• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TimeKillr

BitchTits said:
Had a hankering to do some trials recently and I got few done that I hadn't before (Ryu! >_< ), but still stuck on Viper's #2, Dan always blocks the Ultra, anyone got any tips? Is it just a case of buffering quicker? I'm already mashing like a fool! :lol

Make sure you do the feint with mp or fp.

FP is easier to link into but harder to do the cancel.

MP is harder to link into but easier to cancel.

Your pick. :)

Hey I've always wanted to ask this because my match-up against Bison (Dictator) is pretty bad since I haven't played that many of them players yet.

I main Ryu and IIRC, this match-up was in his favor ? But I wanna know which factors contributes to that.
I read a bit on SRK in the Ryu thread and they only just tell me that how you can counter his stomps etc. But what are the key things when it comes to Ryu VS. Bison ?

"I main Ryu and IIRC, this match-up was in his favor ? But I wanna know which factors contributes to that.
I read a bit on SRK in the Ryu thread and they only just tell me that how you can counter his stomps etc. But what are the key things when it comes to Ryu VS. Bison ?"

Zoning. You can keep Bison out, he has to come to you, smart fireballs and neutral jump...roundhouse? will keep him out of your face. Ryu has (many) reliable ultra setups, bison only has one that's not even terribly reliable, that can sometimes be the deciding factor.

If you're the rushdown kind of player, Bison has pretty much no defense. No solid anti-air and all of his reversals are escape tools that reset the match (which isn't really in his favor).

It's not just a complete walkover for Ryu, though.

Threi

notag
Teknopathetic said:
However, if you're the rushdown kind of player, Bison has pretty much no defense. No solid anti-air and all of his reversals are escape tools that reset the match (which isn't really in his favor)..

Not only that, option selects fuck up bison BIG time.

Just know that bison with no meter is helpless on wakeup, bison with meter will either EX PC to escape (which you can throw him out of or option select srk) or backwards teleport (option select tatsu or just tatsu on reaction will catch him because of teleport's poor recovery)

Cross him up as much as you can, he can't do much about it.

Teknopathetic said:
"I main Ryu and IIRC, this match-up was in his favor ? But I wanna know which factors contributes to that.
I read a bit on SRK in the Ryu thread and they only just tell me that how you can counter his stomps etc. But what are the key things when it comes to Ryu VS. Bison ?"

Zoning. You can keep Bison out, he has to come to you, smart fireballs and neutral jump...roundhouse? will keep him out of your face. Ryu has (many) reliable ultra setups, bison only has one that's not even terribly reliable, that can sometimes be the deciding factor.

If you're the rushdown kind of player, Bison has pretty much no defense. No solid anti-air and all of his reversals are escape tools that reset the match (which isn't really in his favor).

It's not just a complete walkover for Ryu, though.

Ah ok thx, so the only things I have to watch out for later in the match is his groundgame (since headstomping is kinda ruled out after he knows it won't work on me). Will his pokes such as st.forward/roundhouse outbeat my cr.forward ?

I also tried some Training Mode and set the dummy to do Scissor Kicks all the time and if it's close to me enough, I could always punish it if I blocked the scissor kick.
Does this really work ? Because I'm not sure if I set the dummy right or something, I also hardly see blocked scissor kicks getting punished in vids :S

These were not EX Scissor Kicks btw, since I know those can be punished on block; I'm just not so sure on the normal ones.

Threi said:
Not only that, option selects fuck up bison BIG time.

Just know that bison with no meter is helpless on wakeup, bison with meter will either EX PC to escape (which you can throw him out of or option select srk) or backwards teleport (option select tatsu or just tatsu on reaction will catch him because of teleport's poor recovery)

Cross him up as much as you can, he can't do much about it.

Yeah, I've been working on option selects and I can say that strangely enough, only the safe jump-in + fierce~EX dp only works for me but the tatsu won't come out for me. It only comes out like when I only do it too late and around the time I hit the ground. I guess I'm just missing the timing or something.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you can't punish lk scissors, it's totally safe on block.

HK scissors you can and I think MK but I can't remember and think I never use it.

catfish said:
you can't punish lk scissors, it's totally safe on block.

HK scissors you can and I think MK but I can't remember and think I never use it.

So it doesn't have anything to do with the range or the amount of hits it has ?
I thought all of them had at least 2 hits, or is lk scissors just one hit ?

LK scissors are even frames on block, unpunishable. MK is punishable if spaced poorly, HK pretty much always.

His s.mk and s.hk you want to watch out for as they're both fairly fast and s.mk has a pretty good range. I do believe Bison's s.mk *might* beat Ryu's cr.mk due to hitboxes depending on the space between you.

"So it doesn't have anything to do with the range or the amount of hits it has ?
I thought all of them had at least 2 hits, or is lk scissors just one hit ?"

The range only matters for mk. lk scissors is always safe on block and it's 2 hits.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh, when SFIV just got released (or something like that), people noticed how the back dash had some invincibility frames. What happened to that? I remember some people going all "Woah this is totally going to change the gameplay!" but I'm not really seeing anyone use it in tournaments or anything.

Yoshichan said:
Oh, when SFIV just got released (or something like that), people noticed how the back dash had some invincibility frames. What happened to that? I remember some people going all "Woah this is totally going to change the gameplay!" but I'm not really seeing anyone use it in tournaments or anything.
lol wat

Threi

notag
Yoshichan said:

Play more chun-li players.

I also tried some Training Mode and set the dummy to do Scissor Kicks all the time and if it's close to me enough, I could always punish it if I blocked the scissor kick.
Does this really work ? Because I'm not sure if I set the dummy right or something, I also hardly see blocked scissor kicks getting punished in vids :S

These were not EX Scissor Kicks btw, since I know those can be punished on block; I'm just not so sure on the normal ones.
mk, hk, and ex scissors are punishable on block, lk leaves both at neutral frames. However, most bisons try to follow up the scissors with something else (usually lk xx scissors or dash throw) in an attempt to keep up the so called "bison pressure", knowing this you can usually break their pressure with a lp srk...unless they are expecting it, depends on the player.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
:lol Damn that sounded as if I was trying to say people aren't using back dashes at all. Sorry!

FindMyFarms said:
Haha, I'm no Abel expert. But I think all this stuff furthers my point that he's not a bad character.

I'm having real trouble getting good at his short game, and using the forward medium kick. It seems I dash too much, or I just get thrown too easily when I'm using it. I guess it's just going take practice, because some of his real combos are a ton of fun to pull off.

NeoUltima

Wtf why do I magically have a 1% disconnect? Haven't even had a game at all disconnect in days. I did turn off my ps3 during the results screen last night...but I don't see how that could count.

I really liked being 0% dc :(

profit

NeoUltima said:
Wtf why do I magically have a 1% disconnect? Haven't even had a game at all disconnect in days. I did turn off my ps3 during the results screen last night...but I don't see how that could count.

Your rating goes down after a few matches.

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
Haha, I'm no Abel expert. But I think all this stuff furthers my point that he's not a bad character.

Oh definitely, he's not a bad character.

He has a few bad matchups, and is definitely more 'advanced' than, say, Ryu... :)

You just have to practice a few annoying thinks, like 1-frame links, good poking and mastering his AA options.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
NeoUltima said:

That counts. You have to wait until the game says "Now saving". I've lost BP and gotten disconnects before by accepting invites on the result screen.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Thought i'd write up a basic overview on hopkicks, because they're important to the landscape of footsies even though only a few characters have them.

Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 8

If you've been following this article series, it should be clear how buff a good hopkick can be. If you got 'em, use 'em. If you don't, figure out a way to deal with 'em.

I hope SSF4 gives one of the Shotos a hopkick. Maybe Ken?

Threi

notag
I went in practice mode today...I have gotten really, really bad. Can't do basic bnbs anymore.

I'm not sure what's to blame, either the lenience of TvC or the lenience of Balrog bnbs, but I think i have gotten noticeably worse and something needs to be done.

:(

ROM was fun to watch! Love his style.

ugh, I have been sick all week, haven't played in much.....need to go back training as well

and GGs to AZ Greg last night.

h3ro

Threi said:
I went in practice mode today...I have gotten really, really bad. Can't do basic bnbs anymore.

I'm not sure what's to blame, either the lenience of TvC or the lenience of Balrog bnbs, but I think i have gotten noticeably worse and something needs to be done.

:(

Andre v. Jeron is on now on the FADC stream.

Go. Get your mojo back.

Majestros said:
Thought i'd write up a basic overview on hopkicks, because they're important to the landscape of footsies even though only a few characters have them.

Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 8

If you've been following this article series, it should be clear how buff a good hopkick can be. If you got 'em, use 'em. If you don't, figure out a way to deal with 'em.

I hope SSF4 gives one of the Shotos a hopkick. Maybe Ken?

You should post links to the previous chapters in that post and the others for easy access to go through the whole series.

I love the site.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
There are some surprisingly good players in player matches. Haven't run into anybody that's beaten me that much though...I just went on like a 23 game winning streak against 2 or 3 dudes.

Ranked is pretty much scrub city to the point that I feel bad playing there. Lots of people just trying to get the ranked achievement I guess.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
prodystopian said:
You should post links to the previous chapters in that post and the others for easy access to go through the whole series.
Good point, thanks for the suggestion. Right now the plan is to get to 10 chapters, then maybe do a couple of appendix/supplement type things, then wrap it up. That's only like a month or so away? Once i'm done, i'll look for a way to add a "features" section somewhere visible on the website and organize everything important so it's easy to access. Shouldn't be much trouble but the updates themselves have been keeping me too busy.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anything special going on? This is like the first time I've missed an FADC stream. Heard it was really bad though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
NeoUltima said:

I don't worry about people's disconnects unless they're like over 10, which I haven't seen.

Top Bottom