• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Playing FMF and the rest of you has always been fun. Anyone that wants to get some games vs a horrible seth player add my psn. QisTopTier.

Mr Jared

Anyone up for some XBL SF4? I feel like goofing around with Guile :lol

Shoot me an invite: Mr Jared. I'll accept in about 5ish minutes.. going to get ready for bed too.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
From other thread...

Super Street Fighter® IV will be coming to the Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft® and PS3 system on April 27, 2010 in North America and April 30, 2010 in Europe.

oh man!

my birthday!?

how'd that happen!?

;)

Looks like devastation 2010 is confirmed to be SSFIV, should be interesting to see what people are able to figure out in a few months. It's gonna be different this time around since the most of everyone is familiar with the engine (unlike when the console port came out FEB 09) but the tweaks and new characters are gonna make for a new experience overall.

Is Evo going to be vanilla SFIV or SSFIV?

jam86 said:
Looks like devastation 2010 is confirmed to be SSFIV, should be interesting to see what people are able to figure out in a few months. It's gonna be different this time around since the most of everyone is familiar with the engine (unlike when the console port came out FEB 09) but the tweaks and new characters are gonna make for a new experience overall.

Is Evo going to be vanilla SFIV or SSFIV?
uh Why would it be Vanilla..

The game comes out late April.

TurtleSnatcher said:
uh Why would it be Vanilla..

The game comes out late April.

When it comes to Evo, it's like they pick games out of a hat, or what they think the community wants. If enough people complain that April to July is not enough time to learn, would they stick with vanilla? Moneywise, it's costing them more to buy new copies of SSFIV, rather than re-using the plethora of copies they have left over from last evo.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
jam86 said:
When it comes to Evo, it's like they pick games out of a hat, or what they think the community wants. If enough people complain that April to July is not enough time to learn, would they stick with vanilla? Moneywise, it's costing them more to buy new copies of SSFIV, rather than re-using the plethora of copies they have left over from last evo.

lol at this post

gahahah

Super SF IV will be at evo.

Bet it.

sosage

jam86 said:

I can confirm that they pick games out of a giant upside down top hat with a big question mark on the front (upside down on the hat, so it looks right side up when game name pulling commences). The hat is filled with little pieces of paper which all read, "Super Street Fighter IV comes out in April. Every tournament player will be playing this game on day 1 of release." Amazingly, after hours of pulling these crumpled up chunks of paper, it probably dawned on them that maybe tournament bound players want to play Super Street Fighter IV over regular Street Fighter IV. I say probably because I wasn't there for the pulling. I can only confirm details on the giant hat.

Your method, on the other hand, involves something much more scientific I am sure. Giant hats aren't very scientific. They're just silly...like clown pants or novelty oversized sunglasses. What on earth is the Evo staff thinking?!?

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Since Cammy doesn't have a whole lot in the way of combo versatility, i think this is a good opportunity to branch out to multiple characters.

SF4 Combo Challenge 06: 700 Class

If enough people get involved, i think we can learn a lot about SF4's damage system and maybe find a way to kill Seth with more than the 2 or 3 obvious characters.

Oh man, I need some match-up info on Vega (Claw) now. Still playing with Ryu :p
I even have LESS experience with Claw than I had with Dictator, I have played like maybe 10 or so ever since SFIV hit the consoles. So that ain't much at all.

Again, I looked on SRK but I could hardly find any useful match-up info for Ryu against Vega.
All I know is that Hadoukens get punished by EX SHC and Ultra, so I can only use fb's early ingame. DP's are also not recommended to do since they can change the trajectory of their walldives and Izuna drop when I time the dp wrong.

I also don't know what the best way is to play against Vega, should it be like pressuring him constantly up close with pokes, blockstrings and cross-ups (is this also safe when he has meter ?) or should I distance myself from him and make use of my fb's and let him come to me ?

His cr.fierce is probably his best poke, is there a move of Ryu that can outbeat that poke ?
I also read that the slide, cr.roundhouse, is also punishable; no matter what. But in the vids with Japanese pro's (which I can only find a few of) I hardly see anyone punishing them, is this because of the range ? I figured it can only be punished when the slide is done real close and when Vega is in Ryu's cr.forward range (not sweep range).

MightyKAC

MegamanXZero said:
I even have LESS experience with Claw than I had with Dictator, I have played like maybe 10 or so ever since SFIV hit the consoles. So that ain't much at all.

Again, I looked on SRK but I could hardly find any useful match-up info for Ryu against Vega.
All I know is that Hadoukens get punished by EX SHC and Ultra, so I can only use fb's early ingame. DP's are also not recommended to do since they can change the trajectory of their walldives and Izuna drop when I time the dp wrong.

I also don't know what the best way is to play against Vega, should it be like pressuring him constantly up close with pokes, blockstrings and cross-ups (is this also safe when he has meter ?) or should I distance myself from him and make use of my fb's and let him come to me ?

His cr.fierce is probably his best poke, is there a move of Ryu that can outbeat that poke ?
I also read that the slide, cr.roundhouse, is also punishable; no matter what. But in the vids with Japanese pro's (which I can only find a few of) I hardly see anyone punishing them, is this because of the range ? I figured it can only be punished when the slide is done real close and when Vega is in Ryu's cr.forward range (not sweep range).

Keeping pressure on Vega is the key. Corner him, beat his claw off, and then it's lights out for him. The slide is punishable, most of the FBA claws can be FA'd then countered. Honestly Ryu has SOO many tools VS Vega that its not even fair :)

P.S. this is from someone who main's him.

Ah thx !

So I can FA most of the FBA, does this mean the recovery is very bad during landing ? Because if he lands on the other side and I FA his FBA, do I have enough time to backdash; or is the recovery of the landing frames so bad that I even have time to punish it shortly afterwards ?
But I probably shouldn't try to FA all of his FBA attempts :p If I decide to NOT FA the FBA, what is the best thing to do ? Just block (high) or walk backwards ?

MightyKAC

MegamanXZero said:
Ah thx !

So I can FA most of the FBA, does this mean the recovery is very bad during landing ? But I probably shouldn't try to FA all of his FBA attempts :p If I decide to NOT FA the FBA, what is the best thing to do ? Just block (high) or walk backwards ?

It's honestly more annoying when my opponent consistantly air pokes me out of a FBA than anything else. And yea, after a whiffed FBA he be raped pretty thoroughly.

Can't beleive I'm giving up these secrets to a RYU player

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well I'm back in the SFIV saddle now, finally made the switch to ryu. It's soo awesome.

I'm a TOTAL scrub and I don't even care, having hardcore battles in ranked to get myself near the 1000BP mark is soo damn fun.

I'm actually improving, but now I see why so many scrubs overuse DP. it's actually hard not to :lol

Actually managed 1 DP FADC yesterday but screwed up the ultra motion and got yellow dp. Still made me yell at the telly with spaz excitement.

Anybody else learning a new character and wants to have scrub battles then add me on PC (in europe) GT: armedcatfish

also on Xbox.

jam86 said:

So much fail in this post.

(pow)

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Trying to expand my SF4 YouTube section a little. Looking for some decent mid-high tier players to matchup against, hopefully get some interesting videos.

If you'd like to take part, I'll be on XBL tonight. GT: Maximilian dood
I primarily play Ken for the most part.

fresquito

Heh, I've won my first Championship. It's the second time I try, so I'm happy :-D

Besides, I've won a battle against some dude with 2600BP. It must suck having 2600BP and losing to someone with 2000BP less than you :D

This game is awesome.

Drame

Days go by and I'm not really improving with Sakura. Still getting my ass handed online more than winning. I really need to take a closer look at her matchups. I suppose, I should have done that earlier, but oh well, better late than never.

Also, took my time and played against my friend for few hours. Seems that I'm far too predictable, always using the same tricks and so on. So I have a lot to improve. SRK had some pretty longish write-ups about Sakura, maybe I'll take a look at those.

I'm definitely not going to abandon Sakura. At least, I feel kind of unique in the sea of Ryus and Kens.

Majestros

Well, you can bet that SSF4 is gonna be at Evo for sure, but does it really make sense to leave out of SF4? Everyone plays it!

It's a tough call because Evo games have be announced months before the event. On one hand if literally everyone drops SF4 for SSF4, then it would be a waste to give SF4 a slot. On the other hand if SSF4 turns out to have dramatically different gameplay, there could be a lot of people who keep playing SF4.

The only time i can remember Evo dropping a new Capcom game after only one year was CvS1, and that's only cuz it sucked. SF4 doesn't suck so ... what's Evo gonna do?

Well, the Cannon Bros. could always do a single tournament for Super and a team tournament for SFIV. You're right, there's nothing wrong with IV. And to be honest, who knows how the community will respond to SSFIV (as in if the game is broken, etc).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
MegamanXZero said:

If he does one of those scarlet flip kicks and you block it, try to punish while he's still in the air cause he seems to recover pretty much instantly. Punish with an immediate SRK while he's still in the air, but you have to have fast reflexes. The scarlet flip kick LOOKS like it might leave Vega on the opposite side of you when he lands, but this never happens, he always lands right in front of you, so don't get confused. If you have fast reflexes and you catch him early with a lp SRK while he's still high in the air, you can immediately ultra afterwards.

Never ever ever do an srk on wakeup vs. a good Vega, you're just going to get hit with a combo into ex walldive, which hurts. I don't think Vega has a lot of good wakeup options other that the scarlet flip kick, so try to bait that out and then punish it. You're not going to outprioritize his pokes. Cr. mp sometimes works, but the timing needed for it to work is too specific for it to be useful IMO. If Vega does a cr. mp poke from up close, a lot of times he'll follow up with another cr. mp poke immediately, which will hit you if you try to jump. If you notice him doing 2 in a row like this, you can SRK the second poke. Watch out for his spring forward hop kick, that is his best and most versatile move. Hop kick into throw ticks are common. Cr. mp WILL beat out the hop kick if the opponent overuses it and you can pattern him.

If he does the horizontal wall dive attack you can counter it with a cr. mp, but this is probably not viable online cause you have to be EXTREMELY fast. Your biggest advantage is when you're up close and rushing him down. If you stay at the edge of his poke range you're gonna get killed cause if you jump in, he'll do the scarlet flip kick, and his pokes/hop kick will beat your ass. If you're comfortable countering his wall dives (I'm not), then staying back might be okay, but don't throw fireballs in a set pattern or jump around a lot cause he can ultra you pretty easily if he has your timing down. You can try to focus attack his wall dives and then dash towards him and throw him or combo him, but i think he can Izuna drop you out of a focus attack, so use sparingly.

DISCLAIMER: I am not good at the Ryu vs. Vega matchup, but this is some stuff I've learned in the past month or so.

jam86 said:
I will echo all the people laughing at your post, not because we hate you or teasing you but because its going to be SSF4.. no questions asked. I can understand money wise but really the community is not going to backlash that quickly and give up that fast on something that they have been craving for the past 6 months.

Just watched the Exceed 2 tournament and Zak Bennet's Akuma is god like. And Sky's chun is digusting too. There's some real good players in the UK.

AZ Greg

LeMaximilian said:
Good games, AZ Greg. Had to jet suddenly to get something to eat. Isn't Vega your main?

GGs. Thanks for the beatings! :lol

Yeah, I main Vega, but I picked up Dhalsim a couple of days ago and have been trying to learn him. Was getting a little bored of Vega and want to try and keep the game fresh until Super. Figured the beatings vs. your Ken would provide some good experience (Though I don't feel any better about the match-up :lol). Plus rush down destroys my Vega so I doubt I would have won much even with him.

Timedog said:
If he does one of those scarlet flip kicks and you block it, try to punish while he's still in the air cause he seems to recover pretty much instantly. Punish with an immediate SRK while he's still in the air, but you have to have fast reflexes. The scarlet flip kick LOOKS like it might leave Vega on the opposite side of you when he lands, but this never happens, he always lands right in front of you, so don't get confused. If you have fast reflexes and you catch him early with a lp SRK while he's still high in the air, you can immediately ultra afterwards.

Never ever ever do an srk on wakeup vs. a good Vega, you're just going to get hit with a combo into ex walldive, which hurts. I don't think Vega has a lot of good wakeup options other that the scarlet flip kick, so try to bait that out and then punish it. You're not going to outprioritize his pokes. Cr. mp sometimes works, but the timing needed for it to work is too specific for it to be useful IMO. If Vega does a cr. mp poke from up close, a lot of times he'll follow up with another cr. mp poke immediately, which will hit you if you try to jump. If you notice him doing 2 in a row like this, you can SRK the second poke. Watch out for his spring forward hop kick, that is his best and most versatile move. Hop kick into throw ticks are common. Cr. mp WILL beat out the hop kick if the opponent overuses it and you can pattern him.

If he does the horizontal wall dive attack you can counter it with a cr. mp, but this is probably not viable online cause you have to be EXTREMELY fast. Your biggest advantage is when you're up close and rushing him down. If you stay at the edge of his poke range you're gonna get killed cause if you jump in, he'll do the scarlet flip kick, and his pokes/hop kick will beat your ass. If you're comfortable countering his wall dives (I'm not), then staying back might be okay, but don't throw fireballs in a set pattern or jump around a lot cause he can ultra you pretty easily if he has your timing down. You can try to focus attack his wall dives and then dash towards him and throw him or combo him, but i think he can Izuna drop you out of a focus attack, so use sparingly.

DISCLAIMER: I am not good at the Ryu vs. Vega matchup, but this is some stuff I've learned in the past month or so.

Thx for the input man ! I appreciate it, I guess the only way to really learn this is by actually playing it a lot. I'll try to keep those things in mind, thx again !

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Majestros said:
Well, you can bet that SSF4 is gonna be at Evo for sure, but does it really make sense to leave out of SF4? Everyone plays it!

It's a tough call because Evo games have be announced months before the event. On one hand if literally everyone drops SF4 for SSF4, then it would be a waste to give SF4 a slot. On the other hand if SSF4 turns out to have dramatically different gameplay, there could be a lot of people who keep playing SF4.

The only time i can remember Evo dropping a new Capcom game after only one year was CvS1, and that's only cuz it sucked. SF4 doesn't suck so ... what's Evo gonna do?

If SSF4 is clearly more balanced, SF4 will get dropped fast.

If it isn't, Capcom will have a KOF-type situation on hand with a split playerbase, and will likely end up doing a SSF4 Turbo or something.

ShinNL

BotoxAgent said:
Here's some new season's beatings videos i saw on youtube:

Sanford (Cammy) vs Daigo
There are days when I wonder how I would fair if I fight against them. I think it's unfair that Europeans don't really enjoy the luxury of being near large events. I really don't think Sanford's Cammy is all that amazing. Last time I typed anything about his Cammy (what's predictable, certain flawed executions and what could have been a better choice) on YouTube itself I got thumbed down for it. Life is so unfair :(

(I know right now because of this post I will look like an internet scrub bragging. That's the unfair part. Can't really fight anyone to prove anything wrong.)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
arstal said:

If it isn't, Capcom will have a KOF-type situation on hand with a split playerbase, and will likely end up doing a SSF4 Turbo or something.

Why can't they just patch it online? If it comes out in arcade later they'll get the patched version.

Also, unless there's something INSANE in the game, I feel like changing all the players stamina is THE BEST way to balance a game. The only pitfall (that i can think of) is that underpowered characters that have a really good matchup vs. one or two characters become OP in those matchups, BUT that is rarely the case, and I think this is better than changing move properties and then possibly having some magic shit happen that the developers didn't anticipate that could break the game/players having to learn a bunch of new shit.

Threi

notag
Soneet said:
There are days when I wonder how I would fair if I fight against them. I think it's unfair that Europeans don't really enjoy the luxury of being near large events. I really don't think Sanford's Cammy is all that amazing. Last time I typed anything about his Cammy (what's predictable, certain flawed executions and what could have been a better choice) on YouTube itself I got thumbed down for it. Life is so unfair :(

(I know right now because of this post I will look like an internet scrub bragging. That's the unfair part. Can't really fight anyone to prove anything wrong.)
Agreed...if it wasn't for the fact that Sanford was playing a high tier char Daigo would have destroyed him.

Soneet said:

I agree, I think guys like James Chen and Vietnamazing have a better Cammy, mainly because they stick with her exclusively and try to work out all her bad matchups. Sanford seems to use her as a counterpick, and here he seems to capitalize Daigo's unfamiliarity with the matchup and some of her setups.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Soneet said:
I really don't think Sanford's Cammy is all that amazing.

I'm pretty surprised at this. Sanford's is the only Cammy I've seen where I've been amazed at how well she can actually be played. There are other good Cammy players, but they all seem more like run-of-the-mill experienced Cammy players but with better execution.

By the way, anyone want to help me break in my new spring? GFW: KakThInfected

Soneet said:

I wouldn't put execution in the same league as having better answers to situations in a fight. Many players can do (or even beat) what competitive players can do combo wise. But it doesn't mean that they're stronger.

Threi said:
Agreed...if it wasn't for the fact that Sanford was playing a high tier char Daigo would have destroyed him.

f6b7ce5b.jpg

Majestros

arstal said:

Yeah but SRK can't wait until June to announce the Evo lineup. Either way they're gonna have to gamble because they have to decide before it becomes clear whether SSF4 is good or not. The SSF4 singles / SF4 teams idea mentioned earlier sounds like an interesting way to go, but marquee tournaments have always been singles at Evo. All the team stuff has been exhibitions.

SSF4 will be at Evo no matter what, unless it gets delayed by months. The question is whether they should get rid of SF4. Cuz right now, nobody can predict whether the entire SF4 player base will convert to SSF4 or some absurd number (like half) stick to SF4. I mean, it would seem kinda ridiculous if they decide to keep 3S and get 200 entrants, then someone randomly holds a side tournament for SF4 and gets 800 people standing in line to sign up.

Cuz i don't know about you, but i wouldn't trust random characters with holding onto $8k in a Vegas casino. SF4 side tournaments = shadiness guaranteed.

ShinNL

DryEyeRelief said:
I wouldn't put execution in the same league as having better answers to situations in a fight. Many players can do (or even beat) what competitive players can do combo wise. But it doesn't mean that they're stronger.
I think his zoning, faints and pressure game are totally off as well. Not just talking about this match.

DryEyeRelief said:

Yeah, knowledge and proper matchup experience is definitely a plus. But Sanford DOES have some of the best execution in the country bar none. For most top players execution isn't an issue. Unless you're Valle :lol

Top Bottom