• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Zapages

I just had a Diego vs Justin Wong Moment. But it was a lot more crazy as I had only had inch of health and the other guy had full health.... I came back and won. OMG!!!

I wish I could have recorded it... It would have been amazing.... Pure Awesomeness.

Balrog vs Ryu (Me)

Zapages said:
I just had a Diego vs Justin Wong Moment. But it was a lot more crazy as I had only had inch of health and the other guy had full health.... I came back and won. OMG!!!

I wish I could have recorded it... It would have been amazing.... Pure Awesomeness.

Balrog vs Ryu (Me)
Whoever played Rog needs to be bitchslapped!!!

Zapages

Ravager61 said:
I just drew in the finals of a G2 championship with double KO. It was pretty epic.:lol

That has happened to me about 6 times in G2... Its always. :lol

black_vegeta said:
Whoever played Rog needs to be bitchslapped!!!

I won fairly easily the 1st round. Then he came full force the 2nd round and barely escaped from getting perfected. Then the last round started it was a repeat of the 2nd round. Then I got my game on and came back full force. It was intense.

Joekage

So, I got the cr lk cr lp hp srk link down... and still struggling on cr mk into hadouken. I mean, I used to be able to do it fine but today seem to have trouble with it, I am so confused lol.

Seems I can get the more technical combos like FADC ultra and etc but can't do the basic things. Gonna work on that tonight after work. Anyone on PSN who is down to help a pad warrior turned stick user please send me a message/invite on PSN so I may allow GAF to lower my 70% win percentage rate :)

PSN: TostitoSalsa

Also, FADC stream is pretty wtf right now. Sanford gonna take it all.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
hatemail woo! havent gotten that in a while.

also went 20w-4l today, should have played more games i was doing well. >_>

SmokeMaxX

Joekage said:
So, I got the cr lk cr lp hp srk link down... and still struggling on cr mk into hadouken. I mean, I used to be able to do it fine but today seem to have trouble with it, I am so confused lol.

down + mk, df, forward + punch?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I debuted my Fuerte online today, and on my first try made it to a G2 final to be narrowly defeated by a 7700 ken.

I decided to take him up as a second character to my akuma, just a total change of pace the way the inputs work, but with a similar idea of play, the vortex style. My akuma still needs a ton of work, but I took a week off after ordering my stick (coming today!) because I figured more practice wouldn't make much of a difference since I have to relearn everything anyway, pretty much.

So, any tips for Fuerte? A basic wake up mix-up game is enough to confuse people who aren't very good, but my game gets transparent pretty quickly and projectiles give me trouble. I can do the wall bounce stuff with him, but that's easily countered after a few times.

Going to work on the infinite eventually, I feel like it'll be a ton easier on a stick, I found it to be near impossible on a standard xbox controller.

Joekage

SmokeMaxX said:
down + mk, df, forward + punch?

Haha, yeah I mean, that's what I'm doing but keep getting just a punch after the cr mk so obviously I'm not dong the qcf motion in the correct way. Just gonna stay in training mode and work it out that way. Still scratching my head how I can do FADC ultra but can't do a hadouken consistently.. something is wrong with me I swear

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Imm0rt4l said:
I triple perfected a guy with my gouken last night :lol, he wasn't bad at all, just mind fucked.

If you triple perfected a guy than he's either bad, or you're Justin Wong.

Joekage said:
Haha, yeah I mean, that's what I'm doing but keep getting just a punch after the cr mk so obviously I'm not dong the qcf motion in the correct way. Just gonna stay in training mode and work it out that way. Still scratching my head how I can do FADC ultra but can't do a hadouken consistently.. something is wrong with me I swear

If you are having a problem doing SRK's instead of a fireball, hold db before doing the fireball motion.

If you are getting a cr. punch, it means you are pressing the punch button too early. Try doing d, df, f, up f + punch.

Majestros said:
The last chapter covers the x-factor which makes everything run smoothly: Randomness.

Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 10

You need randomness to throw your opponents off track so they can't tell what you're trying to bait. Without it, your whole gameplan becomes dry and your intentions become predictable.

I enjoyed the series very much and learned a lot from it. And I love how you follow each element with video examples. Keep up the great work. Hope you do more.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
the_log_ride said:
Loved this series. Any plans for a follow-up?
Yeah actually, i want to do two more kinda tangential articles about related topics and then an epilogue about some stuff jchensor and i discussed a long time ago.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Sanford (Akuma) vs Daigo (Ryu) Foney Match 2/2 @ Seasons' Beatings 4

What are sanford and daigo trying to do (or prevent) when they throw out a light kick during hado fights.

it happens at
:08 (akuma)
:19 (akuma)
:20 (ryu)
:39 (ryu)
:49 (akuma)
:50 (akuma)

and so on, and so on.

is standing lk just a fast poke or are they doing some kind of option select. This is what my akuma does when i try to link st. hk -> cr. lk XX tatsu if the cr.lk is too far away. So are they trying for a quick cr. lk XX tatsu option select? doesnt seem very safe if the other guy is ducking, so whats the deal?

eva01

What are sanford and daigo trying to do (or prevent) when they throw out a light kick during hado fights.
Its used to bait jump ins and to distract your opponent sometimes it stuffs moves

bistromathics said:

it happens at

and so on, and so on.

is standing lk just a fast poke or are they doing some kind of option select. This is what my akuma does when i try to link st. hk -> cr. lk XX tatsu if the cr.lk is too far away. So are they trying for a quick cr. lk XX tatsu option select? doesnt seem very safe if the other guy is ducking, so whats the deal?
the might be trying to bait with input sound. or not.

bistromathics said:

it happens at

and so on, and so on.

he's probably baiting a jump in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNQ-92mwZE8

in this match (check at around 4:14) Sanford does the same thing and the commentator points it out and explains it. The opponent falls for it and gets tagged with FADC ultra

gkryhewy

Finally got bumped to G2, and held my own against some people with crazy amounts of GP (compared to me). I think I won 2 of 5. Felt good!

SpiffyG

I don't know if this has been asked before, and seeing as how I can't search the thread for some reason, I'll ask it (again?):

In Championship mode, I'm in the G1 bracket. And in it, if you win a "Final" match, it saves and uploads your replay, right? Now, I know where to FIND my replays, but every time I try to watch my own replays, I get the message "Unable to receive replay date". Every time. I can watch every other match but my own. Does anyone else have this problem? And is there a solution? Or am I fucked?

Majestros

bistromathics said:
That's actually what my last footsies article was about. Whiffing s.LK is a fake, but it's not meant to bait jumps. Nobody's gonna jump at you because you're whiffing s.LK, that would be ridiculous.

What causes opponents to jump are the fireball patterns you set to manipulate them. They jump because they think a fireball is coming.

But here's the key. They're only gonna jump if they feel pressured on the ground. You're not gonna make this happen by standing around. You have to throw those fireballs - enough of them to get in their head. It's risky but you're not gonna get anywhere without following through on your gameplan.

Even on your best day, you're gonna guess wrong sometimes. You're gonna stop throwing fireballs expecting them to jump, and they won't jump, and you'll end up standing around looking indecisive. That lets them off the hook mentally. It gives them a chance to take a breath and regain composure. Obviously you don't want that.

That's where whiffing s.LK comes in. It makes you look like you're doing something even when you're doing nothing. It doesn't maintain real momentum the way throwing a fireball would, but it does sustain psychological momentum in those spots where you think throwing a fireball might get you killed.

Make sense?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Majestros said:
That's actually what my last footsies article was about. Whiffing s.LK is a fake, but it's not meant to bait jumps. Nobody's gonna jump at you because you're whiffing s.LK, that would be ridiculous.

What causes opponents to jump are the fireball patterns you set to manipulate them. They jump because they think a fireball is coming.

But here's the key. They're only gonna jump if they feel pressured on the ground. You're not gonna make this happen by standing around. You have to throw those fireballs - enough of them to get in their head. It's risky but you're not gonna get anywhere without following through on your gameplan.

Even on your best day, you're gonna guess wrong sometimes. You're gonna stop throwing fireballs expecting them to jump, and they won't jump, and you'll end up standing around looking indecisive. That lets them off the hook mentally. It gives them a chance to take a breath and regain composure. Obviously you don't want that.

That's where whiffing s.LK comes in. It makes you look like you're doing something even when you're doing nothing. It doesn't maintain real momentum the way throwing a fireball would, but it does sustain psychological momentum in those spots where you think throwing a fireball might get you killed.

Make sense?

awesome post.

Also, whoa @ daigo using chip fireball into super for the chipdamage win. I need to learn how to actually use ryu's super.

Majestros said:

Make sense?

I'm assuming this is the same idea used by competitive Chun-Li players as they whiff standing jabs full screen, while applying kikoken pressure?

Majestros

With charge characters, some people whiff jabs for rhythm. I do it cuz it helps keep me awake and alert. Try it sometime. It just feels good.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Majestros said:
With charge characters, some people whiff jabs for rhythm. I do it cuz it helps keep me awake and alert. Try it sometime. It just feels good.

yeah..i do the same thing with some characters...in ST with deejay i used to whiff cr.strong and do either a low forward or roundhouse..or a maxout..sometimes it just makes your oppnent react or turtle up..sometimes the random safe attacks are good for opening up your opponent or just make them guess or walk into shit

Anony

pc verison, is there a way to disable the announcer voice files? replace with stub voice files or something?
and how is the modding stuff on the pc verison?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Majestros said:

It's for spacing, to keep you from moving back as much if you wish to stand.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
bistromathics said:

it happens at

and so on, and so on.

:lol :lol I can't stop lol'ing at the commentator

edit: Apparently it's hu just doing it on purpose? ... still hilarious :lol

noisome07

Banned
Anony said:
is there a way to load a save file
i dont want to go through the arcade to unlock stuff (ie i suck)

Yea, on the same site I linked look on the right side for "Unlocking Mods and Trainers", it'll tell ya how there.

Anony

yeah, i saw it, i should be safe as long as i dont go online while doing it right?

sigh, what happened to the good old days of loading savefiles

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Anony said:
yeah, i saw it, i should be safe as long as i dont go online while doing it right?

i unlocked everything that way and i still go online. didn't pirate the DLC or anything like that though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Anony said:

You're safe even if you do go online. YOu just don't get the acheivements for it (big whoop)

Aedile

AZ Greg said:
Anyone down for some matches on XBL?

AZ Greg, are there videos of your Vega anywhere? I've been having a lot of fun (but not a lot of success) playing him lately, and I'd be interested to see how a good player uses him.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Majestros said:
Wouldn't DB be more accurate for that?

It's also more obvious, and most charge chars have an anti-air that's d/u so they won't jump on a croucher.

Almost every decent Guile in ST/HDR knew to use knee to go forward while charging and RH would work as well. Forward was to go back, jab to stand still.

Majestros

arstal said:
It's also more obvious, and most charge chars have an anti-air that's d/u so they won't jump on a croucher.

Almost every decent Guile in ST/HDR knew to use knee to go forward while charging and RH would work as well. Forward was to go back, jab to stand still.
Um, i think we're starting to go off track here. Chun doesn't have down-charge anti-air so ... ? And who cares about obvious from full screen away?

Also, there's literally one spot on the screen where using Guile's knee to go forward is a good idea and you need them to block a Sonic Boom first. The only time you use B+MK to move backward is when there's an attack on the screen and walking backward doesn't work. Even then, you're usually better off just blocking low to maintain Flash Kick charge. I don't know how you define "decent" but in my book decent ST Guiles don't stand up for no reason, unless they're playing flashy because their opponent is clueless.

SF4 Guile and ST Guile are nothing alike.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Majestros said:
Um, i think we're starting to go off track here. Chun doesn't have down-charge anti-air so ... ? And who cares about obvious from full screen away?

Also, there's literally one spot on the screen where using Guile's knee to go forward is a good idea and you need them to block a Sonic Boom first. The only time you use B+MK to move backward is when there's an attack on the screen and walking backward doesn't work. Even then, you're usually better off just blocking low to maintain Flash Kick charge. I don't know how you define "decent" but in my book decent ST Guiles don't stand up for no reason, unless they're playing flashy because their opponent is clueless.

SF4 Guile and ST Guile are nothing alike.

I've dumped SF4 for HDR right now, and I use Guile some (he's like my 4th char behind Chun/Sim/Hawk- and yes you need 3-4 chars in HDR,or banned Akuma)

There are some offensive Guile's in ST , I like to throw sonic boom and walk in (which is better in HDR due to him getting an overhead- but not vs Blanka who can duck it)
If Guile gets someone in the corner, they're in trouble.

As for SF4- this is an aspect of SF2 that was dumbed down in SF4. (SF4 had some good and bad changes compared to SF2)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Help! I can't seem to be able to get the space enough to do SHIT with Guile vs Zangief...

Help please!!

Top Bottom