• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

haunts said:
I'm having a small gathering tonight so I am going to put together a HAUNTS HQ VS THE WORLD stream later. I'll post it when it's live.

sweet, gonna watch this (hopefully, it doesn't start too late tho)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter said:
Watching Lost Fragment take my buddy to school right now...I need a tripod.

Shoulda told me beforehand that a friend of yours was working on the Viper matchup or I would've stuck with her. Thought you were just working on Balrog as an alt or something.

Man, I need to start punishing blocked headbutts and stuff harder. A lot of the time I default to c.mp -> m.tk because I know it'll hit. Also need to start using c.mp into sjc ultra more often.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Did anybody else order the Fightpad / TE from Madcatz with the free keychain promo? They sent me a fightpad, but no TE keychain. The keychain was the only reason I even bought the fightpad :( :(

I don't have time waiting around for tech support to get back from lunch so I sent them an email. Madcatz...

Joekage

GG's GalacticAE, My Rufus got your Akuma but man your Balrog was killing me. More like Lagrog haha. Gotta learn that matchup, although I know I pretty much have to get Rog in the corner or else I'm screwed.

SnowWolf said:
Did anybody else order the Fightpad / TE from Madcatz with the free keychain promo? They sent me a fightpad, but no TE keychain. The keychain was the only reason I even bought the fightpad :( :(

I don't have time waiting around for tech support to get back from lunch so I sent them an email. Madcatz...

MarkMan can maybe hook it up. He works for MadCatz...no, no, he is MadCatz.

Grifter

Lost Fragment said:
Shoulda told me beforehand that a friend of yours was working on the Viper matchup or I would've stuck with her. Thought you were just working on Balrog as an alt or something.

Man, I need to start punishing blocked headbutts and stuff harder. A lot of the time I default to c.mp -> m.tk because I know it'll hit. Also need to start using c.mp into sjc ultra more often.
Yeah, you get plenty of time to punish headbutts with c.hp seismo.

He's been working on his own Viper, he's okay with the vs. Viper matchup except that he was picking stuff up as he's still not sure how to approach her.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
AAAAAAARRRRGHHH! So, I got my stick Monday, and it was absolutely destroyed my shoto execution. I can't play Akuma at any level really because of my completely inconsistent Haduken and Srk. I can unconsciously bnb on a pad, now I can get the hp s.tatsu like 40% of the time, not to mention setting it up properly -_- I'm working at it but this is incredibly frustrating.

On the upside, my charge execution has improved almost immediately from the pad, and I'm considering picking up Balrog until my execution returns to the point where I can succeed with Akuma again.

SnowWolf said:

Yes, I've got my keychain.

imtehman

Banned
so how exactly do people train footsies anway?

and also, with fireball zoning is that just when you fireball far enough so that they cant jump kick you?

dragonballjoseph said:
Viper's last trial was easy to me by mapping x to lp+mp+hp. ^_^
I did not have patience to do it the right way. I should actually try it the right way one of these days.
And I'd say the hardest trial is Rufus' fifth simply because how dumb the link is.

And with no rhyme or reason, I just finished his. wtf. :lol

2 more to go.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
GG's Greg. I absolutely loathe Dhalsim, I find him so obnoxious to play against :lol Add to that I was using alts, my Akuma being a joke, having problems with Honda to get close, etc etc etc =P. Really hate that bastard.

Anyway, ggz :D

AZ Greg

Relix said:
GG's Greg. I absolutely loathe Dhalsim, I find him so obnoxious to play against :lol Add to that I was using alts, my Akuma being a joke, having problems with Honda to get close, etc etc etc =P. Really hate that bastard.

Anyway, ggz :D

I always feel like that annoying sniper player in an FPS when I pick Dhalsim. :lol But I'm enjoying his style. Still have a way to go with him though.

Maybe next time you can give me some more practice vs. your Chun. I really don't have much vs. her with my Sim. I was so pissed when I lost the one match you picked her. I had you dizzied in the final round and just had to use my super for the win. But I got cocky and tried to combo into it. Needless to say, I messed it up. :(

GGs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BotoxAgent said:
fighting dhalsim is a bit of bitch online, I have trouble reacting/FAing his limbs
Using Dhalsim is a bitch online too, since I gotta do a lot of stuff on reaction. It makes choosing the right anti-air frustrating when the opponent knows how to mix it up.

AZ Greg

BotoxAgent said:
fighting dhalsim is a bit of bitch online, I have trouble reacting/FAing his limbs

Yeah, but to be fair, I think it balances out with him being one of the harder characters to play as online. Dealing with various jump arcs (Normal jump arcs, Gen quick jump, Chun floaty jump, etc...) when combined with lag can make AA'ing tough. Hitting a far jumping opponent with s.HK can be somewhat difficult to do on reaction. Etc... And unfortunately for Dhalsim, lag induced botched zoning hurts a lot more than a limb poke. :(

Edit: Somewhat beaten by Rentahamster!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
AZ Greg said:
Yeah, but to be fair, I think it balances out with him being one of the harder characters to play as online. Dealing with various jump arcs (Normal jump arcs, Gen quick jump, Chun floaty jump, etc...) when combined with lag can make AA'ing tough. Hitting a far jumping opponent with s.HK can be somewhat difficult to do on reaction. Etc... And unfortunately for Dhalsim lag induced botched zoning hurts a lot more than a limb poke. :(
Yep. The risk/reward gets a bit out of whack online. For some chars, they messup, no biggie. Dhalsim counters with standing fierce or crouching jab (15dmg lol) or hopefully b.hp into EX flame. For Dhalsim, you mess up, if your opponent is good, prepare to eat a massive combo.

Guess we're going to have to wait until late to watch Haunts vs. the World. Guess I'll catch it on Saturday.

I was watching the FADC youtube channel and, MAN, does Andre sound salty. I guess he's a little down on the dictator versus the Sagat/Ryu/Gouki/Zangief etc.

point well taken Rent and AZ, I just meant that FA his limbs is hard for me to react to....but I know Dhalsim doesn't have it easy at all, esp. online. His upclose game sucks...and he has to zone really well, which hurts his games massively if there's lag.

As a Ken and Ryu player a good Dhalsim is a gigantic pain in the ass. It's so hard to get in on him with these two. I've played a number of matches against this PC Dhalsim player. He doesn't have great execution or hardly any combos either. But he's patient, has good spacing, and knows when to use the right normals. He has come back to beat me a number of times when I had a good life lead because he's content to just slowly chip away at my life.

Anyways in almost every round I win, it's almost always by time out or with 30 seconds or less remaining. If he's losing he'll only win the way he wants to because he won't make a desperate move to come back and win, even with time running out. Facing him is a fun challenge and at the same time fucking irritating as hell.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BotoxAgent said:
point well taken Rent and AZ, I just meant that FA his limbs is hard for me to react to....
I think one of the keys to fighting a Dhalsim IMO is to figure out the pattern he's using when he's throwing out limbs. I know that a lot of times I lose because I use a limb poking pattern that's too obviously the same every time. (e.g always yoga sniper after knockdown, always jump fierce when airborne, always fierce after standing short and strong, always fireball after standing fierce, etc.)

Once you can find that particular Dhalsim's pattern, you can pretty much FA or SRK on guess and have the outcome be in your favor most of the time. At which point the Dhalsim player has to stop those patterns and try to bait out your FAs or SRKs. On so on.

Like I mentioned earlier, he can't take too many risks like Rufus or Sagat since Dhalsim gets punished harder, and Dhalsim can't really do a lot of combo damage if he doesn't have super.

BotoxAgent said:
His upclose game sucks...
Nah, it's pretty good
against other Dhalsims lol .... :(

was playing on Player set to ON

this Zangief acused me of playing with Turbo ON.

I replied to him that I am using a PS2 Saturn Pad... no Turbo

he didnt believe me and got mad after 3 matches and left

I only use the HANDS like once or twice per round and I was using the jump UP HP, Hands against a Lariat happy Zangief

he did not rage he just kept on emailing me that I have turbo :S

GGs AZ Greg. Your dhalsim is very good, fighting your sim was really testing my patience and was getting in my head at times. But thank god for Nemo's option selects, those helped me out in starting my offense.

and your Vegas is still boss!! I wasn't in the Vega mindset at all, it was hard to adjust after like 30 or so Dhalsim matches :-(

I really wanted to whip out my Cammy in these matches but I felt like I was neglecting Chun Li a bit.

Rentahamster said:
I think one of the keys to fighting a Dhalsim IMO is to figure out the pattern he's using when he's throwing out limbs. I know that a lot of times I lose because I use a limb poking pattern that's too obviously the same every time. (e.g always yoga sniper after knockdown, always jump fierce when airborne, always fierce after standing short and strong, always fireball after standing fierce, etc.)

Once you can find that particular Dhalsim's pattern, you can pretty much FA or SRK on guess and have the outcome be in your favor most of the time. At which point the Dhalsim player has to stop those patterns and try to bait out your FAs or SRKs. On so on.

Like I mentioned earlier, he can't take too many risks like Rufus or Sagat since Dhalsim gets punished harder, and Dhalsim can't really do a lot of combo damage if he doesn't have super.

Nah, it's pretty good
against other Dhalsims lol .... :(

thanks for the advice man, will work on that :)

GG's Timedog, you pretty mutch made me learn how to footsy against Ryu on the spot. Good matches, though you had me worried that you downloaded me around match 5 :lol

So I've come to the conclusion that XBL does not know how to handle Dan. I usually get one match in and then they quit. My favorite is going against shotos who try to DP through Dan's stupid knee kick. They typically mistime it or expect me to stop doing it after the third time, and get knocked back on the ground. And I can't count the amount of times I've done a Level 3 focus into Ultra when my opponent's waking up over the past few days.:D

I <3 Dan.

Yo AZ Greg, when we play in the near future...do you want me to bring my Rog when you pick your Sim?

I feel since you're playing you're secondary, I 'll bring my Bison as my secondary.

-COOLIO- said:
the skin on my thumb has finally stopped pealing and toughened up

that took a whiiiile

You have now transitioned from a boy to a young man. Ideally, this happens from yard work or value inducing physical labor in your youth, but videogames are just as good.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Good games Greg. I need to think more when playing you. My normal mindless style doesn't seem to be effective. :lol

AZ Greg

BotoxAgent said:
GGs AZ Greg. Your dhalsim is very good, fighting your sim was really testing my patience and was getting in my head at times. But thank god for Nemo's option selects, those helped me out in starting my offense.

and your Vegas is still boss!! I wasn't in the Vega mindset at all, it was hard to adjust after like 30 or so Dhalsim matches :-(

I really wanted to whip out my Cammy in these matches but I felt like I was neglecting Chun Li a bit.

GGs.

I really started to get too aggressive towards the end and things started falling apart. Solid experience though.

I had a feeling facing Vega would be tough for you, but I wanted to warm up a little before facing Haunts and crew. I was so used to picking Dhalsim that I even accidentally picked him once during our Vega matches. :lol

black_vegeta said:
Yo AZ Greg, when we play in the near future...do you want me to bring my Rog when you pick your Sim?

I feel since you're playing you're secondary, I 'll bring my Bison as my secondary.

It's up to you. I could use the Rog practice though. :)

Timedog said:
Good games Greg. I need to think more when playing you. My normal mindless style doesn't seem to be effective. :lol

GGs.

Your style has actually really improved my Dhalsim's patience. You remind me of my buddy who'll get AA'ed like 4 times in a row but jump in a 5th. :lol Really keeps you on your toes.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
why is it that i just cleared ryu's hard trials in a few minutes on a whim but in a real fight i can't even like...consistently srk dudes who are jumping in

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
drohne said:
why is it that i just cleared ryu's hard trials in a few minutes on a whim but in a real fight i can't even like...consistently srk dudes who are jumping in

online + match dynamics. If you're CONSTANTLY thinking about AA'ing you'll probably be okay, but guys are mixing shit up to try and throw your mindset off.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ReiGun said:
Can someone give me some tips on the Chun v Elf match? It's the one match I can never figure anything out for. All that running throws me off completely.

I still have a difficult time against good Elf players. "Good" being the keyword, because I rarely run into them, and when I do I still feel like a good bit of my game is shut down, so I too would like some advice on this match-up and would like to play some of the awesome Elf players here.

Against your average Elf player, though, I find that it's best to just keep on the move, focus when able, and utilize a lot of standing/jumping pokes/throws...but you have to be constantly moving and try to be as "random" as Fuerte when you're doing it. Also remember that running Fuertes are suckers for well-timed ultras.

I just got done playing for a bit and met a Fuerte player in the finals of a championship set, and beat him just doing jumping straight-up HKs 99% of the time. :lol But he had a much lower amount of GP than I did and looked like he just came up from G3 or hadn't played in a long time.

Top Bottom