• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

AZ Greg said:
GGs eva. Love facing your and Max's Kens. That damn kara throw destroys me. I'm pretty horrible at just teching throws normally (BTW guys, is there some sorta technique to help with throw teching. I'm not sure if I should be mashing or if I should be guessing or what) so when you start mixing it in from different angles I get smoked. I'll take that though, just wish I had a move to keep you honest on your jump ins and block strings. :(

I am surprised by this since u like to abuse throw yourself :p I have to remember that I need to tech like crazy when I play you. And you manage to tech a lot of my throw attempts too.

I am usually good at teching throws when people mix it in from their block strings because my natural reaction is to crouch tech while they do their string, usually trying to follow the rhythm of their block string when I hit the throw button and not mash it because mashing isn't a safe tactic when they like to pause their strings and do a dp or something. But when someone like you that do it from Vega's forward kick or Sim's slide most of the time, my natural reaction is that I can do a reversal move and forget that you have frame advantage and I have to tech :-( I gotta remember to do that *cries*

robut said:
Does the east coast ever do live streams? I like watching the stuff haunts puts up and listening to magus talk shit but I've only ever seen links to youtube channels with Chris Hu on occasion here.
Yeah. FADC shows Battlefield Arcadia live. Their last stream was two weeks ago I believe. And yeah, like dementia said, Sanford always win.

And I think I may retire from being a Street Fighter 360 Thumbstick (don't understand how people use that pad) warrior due to the fact that 330 hours of doing short, short, short, scissors is screwing up my A button. So I may be ordering myself the TE Round 1 stick soon. And I'd rather buy a stick than an entirely new controller.

Aedile said:
Anyone know why Sabin doesn't play anymore (or does he)? I'm sure he could give Sanford's Sagat a run for his money.
Lately it seems Melty Blood/Arcana Heart > Poverty Fighter IV as far as Sabin is concerned.

I caught a Melty Blood Actress Again stream he was hosting a short while back.

Now that it's part of the Evo lineup it seems a lot of Westerners are taking notice. Honestly, MBAA looks like a fun game. I can see why it's always in the Arcadia top 10.

AZ Greg

BotoxAgent said:
I am surprised by this since u like to abuse throw yourself :p I have to remember that I need to tech like crazy when I play you. And you manage to tech a lot of my throw attempts too.

I'm actually not trying to abuse throw when I do the setup with df.HK (though the hate mail I sometimes get tends to disagree with that :lol). It's really all about keeping pressure on my opponent and keeping them somewhat passive as they worry about having to tech, baiting out a reversal by doing df.HK -> backflip, and, of course, setting up his bnb combos. The damage I get from throws that aren't teched is just a bonus.

AZ Greg said:
I'm actually not trying to abuse throw when I do the setup with df.HK (though the hate mail I sometimes get tends to disagree with that :lol). It's really all about keeping pressure on my opponent and keeping them somewhat passive as they worry about having to tech, baiting out a reversal by doing df.HK -> backflip, and, of course, setting up his bnb combos. The damage I get from throws that aren't teched is just a bonus.

it's a good tactic, that shit makes me nervous still :D

Damn im getting annoyed with SF4PC. I simply cant put AA on without it destroying the frame rate on my 5770 :S My brothers GT260 demolishes this game with maxed out AA (same specs otherwise). ATI suck for this game or something ?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i'm real, real tired of Ryu's crossup mk hitbox, and the fact that neutral jump mk, which is the same damn animation, does not cross up, and the fact that when I press it when both players are neutral jumping but the other player is slightly above me, it doesn't hit half the time??

Capcom needs to give us hitboxes in training mode so I know what the fuck is going on. I'm getting sick of Ryu online, I need a character where I can just mash safe and powerful footsies all day long.

I just came back from a beatdown. I played a guy named MaGinhumain on the PC version. I went 25-12 against him using Ken and Ryu against his Guile and Ryu, with me on the losing end of course. The guy has a pretty solid Ryu and Guile. Dude was like Daigo, he DP'd like almost every jump in attempt I made. He was even stuffing like most of the step kicks I threw with Ken.

All in all it was a good experience, I tried to adjust as best I could be I just have these bad habits that won't go away(like jumping in way too much). Besides that his footsies were just far superior to mine. He stayed on the ground with confidence and kept me guessing so I couldn't anti air most of his jump ins.

I guess without some tutoring or something I've already hit my peak. I remember when I use to own kakthinfected(goes by yish-something on GAF I think) 10-0 when we first started playing. Now we go even and if he continues, it won't be long until I'm on the one getting owned in these FT10's that we've had.

BTW Kak, I was playing MaG so I couldn't play you. Sorry for not responding, but I was in the middle of a match and then forgot about it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is there a way to make Balrog's ultra and super do more than 2 hits in the corner? My opponent always just flys over me.

Also, Balrog's BnB is pure bullshit. I don't think I've missed it even once out of like 40 tries. I can't remember a time when a Balrog missed that on me either. Are his jabs like +25 on hit?

was this posted yet?

mak_ibu.png

Timedog said:
Is there a way to make Balrog's ultra and super do more than 2 hits in the corner? My opponent always just flys over me.

Also, Balrog's BnB is pure bullshit. I don't think I've missed it even once out of like 40 tries. I can't remember a time when a Balrog missed that on me either. Are his jabs like +25 on hit?
Yes, you can do more than 2 hits with the ultra/super in fhe corner. You just have to time it right. The later you do the ultra/super, more of the chance all will hit. I assume this is after the headbutt...the inputs would be ppkkk or kpkkk. Like I said, you just have to activate the ultra almost at the last second for all the inputs to connect.

When we just played, I activated the ultra a little early a few times, causing me to sail right underneath you.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
I just came back from a beatdown. I played a guy named MaGinhumain on the PC version. I went 25-12 against him using Ken and Ryu against his Guile and Ryu, with me on the losing end of course. The guy has a pretty solid Ryu and Guile. Dude was like Daigo, he DP'd like almost every jump in attempt I made. He was even stuffing like most of the step kicks I threw with Ken.

All in all it was a good experience, I tried to adjust as best I could be I just have these bad habits that won't go away(like jumping in way too much). Besides that his footsies were just far superior to mine. He stayed on the ground with confidence and kept me guessing so I couldn't anti air most of his jump ins.

I guess without some tutoring or something I've already hit my peak. I remember when I use to own kakthinfected(goes by yish-something on GAF I think) 10-0 when we first started playing. Now we go even and if he continues, it won't be long until I'm on the one getting owned in these FT10's that we've had.

BTW Kak, I was playing MaG so I couldn't play you. Sorry for not responding, but I was in the middle of a match and then forgot about it.

No worries man.

I play that guy all the time (haven't played SF4 heavily for a few weeks now though). He always only picks Guile when he fights me (probably because I always pick Cammy) but he is pretty damn good. I've fought his Guile enough that I know all of his tricks and we usually end up about even now, but at first it was nearly impossible to approach him, let alone beat him.

Timedog said:
I'm assuming you mean after the headbutt. For the ultra, it's kick, punch, kick, kick, kick. I think it's the same for the super as well.

And I fought this crazy Gouken player earlier. He got me in this crazy combo and dizzied me. I had perfect health at the time and he had like, 5% left. Twas crazy times.

NeoUltima

fuckin lariat spamming giefs think they good. all they can do is green hand and lariat, even if they get it a position to pile drive or w/e they still lariat.

(i've been using Abel alot, hence gief annoys me)

You can only land 4 out of 5 super hits w/ rog. AFter headbutt, wait til they're waist level then just do it and hold kicks. He'll hit the first 3, whiff the 4th, then hit the last.

W/ ultra, easiest way to land is to do ppkkk. It works on almost all characters, whereas in the corner kpkkk sometimes shoves them over balrogs head leaving you in the corner. If they're really low to the ground though then you def. want to do kpkkk.

NeoUltima said:
fuckin lariat spamming giefs think they good. all they can do is green hand and lariat, even if they get it a position to pile drive or w/e they still lariat.

if all they do is spam lariat, use standing MP at max range to stuff it

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why is it that when I can't play someone due to "the room is already full" or "Unable to play", the game makes me search all over again instead of letting me go back to the previous search list and trying some other person...

Been bugging me ever since release but I was never irked by it as much as I have been today.

Aedile

Rice-Eater said:

Yeah, I lose to him pretty regularly, but I lose to most competent Guiles online pretty regularly. Can't jump in against them, and unless you have a lenient means of blowing through projectiles, all that's available is punishing on reaction or focusing through them, which is something I'm completely unable to do against online, and which isn't safe anyway. Was your problem getting in or doing sufficient damage when you got there? Two different problems with two different solutions.

How many characters did you try before you settled on the shotos? Could be that your strengths and weaknesses point you in a different optimal direction. I spent months playing characters that didn't agree with my abilities, such as they are: good mixups, good mind games, good ability to gauge poke ranges on the fly, atrocious execution, slow reflexes, dislike of repetitive motions. When I tried to match my abilities to characters from the roster, I found myself doing better with ostensibly weaker characters because playing them felt more natural.

Don't know if you do or not, but I'd also avoid playing randoms on PC. Their terribleness gave me all sorts of bad habits that led me to being beaten pretty thoroughly by garden-variety G1 competition on PS3, let alone by competent players (I went 1-19 vs Iggywhite's Sagat a few days ago).

Aedile said:
Yeah, I lose to him pretty regularly, but I lose to most competent Guiles online pretty regularly. Can't jump in against them, and unless you have a lenient means of blowing through projectiles, all that's available is punishing on reaction or focusing through them, which is something I'm completely unable to do against online, and which isn't safe anyway. Was your problem getting in or doing sufficient damage when you got there? Two different problems with two different solutions.

Guile throws a LP sonic boom, walk forward and block. He throws a fast one, jump over it. Either way just walk forward and block a lot. You can block SB's a whole round and jab him once to get even.

Once you get close, have at him. Unless you're playing Dagger G, that strategy is good enough to beat pretty much any guile out there.

picked up a new MvC2 TE stick today, it was a massive impulse buy, couldn't say no for $99.

i just modded my SE a few weeks ago too :D

this stick cost me heavy rain and FF13........and i don't care 1 bit.....:lol

edit: out of sheer boredom, i am #42 in posts in this thread, 262, man.....i remember my first 100 posts on gaf were all in this thread......memories......

Rentahamster said:
Why is it that when I can't play someone due to "the room is already full" or "Unable to play", the game makes me search all over again instead of letting me go back to the previous search list and trying some other person...

Been bugging me ever since release but I was never irked by it as much as I have been today.
Protip: In the main menu set up your match making settings and just play arcade mode.
The matches will come to YOU. You set it and forget it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
donkey show said:
I don't know if this has been posted before, but considering this thread moves so fast, I figured it'd be interesting to post this especially if you're having problems with links.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/feb/21/sf4-game-assistance-link-combos/

Nice of Ono to provide such subtle touches. :D

EDIT: Apparently, it's more of a visual thing than an actual indicator since the pulse flows at a constant speed regardless of hit stun, etc. Yet it can be used as another visual clue in helping in your timing and moving on from there.

whoa, looking through the old posts in this thread is hella useful

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OmnipotentO said:
Protip: In the main menu set up your match making settings and just play arcade mode.
The matches will come to YOU. You set it and forget it.
Yeah, I know. I do that most of the time, but sometimes I like playing on the 2P side. It's still a poor way to implement matchmaking, though.

I really hope they implement player request while in training mode for Super.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I am playing like a jerk tonight. haha

Anyone up for games? I got a component switcher so I can go back and forth between systems now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
FindMyFarms said:
Sooo, Dhalsim's j. short crosses up. Did anyone know that lol??
Oh wait a sec, I thought you had said jumping jab. His jumping forward crosses up, not short.

edit: oh wait maybe short does, too although I think forward is a little better at it.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
man this is fuckin sweet. this guile from like 2 weeks ago dizzied me and tuanted me and promted that question "what do I do against guile?". I ran into this guy 3 times tonight online and beat him every time. haha. One was a time out too with a sliver of health.

I BEEN EATIN MY GORTONS

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
NeoUltima said:

Depending on what character you might be able to jump kick his lariat, with guile you can hit him well over the head each time he goes into lariat (jumping strong kick)... funny seing them tto lariat again and going down once more ... :)

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
FindMyFarms said:
Well then someone play me ft10 on psn :(

How is online on ps3? Still many people playing? Was thinking of getting super on it, so hopefully the game has long legs online. On pc its always a gamble... a few people in ranking, some in custom and very difficult to find anyone in g1 competition matches :( ...

Lourio

Been on a SF4 hiatus but Im' back - and I stink. I have something like a 23% winning rate but that's okay. :lol

Lourio on PSN, add me if you'd like - I need the beatings and the practice. I'm in the east, I'll be on later tonight..

Been maining mostly Abel and Blanka as of late.

Help me get better GAF!

man, I fought like 5 blankas in a row last night. Most of them were good as hell, those mixups! I gave all of them a good beating though. I don't have trouble against blankas anymore, but online they can be a force to be reckoned with it.

Top Bottom