way off the charts.

Lyte Edge

haunts said:
yeah you out of all people know how little natural ability I have. LOL!!

i think natural ability plays a part in the top 1-5% or whatever like i said, but these guys STILL have weaknesses. I think it's important to mainly just play against the character and not as much playing the person. The person is limited by what the character can do, so if you know what the match up very well then you will understand what the player is limited to.

If you play the person more than you play the character, you will psyche yourself out more often than not, thinking they have some special ability with said character that you cant counter.

Sure, but it's a little of both. People can still play characters in different ways. I know what you mean though!

I think you both have good points. For one, you DO need to adapt to be able to play well. On the other hand, you DO need to play enough to know how to counter their moves. I honestly think that even though execution is important, it's more important to know your opponent. What's the point of doing ridiculous combos if you can't do basics things? (case in point, Poonkyo (?) is really good with execution, but can't hang to other top players).

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Lyte Edge said:
Sure, but it's a little of both. People can still play characters in different ways. I know what you mean though!

Yeah I mean you have to see what the person likes to do with the character, but at the end of the day they only have so many options in certain situations to begin with. The fact people have different styles is what makes the game so interesting, but if you're talking about winning it has a lot to with just understanding match ups and calculating risk/reward.

Rocky_Balboa said:
Yeah GGs. There were some nice comebacks from both of us. At first I was in trouble, but then I chose the boring but more effective style and I started winning again. Turtling is good against Cammy sometimes.

Also GGs Soneet. Too bad the connection wasn't that good. The connection with Ysiadmihi was better even though he's from the states.

Being an effective *not just down back, but aa normals etc* turtle beats Cammy ALL the time. She really doesn't have many ways to crack a turtle since almost everything of hers hits low except for cannon strike. All of her specials being unsafe *or in the case of SBF, useless* doesn't help lol.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Prototype-03 said:
I think you both have good points. For one, you DO need to adapt to be able to play well. On the other hand, you DO need to play enough to know how to counter their moves. I honestly think that even though execution is important, it's more important to know your opponent. What's the point of doing ridiculous combos if you can't do basics things? (case in point, Poonkyo (?) is really good with execution, but can't hang to other top players).

Huh? Poongko can hang with top players -- he had like a 30 win streak at SBO on this random cab they had set up where people can play. He is one of koreas best, maybe not the best in the world, but myself and other have seen him play can can say he is good.

I think he is just a bit limited by his comp in Korea in that I dont think they take the game as seriously as they do in Japan and even in the states. (I could be wrong tho)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
stabicron7 said:
Being an effective *not just down back, but aa normals etc* turtle beats Cammy ALL the time. She really doesn't have many ways to crack a turtle since almost everything of hers hits low except for cannon strike. All of her specials being unsafe *or in the case of SBF, useless* doesn't help lol.

*cue someone posting a video of one of the best Cammy players winning some matches*

Cammy does need a lot of work. She's not nearly as bad as some people make her out to be, but some matchups border on impossible if the opponent plays it right.

Risible

Wow, thanks for all the thoughts and ideas, guys. I'm psyched to check out all the sites mentioned so far. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in.

It's discussions like these that made me wait patiently for the 4 months it took to get my account verified.

Oh, I should mention that this has got me really psyched to get better - you guys are the best cheerleaders. :D

haunts said:
Huh? Poongko can hang with top players -- he had like a 30 win streak at SBO on this random cab they had set up where people can play. He is one of koreas best, maybe not the best in the world, but myself and other have seen him play can can say he is good.

I think he is just a bit limited by his comp in Korea in that I dont think they take the game as seriously as they do in Japan and even in the states. (I could be wrong tho)

I think it is also a style problem. From what I've seen of his game and heard from others (not sure if this is true, but makes sense), the Koreans seem to favor a flashy rushdown style. It isn't that he doesn't know the matchups/frame date/whatever, but that he is risky as fuck.

haunts said:

Not saying he's bad. He's possibly the best in Korea. What I was just saying is that his execution is OUT OF THIS WORLD, but I remember that when he was invited to play to the US (this was about 6-9 months ago?), he couldn't hang with the other top players. Maybe you're right that he just doesn't have enough comp there, but I just couldn't believe that his execution was so good but couldn't hang to other players.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
prodystopian said:
I think it is also a style problem. From what I've seen of his game and heard from others (not sure if this is true, but makes sense), the Koreans seem to favor a flashy rushdown style. It isn't that he doesn't know the matchups/frame date/whatever, but that he is risky as fuck.

I think that just goes hand in hand with his competition. If he had someone like Choi teaching him proper footsies and stuff like that then he would improve on that aspect. I am generally a pretty aggressive player myself but recently I've learned to tone it down in certain match ups and situations because it gets me in more trouble than its worth. Most of this is because I play around people where I can see which styles get more wins than others.

Prototype-03 said:
Not saying he's bad. He's possibly the best in Korea. What I was just saying is that his execution is OUT OF THIS WORLD, but I remember that when he was invited to play to the US (this was about 6-9 months ago?), he couldn't hang with the other top players. Maybe you're right that he just doesn't have enough comp there, but I just couldn't believe that his execution was so good but couldn't hang to other players.

Yes, but that is just the perception you have of him seeing those few matches at the tournament. He was at Keystone the night before beasting on people (top players) all night long but also apparently got really hammered so I think he was really hung over the day of the GameStop nationals.

I do know what you're saying though -- combos and flashy shit will only take you so far and only intimidates people at a certain level. Other plays can just weather the storm and wait it out until the flashy player makes a mistake.

haunts said:
I think that just goes hand in hand with his competition. If he had someone like Choi teaching him proper footsies and stuff like that then he would improve on that aspect. I am generally a pretty aggressive player myself but recently I've learned to tone it down in certain match ups and situations because it gets me in more trouble than its worth. Most of this is because I play around people where I can see which styles get more wins than others.

Yea. Like Justin said in the Dogface interview, now everyone just plays lame style because it makes it easier to get wins.

Top Bottom