• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Threi

notag
losing streak nearing 20 games tonight (I am not exaggerating)....300 hours well spent.

*edit*
I finally won a match yaaay :/

XenoRaven

Thanks for the invites Greg, but I was playing a good friend of mine.

I did much better against him than I used to. Playing against GAFers has made me noticably better. So thanks guys!

AZ Greg

XenoRaven said:
Thanks for the invites Greg, but I was playing a good friend of mine.

I did much better against him than I used to. Playing against GAFers has made me noticably better. So thanks guys!

No prob. I just usually send out invites to anyone on my list who's on SF4 when I make a room or finish playing someone else.

I'm still on XBL if anyone wants to play. I can't get any decent sized sets going as everyone quits after only 1 or 2 matches against Dhalsim. :(

Threi

notag
AZ Greg said:
No prob. I just usually send out invites to anyone on my list who's on SF4 when I make a room or finish playing someone else.

I'm still on XBL if anyone wants to play. I can't get any decent sized sets going as everyone quits after only 1 or 2 matches against Dhalsim. :(
Im pretty much playing like shit today as you can see so I will let you practice your combos on me as soon as axelhortsemchi is bored of beating me as well.

Woo, NorCal is schooling everywhere else in this team tournament. Course, it's not the same as a singles but ROM is destroying everyone.

Chun-Li is the new Ken/Ryu.

Hype!! NorCal wins it all!! To be continued tomorrow. Good stuff. Props to Haunts and the IPW staff.

MIMIC

Banned
Threi said:
Im pretty much playing like shit today as you can see so I will let you practice your combos on me as soon as axelhortsemchi is bored of beating me as well.

Sorry I missed your invite. I was playing someone that I was determined to beat with Zangief :D

Joekage

So yeah if anyone who plays on PSN with a semi good connection (3bars at least) wants to play I would happily oblige. My training partner ditched on me and absolutely no one is online on the gaf chat/champ/player mode with a good connection. Training my WIP Ken and I also have a pretty decent Rufus. Located in Dallas Tx if you're in that area.

Psn: TostitoSalsa

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Spiderjericho said:
Woo, NorCal is schooling everywhere else in this team tournament. Course, it's not the same as a singles but ROM is destroying everyone.

Chun-Li is the new Ken/Ryu.

Hype!! NorCal wins it all!! To be continued tomorrow. Good stuff. Props to Haunts and the IPW staff.

Awww fuck!

ROM is cool. He was very humble. I don't think those three were ready for the randomness of Filipino and ROM. Ricky never even got to play. And no offense, his Marn would've probably peaced the ROM/Filipino table scraps.

I didn't understand Choi's team. Because he put Kineda on his team, he had to use Sagat, which isn't his main.

And Relix, sorry man, it seems like mad peeps are picking her up because of her poke game, etc. Because she didn't have the FADC or initially seemed to do hella damage, mad people slept on her.

Tomorrow should be more hype. Too bad SoCal didn't rent a van and drove up two teams.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Spiderjericho said:
And Relix, sorry man, it seems like mad peeps are picking her up because of her poke game, etc. Because she didn't have the FADC or initially seemed to do hella damage, mad people slept on her.

Haha, i am fine with it, with the exception that I will have more mirror matches soon =P. Hey, fellowship of the thighs represent :D

Relix said:
Haha, i am fine with it, with the exception that I will have more mirror matches soon =P. Hey, fellowship of the thighs represent :D

SSFIV will be more Chuns, especially if they don't nerf the rest of her game. She won't really have to charge back except for fireball, and she'd do that if she was playing defensive and mid to full screen.

It would be awesome if they nerf Rufus dive kick a lil so there are more ways to hit him out of it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Spiderjericho said:
SSFIV will be more Chuns, especially if they don't nerf the rest of her game. She won't really have to charge back except for fireball, and she'd do that if she was playing defensive and mid to full screen.

It would be awesome if they nerf Rufus dive kick a lil so there are more ways to hit him out of it.

Rufu's dive kick is Chun's biggest paint... after Akuma's own Dive Kick though :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Spiderjericho said:
You can charge while poking!

Hitokage said:
You can charge while poking!

But I mean in situations where she loses her charge. Fireballs aren't as important to her as it is for say Guile. She can press on an opponent w/o charging (though she can charge while in the midst of the assault, which is why her pokes are cool).

And Relix, I'd say Rufus' dive kick gives everyone a problem. Akuma's is aiight. You can't spam or control it the same.

Man, professional gaming is crazy. Flash/Sin/Marn came cross country to participate in these tournaments. Hope they get a return. For the SoCal folks it's not that bad except for the long drive and gas (which they can pool amongst themselves).

_dementia said:
hey how do you learn not to mash?
i press too many buttons and die for it

I have the same problem with Honda. Practice? I guess you have to get used to counting and measuring how many presses to activate lightning/100. I noticed when I play against some Chuns, they mash it, and I'm able to get a free hit back on them even if they hit (unless it's an EX).

If anyone's up for some PSN SF4 matches, just message me as I'll be playing tournament for awhile now.

PSN ID: OjdaKiller

I only play as Sim, fyi...

OJdaKiller said:
If anyone's up for some PSN SF4 matches, just message me as I'll be playing tournament for awhile now.

PSN ID: OjdaKiller

I only play as Sim, fyi...

I'm on as well. I'd play you, but I only play sim... oh well, mebbe i can play other people for fun...

I'm starting to hate Abel. He's so much fun to play with, but he's terrible. I'm getting worked time and time again to players I would destroy with my other mains. Starting to wonder if it's even worth it to put all the time in to get good with him...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Spiderjericho said:
I have the same problem with Honda. Practice? I guess you have to get used to counting and measuring how many presses to activate lightning/100. I noticed when I play against some Chuns, they mash it, and I'm able to get a free hit back on them even if they hit (unless it's an EX).
Haha, yeah, but even if you switch to mashing jabs so you don't run into accidental hyakuretsu you can still fall into frame traps and get counterhit like crazy if you're not careful.

Hell, even going for a reversal ex hyaku is dangerous unless you know that you'll have the window if they drop their blockstring.

I don't get into all of that frame counting, etc. I prefer Valle's/Wong's "feel" your way through a match.

But I'm glad Chun is getting shine now thanks to ROM, Shizza, Ricky O. (though he switched to Seth in the last Scambats).

The game really is pretty balanced. I hope they don't mess around with it, except to correct odd things like ex snake strike (huge damage), Sagat's double forward roundhouse (c'mon), Ken/Fei Long not being able to get good damage off of FADC, ultra.

Tomorrow is going to be pretty hype with the Fuddruckers. I hope it's held early though.

the_log_ride said:
I'm on as well. I'd play you, but I only play sim... oh well, mebbe i can play other people for fun...

PSN ID sayuki

Shit. I don't feel so bad now...I didn't read your msg until after we played our matches...I thought you just picked up Sim and were just fighting on fly...lol...Thx for matches though...

OJdaKiller said:
Shit. I don't feel so bad now...I didn't read your msg until after we played our matches...I thought you just picked up Sim and were just fighting on fly...lol...Thx for matches though...

ggs...

I was just hopping around, because sim mirrors make my ears bleed.

i'm still on if anyone's around

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
ROM is cool. He was very humble. I don't think those three were ready for the randomness of Filipino and ROM. Ricky never even got to play. And no offense, his Marn would've probably peaced the ROM/Filipino table scraps.

I didn't understand Choi's team. Because he put Kineda on his team, he had to use Sagat, which isn't his main.

Tomorrow should be more hype. Too bad SoCal didn't rent a van and drove up two teams.

From what I saw Choi just got beat up by lack of match up knowledge vs Viper.

MightyKAC

Finally got my 100 wins online trophy today, pretty much all of them with with my main as Claw.

I tried other characters but he's honestly the only one that feels right with my playstyle. It was long and frustrating and I most certainly lost more than I won but it still felt good to get that trophy. After 100 wins you'd think I would be somewhat comfortable with my game, but playing with the Japanese helps me to see how much improvement my game really needs. These guy are SOO good at showing you your own vulnerabilities that it's uncanny.

Now I get to REALLY put my game to the test as my 100th win also unlocked G2 rank in champion mode.

Yay for PAIN. :)

chriskun

Kadey said:
I find it the easiest to deal with Blanka as Honda. Punish his balls with a headbutt and just mix it up with typical honda stuff.
This is a late response, but any smart Blanka isnt gonna ball you outside of a combo. I know how to punish dumb blanka shit. I just want to know how to deal with his crossups. Should I FA out of it. Head butting or buttlslaming takes way strict timing, its almost impossible online, and he can jab you out of that shit pretty much. I gained one ray of hope from the match though. You can punish blankas lame ass slide with fierce HB.

CartridgeBlower said:
I'm starting to hate Abel. He's so much fun to play with, but he's terrible. I'm getting worked time and time again to players I would destroy with my other mains. Starting to wonder if it's even worth it to put all the time in to get good with him...

Abel's pretty good mang. You lose to Gief, Cammy, and Rufus but he's ace against the rest of the cast. The Abel players I know are 50/50 on whether Akuma is a bad matchup or not.

Once you get a hang of his offense things get real fun. Only problem with Abel is he's footsie dependent to get his offensive momentum going, but he doesn't have the best pokes in the world. New player + footsie reliant character w/ average pokes = you're going to have a hard time playing him. BUT once you get in, you'll rack up damage quick.

But yeah, he's definitely not terrible!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Magus1234 is gonna be on today's stream?

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
NP. After Abel does his step kick and dashes forward, his two offensive options are either cr. short (if you're trying to jump away, it'll keep you grounded then he can link into cr. jab x2 st. short, then another step kick dash) or tornado throw if you're not jumping.

If Abel lands a tornadow throw, then dashes towards you and jumps, it'll be a crossup. Abel's kind of like a zangief that dashes in your face a lot :lol

With Cammy vs. Abel your goal is to do as many divekicks as possible. A TKCS after one of Abel's step kick dashes beat both his cr. short and his tornado throw. Cammy is actually one of Abel's worst match ups, and if you can keep the offensive pressure up with cammy, there's nothing Abel can really do about it.

GG's!

Now now now Farms! :) You should know better. :)

After a step kick, there are a few more options that are golden besides TT and c.short. In fact, there's a MUCH better alternative to c.short - c.fp. Both can be interrupted, so you have to use them when the other person is going to jump away, but the difference is c.fp will land a 2nd hit when they're jumping (which leads to a guaranteed knockdown and ultra if you have it).

In the Cammy matchup, Abel has s.fp. It's a GREAT tool against TKCS - it'll always beat it if it's otg, even after a step kick. For Cammy to have an edge over Abel, she needs to do weird tricks with TKCSes like greatly alternating their timing when she's jumping in, otherwise Abel can easily AA her. The thing with Cammy is you have to be SUPER offensive against Abel, and a single mistake hurts a lot. I can easily spam EX TTs on a blockstring and grab her out of them. You just have to be smart. :)

I play 2 very good Cammys (I've yet to play Killa Sasa though) and it's always how it goes down. In fact, one of them is very used to the matchup as we play quite a bit and he's less offensive with her against me and goes more for tricks to get in and wins quite a bit more, while the other is just an insane rushdown guy who I always EASILY beat because, well, he rushes down like a maniac, and I just wait for an opening. :)

Also, I read your other post..

Abel loses to Gief for sure. That's guaranteed, pretty much - if the Gief is competently good there's no way for Abel to win. Cammy, well, I dunno. I don't find it THAT hard of a matchup.

Rufus though? Seriously? What exactly does Rufus have that beats Abel so cleanly? I never really have that much problem against him (might be the other players, I guess?) but c.fping dive kicks works wonders. Again, it MIGHT be the Rufus players I go against (we have a pretty good one here, who usually ranks rather high in tourneys) and it's not what I consider to be an unfair matchup...

As for Akuma, yeah, that one is weird. It really depends on the person, and you have to be super careful not to be knocked down. But, if you're smart and you see the Akuma player always teleporting, you can option select CoD on your jump-ins and nail him out of his teleport when he recovers (I love doing that lol)

On the other hand, I find good Vipers are VERY annoying to deal with. You have a single option against them - reversal rolling on all their jump-ins to avoid 50/50 crossups on bks, and she's pretty hard to hit as good Viper players tend to move around a HELL of a lot with her.

Rog is another annoying matchup because a lot of Abel tricks can't work on him due to his crouching jab....

BitchTits

Had a hankering to do some trials recently and I got few done that I hadn't before (Ryu! >_< ), but still stuck on Viper's #2, Dan always blocks the Ultra, anyone got any tips? Is it just a case of buffering quicker? I'm already mashing like a fool! :lol

Top Bottom