• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also, what are some good bread'n'butter combos with Gouken? Let's say I have full super and full ultra bar and I've got my enemy on crumble.

Yoshichan said:
Also, what are some good bread'n'butter combos with Gouken? Let's say I have full super and full ultra bar and I've got my enemy on crumble.

cr.Fierce xx EX Palm, FADC (after the second hit that puts the opponent in a juggle state), Ultra.
also,
cr.Forward xx Tatsu, FADC, Ultra.

and the hypeness:
(corner-only) j.Fierce, st.Fierce xx EX Palm, EX hado, Ultra

Majestros said:
That's actually what my last footsies article was about. Whiffing s.LK is a fake, but it's not meant to bait jumps. Nobody's gonna jump at you because you're whiffing s.LK, that would be ridiculous.

What causes opponents to jump are the fireball patterns you set to manipulate them. They jump because they think a fireball is coming.

But here's the key. They're only gonna jump if they feel pressured on the ground. You're not gonna make this happen by standing around. You have to throw those fireballs - enough of them to get in their head. It's risky but you're not gonna get anywhere without following through on your gameplan.

Even on your best day, you're gonna guess wrong sometimes. You're gonna stop throwing fireballs expecting them to jump, and they won't jump, and you'll end up standing around looking indecisive. That lets them off the hook mentally. It gives them a chance to take a breath and regain composure. Obviously you don't want that.

That's where whiffing s.LK comes in. It makes you look like you're doing something even when you're doing nothing. It doesn't maintain real momentum the way throwing a fireball would, but it does sustain psychological momentum in those spots where you think throwing a fireball might get you killed.

Make sense?

great explanation Maj!! Thanks! I've been the same thing, but I never realized how valid it was until you explained it. lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
cr.Fierce xx EX Palm, FADC (after the second hit that puts the opponent in a juggle state), Ultra.
also,
cr.Forward xx Tatsu, FADC, Ultra.

and the hypeness:
(corner-only) j.Fierce, st.Fierce xx EX Palm, EX hado, Ultra
Dude, THANKS! Works great!

Edit - oh and FUCK tatsu fadc, it's so confusing in battle.

Joekage

Quick Question. As you all know, I'm a new stick user gradually getting used to it and etc. Decided to pick up Ryu/Ken as they seemed like better character to gain the most experience using the stick and etc.

My question is basically this. I'm working on ultra setups, and I'm confused as to how using the last two buttons on the default stick configuration (PPP AND KKK) is viewed in the community. I watch streams all the time, and notice that most top players don't use them, opting to actually press all 3 punch/kick buttons. Coming from pad it's hard to get used to that, but I'm not opposed to learning although the macros make it so much easier. But with the whole macro thing, how is that viewed? Do people in tournaments look down on that, or is it just a matter of preference? What is GAF's view on this?

Joekage said:
Quick Question. As you all know, I'm a new stick user gradually getting used to it and etc. Decided to pick up Ryu/Ken as they seemed like better character to gain the most experience using the stick and etc.

My question is basically this. I'm working on ultra setups, and I'm confused as to how using the last two buttons on the default stick configuration (PPP AND KKK) is viewed in the community. I watch streams all the time, and notice that most top players don't use them, opting to actually press all 3 punch/kick buttons. Coming from pad it's hard to get used to that, but I'm not opposed to learning although the macros make it so much easier. But with the whole macro thing, how is that viewed? Do people in tournaments look down on that, or is it just a matter of preference? What is GAF's view on this?
Macros are generally legal in console tournaments. Just use whichever configuration makes sense to you.

Joekage said:

I think it's preference, there's no shame in using 'em. I find it more reliable because I use my ultra and EX moves a decent amount, and no in-game macro should be looked down upon anyway.

I definitely think it helps when going from pad to stick, but again, it's probably preference.

MoxManiac

Joekage said:

I had the same question when I first started using a stick. The result was, I found pressing the 3 individual buttons so easy and natural on a stick, I forgot the macros existed. In fact, I'm pretty sure using the macros would be much more awkward for me.

Threi

notag
gah i haven't played this game in AGES...TvC became my new fighting game fix.

I am probably horrible at the game now...I stopped playing it when I was at a wall, maybe SSF4 will re-ignite the flame.

Threi said:
gah i haven't played this game in AGES...TvC became my new fighting game fix.

I am probably horrible at the game now...I stopped playing it when I was at a wall, maybe SSF4 will re-ignite the flame.
My TvC honeymoon is ending and I'm thinking about returning to IV
at this moment TvC is more fun for me to watch but IV is more appealing to play

imtehman

Banned
Joekage said:

hahahahah, here's my experience with this.

when i first got my TE stick, i used everything. The turbo button, set buttons for focus attack and PPP

well for a few weeks i got used to it and everything was a ok.

fast forward to my friend's birthday a few months later who lived in anaheim so i drove out there to celebrate it with him and his friends. They knew i picked up street fighter so they decided we should go to this arcade place called arcade infinity. Had some buy one get one free boba and went to try my hand agaisnt the local street fighter players.

Lo and behold, the sf4 cabinet had no turbo or 4th row of buttons. I went home getting my ass kicked. Worse of all, there were some girls there who kicked my ass too. (not that there's anything wrong with that but damn, my pride!)

What did i do when i got home? Turned off the turbo, set the extra buttons to no function, and started from scratch plotting my revenge at that arcade. :lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
imtehman said:
fast forward to my friend's birthday a few months later who lived in anaheim so i drove out there to celebrate it with him and his friends. They knew i picked up street fighter so they decided we should go to this arcade place called arcade infinity. Had some buy one get one free boba and went to try my hand agaisnt the local street fighter players.

In your defense, most of the players who hang out at Arcade Infinity are probably going to be at least decent. Some of the top players in So Cal play there. :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Anyone remembers the tournament name were Daigo defeated Fei Wong on finals?
It was pretty awesome, Wong was winning and then Diego downloaded Justin's Fei and BAM!

Fersis said:
Anyone remembers the tournament name were Daigo defeated Fei Wong on finals?
It was pretty awesome, Wong was winning and then Diego downloaded Justin's Fei and BAM!

Yeah, that was Season's Beatings Fo (4).

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Oh, and add 'Crispy' to that list. I'm sure it's used to reference execution, however I have no idea its origins. Been using it forever tho, haha.

I'm surprised "Safeway Select" and to "body" someone isn't up there, but I guess they're too obvious.

Speaking of Seasons Beatings 4, a stream monster like me never understood what was associated with the sprite bottle. They had Daigo hold one of those with a can of pringles and mortons salt.

Joekage

Preciate the input guys. I think that I'll go ahead and set the macros off for now and try and practice that way, getting used to doing ultra and etc. Even though there are no arcades in Dallas, I can see myself going to one sometime and wanna learn to do it the way it's played in arcades. Multiple button presses is killing me though. The life of a training stick warrior continues.

DryEyeRelief said:
I'm surprised "Safeway Select" and to "body" someone isn't up there, but I guess they're too obvious.

Speaking of Seasons Beatings 4, a stream monster like me never understood what was associated with the sprite bottle. They had Daigo hold one of those with a can of pringles and mortons salt.
If scrub is up there, Safeway Select should be too. D:

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Oh yeah, Safeway Select, Flite, Free...those are some we're missing..what else?

Krispy means good execution I think..

lemon__fresh said:
51 seconds in.... I don't think that's regularly possible, pretty sure that someone messed with the game rules (PC).
I thought that too, but is it possible to do that and have an online match? What's to stop everyone from cheating then?!

Yoshichan

Yoshichan said:
Help! I can't seem to be able to get the space enough to do SHIT with Guile vs Zangief...

Help please!!
?

Top Bottom