• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
zlatko said:
I know how you feel. I just got a stick myself and I whiff some of the easiest things. It also bothers the crap out of me that for the life of me I can't naturally do a dash forward in any of the fighting games. It literally feels like I'm fighting against the stick if I wanna move forward fast lol.

It's weird that I can't always get a fireball off either. Maybe stick just isn't for me and I should stick with pad?

You shouldn't use a stick just because someone tells you to use a stick. I use pad myself for KOF, and I can use pad/stick about the same for other 2D, provided it's a quality pad (we have none of those this gen yet) Using stick in KOF98 XBLA was too frustrating, though part of me thinks the game's controls were wonky compared to emulation.

The best pads I ever used were $10 Saitek PC pads that i used on GGPO.

I do need stick for 3d fighters though, I can't pad warrior those.

Shito

24815_356985149384_175773694384_3594319_6483620_n.jpg

Wow!
Sagat players bullying the japanese.

EDIT: Eita wins it 2-0 against Alioune, the best french Sagat player.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
holy shit at Daigo losing to the Prodigal Son! Good shit Ryan!

--

BTW

I am 2-0 over Oichi in SFIV!

I am the real ladies champ!

It was to be expected, but after nearly exactly one year since last playing this online I'm getting raped by high level players... goddamn matchmaking.

FML

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Monkeylord said:
It was to be expected, but after nearly exactly one year since last playing this online I'm getting raped by high level players... goddamn matchmaking.

FML
those probably aren't high level players.

Good to see Eita win. I love watching his hyper aggressive style. Much much different compared to the more conservative Tokido and Momochi. We all knew Daigo was coming to Evo regardless of this event. Now we're almost guaranteed another top Japanese player at Evo. So hopefully Eita doesn't have any other plans in early July. And hopefully they bring a few more friends, I'd love to see a Japan vs US exhibition.

zlatko

Banned
arstal said:
You shouldn't use a stick just because someone tells you to use a stick. I use pad myself for KOF, and I can use pad/stick about the same for other 2D, provided it's a quality pad (we have none of those this gen yet) Using stick in KOF98 XBLA was too frustrating, though part of me thinks the game's controls were wonky compared to emulation.

The best pads I ever used were $10 Saitek PC pads that i used on GGPO.

I do need stick for 3d fighters though, I can't pad warrior those.

I'll keep trying to up my game until SSF4 comes out with this stick since I did spend 90 dollars for it. If my game isn't at least equal by the time it hits though in performing combos as it is with pad, then I might just have to ebay it.

I tried looking for some good pads to try out, but that's like a needle in a haystack almost.

Anyone have a link to some good pads for PS3 and 360?(Sorry if not in the correct thread...still a junior and I don't know how to use the search function...tried looking for it, but I must be blind)

Threi

notag
zlatko said:
I'll keep trying to up my game until SSF4 comes out with this stick since I did spend 90 dollars for it. If my game isn't at least equal by the time it hits though in performing combos as it is with pad, then I might just have to ebay it.

I tried looking for some good pads to try out, but that's like a needle in a haystack almost.

Anyone have a link to some good pads for PS3 and 360?(Sorry if not in the correct thread...still a junior and I don't know how to use the search function...tried looking for it, but I must be blind)
The madcatz fightpad is theoretically the best for both, but I personally haven't had good experience with their build quality (that may or may not have been fixed)

for PS3 you can also try the Sega Saturn USB pad.

I agree with arstal though, people should just up and spend money on a stick just because other people think it's necessary. Use what you are comfortable with, unless you are using a stock 360 dpad or something it won't hurt your execution if you know how to use it.

I will wager that 90-95% of people who are using a pad aren't playing at a high level because of their controller, but because of other factors (limited knowledge of the game, poor competition, etc.)

Personally after getting used to a stick I consider it a bit of a waste of time, because any improvements I have made since using a pad I attribute to better knowledge of the game, matchups, and my char, not using a "supposed" better control scheme.

It is easier on the hands (thumbs) though...

zlatko said:

I've been using a Mad Catz pad since SF4 came out for 360 and it's worked like a dream for me so far. 100 times better than the standard 360 controller imo.

fresquito

Threi said:
The madcatz fightpad is theoretically the best for both, but I personally haven't had good experience with their build quality (that may or may not have been fixed)

for PS3 you can also try the Sega Saturn USB pad.

I agree with arstal though, people should just up and spend money on a stick just because other people think it's necessary. Use what you are comfortable with, unless you are using a stock 360 dpad or something it won't hurt your execution if you know how to use it.

I will wager that 90-95% of people who are using a pad aren't playing at a high level because of their controller, but because of other factors (limited knowledge of the game, poor competition, etc.)

Personally after getting used to a stick I consider it a bit of a waste of time, because any improvements I have made since using a pad I attribute to better knowledge of the game, matchups, and my char, not using a "supposed" better control scheme.

My execution has always been much better in the arcades, so the fighting stick should make a whole lot of difference to me. Alas, it's too expensive for my liking.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Threi said:
In all seriousness, isn't this enough? A hundred dollars on a control scheme that is both durable and doesn't wear down my hands after hours and hours of play is more than worth it to me, probably because I've been down the road of pad overuse before. My right thumb still feels off in certain positions after the injury I sustained doing the work represented in the videos in this post. Red Scarlet has her own tale of pad injury if you ask her.

Also, face buttons on an arcade stick are better and easier to control, hands down. I frequently had issues reliably doing EX moves on a pad when I played SF3 and PPP or KKK is even worse. Yes, there are shortcut buttons in SF4, but forgive me if I have trouble contorting my left hand to use L1 and L2 while doing dpad motions correctly at the same time. Certain people map PPP or KKK to one of the right shoulder buttons, but then they bitch about control schemes when changing between certain characters.

However, using the joystick instead of a dpad is where the learning curve comes in, and the question of whether it's ultimately better or not depends on a lot of things. Personally, I can't stand using disc dpads for fighting games, so the 360 and Saturn controllers are automatically inferior for me. I main Chun-Li so I haven't gotten too much double qcf practice, but by now I'm far more comfortable doing her inputs with the stick than a cross dpad.

Another thing to keep in mind is that an arcade stick can be used for just about anything that doesn't require an analog stick. If you choose to get one, make the most of your investment. It will also help with the acclimation.

Man, PSN seems to be a ghost town every time I sign on (GAFchat).

Ryan Hart (sp) seems to have Daigo's number. Eita will be an interesting addition to Evo. Hope he plays SSFIV. And it would be nice if Tokido, Nemo, Mago, Uryo came to Evo. But there's probably not enough money in it. It's one thing to have a free ticket but to have to pay the $1,000+ to fly there and come home empty handed (though their tourneys aren't for money anyways).

And my execution is better on a pad but I mainly use a stick. I agree, it's better for your thumb, and it also provides better button control since the buttons are bigger and the use of fingers vice thumb.

LakeEarth

Majestros said:
Grappler Training aka everyone should learn Zangief (or at least Abel).

I'm totally serious though. If you've never tried using a grappler before, it's easily worth the two weeks.
Good stuff. I always gravitate to the grapplers (Alex and Hugo in 3s, Abel and Honda in 4) so this was a good read for me.

Hitokage said:
My right thumb still feels off in certain positions after the injury I sustained doing the work represented in the videos in this post.

Oh snap, I LOVE the x series. Didn't know you were so pro! Beating x3 sigma with no upgrades was pretty fuckin boss. I always had to use gold megaman to beat him haha.

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, is it just me, or is it REALLY fucking hard to Dash on a stick in SF4? Maybe it's the TE Stick, but it seems like it really sucks at reading neutral inputs. The easy inputs add to the problem, as well as the fact that you can't buffer dash commands from crouch. I have to spend time just practicing dashing with in various situations, it's silly. I probably just still suck with stick (switched about 2 months ago), but I just thought I'd ask to see if I was the only one.

WCG SF4 tournament is over, Fuudo beat Daigo in grand finals. Daigo came from losers but was able to reset it by beating Fuudo 3-0 in the first set. But Fuudo came back to win the 2nd set 3-2 to become the champion.

1. Fuudo
2. Daigo
3. Luffy(French Rose player)

Other SF4 tourney results

SF4 2v2 Tourney: Japan 1(Eita/Daigo)
SF4 Master Series: Eita

So basically Japan swept all the tourney's but Daigo failed to win either solo tournaments. Eita has his trip to Evo secured. Fuudo has money now so maybe he'll be available in early July and be able to join those 2 and hopefully bring along other guys like Tokido, Mago, and Uryo.

ptown

zlatko said:

I use a USB Saturn Pad (got off ebay). It works pretty well.

Also, MarkMan, the king of arcade sticks and controller thingys, said this pad is legit.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-3py6-4-6.html

I might get one and try it out.

AZ Greg

Gotta echo what Hito is saying. Even if overall play level stays the same going from pad to stick, the comfort, durability, and versatility benefits of a stick make it worth the time/money investment. There are reasons you rarely if ever hear of someone getting completely comfortable with a stick and then switching back to pad. I think there are a lot of bad arguments coming from both sides though. You have some stick players who will completely dismiss pad play and you have some pad players who will only give a small fraction of time to learning stick compared to what they put in pad play and then be down on the worth of learning a stick when they prematurely give their opinion or quit trying to learn.

One tip I always try to give friends who are going to attempt to learn stick is to try learning when a new game comes out. It's easier to get over the stick learning curve when it is blurred with the game learning curve. Getting comfortable with learning a new control scheme is hard enough as is, always having the thought in your head that you can pull out your pad and win a match you currently can't with your stick discourages the learning process too much.

Rice-Eater said:
WCG SF4 tournament is over, Fuudo beat Daigo in grand finals. Daigo came from losers but was able to reset it by beating Fuudo 3-0 in the first set. But Fuudo came back to win the 2nd set 3-2 to become the champion.

1. Fuudo
2. Daigo
3. Luffy(French Rose player)

Other SF4 tourney results

SF4 2v2 Tourney: Japan 1(Eita/Daigo)
SF4 Master Series: Eita

So basically Japan swept all the tourney's but Daigo failed to win either solo tournaments. Eita has his trip to Evo secured. Fuudo has money now so maybe he'll be available in early July and be able to join those 2 and hopefully bring along other guys like Tokido, Mago, and Uryo.

Is there a thread/link w/ full top 8 results?

Did Daigo run it back against Ryan Hart?

And who does Fuuda use?

And oh, I forgot Daigo said he was going to Evo. I hope they play religiously or Capcom releases an arcade version of SSFIV.

They should have another God's Garden sponsored by whoever to pick another Japanese representative to Evo.

I want to see Tokido, Mago or Uryo play Americans. Also, I hope Ryan Hart and a few other Europeans come to Evo also. Make it the World Championships. Make it happen Seth Kill, get Capcom Monies to fly the best Korean, Japanese (Daigo is already coming) and European players.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there any particular reason why Capcom couldn't just get their marketing department to spend a few ten thousand bucks to fly (or at least help subsidize) top players to out of country tournaments?

Seems like a fairly minor price for the amount of hype and mindshare it would generate.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
holy fuck, daigos maining juri at evo 2010! GET HYPE
average video game customer: what the fuck are you talking about?

everyone who knows of these people have already preordered.

what they need to do first is have there super street fighter 4 commercial be nothing but evo moments for previous games and HYPE [ie: daigo vs justin in 3S full parry, sabre vs valle matrix moment, etc] before the commercial introduces the game.

that way they'd have established the game, the hype and the players they're sponsoring with somebody on the more casual side of things.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Coordination with average video game customer websites and free streams would help. Besides, it's not like we're talking about a hundred thousand dollar marketing campaign.

I don't see the average consumer caring either but it helps to foster and show support for the community your product has generated. Obviously, SFIV has been a pretty nice success in Japanese arcades. There's a big National Tournament, which is sponsored by said company. Last year, they had a U.S. National tournament. Said company also attended the Evo World Championship and brought the game's producer/director (whatever Ono is).

Funding three tickets so players from other countries can attend is just a sign of good will. I bet Seth wouldn't mind entertaining it and presenting it to his superiors.

They flew Poongko, Iyo and Daigo out to for the Gamespot/EB National finals. Did the average user care, probably not.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A large number of casuals probably wouldn't care too much. A fairly significant number of casuals would have a minimal to moderate increase in interest, if marketed right.

The more reasons people have to play a game, the more people will play it. The more people that play a game, especially a competitive one, the more reasons their friends will want to play too. If the player base increases, the tournament-going player base should increase as well, increasing tournament pots and interest in general - setting a good base from which to build on for the next tournament.

I'm just saying it seems like a fairly optimistic and realistic goal that wouldn't take that much monetary investment compared to an orthodox marketing campaign since a lot of the work is done at the moment for free anyway by the community.

Starcraft didn't become king in Korea overnight.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
y'know since ssf4 isnt coming to arcades, why dont arcades just set up ps3s with the game and... charge people somehow?

Rentahamster said:
Is there any particular reason why Capcom couldn't just get their marketing department to spend a few ten thousand bucks to fly (or at least help subsidize) top players to out of country tournaments?

Seems like a fairly minor price for the amount of hype and mindshare it would generate.

it would be smart but capcom doesnt seem to acknowledge the amount of sales that the high level competitive aspect of sf4 drums up.

itd be smart if they held their own tournaments blizzard style but i just dont see them doing it.

Spiderjericho said:
I don't see the average consumer caring either but it helps to foster and show support for the community your product has generated. Obviously, SFIV has been a pretty nice success in Japanese arcades. There's a big National Tournament, which is sponsored by said company. Last year, they had a U.S. National tournament. Said company also attended the Evo World Championship and brought the game's producer/director (whatever Ono is).

Funding three tickets so players from other countries can attend is just a sign of good will. I bet Seth wouldn't mind entertaining it and presenting it to his superiors.

They flew Poongko, Iyo and Daigo out to for the Gamespot/EB National finals. Did the average user care, probably not.

i guess thats not toooo bad

Regarding the arcade idea in America. I wouldn't pay to play a game I already have. I, however, wouldn't mind paying to enter a tournament or just going to a local gathering (like Keystone lite or Keystone II).

And I think it was brought up why it wouldn't work in Japanese arcades (you could probably search that bloated Super thread or the even more bloated one on SRK). And I don't see why Capcom can't make a kit available to arcade operators. The game runs on PC hardware, so it's just basically new software on the platform. Obviously the mechanics to unlock/$$$ for the costumes would need to be changed, the same network functionality (with gamer cards), etc.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
y'know since ssf4 isnt coming to arcades, why dont arcades just set up ps3s with the game and... charge people somehow?
there's probably a law somewhere about that.

i dont think the extreme costs of cabs has much to do with the building materials, so i'd guess arcades have to pay a heavy premium on the software. if they just used ps3s, who would know the difference between a proper legal $15,000 arcade ssf4 ps3 disc and a $60 walmart one.

SephirothRK said:
Here's the team Rose team vs Daigo team
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDVbUI4zBTQ
pad rose player too.

Spiderjericho said:
Man, PSN seems to be a ghost town every time I sign on (GAFchat).

Ryan Hart (sp) seems to have Daigo's number. Eita will be an interesting addition to Evo. Hope he plays SSFIV. And it would be nice if Tokido, Nemo, Mago, Uryo came to Evo. But there's probably not enough money in it. It's one thing to have a free ticket but to have to pay the $1,000+ to fly there and come home empty handed (though their tourneys aren't for money anyways).

And my execution is better on a pad but I mainly use a stick. I agree, it's better for your thumb, and it also provides better button control since the buttons are bigger and the use of fingers vice thumb.

what time do you usually sign in? i'm on there pretty regularly and there is usually at least 4 or 5 people. during the week is the best time though, in the evening, there is quite a few people in there.

Last night I signed on around 9 p.m. This morning I was on around 9 a.m.

I don't have a specific time I'll sign on. I prefaced my comment by saying when I sign on. I'll try to sign on a little earlier but I'm usually preparing my following day's lessons.

With Live, I can sign on and see AZ Greg (the accursed), Timedog, Grifter and a few others playing throughout the night.

SephirothRK said:
Here's the team Rose team vs Daigo team
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDVbUI4zBTQ

Man, Daigo coasts on his natural skill. It didn't seem like he was comfortable or knew the matchup very well.

And wow, he now has a low jab, roundhouse link combo now. Most of everybody's Ryu combos were lifted from him.

And he's not using Juri. All he said in that challenge video was he was coming and he'd be playing SSFIV (hopefully).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Pandaman said:
do people really only read the first sentence of a post before hitting reply?

Pretty much and people telling other people what they already know. It's like no shit sherlock. I just laugh it off. :lol

DAAAAAAAAAIGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Pad players unite!

FindMyFarms said:
Is there a thread/link w/ full top 8 results?

This is your best bet but it doesn't have very precise results

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=227638

Well 4 Japanese players flew over there and they all got paid except Desora. I guess you can say it was a good idea for these guys to skip Gods Garden. They recorded all the finals and probably semi-finals as well so videos should start coming in the next day or two hopefully.

Top Bottom