• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Aedile said:
How many characters did you try before you settled on the shotos? Could be that your strengths and weaknesses point you in a different optimal direction. I spent months playing characters that didn't agree with my abilities, such as they are: good mixups, good mind games, good ability to gauge poke ranges on the fly, atrocious execution, slow reflexes, dislike of repetitive motions. When I tried to match my abilities to characters from the roster, I found myself doing better with ostensibly weaker characters because playing them felt more natural.

Well for me personally I've always been a Ryu/Shoto player. They feel so natural to me and I've never really put in time to learn other characters. I started SF4 playing Ryu almost exclusively since he's my favorite character and will probably always be my main in any SF game I play.

After about 6 months though I gave Akuma/Ken a shot and I found myself doing a lot better with Ken. Akuma has a more difficult learning curve where as Ken's style(rushdown) actually suits me the most out of all the shoto's. I love doing his fierce DP vortex. It's not a advance tactic by any means but it's fun to do against random online players.

Anyways I've actually put in time to learn new characters but I find it really difficult. I've grown up only knowing how to play Shoto's and anything else just feels so alien to me. I can't even play similar characters like Sagat. And I'm not a fan of charge characters either so I'm glad to see that most of the new character in SSF4 is a non-charge character. Hopefully I can pick up one of the new characters like Dudley or Cody. I'll always be a Shoto at heart, but it'd be nice to change things up.

Timedog said:
Time to switch 2 boxer. Ryu suxxx.

Oh so you thought you could just leave the Ryu army and we'd cool and all huh, yeah right bitch. FT10 when you're Rog is ready. You're going to pay for turning your back on the curly Metsu.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
I want to change characters but Ken is breaking my heart without his wacky legs.
Convert to psycho.

On another note, I've been landing a lot of ultra combo finishes with my Dan lately. I also like to troll a bit by having a super meter most of the time. So when that last round comes, I just focus and wait for them to do something stupid, so I can Legendary Taunt into Ultra. It's caused me to lose some fights, but it's worth it. :D
And on that note, I must say that Dan's focus attack is godlike.

Rice-Eater said:
Well for me personally I've always been a Ryu/Shoto player. They feel so natural to me and I've never really put in time to learn other characters. I started SF4 playing Ryu almost exclusively since he's my favorite character and will probably always be my main in any SF game I play.

After about 6 months though I gave Akuma/Ken a shot and I found myself doing a lot better with Ken. Akuma has a more difficult learning curve where as Ken's style(rushdown) actually suits me the most out of all the shoto's. I love doing his fierce DP vortex. It's not a advance tactic by any means but it's fun to do against random online players.

Anyways I've actually put in time to learn new characters but I find it really difficult. I've grown up only knowing how to play Shoto's and anything else just feels so alien to me. I can't even play similar characters like Sagat. And I'm not a fan of charge characters either so I'm glad to see that most of the new character in SSF4 is a non-charge character. Hopefully I can pick up one of the new characters like Dudley or Cody. I'll always be a Shoto at heart, but it'd be nice to change things up.
'cept DeeJay

rocK`

Banned
black_vegeta said:
You don't abandon the character, they abandon you for your extreme scrubiness.

oOOoOoOOoOOO

I'm abandoning Rufus. and by abandon, I mean, he's a great character, but I'm going back to my roots (Dudley).

Threi

notag
black_vegeta said:
Hows your bison coming along? ;)

anyways whoever I click with will be my main, but its most likely gunna be DeeJay. Maybe I should just cave in and choose a motion char though because Capcom seems to not want to do charge chars any favors (well aside from pokepokepoke chun).

Kccitystar

black_vegeta said:

I hope that they buff Rose in SSFIV but fuck why didn't they give her the Soul Illusion combo from Alpha 3 :((((((((((

I've always mained Ken since SF2 but he's fallen to my #3 character, behind Zangief. I just have this feeling like Rose won't be buffed in the way that the guys on SRK want her to be. Not ridiculously beefed up but at least a modest little boost to make her a more viable character.

There's a chance I'll main Cody and Dudley in the new one though

Imm0rt4l said:
ggs Farms, pitiful 2nd set on my part though.

GG's man. I think you were thinkin a little too hard. Your mindset has to be, "fuck it, imma just walk forward and do some phat combos, who cares if i get hit."

Also, lame gief :lol

FindMyFarms said:
GG's man. I think you were thinkin a little too hard. Your mindset has to be, "fuck it, imma just walk forward and do some phat combos, who cares if i get hit."

Hey Farms, you up for some games tonight? I haven't played in a while... Plus BBCS is not out yet =(

Prototype-03 said:
Hey Farms, you up for some games tonight? I haven't played in a while... Plus BBCS is not out yet =(

Hmm afternoons or like hella late in the night are best since my roommates stream/torrent/whatever in the evening, but we can try!

FindMyFarms said:
Hmm afternoons or like hella late in the night are best since my roommates stream/torrent/whatever in the evening, but we can try!

Tell them to stop! Or cap the upload to 5kb/sec

fake edit: don't you have school or work something? Are you just a pro gamer? I'm so puzzled that you can play afternoon/evening/nights.

Imm0rt4l

FindMyFarms said:

yea, you had me mind fucked. I just felt I had to get you off my grill, but I don't have any reliable reversals. Tatsu doesn't hit low and slow. Felt good getting that tatsu to ultra! But then you take the W anyway :/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So fucking pissed, I hate Ken so much.

What the hell is WRONG with his cr.mk xx Ex tatsu? Sometimes it combos sometimes it doesn't.

Pisses me off so much.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yoshichan said:
So fucking pissed, I hate Ken so much.

What the hell is WRONG with his cr.mk xx Ex tatsu? Sometimes it combos sometimes it doesn't.

Pisses me off so much.
does cr.mk stand up?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DigiMish said:
Uh, that always combos.
Wtf is going on with my game then? I swear I'm one small step from FRAPSing this (record video).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's bnb. Just keep practicing.

ken.gif

Yoshichan

Kadey said:
It's bnb. Just keep practicing.

ken.gif
Thanks, will keep going.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
sometimes it only combos for a couple hits vs. certain characters. They will eject out of the ex tatsu after only 1 or 2 hits. It's bullshit. You're not suspecting it, and they're probably mashing buttons, so you'll likely get hit if they land right next to you.

At least if you're talking about ryu.

AZ Greg

CcrooK said:
Any Vega players (You AZ Greg!) have any tips of getting out of trapped corners? I'm getting murdered.

Don't get trapped. ;)

Once you get trapped in the corner it's really all about playing solid D. Don't get poke happy, don't back flip, and, unless your opponent is really predictable, don't try a scarlet terror. You will get stuffed. :lol

There are 2 things I use to escape, Vega's standard wall jump (the one where you just hit UF/F near a wall) and FBA. By playing solid D, and maybe hitting with a poke, you should be able to notice the times when you have a little space to breathe. If your opponent is right on top of you and you have that window then do the wall jump and as soon as you land on the other side of him do a PPP back flip. Just don't get too predictable with that or your opponent might start spacing his offense to deal with that escape method and perhaps punish any back flip you do after landing. The other way I'll get out is with a FBA off your opponents wall. Make sure not to go off your wall or your opponent can easily jump attack you and stuff it sending you back into the corner. You can use the standard FBA or the EX version but I'd recommend EX. The standard version is slower and easier to punish with normals. Plus, if your opponent reads that it is coming (or you have bad luck) and he jumps backwards then the two of you will just glide together in the air and he'll get a free hit and keep you on the side he wants. Though I guess you'd get a little space. The EX version is quicker and if your opponent jumps you'll get a free hit. Plus, sometimes you'll catch your opponent sleeping and get a free hit on the way up anyway. Just don't get cocky and fly back to try and get an attack in. If you do you might find yourself eating a FA dash to throw which would put you right back into the corner. It's the easiest FBA to punish as you're going from one end of the screen to the other twice.

Like I said in the beginning though, try and avoid the corner. Easier said than done, but Vega has some good tools to reset your side. FBA, df.HK over a downed opponent, etc... One other tip, and this may be something that you're already doing, but it's something I recently realized I wasn't doing. Whenever you hit with an EX FBA and you're coming back to catch your juggled opponent with the izuna drop part of the move make sure that you execute the throw in the direction that would put your opponent closest to the corner. There were times I'd hit with a EX FBA and izuna drop only to drop my opponent right in front of me as I'm now pinned in a corner. :lol If you do that and take advantage of those other tools you shouldn't find yourself in a corner too much. Unless you're fighting Rufus. :lol

LowParry

-takes notes-

FBA I find myself doing a whole lot less because of people FADC on the fly in. Although the jumpers make for an easy drop. Suppose I'll just have to use FBA for the quick escape when it comes to getting cornered. Even if it takes an EX to get free.

I'm convinced that Vega is going to be my main. Alts will probably be the 3S people. Never played it so I'm going to make up for it. :D The Round 2 TE stick helps after upgrading from an EX2. :D

Net_Wrecker said:
Anyone pick up one of those MadCatz Fightpad's recently? Any change to the supposed low quality of the first runs last year?
They were low quality on first runs?

Ive gone through 3 now.. All 3 lasted a good 300 hrs each of rough play.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's supposed to be a slow time for gaming usually but this year is pretty stacked in terms of quality titles. Basically every month has games worth playing.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
haunts said:
GGs as always AZ Greg.. Sorry I had to dip, I am packing for LA -- leave tomorrow at 8am!!

Drive safe yo... hope to meet up with ya'll this weekend.

Who else from NorCal is coming down?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MarkMan said:
Drive safe yo... hope to meet up with ya'll this weekend.

Who else from NorCal is coming down?

Thx yo!

Magus, Ramin, Farid (Eph), John Dill.. You might know Ramin but not sure if you've met the others! Really looking forward to it -- stressful past couple months and im not streaming this weekend! YAY! lol

Chairhome

I found a clearance copy of the PC version for $10 so I double dipped. Mostly cause of the costume mods :-D. I'm hoping to get more play on the PC since its easier for me to play on my PC than to disrupt the rest of the family by playing in the living room.

Top Bottom