• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Grifter

Timedog said:
They're active longer, but they have slower than average recovery.

Also what normals does he have that are + on block other than lp? I don't feel like he has any significant advantage in that area over other characters.

Let's see... IIRC, s.lk is active for a whopping 6 frames and his sweep and c.fp start up in 4 frames, which is just nutty.

arstal said:
I figured out what was making Ryu so so good online. Lag abuse combo of + on block normals that leave you in throw range.

Plenty of solutions to this, like getting a non-shitty netcode, adding blockstun, adding throw escape window. Hopefully Capcom implements one of these in Super- or I can see the game devolving into the same old.

i agree on everything. no wonder 80% of all players play him.

Corky said:
Oh god, playing random people online is torture, absolutely horrible online community.

99 out of a 100 times the ping is red, and 1 in 100 times you meet somebody with a good connection where 4 sceneraios play out

1. they wont even start the game
2. they start and are horrible/boring to play against
3. theyre good but they leave after 1 loss/win
4. they stay and play a long time <---- veeery rare

I wonder how the online is for blazblue, anybody here still play? Damn game hasnt come to yurop yet

yea, i gave it a try again, after taking a break from online bouts. nothing has changed.

Oichi said:
a-cho's SF4 National qualifer videos are up! Well, quarters and semi-finals are up. The grand finals should be up later. My very short write-up of it is here: http://www.versuscity.net/2010/01/31/sf4-national-qualifers-kansai-results/

video link: http://www.a-cho.com/ac/achomov.html

Everyone NEEDS to see 50 Yen's Fuerte OCV'ing a team of Sim/Rufus/Sagat. It was EPIC.

finished watching these videos. Holy cow, all these japanese players are just so precise and clean when they play and think really fast and make good decisions. God damn. They are all gooood.

And yeah, online sucks! It's hard for me to even walk and block on reaction when there's lag....so me trying to develop/learn my footsies online is becoming pointless. Online is all about the shenanigans.

Joekage

Oichi said:
a-cho's SF4 National qualifer videos are up! Well, quarters and semi-finals are up. The grand finals should be up later. My very short write-up of it is here: http://www.versuscity.net/2010/01/31/sf4-national-qualifers-kansai-results/

video link: http://www.a-cho.com/ac/achomov.html

Everyone NEEDS to see 50 Yen's Fuerte OCV'ing a team of Sim/Rufus/Sagat. It was EPIC.

Is it just me or is this page not working? The page loads fine, but I see no videos anywhere...just a bunch of japanese characters. Really wanna see this Bison player..

arstal said:
I figured out what was making Ryu so so good online. Lag abuse combo of + on block normals that leave you in throw range.

Plenty of solutions to this, like getting a non-shitty netcode, adding blockstun, adding throw escape window. Hopefully Capcom implements one of these in Super- or I can see the game devolving into the same old.

How do you feel about Barlawg then? He's waayy better than Ryu in the frame advantage department, I know because I abuse the shit out of it :p

The ones I mainly use are :
Far st. jab +5 on block, meaty near st. fierce anywhere from +2 to +4, cr. jab +4, cr. mk + 4

I love cr. mk, do it meaty and if you hit someone trying to wakeup throw, you can do cr. jab -> st. ja -> sweep after it. If it hits them crouching, you can get cr. jab -> cr. mp. And if they're blocking?!? Well I'm +4, something shitty is bound to happen to u :lol

Joekage said:
Is it just me or is this page not working? The page loads fine, but I see no videos anywhere...just a bunch of japanese characters. Really wanna see this Bison player..

Ahh, you gotta click on them characters dawg!

PhatSaqs

Banned
black_vegeta said:
That was some high level play Saqs. IFC Gief is beastly with them crispy links!

That FT10 was online right?
Yessir. Just got my haupage back so I was in the mood for some whoopins lol.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter said:
They're active longer (easier to keep them pinned in wakeup situations, esp. w/lag).

I have like 4 friends learning Viper and only like 1 of them can hit her basic (but hard) combos, like seismo, BK, ultra and fierce, feint, fierce. It's been months so now it actually annoys me when they miss it on me. Any tricks on her inputs?

For seismo, bk, ultra mid screen, you have to do a delayed sjc bk. Like, sjc into bk, but don't put the bk in until around the peak of Viper's jump. Otherwise the ultra will whiff.

For FFF, a lot of people get hung up on it because they do it too fast. The input is slower than it looks. When I was learning how to do it, I did it in pieces. Like I'd practice fierce into fierce feint until I could do it without thinking about it. Then I'd add the 2nd fierce. Then I'd add the ex seismo or medium knuckle. And so on.

See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkfYn6MFkkI

qcf x2

Grifter said:
I have like 4 friends learning Viper and only like 1 of them can hit her basic (but hard) combos, like seismo, BK, ultra and fierce, feint, fierce. It's been months so now it actually annoys me when they miss it on me. Any tricks on her inputs?

1. She's rhythmic, especially with the FFF. In minimal lag situations it is possible to hit confirm it (or at least choose whether to finish with seismo or BK). But yeah, there's a rhythm to it, and practicing that rhythm will lead to getting it down. The inputs should not be skipped or simplified (at least when I played SF4, I didn't simplify them). You literally have to do each of the inputs, but once you get the hang of fierce punch-->fierce feint, the rest of it is easy. Maybe suggest they do that.

2. When the air BK lands, ultra quickly. When the AA knuckle lands, ultra slowly (let them fall almost to the ground). Fire fast, lightning slow.

Aaaaaaand back to my cave I go!

So there was talk on srk about a bison ultra option select from chris hu's commentary in the A-N-D-R-E vs Daigo foney match. This is new to me. I'm gonna mess around with bison and fuerte for a few weeks and see what I can learn.
I hope I cn use bison st.rh like the proz.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Grifter said:
Let's see... IIRC, s.lk is active for a whopping 6 frames and his sweep and c.fp start up in 4 frames, which is just nutty.

cr. fp and cr. hk have some of, if not the worst recovery times in the game though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It wasn't until 2 months ago till I got Viper's stuff down. It took me forever to finally 100% do seismo, sjc, bk without fail. So satisfying. :D

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
FindMyFarms said:
Ryu's cr. fp and cr. rh have a faster startup, but more recovery frames than ken's. However, ryu's also have more total frames which makes them easier to whiff punish.

Not to mention Ken's cr. fp is absolute garbage like most his normals. Anything and everything will beat it, unless the opponent does an empty jump in. Sweep is almost useless too, can't punish with, can't poke, and can't combo with it in any way. Kinda reminds me of Dan's normals...how they all have atrocious start-up, but pretty decent hit stun.

edit: dementia beat me to it

FindMyFarms said:
Ryu's cr. fp and cr. rh have a faster startup, but more recovery frames than ken's. However, ryu's also have more total frames which makes them easier to whiff punish.

UGH! Dan's crouching fierce is the worst out of all three. It's ridiculous. Like Ken and Dan don't already have terrible specials, let's give 'em bad normals too (except for the godly forward + forward kick).

Is Saqs' youtube page just saqs? I'd like to see these videos.

Spiderjericho said:
UGH! Dan's crouching fierce is the worst out of all three. It's ridiculous. Like Ken and Dan don't already have terrible specials, let's give 'em bad normals too (except for the godly forward + forward kick).

It's a little troubling that these comparisons are being made with Dan, who was made out to be a joke character. 'Just shows how hard you have to work with Ken...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I've read an article on IPW about MMA and SF. Something came to mind that I remember BJ.Penn saying he was good at SF. I wonder how good. I was at UFC101 and those guys are so cool.

the_log_ride said:
It's a little troubling that these comparisons are being made with Dan, who was made out to be a joke character. 'Just shows how hard you have to work with Ken...

oh geez, ken's specials and normals is nowhere near as bad as Dan's. Not even in the same territory of crappiness.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nobody has a slower sweep than Viper. I keep using it without thinking and getting punished badly. Oh well. :lol

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
BotoxAgent said:
oh geez, ken's specials and normals is nowhere near as bad as Dan's. Not even in the same territory of crappiness.

Dan's standing Forward is pretty good to poke, and it's easy to string with a barrage of crouching Shorts. But yea, all of his punches are garbage, and standing Roundhouse.

As far as Ken goes, Standing Jab and Crouching Forward are alright. But compared to the crap factory that is Roundhouse, Target Combo, crouching or standing Strong, crouching or standing Fierce, there's no reason to use any of these moves unless they're going to hit. Close Roundhouse is good only if it hits too. The majority of his normals just don't come out fast enough, and don't cause enough blockstun to make them ever an option.

I mean...jesus christ, if I hit Zangief with a combo'd hurricane kick...it's a free SPD for him...ON FRIGGIN HIT. :lol But that's going into specials where a whole plethora of other problems also exist, but I digress.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
XenoRaven said:
Welcome to the world of Chun's cr. HP xx MK SBK! =D

=(

=( Indeed. I just can't wait to start using Dudley, hoping he'll have the blockstun of a greek god.

"Oh you like this standing Roundhouse...can't uppercut or mash jab huh? Welcome to my world of +15 on everything mothafucka! NO DIGNITY!" Maybe I should take this to the SSF4 thread now....lol

XenoRaven

LeMaximilian said:
=( Indeed. I just can't wait to start using Dudley, hoping he'll have the blockstun of a greek god.

"Oh you like this standing Roundhouse...can't uppercut or mash jab huh? Welcome to my world of +15 on everything mothafucka! NO DIGNITY!" Maybe I should take this to the SSF4 thread now....lol
Let's not kid ourselves.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Threi said:
you know who has an amazing sweep that isn't punishable at all?

Bison.

His cr. FP is also godlike.
oh yea, bisons cancel sweep into sweep all day, its a good thing it knocks down, otherwise it'd be an infinite.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
XenoRaven said:
Let's not kid ourselves.

I recently came from an evening of playing 3rd Strike and Alpha 2 with my friends. I forgot how that shit just doesn't work in older SF games. There used to be a ton of blockstun but very little hit stun. They were just getting rocked because they're used to all the shitty habits SF4 causes...

XenoRaven

LeMaximilian said:
I recently came from an evening of playing 3rd Strike and Alpha 2 with my friends. I forgot how that shit just doesn't work in older SF games. There used to be a ton of blockstun but very little hit stun. They were just getting rocked because they're used to all the shitty habits SF4 causes...
I've actually never mashed jab in my life. Is it literally you have a character with a quick jab or a dp and you just keep mashing the buttons while in block or hit stun in case someone drops a link?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
XenoRaven said:
I've actually never mashed jab in my life. Is it literally you have a character with a quick jab or a dp and you just keep mashing the buttons while in block or hit stun in case someone drops a link?

For SF4, absolutely. I can't think of any other conventional SF game that allows that including the SF2 series, Alpha series, SF3 series and CVS series. It's only for SF4 and it should be a bullet point on the back of the box.

XenoRaven

LeMaximilian said:
For SF4, absolutely. I can't think of any other conventional SF game that allows that including the SF2 series, Alpha series, SF3 series and CVS series. It's only for SF4 and it should be a bullet point on the back of the box.
Clearly this is the difference between me and tournament level players. I will have to add this to my game!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Joekage said:
had the same problem, you have to open it in a browser that sux. like IE.

at the bottom with the characters heading and the number 4 (heading below street fighter zero 3)

click on the middle column. it's an asx file, this didn't work in winamp for me, I saved it and opened it in windows media player, can see the vids.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
XenoRaven said:
Clearly this is the difference between me and tournament level players. I will have to add this to my game!

Rewarding players for getting beat with ultras, and adding barely any blockstun was a huge game changer for SF. Although, it was genius. The series was on a steady decline in sales ever since the SNES days because of its inaccessibility to casual players. Granted, the people who'd been playing SF for 15 years we're fine with games like 3s, but the majority of the audience shunned the hell out of that game for being so difficult. SF4 is great for tournament play, but there's some shallow shallow shit to this game sometimes...

"This is the Next Generation of Street Fighter! Ultra Combos to make your triumphant comeback!"

"Having trouble against the competition? Call our Capcom hotline at 800-MASH-OUT and we'll show you how to teach the pro's a lesson!"

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
XenoRaven said:
yea, but then i come around and intentionally drop a link, you shoryuken and i win.

Dr.Hadji

Ok this is really starting to bug me. Am I crazy or can people dodge my grabs my doing quick ducks? Face to face, I grab, they quickly duck and my grab whiffs. Eh?..

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Ok this is really starting to bug me. Am I crazy or can people dodge my grabs my doing quick ducks? Face to face, I grab, they quickly duck and my grab whiffs. Eh?..

When that happens it means you press grab too soon, before the character managed to get up the ground, so you whiff the grab. That is my understanding of this issue.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Pandaman said:
yea, but then i come around and intentionally drop a link, you shoryuken and i win.

But another occasion comes up where you could swear that link was crispy as chicken, and you still get mashed to hell...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
XenoRaven said:
Welcome to the world of Chun's cr. HP xx MK SBK! =D

=(

If you have EX meter charge another SBK while doing the MK and unleash an EX SBK at the end. usually people will try to attack you and give you free damage, it's also mostly safe on block

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
LeMaximilian said:
But another occasion comes up where you could swear that link was crispy as chicken, and you still get mashed to hell...
yep, but hey thats either online or your fault.

Top Bottom