• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Stupid question:

If I want to play online on the PC version, do I need to pay for XBL Gold or whatever?

fresquito

Yoshichan said:
Stupid question:

If I want to play online on the PC version, do I need to pay for XBL Gold or whatever?
No. The game comes with GFWL. You have to install it manually though (you'll find it in the folder).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fresquito said:
No. The game comes with GFWL. You have to install it manually though (you'll find it in the folder).
Thank you :D Is it playable? Do we fight against 360 users too?

Yoshichan

fresquito said:
Of course it's playable. I don't understand what you mean, really. You'll only play against PC people.
I meant if it's as much of a disaster as playing PSN where 90% of the games are unplayable :eek:

fresquito

Most games I've played have been fine. One thing that is bothering (on the low levels anyway) is that you may find people which framerate in't fixed and the whole fight will go in slow motion.

But 90% fights have been pretty good. I won't complain. Online has been pretty competent on my end.

I'm a proud
ashamed
pad warrior and I mostly use Ryu and Sagat (original I know) on top of a bunch of other chars. Love SF4, been playing forever, took a break a month or two ago and now back in the fold due to the SSF4 hype train. As such figured I'd try some new characters.

Anyway, never thought to ask but who is considered the best character execution wise for a pad player? IE doesn't require really tight links, not crazy execution heavy etc? I would guess Gief but is there someone else I should try? Thanks.

KuroNeeko

Nothing takes the (SSFIV) hype outta your sails like losing for an hour straight in G3.

*sigh*

Dreams of playing with Ibuki are so far away... ;.;

Sir Garbageman said:
Anyway, never thought to ask but who is considered the best character execution wise for a pad player? IE doesn't require really tight links, not crazy execution heavy etc? I would guess Gief but is there someone else I should try? Thanks.

Gouken and Blanka would fit into that. They both don't have many combos. Abel would fit as well... Though in higher level, he has a lot of setups and mixups that require some strict timing.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if you have pad... As long as YOU like it. Shine (a Gouken player) did pretty well in a tournament with a pad and QisTopTier (Seth) plays with a pad and he destroys me. And Seth has pretty heavy execution compared to a lot of the cast.

Sir Garbageman said:
I'm a proud
ashamed
pad warrior and I mostly use Ryu and Sagat (original I know) on top of a bunch of other chars. Love SF4, been playing forever, took a break a month or two ago and now back in the fold due to the SSF4 hype train. As such figured I'd try some new characters.

guile

Sir Garbageman said:
Bison.
I actually chose Bison because of this when I first got the game.

dragonballjoseph said:
Bison.
I actually chose Bison because of this when I first got the game.

Well as long as you can do cr lp *2 -> cr lk/cr mk XX scissors as your block string combo consistently you should be fine since just mashing out cr lk on block will not combo. Having said that most people don't even realize that blocked cr lk *2/3 doesn't combo or even know much about dealing with bison besides knowing how to avoid headstomp.

Sir Garbageman said:
Thanks guys. Been looking to hop off the shoto bandwagon so I'll give these characters a whirl later and see who clicks. I've used Dicator a little and had some success so I'll start off with him.

Honestly, unless you're planning to play in hawt ass tourneys and have perfect execution landin 1-frames all the time, then you can play any character at a casual to intermediate level on pad.

Rufus however is REALLY easy on pad, which is the reason Wong mained him originally. Gamestop tourney was pad only in the opening stages, and Justin thought Rufus was mad easy on pad. The week after regionals, he used Rufus (on stick though) at Final Round, won, and just stuck with him.

What you should be asking yourself is what kind of character do you like to play? What style feels comfortable and natural to you?

FindMyFarms said:
Honestly, unless you're planning to play in hawt ass tourneys and have perfect execution landin 1-frames all the time, then you can play any character at a casual to intermediate level on pad.

Rufus however is REALLY easy on pad, which is the reason Wong mained him originally. Gamestop tourney was pad only in the opening stages, and Justin thought Rufus was mad easy on pad. The week after regionals, he used Rufus (on stick though) at Final Round, won, and just stuck with him.

What you should be asking yourself is what kind of character do you like to play? What style feels comfortable and natural to you?

Rufus could be fun, didn't realize he was considered easy with regards to execution. Always wanted to give him a "serious" try due to his more offensive, in your face style. My execution is decent, like I mentioned earlier I've traditionally stuck with Ryu and Sagat and I can nail their bnbs, FADC to ultra etc pretty regularly.

I've always used shoto type characters since the SF2 days so that's what I stuck with in SF4. Looking to branch out a little. I traditionally stick with more "balanced" type characters in fighting games more than anything else. Usually prefer qcf chars as opposed to charge chars.

Either way need to get my game up for SSF4. Thanks again guys.

Sir Garbageman said:
Rufus could be fun, didn't realize he was considered easy with regards to execution. Always wanted to give him a "serious" try due to his more offensive, in your face style. My execution is decent, like I mentioned earlier I've traditionally stuck with Ryu and Sagat and I can nail their bnbs, FADC to ultra etc pretty regularly.

I've always used shoto type characters since the SF2 days so that's what I stuck with in SF4. Looking to branch out a little. I traditionally stick with more "balanced" type characters in fighting games more than anything else.

Either way need to get my game up for SSF4. Thanks again guys.

Oh yeah if you can do all that stuff with ryu/sagat you'll be just fine with Rufus.

FindMyFarms said:
Oh yeah if you can do all that stuff with ryu/sagat you'll be just fine with Rufus.

And if you can do that, you'll be fine with Abel too... I think it boils down to what kind of style you like. Do you like rushdown/zoning/etc etc...

I mean, as long as it's not Viper or something, I'd think you'd be okay.

edit: Is that why Wong mained Rufus originally? I vaguely remember him saying that he chose Rufus one time thinking he was a joke character but found out that he was actually pretty good and decided to main him...

Prototype-03 said:
And if you can do that, you'll be fine with Abel too... I think it boils down to what kind of style you like. Do you like rushdown/zoning/etc etc...

I mean, as long as it's not Viper or something, I'd think you'd be okay.

Let's play

Pctx

Banned
Alright--- I need some of you vets to test me out...

PSN: Pctx | PST West Coast

I went 12/5 earlier this morning gaining almost 450 cp in about 50 minutes or so. I finally DMZ'ed my PS3 and my connections... are now... magical!

Main right now is Guile... seemingly the crowd out there now is getting easier, but I'd like to play against some of you guys.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Damn, I had only taken a week or so vacation from playing the game and I still feel rusty as fuck.

GGs AZ Greg. Dunno what was up with the lag at the beginning though. I know our connection usually isn't the best, but it was borderline unplayable at the beginning. Eventually got better though.

AZ Greg

Lost Fragment said:
Damn, I had only taken a week or so vacation from playing the game and I still feel rusty as fuck.

GGs AZ Greg. Dunno what was up with the lag at the beginning though. I know our connection usually isn't the best, but it was borderline unplayable at the beginning. Eventually got better though.

GGs.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'd love to but my thunder thighs are forever moving, not even a man with an iron fist can hammer these seismos down.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
I'd love to but my thunder thighs are forever moving, not even a man with an iron fist can hammer these seismos down.

I'll iron fist you all right.

lol, that was pretty good. I give up, you win again.

Inner thighs <3

---

(Hey NeoGAF, you guys must think I'm a terrible person who is only here to post/flirt with kadey... but what you don't know is... ah fuck SFIV, hi kadey.)

haha

---

*random picture of a stick

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Anyone have any good training regimens to get me to learn how to use Focus Attacks? I get destroyed by people who can focus effectively and I still have no clue how/where to use it.

I'mma be on in like 20 on xbl after I eat this damn pizza. XBL = Chickeny Dinner.

I'll eat as much pizza as I damn well please!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GG's gibration. My execution with Ryu was piss poor tonight. My play with Balrog was piss poor cause I started playing him I think yesterday :lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
4290447337_5077f411cb_b.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
Mine will be divine.

I wanna buy some parts but I don't want to order or wait for it. ##@$%!#!

What do you have planned for your stick?

Show me!

I'll show you my stick.

As weird as this may sound, I don't really have my own custom TE stick that I use. D:

Hey everyone, Argonik, the tournament organizer of Absolute Battle is starting up a website that will be the central hub of the Dallas Tx fighting game scene.

http://www.digitalko.net/

It JUST opened up a day ago, so there's not too much content, but with more tournaments and events coming up, it will definitely be beefier. Expect streams, videos of previous matches, video game podcasts (not just limited to fighting games) and various articles to come up.

Top Bottom