• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

So I've adjusted pretty well to my stick so far. My Bison is about on par to my 360 thumbstick level, but my Balrog has exceeded what I had done with him on my thumbstick(granted, I've spent a lot more time using him on my stick than on the pad). My Dan is also doing pretty well at the moment.

The only thing I find troubling is that my Chun is severely gimped at the moment. I can't do all the simple stuff I did on my thumbstick (most importantly, target combo into ultra). I'll put some more work into her, but so far, I just can't get the hang of her. :(

nice combo vid Timedog. oh, happy birthday! pbfbirthdaydeath.gif

been on a massive streak lately but the fuckin PS3 bug screwed everything up, haven't been able to play, hopefully Sony fixes this problem fast!

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
Bison just has a bunch of really safe escapes.
Thats...not true at all. All of Bison's "escape" options (considering he has meter to even try) can be punished by Cammy.

FindMyFarms said:
Rog, Chun, and Bison can all outpoke Cammy, but the difference is when Cammy gets in on Bison, it's almost impossible to keep him pinned down since he has EX DR, Psycho Crusher, and Teleport. This is on top of individual player abilities as being able to block correctly and properly reading the offense.
Bison does outpoke Cammy, but not to the level of Rog and Chun. You are overrating his pokes here. Like I said before, spiral arrow can catch teleport during recovery, due to the angle of cannon spike it can catch Bison trying to EX DR get away. Cammy has the benefit of having a fast non-charge move that covers a huge horizontal space, something that can catch EX PC. Add in option selects and that fucks Bison over...a whole lot. Bison can't fight from a distance in the match, he has to come close in, his high jump and air specials are easily punishable by cannon spike, which means he will be sticking to the ground. Cammy takes away half of Bison's game as soon as the match starts.

FindMyFarms said:
Cammy gets in on chun, and you know she's going to mash crap and use EX bar to get you off (ex legs or SBK), you can just block and she'll still be right in front of you. With Rog, you can throw him out of all his ex dash punches, and throw is a counter to jab mash as well, so you just have to worry about headbutts. But Bison can just get the Eff away, and roundhouse her to hell.
Fun fact: you can throw bison out of EX psycho crusher. Don't know why more people don't realize this. Like I said before though that doesn't mean shit because Cammy on offence can catch anything that Bison may want to do on defence with a spiral arrow/super/ultra.
Standing roundhouse trades, but if they are mashing it out just cannon spike. No joke, it will catch it even if its on the tip. You can anti air bison...when he's on the ground...from midscreen.

WTF.

on the Cannon spike thing: I've been (non EX) Cannon spiked out of HS, EX HS (trade), PC, EX PC (Don't remember if it was trade or clean), DR, EX DR, Scissors and EX Scissors (trade). It aint fun man.

FindMyFarms said:
I've been using Rog in the last two team tourneys (since you have to stick to one char) but I used Cammy at the last singles tourney and got second. I'm really liking her as point character in a match, since the only matches that would get me worried with her are Rog or Dictator, both of whom I can switch back to Rog for.
I think Jop put the fear of god in you or something because you are heavily overrating Dictator in this matchup. Personally I hate the Cammy/Bison matchup so much that I tend to just use Rog and even Fuerte against Cammy players instead. I would take playing long sets of Bison/Sagat over Bison/Cammy any day of the week (btw haunts we need to play again). Bison's defence against chars that have option selects is bad. Really bad.

Threi, it's not just Jop putting fear in me(but he does) lol, since I don't do TOO bad, but it's definitely a 6-4 matchup. Kim, Andre, and Justin Wong also say the same thing.

I'll go into more detail in a post in a bit. I think for the most part, from reading your posts, you think is Bison is just wayyy bad lol.

The only problem I ever have when playing against a Cammy is when I get knocked down because of what Threi said, but that in itself isn't do bad as I still won't eat a lot of damage.
Bison can get some meaty damage off of Cammy's whiffed and blocked moves. And Cammy's bad against Bison IMO from mid-to-long range, as you can use roundhouse and scissors to keep her out all day long.

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
I'll go into more detail in a post in a bit. I think for the most part, from reading your posts, you think is Bison is just wayyy bad lol.
Nah...I only think his defense is bad. After switching up my playstyle and stopping being reliant on long blockstrings (online no less) I see that he has an AMAZING ground game. Still not on the level of Chun/Rog though. He is definitely at least upper mid tier. I just think that the Cammy/Bison match doesn't swing Bison's way at all. At best I see it 5-5, at worst 6-4 Cammy.

I find Guile/Bison matches more fun than Cammy/Bison. And that is considered Bison's worst matchup (aside from eyepatch man)

eva01

sc2 beta key for

ccon.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Can anyone think of how to get higher than a 22 hit combo with ryu with only 4 bars?

I should have been able to get a 25 hit against Sagat with:

j. mp > cr. lk > cr. lp > cr. lk > fireball xx fadc > cr. lk > cr. lp > cr. mp > cr. fp xx ex tatsu > ex fireball > ultra

but it registers as 22 cause the ultra only hits for 6 for some reason, and the ex tatsu I think is missing a hit cause capcom made it super buggy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ryu question:

Can you SOMEHOW combo his overhead?

Yoshichan said:
Ryu question:

Can you SOMEHOW combo his overhead?

Yes, but it won't work the way you may want it to. I've done it before in the training room with SRK, Super, and jab I think. But it has to be done really up close and your opponent has to be standing, which kind of takes away the point of trying to use his overhead to start a combo.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Rice-Eater said:
Yes, but it won't work the way you may want it to. I've done it before in the training room with SRK, Super, and jab I think. But it has to be done really up close and your opponent has to be standing, which kind of takes away the point of trying to use his overhead to start a combo.

I know counter-hit should work.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rice-Eater said:
Damn it, thanks!

_dementia said:
Valle playing Feilong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tMlfxqbBKg

kinda sloppy with the EX-Focus Attack chokes, but still interesting to watch

Shoot. Head and shoulders above my Fei. He obviously just started using him, so the execution wasn't there. His footsies still solid. Nice Gouken too.

Edit: It seems like he wasn't playing good during those matches. Like his execution was off. Or maybe he was sandbagging.

I see that levelup is where you go vids instead of gytnews. Can't wait for vids from the tourney.

Finally getting the EX armor cancel>ultra working. So far I've done it twice tonight (actually my first time trying online). Both opponents threw out EX fireballs and got a suprise. Shit is so dope looking!

One guy messaged me: "that was fucking insane, I had to replay it in my head to figure out what happened. That was really impressive props."

Dat Rawg!!!

Edit: yeah boi, at least 8 times tonight I got it. Now I just need to work on my full screen dash damn dash ultra. :/

Yoshichan

Another Ken question:

What's the best combo to perform after a LV3 FA? NO SUPER BAR OR ULTRA!

Edit - Also, can my opponent punish my light tatsu if I hit him with it?

DigiMish

Yoshichan said:
Another Ken question:

Definitely Roundhouse into Tatsu. It's one of the most damaging combos in the game, and it only consists of 2 moves.

Yoshichan

DigiMish said:
Definitely Roundhouse into Tatsu. It's one of the most damaging combos in the game, and it only consists of 2 moves.
Damn it, I was worried it would be Fierce > Tatsu :(

What's the point of doing fat comboz like cr.lp xx cr.lp xx stand.lp xx cr.mk xx tatsu xx then :(? I really like that one but if it doesn't do as much damage...

Yoshichan said:

What's the point of doing fat comboz like cr.lp xx cr.lp xx stand.lp xx cr.mk xx tatsu xx then :(? I really like that one but if it doesn't do as much damage...

cr.lp xx cr.lp xx stand.lp xx cr.mk xx tatsu for hit confirm, man.

Use the hard hitting combos like HK xx HK Tatsu for punishment

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Yoshichan said:
Another Ken question:

HK-HK Tatsu is the most damage Ken can deal without a Jump in and meter. It's actually a dirty dirty amount if the first knee of the tatsu hits. However, the spacing doesn't work with all characters. Close HK takes quite a few frames to come out. In situations like those, your best resort would be close Fierce into EX Shoryu.

Sagat is a good example, as the close knee of the tatsu won't hit in most occasions. Use close HK into EX Shoryu in that case.

Yoshichan

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

Yoshichan said:

The more moves you do, the more damage scaling you'll deal with. Basically the way SF4 was designed you are not rewarded for going for the highest number of hits possible. Especially when you land a number of shorts/jabs before finishing with a Tatsu or SRK. Which will make the move look pretty weak compared to landing it on it's own.

But anyways what your doing is a good thing. You're hit confirming into your tatsu. Imagine if you just went straight for a st. HK into EX SRK and it got blocked. At least this way you can stop yourself if you see that your shorts/jabs aren't landing. So basically keep doing what you're doing unless you reaction time is so good that you can hit confirm with just one move(lets say a jumping fierce). If that's the case then forget the jabs, go for that sexy st. HK into SRK or Tatsu.

Yoshichan said:

hey xx means cancel
commas are cool

Yoshichan

_dementia said:
hey xx means cancel
commas are cool
Sorry ;_; it just felt so weird when I wrote that up with commas (I did it all over again with xx's instead :lol )

Yoshichan

Nose Master said:
Can ryu not hurricane kick through tigershots, or am I just timing it wrong?
You can tatsu over low tigers, not high ones.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Damn it, gutabo. I didn't want to wait all that time for 5 matches, especially when I haven't fought a decent Honda before. :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just had a match against a pretty aggressive Ryu player. He was really keeping my Chun in check, then I notice on knockdown, he gets back and just spams jab repeatedly. So I do my ultra on wake-up and hear "AW HELL NAW MAYNE!!!" then turn the tide and win the round. Next round, same thing. I get knocked down, wake up with an ultra, he spams jab, and this time it's "AW HELL NAW DAWWWG!!" and I win the match. :lol

gutabo

SORRY! I had many incoming requests at once and then I had to drop the game cause my bro had to do some heavy stuff on the internet and lag became unbereable(also my hand was hurting for all that pianoing/sliding). Next time(tomorrow-wednesday night) we'll play at least 20 matches, ok? I promise!

Hitokage said:
Damn it, gutabo. I didn't want to wait all that time for 5 matches, especially when I haven't fought a decent Honda before. :lol

You use Chun right Hitokage?

We have to get sum mizatches in one of these days.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
gutabo said:
SORRY! I had many incoming requests at once and then I had to drop the game cause my bro had to do some heavy stuff on the internet and lag became unbereable(also my hand was hurting for all that pianoing/sliding). Next time(tomorrow-wednesday night) we'll play at least 20 matches, ok? I promise!
Haha, no worries.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I've fallen in love with vega ( claw ) for some bizarre reason. I've always hated the poor sod but today I gave him a good try and really really enjoy playing him for his rather unorthodox ways.

I've looked at some combos and info at eventhubs but anybody have some other tips or the name of a really good tournament ( lol i know ) player.

Aedile

Corky said:
I've looked at some combos and info at eventhubs but anybody have some other tips or the name of a really good tournament ( lol i know ) player.

Makoto, Wasa Beef, Ujiki and Cat-K are all very good Claw players.

Leunam

Corky said:

Tatsu is a good U.S. player. Arguably the best outside Japan. He also has good hair.

Grifter

I wish I had this on tape to demonstrate but how do you tourney players keep from deviating from your style or gameplan too much? Winning in style is part of the fun for me but tourney nerves (and specially today's HD games being hosted on variable lag screens) can scare me off my normally comfortable tight timing situations (links, FRCs in GG, etc.) and I end up reverting to an overly-safe ghetto style version of myself.

This has been pretty successful for me but I know I'm not beating great players if I can't just let myself go and maximize my damage opportunities. Sometimes, it's a player that I respect a lot and I may psyche myself out, like not expecting him to fall for the same thing twice.

On the flip side, I've had tourneys where everything slows down like I'm in the Matrix and I'm nailing stuff I don't even do in casual play, but any tips on achieving a consistency? I figure part if it is sheer volume of play time that I'm not able to get in nowadays.

Leunam

I don't care for the showboating myself either, but I'd rather cheer for him than a prickish cock like Rico Suave. Juicebox is at least very helpful when it comes to match up knowledge.

Top Bottom