• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Can I get a hug from my SF4 bros & sisters; I just finished all the hard trials. Abel was the last one I completed, now I can take a little mini-break until SSF4 drops...

Imm0rt4l

MIMIC said:
So apparently Gouken's EX air flip thingy goes right through Fuerte's EX leg throw.

Balls -_-
It's goukens get out of dodge move. Speaking of this matchup, I played possibly the best fuerte I've ever played on psn last night named whooisodis or something like that. Guy was RSFing like no tomorrow, normally it's a hard ass match up for gouken since he has such shitty options on wake up, but I went about 1-1 with him.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my god what is UP with Akumas randomness?

I'm trying to reset my opponent after light tatsu with mp but it only works 20% of the times and I'm not noticing any difference in my timing when I succeed. Wtf is going on.

Is the online for xbl borked right now? I don't get my little icon in the middle of the screen when going to arcade and I can't make an online lobby.

robut said:
Is the online for xbl borked right now? I don't get my little icon in the middle of the screen when going to arcade and I can't make an online lobby.

I think it is right now, I can't sign into my account on live.com, it's saying the servers are too busy. Must be NPD day at MS.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
the_log_ride said:
Can I get a hug from my SF4 bros & sisters; I just finished all the hard trials. Abel was the last one I completed, now I can take a little mini-break until SSF4 drops...
*hug*

i just finished the viper easy trails, may not sound like much but it took MONTHS

Yoshichan said:
Oh my god what is UP with Akumas randomness?

I'm trying to reset my opponent after light tatsu with mp but it only works 20% of the times and I'm not noticing any difference in my timing when I succeed. Wtf is going on.

It's just a tight link, no randomness. You're using CR. mp right? If you wanna forgo some damage, you can just use cr. lp. It's a lot easier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FindMyFarms said:
It's just a tight link, no randomness. You're using CR. mp right? If you wanna forgo some damage, you can just use cr. lp. It's a lot easier.
Cr.lp works?! Thanks man! :D

Yoshichan said:
Cr.lp works?! Thanks man! :D

Are you doing this after a grounded or crossup tatsu? If you do a cross up tatsu, cr. mp is really easy and you can cancel that into demon flip for some phat shenanigans. Also w/ cross up tatsu, if you do cr. lp instead, you have enough recovery time to do another crossup tatsu.

AZ Greg

UC1 said:
It's -2 for all version except HK which is -3. Generally you can't punish it, you have to interrupt it with an anti-air, or FA absorb it (only on the way down! EX is 2 hit, block the first hit, watch out for reversals). Claw has good dashes, so if you FA, absorb, dash cancel, then throw or some other high priority attack, you should hit him. Otherwise you might be able to let the FA go and hit or crumple. Maybe FA backdash and MK as the safest option? Or try flipping the last hit, that might work...

Ronabo said:
I ran into this one Vega player that used the back flip move to avoid a headbutt attempt and then would throw immediately afterwards. I could never tech the throw and it worked everytime. It drove me crazy. I couldn't beat him during the half dozen matches we did.

Wow, I'm an idiot. For some reason I always though his butt smash move was 2 hits regardless if it were EX or not. Thinking that always had me playing extra timidly.

And KKK flipping through Honda's headbutt is brilliant. Can't believe I didn't think to do that. Can even punish with a df.HK combo depending on the headbutt used and the spacing. :D Standing HK also stuffs headbutt, but I can't see that being too reliable online unless the Honda is throwing headbutts from full screen.

Thanks guys!

MIMIC

Banned
the_log_ride said:

*HUG*

Which trial did you think was the hardest? Out of them all, Ken's #5 was killing me cuz I could never get that air hurricane kick to connect.

19940_307466494159_102204949159_3547534_2014594_n.jpg

:lol

Kimosabae said:
Is it always difficult to find a Quick Match in Championship Mode?

And where does one find the replays?
Quick matches work just fine for me, but I get faster connects by creating a match.
And you can find replays in the leaderboards tab.

Kimosabae

Banned
dragonballjoseph said:
Quick matches work just fine for me, but I get faster connects by creating a match.
And you can find replays in the leaderboards tab.

Thanks.

When I search for games there's like, 2 or 3 people consistently hosting. I'm like WTF.

MIMIC said:
*HUG*

Which trial did you think was the hardest? Out of them all, Ken's #5 was killing me cuz I could never get that air hurricane kick to connect.

I actually thought Ken's 5 was pretty fun, compared to 4...

Toughest/Most annoying is for me was a tie b/w Gen & Abels #5s...

I felt like I was mashing and praying on Gen's, and for the life of me, Abel's link from F+MK to St.HP is just the bane of my existence.

Kimosabae said:
Meant to post this here:

Who's considered best Ken right now?

Hmm an interesting question, since beyond the orignal flare up where every scrub on earth was using him *until they found out that Ryu is better for n00bs* his usage has died a lot. There are some Ken players out there that I would consider good but who is the best? Well hard to tell since I am not aware of people even bothering to use him in a tourny.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Damdai uses him in tourneys all the time though I think he switched to Ryu.

Kimosabae said:
Meant to post this here:

Who's considered best Ken right now?

America: The most well known and probably considered the best is Dr. Chaos. He has been to many tourneys both big and small and placed high several times. Our own Maximilian is pretty good himself but he doesn't participate in many(or any?) tourneys so it may not be fair to list him even if he belongs there.

Japan: Wao, Ichi, Dragon Boy all come to mind. Wao and Dragon Boy have pretty high BP and win percentages. Ichi on the hand is pretty good with Ken but I think he's actually better with Ryu, his secondary character who he plays a lot also.

chriskun

AZ Greg said:
I need your help GAF Honda players. As a Vega player, I'm trying to figure out if I'm approaching this match wrong or if it is just a horrible matchup for Vega. What, if anything, do Vega players do to give you trouble?

I'm getting owned by Hondas who just spam headbutt and then spam that rising butt smash move once they are in close. I can punish the Honda headbutt with standing MK on block, but the chip damage from the headbutt almost does the same damage as my punish. I can also punish a non-ex headbutt with ex barcelona attack but the damage isn't much against Honda and because I have to be careful approaching him I don't build meter like I do against most other characters. I'm even more lost against the rising butt smash move. Does anyone know the frame numbers for Honda when that move is blocked both on the way up and the way down? It feels like I can't punish it at all as they'll immediately do another one or an ex version once they land. There's probably a general way to approach dealing with this move but I don't know it. :(

This matchup makes me love the Shoto/Sagat players as they seem to keep the Honda population in check. :D
I play honda and I have alot of trouble with vega actually. You can punish his mp/hp headbutt on block with slide, or all sorts of other shit. Also, either vega's jumping fierce or roundhouse beat out all of hondas headbutts with the exception of ex I believe. Many Hondas don't know this but belly flop beats out Barcelona dive, so throw out a couple of those at him and see how he reacts. Backflip to avoid hb and splash is a good idea, but don't abuse it too much, a smart honda will delay his hb and punish you with that shit.

Ordered a copy of SF20: Art of Street Fighter today. I'm pretty excited for it to come. I was pretty happy with Eternal Cahllenge, Capcom Design Works, and Udon's Art of Capcom. I go through them every once in a while and get inspired to draw some SF or something. I only wish I could've gotten a hold of a hard cover print like my other Udon books. There's supposed to be a Street Fighter history book coming out next month too. I'll probably pick that up as well.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I got this game yesterday and have been playing it tonight. I am really terrible, no really terrible.

I'd tell you my online stats, but you wouldn't even find it funny, you'd find it pathetic.

XenoRaven

GalacticAE said:
Ordered a copy of SF20: Art of Street Fighter today. I'm pretty excited for it to come. I was pretty happy with Eternal Cahllenge, Capcom Design Works, and Udon's Art of Capcom. I go through them every once in a while and get inspired to draw some SF or something. I only wish I could've gotten a hold of a hard cover print like my other Udon books. There's supposed to be a Street Fighter history book coming out next month too. I'll probably pick that up as well.
You only bought it for the Chun-Li/Mai pic didn't you.

Trick_GSF said:
I got this game yesterday and have been playing it tonight. I am really terrible, no really terrible.

I'd tell you my online stats, but you wouldn't even find it funny, you'd find it pathetic.

Gotta start somewhere...

CPS2

the_log_ride said:
I watched this vid and part 2 as well. There're some pretty damn interesting setups. The Dan combos are hilarious... EX-Gadouken x4, Ultra on E. Honda :lol

Yeah Dan is weird, his fireball looks crappy but has so much frame advantage, not a bad move really.

AZ Greg

chriskun said:
I play honda and I have alot of trouble with vega actually. You can punish his mp/hp headbutt on block with slide, or all sorts of other shit. Also, either vega's jumping fierce or roundhouse beat out all of hondas headbutts with the exception of ex I believe. Many Hondas don't know this but belly flop beats out Barcelona dive, so throw out a couple of those at him and see how he reacts. Backflip to avoid hb and splash is a good idea, but don't abuse it too much, a smart honda will delay his hb and punish you with that shit.

Yeah, I had noticed that a slide punish works sometimes. But it seems to be a more specific condition than just MP/HP headbutt since sometimes I know a Honda will have used one of those but they'll still have time to block the slide.

GGs eva. Love facing your and Max's Kens. That damn kara throw destroys me. I'm pretty horrible at just teching throws normally (BTW guys, is there some sorta technique to help with throw teching. I'm not sure if I should be mashing or if I should be guessing or what) so when you start mixing it in from different angles I get smoked. I'll take that though, just wish I had a move to keep you honest on your jump ins and block strings. :(

XenoRaven said:
You only bought it for the Chun-Li/Mai pic didn't you.

Yes, this was the main selling point for me.
----

I thought Mickey D was dying of something a few years ago. Glad to see he's doing ok and helping out his scene.

eva01

GGs AZ Greg you kept getting me with that ex combo that throws me up in the air after a hit.

As far as teching a throw I don't recommend mashing it thru a block string. I'm still trying to learn how to tech throws myself. I think you just need to pay attention to the block string and get ready to throw after it instead of mashing attacks thru it.

Ken's option select throw is pretty good crouch lk + lp and helps with teching.

AZ Greg said:
GGs.

The hazanshu rushdown was getting me pretty good there in the end. It was good practice though. I really need to be in the air and teleport more. And the arms actually work pretty good against her. The only time you would really punish them is when I was getting predictable and always hitting fierce after I'd knock you back with Dhalsim's knee AA.

The one thing that was making me mad was that you were able to jump around as much much as you wanted almost for free. Does Chun's jumping HK always trade with Dhalsim's knee AA? Or was it just always trading due to our connection? Early on you had a pretty predictable pattern where you'd focus, dash forward, and then jump in. Even knowing it was coming at best I would get a trade. :(
I think it might depend on the angle when you try to anti-air it. Sometimes I got it to work (can't remember if it traded or not), but a lot of the time she will beat it clean anyways. Think you might have an easier time countering Chun-Li's kick with Dhalsim's medium punch anti-air, but it's been a long while since I've last played so don't be surprised if I'm wrong.

But yeah, the most annoying thing about Chun-Li is that she generally has better priority than Dhalsim from what I can tell. Can't even punish her fireballs with his fierce punch like you can against shoto's or even Sagat, because the fireball usually won whenever I did it and there were very little trades to be had. Granted: there might be something I've missed (like the timing) since I'm not exactly well-versed in the Chun-Li vs Dhalsim match-up, but she's a pain nonetheless.

Yoshichan

What's the point of going to standing lp in a combo with Ken?

For example:

cr. lp xx standing lp xx cr lp

instead of just

cr. lp xx cr.lp xx cr.lp

Edit - Needed to ask this after have seen tons of Maximillian videos :D

CPS2

Yoshichan said:
What's the point of going to standing lp in a combo with Ken?

For example:

cr. lp xx standing lp xx cr lp

instead of just

cr. lp xx cr.lp xx cr.lp

Edit - Needed to ask this after have seen tons of Maximillian videos :D

Not sure about the combos you listed, but standing LP gives an extra 2 frame window to link into something else, usually crouching MK.

Does the east coast ever do live streams? I like watching the stuff haunts puts up and listening to magus talk shit but I've only ever seen links to youtube channels with Chris Hu on occasion here.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
UC1 said:
Not sure about the combos you listed, but standing LP gives an extra 2 frame window to link into something else, usually crouching MK.

Exactly what UC1 said. Comboing the Cr. Forward after the standing Jab is just easier than Cr. Jab with Ken.

Top Bottom