• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

I felt sorry for my fellow Floridian. He was carrying those fools. Perfect Pringles tm and Marnchocker got raped by Combofiend.

Great job by IPW. The stream started off poor, but thanks to 1234 and crew, it was restored to the usual high standard.

The SoCal/NorCal battle was great and to the wire.

Krackatoa

Epic IPW stream. The event on the whole was pretty epic to watch.

Same goes for the Arcadia stream. That was fantastic. It touched my heart to see a Legendary Taunt followed by a win. I really need to get to some tourneys.

So, while I'm on the topic, anyone know how one would go about getting a custom setup with Keyboard style arrow inputs? It sucks not people able to compete in tourneys since I'm shackled to PC games and the keyboard.

I saw a device that I could plug a keyboard into, but it runs at about 120 bucks, and I'd need to fork over another 45 for a wired 360 controller for it to work. This isn't really feasible as I'd have to lug a whole keyboard around.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Which team won? Sadly missed the end due to people coming over.

Mag1234 is the best commentator by far; inkblot and ponder need to give the man the evo 2010 job.

Why was rom not in the NorthCal team? ROM > Ricky, FlipChamp, and Choi. I said it.

GeoNeo said:
Which team won? Sadly missed the end due to people coming over.

Mag1234 is the best commentator by far; inkblot and ponder need to give the man the evo 2010 job.

Why was rom not in the NorthCal team? ROM > Ricky, FlipChamp, and Choi. I said it.

He's a pretty good commentator but he's too biased, he gives respect where it's due but still favors certain players. I like when people are unbiased.

To answer your question, team socal won (always bet on black).

GeoNeo

I disagree.
jam86 said:
He's a pretty good commentator but he's too biased, he gives respect where it's due but still favors certain players. I like when people are unbiased.

To answer your question, team socal won (always bet on black).
Thanks for the info. :) And, yeah he is biased but so is Skisonic who roots for East Coast. Still dude (Mag) gives some great insights into the game. Him + Seth + Ski would be perfect. One rep for the East one rep for NorthCali and Seth. :p

It was crazy. Ricky almost OCV'd Teambetonblack. Combofiend OCV'd East Coast. Flash Metroid almost OCV'd Betonblack. But then Keno settled down. It didn't help that Perfect Pringles :lol and Marn were LOL (but still great players).

Darry and Magus1234 are a good team. Crackfiend wasn't too bad either.

But there are quite a few good commentators, Chris Hu, Seb, Skisonic, Seth Killian, Magus1234, John Rog/Gootecks, etc.

If I were Evo, so they don't have to worry about it, get Seb/Skisonic/Hu and Magus/Darry man two different channels to stream competition, so we can see more matches. But I'm not sure what the bandwidth situation is at the hotel or the logistics.

KuroNeeko

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the fighting game scene having only played a few games of a handful of series but have really gotten interested in Street Fighter IV.

I'm a complete beginner, but understand the concepts behind zoning, momentum, initiative and so on (seems a lot like Chess or Go,) but am having trouble picking a character to get started.

I've seen people recommend characters like Ryu or Ken, but to be honest, I just can't get into playing them. I realize why they're strong but...they just don't fit I guess.

I'm looking for an annoying character that likes to poke or hit & run - one that matches my passive-aggressive personality.:D I feel most comfortable when I don't have to rush someone down or even close in on them. Can you recommend a character for me? I'll try just about anyone... Or should I stick with Ryu for a bit and then branch out on my own?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for your time.

"I'm looking for an annoying character that likes to poke or hit & run - one that matches my passive-aggressive personality. I feel most comfortable when I don't have to rush someone down or even close in on them. Can you recommend a character for me? I'll try just about anyone... Or should I stick with Ryu for a bit and then branch out on my own?"

Sounds like you might like Dhalsim or Akuma. Maybe Guile as well.

MIMIC

Banned
I'd suggest El Fuerte, but 1) he's not a "beginner" character and 2) he doesn't have any projectiles (to maximize turtling) yet he's exactly as described: can be used as a hit and run and is annoying :lol

Akuma can teleport, has fireballs (and AIR FIREBALLS @_@) and is user friendly (since he's a shoto character). Him, maybe?

Ledsen

MIMIC said:
I'd suggest El Fuerte, but 1) he's not a "beginner" character and 2) he doesn't have any projectiles (to maximize turtling) yet he's exactly as described: can be used as a hit and run and is annoying :lol

Akuma can teleport, has fireballs (and AIR FIREBALLS @_@) and is user friendly (since he's a shoto character). Him, maybe?

Dude, don't lie to the man! What's he going to think when he realizes he has to learn the vortex? o_O

haunts

Bacon of Hope
holy shit what a day. hope you guys enjoyed that stream. was a fun ass tournament but a bitch to get to the internets. lol

haunts said:
holy shit what a day. hope you guys enjoyed that stream. was a fun ass tournament but a bitch to get to the internets. lol

It was great! Really well done and exciting matches on top of that.

Fav. match was Lamerboi vs. FilipinoChamp :lol

yeb

haunts said:
Yeah, great stream, I'm still amazed that you get so many people at a Fuddruckers. :lol

When Combofiend's on fire like that there's almost no stopping him, and I'm glad Keno got going towards the end too. No amount of OCVs can match the hype of Lamerboi vs. FChamp though.

imtehman

Banned
is there any secret tips on how to get the timing of rufus's bnb combos?

example being it helps to hold on to the Fierce punch when doing viper's FFF.

Paz

I pretty much signed up after a few years of lurking because of this thread, awesome job on the info/streams/everything.

Haunts I can't explain how much I appreciate your speedy stream uploads, being in Australia I am usually asleep or at work when a stream goes down so being able to load it straight up a few hours after it finishes is a godsend for me.

I wish there were a few more Ryu players in these tournaments tho as that's my main, Valle/Choi need to level up their game to help scrubs like me! I will be going to a tournament on the 7th of feb and I need all the tactics I can get.

haunts, will we be able to see the Grand Finals recorded in High Quality anytime soon?
I watched EC take the winner's finals, but didn't stay awake much later afterwards.

I really want to see combofiend abel <3

Threi

notag
KuroNeeko said:
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the fighting game scene having only played a few games of a handful of series but have really gotten interested in Street Fighter IV.

I'm a complete beginner, but understand the concepts behind zoning, momentum, initiative and so on (seems a lot like Chess or Go,) but am having trouble picking a character to get started.

I've seen people recommend characters like Ryu or Ken, but to be honest, I just can't get into playing them. I realize why they're strong but...they just don't fit I guess.

I'm looking for an annoying character that likes to poke or hit & run - one that matches my passive-aggressive personality.:D I feel most comfortable when I don't have to rush someone down or even close in on them. Can you recommend a character for me? I'll try just about anyone... Or should I stick with Ryu for a bit and then branch out on my own?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for your time.
You will probably get hated on for this, but it sounds like you should try out Sagat.

TomServo

KuroNeeko said:
I'm pretty new to the fighting game scene having only played a few games of a handful of series but have really gotten interested in Street Fighter IV...

I'm looking for an annoying character that likes to poke or hit & run - one that matches my passive-aggressive personality..

I'm a new SFIV player as well, played a good bit of SFII in high school and Alpha 2 in college. Only played against friends and roommates, so I'm definately a scrub.

I'm probably playing her completely wrong, but I do a lot of hit and run with Cammy. In G3 the real basics of hit confirming her c.MK into a Sprial Arrow or Cannon Striking into a basic combo work wonders on most players. Also having a DP-like move is nice since a lot of people in G3 jump in constantly. I should probably be rushing down with her, but for me getting in quickly and then getting out works.

KuroNeeko said:
Hey guys,

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for your time.

Try out M. Bison. Join the purple fisted army!!!

qcf x2

I'll probably be marathoning SF4 today and officially retiring tomorrow, so anyone who wants some XBL matches, the gamertag is USVI STAR

These hard trials are burning me out. But I finally got through Cammy's Hard Trial #2 (which might as well have been #5), and breezed through the rest of them. After that, Finished Seth's, too.

Which leaves the following:
C. Viper - Stuck on #2
El Fuerte - Stuck on #4
Rufus - Stuck on #5 (I've tried like 800x to link this God Forsaken crouching mk)
Abel - Stuck on #5
Gen - Stuck on #3

I think I can grind out through Rufus and Abel, but after that, I think I'm gonna tap out.

Tim

KuroNeeko said:
Hey guys,

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for your time.
I'm surprised no one recommended Boxer yet. I think he's the easiest to get the hang of the game. You'll never HAVE to rush down but you could, your defense is good enough and your poking will be excellent. Hit & Run, or get in/get out as crackfiend (who plays boxer) calls it, fits him really well I think.

CozMick

Banned
Is it safe to return to this game?

I sadly sold it about a month after release as I was going through a "trade in everything period"

But now I miss it dearly,

Can a guy that does your basic, fireball, hurricane kick and ultra still give people a run for there money or is it just the elitist crowd that populates the online versus?

Thanks

XenoRaven

CozMick said:

I sadly sold it about a month after release as I was going through a "trade in everything period"

Can a guy that does your basic, fireball, hurricane kick and ultra still give people a run for there money or is it just the elitist crowd that populates the online versus?

Thanks
There's certainly plenty of scrubs online. You'd be well served to play some people from GAF or play a friend fairly consistently to learn match-ups and try new things. Are you sure you don't want to just wait for Super though?

TomServo

CozMick said:

Thanks

Guessing if you sold it a month after launch that you'd start at the bottom in Championship Mode.

It's a bit of a ghost town at that level... weekday evenings you can get matches, but it's a a non-stop shoto train. Weekends are decent fun, I spent two or three hours playing on Sunday afternoon and it was actually a pretty good variety of characters and talent. Played about 60 matches and I think I saw every character at least once, except another Cammy (no Dan either).

XenoRaven said:
...Are you sure you don't want to just wait for Super though?

Are BP / GP carrying over from SFIV into Super? Just curious, I'll probably keep playing regardless.

CozMick said:

Thanks

Here's some simple steps for l33t status.

1. Pick Ken (choose pimp alt costume)
2. Fierce punch Shoryuken every chance you get.
3. Use Ultra on wake-ups and on opponent jump-ins.

Now, just sit back and enjoy your opponent get mad salty!

Hell, they may even send you ragemail saying "u r a scrub!"

Reply to their ragemail with ,"u maaaaaaaaadd?"

(pow)

the_log_ride said:
These hard trials are burning me out. But I finally got through Cammy's Hard Trial #2 (which might as well have been #5), and breezed through the rest of them. After that, Finished Seth's, too.

C. Viper - Stuck on #2
El Fuerte - Stuck on #4
Rufus - Stuck on #5 (I've tried like 800x to link this God Forsaken crouching mk)
Abel - Stuck on #5
Gen - Stuck on #3

I think I can grind out through Rufus and Abel, but after that, I think I'm gonna tap out.
For Viper's trial, make sure you can do hard punch into thunder knuckle (preferable the heavy version). Don't try to cancel it to fast because there is some weird delay and you may pull out the EX version. Then just do QCF PP -> QCF PPP
After a while, you'll get the timing down for it (I got to a point where during her fifth trial, I kept doing that trial by accident.).

For Elf, just keep doing to motions (even if they don't link) and you'll eventually get the
timing down.

For Rufus do: Jump-in FP ->(forward)MP -> (backwards) LP > cr.mk -> EX Tornado.
The distance is kind of weird, so doing the above should help you out a bit with spacing. And since you're holding back with the lp, you can do the crouching mk into tornado with a 180 sweep.

Abel's just about practice I guess. It's basically doing to first half of his second trial twice.

For Gen, it really shouldn't be hard at all if you've made it this far. Focus as the lp hits, dash forward and just do the ultra.

the_log_ride said:

C. Viper - Stuck on #2
El Fuerte - Stuck on #4
Abel - Stuck on #5
Gen - Stuck on #3

Don't tap out, it took a solid moth to complete those Hard Trials. It just takes time and patience.

black_vegeta said:
Here's some simple steps for l33t status.

1. Pick Ken (choose pimp alt costume)
2. Fierce punch Shoryuken every chance you get.
3. Use Ultra on wake-ups and on opponent jump-ins.

Now, just sit back and enjoy your opponent get mad salty!

Hell, they may even send you ragemail saying "u r a scrub!"

Reply to their ragemail with ,"u maaaaaaaaadd?"

(pow)
Pretty much summed up the gdlk strat you'll need.

Also, just for a little change, use forward + mk as well, like all the time.

dragonballjoseph said:
Thanks for the tips. I'm actually trying that with Rufus. The distance has t be just so for that standing LP. And from there, it's like a freaking crap shot for that crouching MK. :lol

black_vegeta said:
Don't tap out, it took a solid moth to complete those Hard Trials. It just takes time and patience.

Seriously. I'm looking forward to the new challenges in SUPER (they're gonna have more, right?)

LeMaximilian said:
I need to get some games in tonight, preferably post 7pm PT on 360. Anyone down?

edit:
for those asking earlier, a guy playing me in player matches the other night capped some vids of 1st to 10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swEMDYwOjYQ&feature=channel

I'll probably cap some stuff tonight if anyone's willing to be put on utoob.

I'd be more than willing to get my scrubby Balrog's face kicked in but my brother has my 360 copy.

fresquito

I'm stuck in online mode :lol

Seriously. I'm about 650-700BP, but all I find is people with 1500+ points. Obviously I lose 9/10 games I play against those. Eventually I find someone scrubber than me and usually I beat him.

Anyway, the good thing is that my playing is improving quite a lot, and I expect it to get better once I get the Saturn pad.

Most Rog players are totally annoying. They only poke you AAAAAAAAAAAALL the time. Yeah, it's his playing and all, but what a boring playing it is!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yo, new people add me if you haven't:

XBL/GFW: Chickeny dinner

I'll be on in 5 minutes fuckers. You gonna get bodied by Jake.

LeMaximilian said:
I need to get some games in tonight, preferably post 7pm PT on 360. Anyone down?

edit:
for those asking earlier, a guy playing me in player matches the other night capped some vids of 1st to 10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swEMDYwOjYQ&feature=channel

I'll probably cap some stuff tonight if anyone's willing to be put on utoob.

I'll take you up on that, I want to siphon more skillz for my scrubby Ken :lol

Also, I don't think I'll be able to get to G1 on 360 -- not that it's such a huge loss but I woulda liked to see what they've got in there compared to PSN. Good thing there are some great players running through player matches. There's just not enough traffic in G3, takes a loooooooooooooooooooong time get through a whole championship. I'm only at 225 :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So apparently Gen kicks my Dhalsim's ass. I don't know anyone who uses Gen so my matchup experience is lacking.

After fighting this one guy, I think I just need to block low more since that low punch juggling thing always kill me. I'm also not sure about how I'm supposed to deal with those wall dives. Plus I should probably backdash more.

The only places I've seen some decent matchup info is here:

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=190620

Anywhere else?

edit: Oh yeah, I've also gone over those Yeb vs UTJ vids from that stream a while back, but the Gen that I played had a different style.

AZ Greg

GGs Timedog, but next time turn off the porno torrents. ;)

But in all seriousness, that was laggy as hell, I'm surprised I won as many as I did. Our connection is usually much better than that and nobody at my place was doing anything on the net but me. It really messed up my game. Kept getting hit by your barrage of random EX fireballs when I tried to walk forward and zone you but couldn't block on reaction, ate too many tatsus when I tried to short/forward slide under for the free fierce punish, gave up way too many free jump ins, couldn't tech throws even when you'd jump in with roundhouse and just walk forward for 5 seconds before throwing me lol, etc... /salty

Anyone want some matches on XBL?

Top Bottom