• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Goodness, I've been accused of something a few times in the PC version recently. Funny thing is that the basis for the accusation doesn't really even fit. I played a Gouken for the 2nd time, I beat him in the first set. He wins the 1st round easily and it starts getting laggy and he accuses me of lag switch before realizing it was his roommate hogging all the bandwidth.

Then I have this Ken player that I've come across many times. We split the first 2 rounds and I start off with a small lead and when the game ends abruptly he sends me a message saying why did I quit and I'm a bitch. We're not on each others friends list but we've played each other frequently because our BP are close. I figured he would know better since we've traded wins and losses plenty of times and I have a 0% dc rate.

So basically, can people chill with the accusations unless it's really apparent. But even in that case, try and hear out the other person before making up your mind. I offered the Ken player a rematch, even if that meant looking for him in rank. Unfortunately he never responded(maybe he was offline).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ever have that like 10 seconds at the beginning of a round where your opponent's dancing around and whiffing normals nobody ever uses and you're like 'man this guy must be good' and then it turns out it's just some kid mashing buttons

Rice-Eater said:
Goodness, I've been accused of something a few times in the PC version recently. Funny thing is that the basis for the accusation doesn't really even fit. I played a Gouken for the 2nd time, I beat him in the first set. He wins the 1st round easily and it starts getting laggy and he accuses me of lag switch before realizing it was his roommate hogging all the bandwidth.

Then I have this Ken player that I've come across many times. We split the first 2 rounds and I start off with a small lead and when the game ends abruptly he sends me a message saying why did I quit and I'm a bitch. We're not on each others friends list but we've played each other frequently because our BP are close. I figured he would know better since we've traded wins and losses plenty of times and I have a 0% dc rate.

So basically, can people chill with the accusations unless it's really apparent. But even in that case, try and hear out the other person before making up your mind. I offered the Ken player a rematch, even if that meant looking for him in rank. Unfortunately he never responded(maybe he was offline).
Why are you telling us to chill. I really doubt anyone here does what you are even saying.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
cheapocrespo's probably the best Fuerte I've played. We had a ft10 a few months ago and he took the first 7 games in a row. Thankfully I ended up not getting completely destroyed and ended up winning 5 before he got to 10.

But yeah, dude's solid.

hitsugi

drohne said:
ever have that like 10 seconds at the beginning of a round where your opponent's dancing around and whiffing normals nobody ever uses and you're like 'man this guy must be good' and then it turns out it's just some kid mashing buttons

never happened to me, but i wanted to say that your avatar never fails to make me laugh.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Why are you telling us to chill. I really doubt anyone here does what you are even saying.

You misunderstood me, it's more a rant and not me trying to teach the people here some kind lesson. Basically it's me saying "Damn it, why are people like this. They shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly and should try handling it this way".

So I played about 6 matches with this dude on Live yesterday, and basically beasted with my Bison. In the third round, I choose Ms. Thunderthighs, and he choose Seth and beat me (he played one of those annoying keep away Seths, but the game was 2-3).
My Bison, of course beat his Seth though. 2 rounds later, I choose Chun again and he choose Seth and beat me 0-3 then quit. I typically do well against Seth with my Chun (especially compared to my Bison), but I was a bit off yesterday. But what made the whole thing funny is that he taunted nearly half our fight after having been nearly perfected each round by my Bison. Whatever makes him happy I guess.

dragonballjoseph said:
But what made the whole thing funny is that he taunted nearly half our fight after having been nearly perfected each round by my Bison. Whatever makes him happy I guess.

Some players do that to try and mess with the heads of there opponents, and it does work sometimes work sometimes. Some people may lose focus because the taunt pisses them off, especially when they're clearly winning the match and feel insulted by it.

The funny thing is that some guy taunted me after dizzying me while still having 100% of his health. He puts me down to like 10% or so but then I come back and start combo'ing his ass left and right and dizzy him and finish with Ultra. And I was playing Ken so finishing with Ken's Ultra made it even sweeter :lol

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Even though jumping is absolutely a part of footsies, i've been a little hesitant to talk about it because i believe the ground game has to come first. But crossups are a major part of offensive footsies so i think this is a good time to look into some reliable ways of setting them up.

Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 9

Hopefully everything's explained clearly but i added a few notes at the end too.

Rektash

Quick question concerning the Balrog - Vega matchup. What to do against Vegas super? I get hit by it every time because I don t know how to counter the throw.

Joekage

LeMaximilian said:
Pretty well, think I went around 17-36 with Ken vs Akuma. Took awhile to warm up...but Ken's glaring problems are really apparent against the more top tier characters, except for Sagat. I usually have no problems against him for some reason...

Just watched your matches against Ed Ma. You're amazing man. I'm a Rufus player, who decided to learn Ken a couple weeks ago, just from watching your videos against Haunts, Filipino Champ and Valle. I just thought to let you know that you're like my inspiration for learning/grinding with Ken and hopefully one day I can play you on equal footing with him. Keep up the good work man.

tl;dr

I worship the ground you walk on. Good shit.

Pctx

Banned
I need to test out my Guile against some of you here soon. I've been getting better with him beating some G1-A's on a regular basis but losing to some absolute scrubs who are worse than flowchart kens. Ugh.

Feel free to add me on PSN: Pctx as I want to start gaming with the gaffers. :D

AZ Greg

Rektash said:
Quick question concerning the Balrog - Vega matchup. What to do against Vegas super? I get hit by it every time because I don t know how to counter the throw.

Just do a tap as he descends on you.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oichi said:
This is Ryukichi-kun, a 13 year old Ryu player. He's also entering Japan's SF4 national qualifers today. I'm going to the tournament in an hour or so to play, but I'm looking forward to seeing just how good this kid is. He looks REALLY impressive in this vid IMO, considering his age.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm8203249

Wow, let us know how he placed - some things he's messing up a bit that I can see that the top players will punish him greatly for, but hell, he can FADC into Ultra already.

And at such a young learning age, if he keeps at it, he can turn into a beast in no time, especially with the comp in Japan.

Skilotonn said:
Wow, let us know how he placed - some things he's messing up a bit that I can see that the top players will punish him greatly for, but hell, he can FADC into Ultra already.

And at such a young learning age, if he keeps at it, he can turn into a beast in no time, especially with the comp in Japan.
that's what I thought. 13? In ten years we might be looking at Daigo 2

Shito

Speaking of the devil: wasn't Daigo 13 when he set his 286-win streak record on Darkstalkers?
I'd say this Ryukichi-kun guy is already late on his planning if he wants to become a "Daigo²"! ^^

Speaking of Young-ins, I was watching LA Riots II and I had never seen Jayce the Ace (sp) before. He's such a young kid, and he was battling against people double his age.

And this Japanese kid, if he levels up at the arcades, should be a force to reckon with.

Man, I haven't played this game in more than two weeks. I've been knee-deep in a class but I do watch the streams.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I know you all are joking, but the more I watch this kid play, the more I'd have never guessed that he's so young - he's even doing links and zoning and everything...

_dementia said:
that's what I thought. 13? In ten years we might be looking at Daigo 2

For real - in the environment he's in, I can see him becoming Daigo 2 for real.

Someone should fly him in to the US/Europe just for kicks in a year if he keeps playing Street Fighter just to see how he can do against the rest of the world!

Shito said:
Speaking of the devil: wasn't Daigo 13 when he set his 286-win streak record on Darkstalkers?
I'd say this Ryukichi-kun guy is already late on his planning if he wants to become a "Daigo²"! ^^

No clue, but impressive if so, never knew that...

CPS2

Skilotonn said:
but hell, he can FADC into Ultra already.
that's a bit insulting :lol

He actually appears to be good, there's plenty of people who can FADC into ultra and are not good.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kid seems to be pretty good.

But with the way some of you talk, you'd think he was 5 and not 13. 13-year-olds being good at video games isn't all that uncommon.

Lost Fragment said:
Kid seems to be pretty good.

But with the way some of you talk, you'd think he was 5 and not 13. 13-year-olds being good at video games isn't all that uncommon.

Yeah I think the best rockband (or was it guitar hero?) player is 13 or something like that.

Also being good when you're young just means you reach your full potential at a younger age. It doesn't mean you have a higher skill peak. Daigo was the best at Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers when he was like what, 16? But while being a perennial top player, he has yet to be the best player at any game since then.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure the kid will be a monster.

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah I think the best rockband (or was it guitar hero?) player is 13 or something like that.

Also being good when you're young just means you reach your full potential at a younger age. It doesn't mean you have a higher skill peak. Daigo was the best at Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers when he was like what, 16? But while being a perennial top player, he has yet to be the best player at any game since then.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure the kid will be a monster.

Personal theory is that as you grow older your reactions start to fade but your execution might go up. Like for me, well long long ago I could anti air anything on reaction with Cammy, in multiple games, now well not so much lol.

Man I feel old now.

Can someone link maximilian vs ed ma pls. Tried searching youtube and ctrl + f 'ing last couple pages but no success :(
Much appreciated. Thanks.
(why am I not subscribed to maximilian's channel?)

BotoxAgent said:
Maximillian - I enjoyed your Ed Ma videos!

Could you give a link to his youtube profile so we may also enjoy these fruits?

And Find, I'd say in this current climate of no absolute steamrolling player like Tomo Ohiro, I'd say Daigo is probably the best SFIV player in the world. He won SB4, Evo and the "World" championships last year in the USA. He's like #3 in BP and can beat Mago, Oijisan, etc. Japan is so random. Players don't really get a chance to warm up. Considering the weird Japanese rules and the incredible skill level of the local players, Daigo is not wholly dominating in that scene but could easily be the top player.

Papi

Spiderjericho said:
Speaking of Young-ins, I was watching LA Riots II and I had never seen Jayce the Ace (sp) before. He's such a young kid, and he was battling against people double his age.
And using Viper.

Tough crowd. No respect for Shine, Daigo, Valle, Sanford, 13-year-old Japanese kids, Jayce The Ace (SP), Ryu players, Sagat players, Boxer players, etc, etc.

I can't play Viper, so i think the kid did a good job. Did he got entered into LA Riots II because of how he did at Bar Fights II? And Shizza is probably the best Chun on the West Coast (or maybe not, as Ortiz and ROM are both pretty good too). And the Keno EYE!!

-Mikey-

After watching Jayce the Ace I've started using Viper. Guess he must be new to the scene? I've only been able to find L.A. Riots II and Bar Fights videos of him.

Spiderjericho said:
Tough crowd. No respect for Shine, Daigo, Valle, Sanford, 13-year-old Japanese kids, Jayce The Ace (SP), Ryu players, Sagat players, Boxer players, etc, etc.

I can't play Viper, so i think the kid did a good job. Did he got entered into LA Riots II because of how he did at Bar Fights II? And Shizza is probably the best Chun on the West Coast (or maybe not, as Ortiz and ROM are both pretty good too). And the Keno EYE!!

I think he was a sub for Shady K.

Timedog said:
I bet I could beat that 13 year old. And Ed Ma.

Who wants to battle my Redneck ass?

GGs Time. I appreciate you taking a break from whatever game you were playing. Your Ryu is good. I had a lot of problems with him when I picked Honda (who I'm not really good with) and Dictator. I need to learn to deal with the Ryu footsie/pressure.

Also, LOL on the randoms.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yeah, GG's.

I underestimated your Sagat and kept jumping in on that last match. I was real salty afterwards :lol

Timedog said:
Yeah, GG's.

I underestimated your Sagat and kept jumping in on that last match. I was real salty afterwards :lol

Don't be, it was all fun. I really don't know how to play with him, so I merely chucked tigers and threw out standing roundhouse. Like I said, your Ryu beasted on my secondary characters (Honda, Dictator, etc). You were a good sport in humoring me in randoms.

And Maxi is such a beast. I'ma check out the vids tomorrow.

Alright, finally put Gen's trials to rest. All that leaves are the New Characters' Trials (C.Viper, ELF, Rufus, & Abel)

'hope to God I can finish these before SSIV drops

Top Bottom