• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

"So according to that, Bison is now the second to worse character? Yeah... no...
Blanka-Bison being 7-3 while Guile-Bison is 6-4 is also ridiculous."

I don't think you're reading that list right. That tier list has Bison (Vega) in the middle of B. Tier.

I seem to be confusing Bison as Balrog lately. =/

But I find it a bit funny that the Bison-Rufus match-up is 6-4.
I know he can roundhouse Rufus out of most of his stuff, but once Bison's cornered, it's hard to get out unless you luck out and time a low short after a blocked galactic tornado.
jam86 said:
Wait when did Chun-Li get a 6-4 match up in her favor against balrog(boxer)?
According the to lists on Eventhubs, it's the second time. Never understood the change to 5-5 or 4-6 Chun-Boxer match-up since she can poke him out of his dashes and use standing fierce when he's in the air.

MIMIC

Banned
Majestros said:
Finally got around to putting together a Footsies Handbook index. Still working on the last article.

– Jumping is one of the biggest gambles you can take in traditional fighting games. Despite the potential for high rewards, jumping usually leads to getting anti-aired, knocked down, and crossed up. It’s risky to say the least, but there are a few right ways to go about it.

I jump way too often. Probably why I main Fuerte =p

DarkoMaledictus said:
You forgot claw... he needs massive love!

You're right. Dan does too. at least make him viable. Like FADC Haohshogoken (or whatever he calls his ripoff version). A new move. Faster crouching fierce. Maybe damage buff.

But I feel you on the Claw tip. I hated Claw in Alpha 3 and this game. I actually started using him in Super SF2 and ST.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Spiderjericho said:
You're right. Dan does too. at least make him viable. Like FADC Haohshogoken (or whatever he calls his ripoff version). A new move. Faster crouching fierce. Maybe damage buff.

But I feel you on the Claw tip. I hated Claw in Alpha 3 and this game. I actually started using him in Super SF2 and ST.

Atleast they said Guile and claw are getting some attention, hopefully its enough to make thm compete at high level. Not just barely win because you are 10 times better than your opponent lol! ;)

Threi

notag
Dictator is right where I expected him to be - fourth best charge char, slightly behind Blanka. (I still contest Bison-Cammy being 5-5, I honestly believe the match is slightly in Cammy's favor)

lol @ Rose getting promoted. Saqs putting in the work :lol

DarkoMaledictus said:
Atleast they said Guile and claw are getting some attention, hopefully its enough to make thm compete at high level. Not just barely win because you are 10 times better than your opponent lol! ;)

I feel you. It's funny because back in the SF2 days, I remember playing it at school, the bodegas or in the arcade and we never thought about tiers until Gamepro made them relevant.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about Guile so far. He's kind of like ST Guile but not sort of. They'll never give him a new special move (but Ryu can get his new kick in SF3, Ken can get the roll in Alpha, etc). Hopefully, they've tweaked the damage on the ultras. They seem wonky. Like Sagat's useful ultra does damage but the fireball one that takes risk to land does zero damage. That doesn't make any sense.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
sakura has a bad match vs. fei?
i don't really see it.

nice to see she was bumped up though, aside from fei i agree with the match ups.

K.Sabot said:
6-4 Sagat/Ryu is interesting.

Is the stream offline?

What stream? The one from earlier? It stopped around 4 PST for me. I fell asleep during it but saw Marn, LI Joe, Rico and a few others were in attendance.

I wonder why they say Ryu has a disadvantage. I thought it was even before. I think Ryu has the footsie advantage and can press the battle about the same as Sagat. The only disadvantage is the damage (lookatthedamage.gif).

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
What stream? The one from earlier? It stopped around 4 PST for me. I fell asleep during it but saw Marn, LI Joe, Rico and a few others were in attendance.

I wonder why they say Ryu has a disadvantage. I thought it was even before. I think Ryu has the footsie advantage and can press the battle about the same as Sagat. The only disadvantage is the damage (lookatthedamage.gif).

Ryu is at disadvantage because High Tiger Shot is faster than Fireball. Also Sagat has better jump in options for mistimed projectiles imo.

haunts said:
Ryu is at disadvantage because High Tiger Shot is faster than Fireball. Also Sagat has better jump in options for mistimed projectiles imo.

Ah, I see. That's weird that his high fireball is faster than his low fireball. From that post on that great fighting-game site, Iplaywinner.com (courtesy of Hadoken.net), Seth said they're taking steps to fix the Sagat Hurt Locker. I hope that translates to no more Hulk Hogan come backs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Going by that tier list, I guess I have some consolation that the Dhalsim-Sagat matchup is considered 5-5. Not sure exactly why, though. A Sagat who know what he's doing can fairly effectively keep a Dhalsim out at full range with tiger shot spam and RH/uppercut/TK any chances the Dh player takes to get to an optimal half screen range. Also, the damage and comeback potential Sagat has is incredible against Sim. One "LOL" combo, and 3/4 of Sim's life is gone.

Viper and Rufus 6-4 against Sim, yeah, those two wreck me more often than not.

7-3 Sim advantage against Guile? Heh, interesting. It is a fairly favorable, if not boring, matchup for Sim, though.

Question: Why is Cammy a bad matchup for Akuma?

Nose Master

Gonna be on XBL for a bit grinding out championship mode: Licorice King. Open to some challenges, just mention you're from gaf. PS: I'm a mediocre dan :lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
Ah, I see. That's weird that his high fireball is faster than his low fireball. From that post on that great fighting-game site, Iplaywinner.com (courtesy of Hadoken.net), Seth said they're taking steps to fix the Sagat Hurt Locker. I hope that translates to no more Hulk Hogan come backs.

They are, and its a little frustrating as a Sagat player. I can understand a little damage reduction but scrubs cried so much they will probably nerf Sagat pretty bad, worse than the others. I made post in the comments that in tournaments its hard enough to win just because you're playing top players who know the match up really well and now they are taking away some of his most crucial gameplay tools on TOP of reducing his damage.

On the flip side, now maybe I can get a little respect for my wins in Super instead of "oh well hes just a Sagat player."

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Spiderjericho said:
it'd suck if they were the same speeds. :(

Noise, I sent you a friend request. Again, KRP1976.

Haunts, and I'm not trying to come across as a hater but it seems like the damage was a crutch in match ups against others. It seemed like Seth said he was still good so now you'll just have to learn his matchups more, play high-level players, etc. You at least have access to some great players.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Combofiend is up 2-0 vs Justin Wong in Grand Finals at Level Up. Combo is in losers tho.

Spiderjericho said:
Noise, I sent you a friend request. Again, KRP1976.

Haunts, and I'm not trying to come across as a hater but it seems like the damage was a crutch in match ups against others. It seemed like Seth said he was still good so now you'll just have to learn his matchups more, play high-level players, etc. You at least have access to some great players.

I mentioned a damage reduction was in order, thats not it. I'll be able to talk more in the coming weeks, but you'll see..

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Combofiend wins the first set, sent Justin to losers. This will be huge if he beats Justin.

Ricky got 3rd btw, lost to Justin and Combo.

GeoNeo said:
So glad to hear Sagat has been nurfed. Haha. Hopefully, Ryu and Akuma get the same treatment.

Ryu doesn't need a nerf and the only thing Akuma needs to a fix to the loop on Sagat.

AZ Greg

GGs Botox.

I'm starting to feel good about the Cammy match-up. Didn't realize til recently that her spiral arrow didn't break armor. You were able to use it from far to get in on me last time which of course leads to heavy Cammy pressure. The only thing really giving me an issue is dealing with her Hooligan. So hard to react to. And dealing with Chun is so hard after getting used to someone else. You were jumping in on me for free. :lol Oh, and I think I need to pay Capcom off to nerf Chun's neutral jump HK, so deadly. :(

Spider, hit me up when you get done playing that other dude if you want some matches.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
haunts said:
Ryu doesn't need a nerf and the only thing Akuma needs to a fix to the loop on Sagat.

His bullshit trade into ultra needs to be removed or the damage scaling needs to be increased, bad enough you can mash out a DP like nothing for trade. As for Akuma just remove his Loop is fine, maybe tone down the invincibility on teleport .

haunts

Bacon of Hope
GeoNeo said:
His bullshit trade into ultra needs to be removed or the damage scaling needs to be increased, bad enough you can mash out a DP like nothing for trade. As for Akuma just remove his Loop is fine, maybe tone down the invincibility on teleport .

Why reduce invincibility on teleport? It's already unsafe.

Also, didnt they say they removed trade into Ultra? I could be mistaken but thought I read that in the interview.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
haunts said:
Why reduce invincibility on teleport? It's already unsafe.

Also, didnt they say they removed trade into Ultra? I could be mistaken but thought I read that in the interview.

For lower tier characters his teleport is bullshit man. Though, I do feel it is ok. Due, to his low health. His Vortex setups need to stay that is what makes him so fun, IMO.

As for the trade into ultra I did read something along those lines, but I yet to see it confirmed so many bullshit lies going around who knows what to believe anymore.

I do hope the Speed boost of the game is true. Been playing a ton of HF and ST on GGPO. I miss the speed of those games.

I think Akuma is fine. And congratulations to J.Wong (sigh). Combofiend is definitely leveling up...derr...

GGs Licorice King. Your Dan is saintly. But in all seriousness, he's a difficult character to win with. You seemed decent with Zangief. Or you can jump on the Ryu train.

Greg, send me an invite.

Nose Master

Fuck man, I got rocked. With you playing random, no less. :lol I picked on the scrubby ryus in G1 to feel better about myself :(

The only thing I know about gief is medium punch poke. I can't even do his command grabs :lol. My ryu is all right, but he's boring as fuck. I'll lose as Dan first :(.

Don't feel bad. Greg is kicking my butt like 7-1. There's always someone better than you. I'm not going to let it get me down. Just try to learn from it.

Nose Master

I at least felt like I wasnt getting completely bent over, most of the time. Last guy on gaf who challenged me was a very competent ryu, and, well. I was considering it a win if I broke his perfect.

PS: "Noise" makes my handle sound so much more menacing.

Ryu is my main but I don't think it's a fair fight against Dan. I respect that you're trying to get better with him Noise but he should just be your "fun" character as the level of skill it's going to take versus the matchups is going to be considerable. It's one thing if Sanford uses him because he's a great player (though some on here dis his Cammy, Sagat, etc).

And don't use G1, G2 as a gauge as it seems to be a grind fest. I'm still in G2 on PC, PSN and Live. I don't really care about it anymore. I liked the rank battle system in HD Remix more. No stupid points, just win and losses, wins against higher ranked opponents boosted your place in the SF pantheon.

GGs AZ. Was a bit perplexed by the Dhalsim matchup. I was trying to get a feel for your style. I was getting caught in the ultra mixups like it was cool.

I was SOOO mad with the Gen fight. I think you have a nice 1-2 punch in Claw/Dhalsim.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GeoNeo said:

Give me better SRK priority then so that his SRK's don't trade with EVERYTHING.

AZ Greg

Spiderjericho said:
GGs AZ. Was a bit perplexed by the Dhalsim matchup. I was trying to get a feel for your style. I was getting caught in the ultra mixups like it was cool.

I was SOOO mad with the Gen fight. I think you have a nice 1-2 punch in Claw/Dhalsim.

GGs. Yeah, I was trying to feel you out a little too. Generally, I'm pretty passive vs. someone until I've played a match or two against their character so I can see how they play, especially when I'm using Dhalsim. Couldn't really get comfortable since you were picking random, but it actually let me see some characters I haven't played against as Dhalsim yet, like Sak, so it was good EXP.

And yeah, I really like the Vega/Dhalsim pair. I didn't pick Dhalsim to cover bad match-ups for Vega, but it actually works out that way. I do much better against Ryus and Hondas as Dhalsim and Rufus isn't an impossible battle like it is with Vega. Though Chun and Balrog are still tough.

Random probably wasn't my friend. But it was cool to dip my feet and get a lil familiar with the myriad of characters. I haven't really played the game since the new year started, even though one of my resolutions was to. I just got done with my CCNP class (so I can be certified to teach it) so hopefully I can play more than a few times a week.

To be honest, except for Micvlad, I don't really play against many Dhalsims so it was definitely an interesting experience. I can't really comment about what a good or bad Dhalsim is but I think you're a pretty good player (obviously).

Well maybe they'll bless you twice in Super if they buff both characters.

And Ryu is fine the way he is except for that idiotic trading (same with Sagat and other shotos). To be honest, I just want them to plug up the completely unfair stuff like Sagat's damage (and the double kick), the Ryu trades, Akuma loops, the crazy chops with Gen, 99 ways Rufus has to ultra, etc. It ain't no fun if they homeyz can't have none.

AZ Greg said:
GGs Botox.

I'm starting to feel good about the Cammy match-up. Didn't realize til recently that her spiral arrow didn't break armor. You were able to use it from far to get in on me last time which of course leads to heavy Cammy pressure. The only thing really giving me an issue is dealing with her Hooligan. So hard to react to. And dealing with Chun is so hard after getting used to someone else. You were jumping in on me for free. :lol Oh, and I think I need to pay Capcom off to nerf Chun's neutral jump HK, so deadly. :(

Spider, hit me up when you get done playing that other dude if you want some matches.

GGs as always AZ Greg. I think I have decent understanding of the Sim matchup thanks to our marathon matches. I think the only thing that really irritates me is that annoying knockdown ultra mixup that you do....I just have to guess that shit :/ Ultra and then eating a super, that shit hurts.

Yeah, Chun's neutral HK has its uses, but Capcom has to give us Chun players a break for giving her such a shitty floaty ass jump, lol. I am still experimenting on training mode on what angles I can jump-in on your anti-airs. Sorry for that accidental taunt, that was me messing up the timing of my option select :-/.

I hope they nerf Gief's lariat in SSFIV. I amazed and disgusted by how much priority and invincibility frames that move has for something that is ridiculously easy to execute. Shit is retarded. That and they need to give make rog's dash punches a tad more negative on block.

haunts said:
On the flip side, now maybe I can get a little respect for my wins in Super instead of "oh well hes just a Sagat player."

cool that youre sticking with sagat. Only nerf that pissed me off was the standing short one. Goddamn, I'm going to miss having so many ranges to choose from with the tiger knee lockdown. far standing jab is probably what I'm going to use in my black strings now. Or just standing jabs in general.

Top Bottom