• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

GeoNeo said:
Anyway to watch replay of Gods Garden? :(

They'll probably be reposted on lordaborigine's youtube page. That is how I saw most of Gods Garden 1.

Reno/Oichi said:
They were selling t-shirts of Mago and Kokujin at the event, going for around $30 or so. The quality of the shirt is actually really good, and they have each players catchphrase on the back of

What are their catchphrases? :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oichi said:
Nope, but he did take a picture with Inaba-san and KSK before he left.

Oichi said:
※ They were selling t-shirts of Mago and Kokujin at the event, going for around $30 or so. The quality of the shirt is actually really good, and they have each players catchphrase on the back of it. During my finals, I went on the stream and started pimping Kokujin’s t-shirt, much to his approval, hah.
Let me guess Mago catchphrase : TIGER! TIGER! TIGER TIGER!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
FindMyFarms said:
Oh snap, I LOVE the x series. Didn't know you were so pro! Beating x3 sigma with no upgrades was pretty fuckin boss. I always had to use gold megaman to beat him haha.
X1-5 without upgrades or boss weapons are completely different games, and all completely doable(question mark on X5's final boss, admittedly). Pity X6 and up had to be broken.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
~Devil Trigger~ said:
do people really believe Daigo dont play the game on console?

he played that Rose fight pretty solid
i noticed during button check they were using the 360 version, no?

so wtf is with this "ps3 standard" rule i had to mod my stick for?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
bistromathics said:
i noticed during button check they were using the 360 version, no?

so wtf is with this "ps3 standard" rule i had to mod my stick for?
PS3 standard's mostly a USA thing (probably because EVO set the precedent). Europe has been running Xbox/360 for most of their events for some time now.

Imm0rt4l

~Devil Trigger~ said:
do people really believe Daigo dont play the game on console?

he played that Rose fight pretty solid
I'm pretty sure he has the game on console. Whether he plays on it much, I don't really know.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
AFAIK the decision to run games on the PS3 at Evo was because the Evo staff purchased PS3 systems to run their T5DR tournaments, so it made more sense to just continue using them for other games than to buy 360s for the same game.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the input from everyone earlier on not giving up on the stick. I'll just have to really take the bigger plunge with it when SSF4 comes out. I think I was just expecting it to be such a smooth transition on speed and accuracy, but it takes serious practice and dedication.

I won't give up. :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
zlatko said:
Thanks for the input from everyone earlier on not giving up on the stick. I'll just have to really take the bigger plunge with it when SSF4 comes out. I think I was just expecting it to be such a smooth transition on speed and accuracy, but it takes serious practice and dedication.

I won't give up. :)
The reality is that you're giving up a control scheme you've been using and practicing with for probably a decade or more and starting fresh with a device you're likely touching for the first time. It's not going to be quick or easy. Personally, I'd recommend not holding it off. Yes, it's painful getting slapped around while you're still learning, but shame only holds you back and you don't get better by not using it. Again, playing other games on stick helps too.

Oh yeah, for some people it's not obvious that you should be using a grip that has you move the stick with mainly your wrist and fingers, not your arm. Beyond that, it's entirely a matter of preference.

Kimosabae

Banned
The problem that I have with the argument that sticks offer more precision, is the very fact that the concept of an analog stick itself is not in complete harmony with digital input reading. On a well-constructed digital pad, there's much less space for ambiguity or unintentional inputs, simply because the ergonomic design of a digital pad is engineered to match each digital input. It's similar to saying you can make more precise measurements with standard imperial over metric or mark an instant more accurately with a sundial rather than stop watch - it's a no-brainer. Analog sticks aren't precise at all: they're just what people are used to.

Where Arcade Sticks host a real advantage is the button layout - your fingers have more flexibility in regards to how you want to push each button, something a controller doesn't allow as easily, because it is engineered to be form-fitting to the digits and palms.

Someone really should consider engineering a some type of amalgam - a digital pad, 6 button layout interface. It's hard to think how that could be engineered for comfort, but I'm sure it can be done.

I grew up using stick at the arcade, but once the fighting genre petered out near the end of the new millennium, I became a console pad player. I consider myself quite good at fighting games and figured getting used to stick again would be much easier than it is right now (first time using a Japanese stick, though).

Honestly, I wouldn't even be playing with a stick if, for whatever reason, 3 button Ultras didn't seem impossible to do on PS3/360 pads. This is the only game I felt I couldn't play on pad.

/Vent

"The problem that I have with the argument that sticks offer more precision, is the very fact that the concept of an analog stick itself is not in complete harmony with digital input reading"

Not sure I understand what you mean here about analog sticks.

The main benefit of sticks just comes down to human anatomy. More parts, more muscles allow you to do the same motions faster with less strain.

Kimosabae

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Not sure I understand what you mean here about analog sticks.

The stick itself, in a physical sense, is an analog design. It reads digital inputs.

The main benefit of sticks just comes down to human anatomy. More parts, more muscles allow you to do the same motions faster with less strain.

What?

*edit*

Very little is ergonomic about an arcade stick design, which is why everyone has different methods of using them - where they rest the base, how they hold the stick, where they place their fingers, etc. If they were truly as anatomically harmonious as you described, everyone would use them similarly, for the most part.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kimosabae said:
Very little is ergonomic about an arcade stick design, which is why everyone has different methods of using them - where they rest the base, how they hold the stick, where they place their fingers, etc. If they were truly as anatomical harmonious as you described, everyone would use them similarly, for the most part.
Weak argument. You're neglecting the simple fact that not everyone's hands are of the same size and proportions.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hitokage said:
Weak argument. You're neglecting the simple fact that not everyone's hands are of the same size and proportions.

No I'm not, Tekno is. Furthermore, an effective ergonomic design would take such fundamental human variations into consideration, no?

Kimosabae said:
Very little is ergonomic about an arcade stick design, which is why everyone has different methods of using them - where they rest the base, how they hold the stick, where they place their fingers, etc. If they were truly as anatomically harmonious as you described, everyone would use them similarly, for the most part.

What he's trying to say is that since you can use your wrist and fingers, you can hit more directions faster than you can with just your thumb on a pad.

There's some movements on stick that have yet to be replicated on pad. A Wave dash in tekken is performed by pressing towards, going back to neutral, then doing a quarter circle forward from down, and then going back to neutral before performing it again.

Now the light dash is pretty much doing 4-6 of those per second. The greatest Tekken player to ever live, Jang Iksu, could do about 8 of those per second effortlessly on a Korean Fanta stick.

Case in point -

>>This isn't going down on pad.<<

Granted, you don't have to be able to do that in any other game, or even in tekken to be competitive, just showing the potential behind proper stick usage.

"Very little is ergonomic about an arcade stick design, which is why everyone has different methods of using them - where they rest the base, how they hold the stick, where they place their fingers, etc. If they were truly as anatomically harmonious as you described, everyone would use them similarly, for the most part."

"No I'm not, Tekno is. Furthermore, an effective ergonomic design would take such fundamental human variations into consideration, no?"

What? There's not really many fundamental human variations to having fingers/wrists (Some exceptions do apply, I suppose) and more muscles/moving parts in the fingers/hand/wrist/arm combination than solely in your thumb. Furthermore, people having varying hand sizes is entirely irrelevant.

"The stick itself, in a physical sense, is an analog design. It reads digital inputs."

I'm not sure how you make this determination.

Kimosabae

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
What he's trying to say is that since you can use your wrist and fingers, you can hit more directions faster than you can with just your thumb on a pad.

There's some movements on stick that have yet to be replicated on pad. A Wave dash in tekken is performed by pressing towards, going back to neutral, then doing a quarter circle forward from down, and then going back to neutral before performing it again.

Now the light dash is pretty much doing 4-6 of those per second. The greatest Tekken player to ever live, Jang Iksu, could do about 8 of those per second effortlessly on a Korean Fanta stick.

Case in point -

>>This isn't going down on pad.<<

Granted, you don't have to be able to do that in any other game, or even in tekken to be competitive, just showing the potential behind proper stick usage.

Yes, Tekken Wavedash is most effective on stick, but as you alluded to in your last sentence, I fail to see how such an arcane technique refutes my argument for purposeful, ergonomic design. No developer of a game would intentionally design such a thing because there's no paradigm in our understanding for it. Intuition lies beyond the interface - it has to dominate the game's design as well (and it does).

Kimosabae said:
Yes, Tekken Wavedash is most effective on stick, but as you alluded to in your last sentence, I fail to see how such an arcane technique refutes my argument for purposeful, ergonomic design.

I'm not commenting on ergonomics. I'm just showing that some things are only possible on stick.

edit - And I can't see how arcade sticks aren't precise. I've used all sorts of control inputs for various game genres, I've never had a problem hitting a direction with an arcade stick, especially with square gates.

Kimosabae

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
What? There's not really many fundamental human variations to having fingers/wrists (Some exceptions do apply, I suppose) and more muscles/moving parts in the fingers/hand/wrist/arm combination than solely in your thumb. Furthermore, people having varying hand sizes is entirely irrelevant.

I agree. That's why I never brought it up.

I'm not sure how you make this determination.

Main Entry: an·a·log
Pronunciation: \&#712;a-n&#601;-&#716;l&#559;g, -&#716;läg\
Function: adjective
Date: 1946
1 : of, relating to, or being an analogue
2 a : of, relating to, or being a mechanism in which data is represented by continuously variable physical quantities b : of or relating to an analog computer c : being a timepiece having hour and minute hands

Bolded definition is the essence of the stick's physical design, no? The stick can be moved analogous to 360 degrees, but only reads data from 8 digital inputs.

Playing SF4 with an arcade stick is akin to playing any 2D fighter with a Gamecube analog stick.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was specifically addressing what Kimosabee said about the existence of multiple ways to use the stick, even if he wasn't properly addressing Tekno's point. To speak to what Tekno said would have me commenting on keeping your thumbs in tension all the time while rubbing them on plastic, which as I mentioned in an earlier post DOES take its toll. To say that pad controllers are fundamentally ergonomic is simply untrue.

Otherwise, you wouldn't have as much disagreement as to what specific pad is best. Obviously proving their failings. :p

Kimosabae

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
I'm not commenting on ergonomics. I'm just showing that some things are only possible on stick.

edit - And I can't see how arcade sticks aren't precise. I've used all sorts of control inputs for various game genres, I've never had a problem hitting a direction with an arcade stick, especially with square gates.

I understand your argument. My argument is that anomalies such as the one you've presented aren't relevant to how games are designed, or even how human beings think.

I'm not saying one can't be relatively precise with an arcade stick. I'm saying they're fundamentally not as precise as digital pads.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kimosabae said:
I'm not saying one can't be relatively precise with an arcade stick. I'm saying they're fundamentally not as precise as digital pads.
The device may be precise(if we're talking cross dpad), but the exercise in thumb sliding is not.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hitokage said:
To say that pad controllers are fundamentally ergonomic is simply untrue.

Otherwise, you wouldn't have as much disagreement as to what specific pad is best. Obviously proving their failings. :p

I never stated controllers were more ergonomic in an absolute sense - only relative to arcade sticks. I think the argument can be made that tactile interface engineers suck in the gaming industry.

You are not very good at being clear with what exactly you're arguing about, Kimosabae. What part of my post, exactly, do you take issue with? There *are* more parts and more muscles in the fingers, hands, wrist, and arms combined. When you use a stick, you use all of those parts combined which lessens the strain and since they have some independence, it is possible to combine them to do complex motions faster by having separate parts do different motions.

Also, posting that definition of analog doesn't clarify you're trying to say as it specifically says analog (in that definition) is determined by how the *data* is represented.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hitokage said:
The device may be precise(if we're talking cross dpad), but the exercise in thumb sliding is not.

Right, but then the question becomes: what are you trying to accomplish with all that thumb sliding?

If the game was designed with a D-Pad in mind, you're likely attempting (or are) breaking the game's design at that point.

Kimosabae said:
I understand your argument. My argument is that anomalies such as the one you've presented aren't relevant to how games are designed, or even how human beings think.

Well, it was an extreme example to show that circular motions are just easier on sticks.

And I don't get where you coming from with the whole precision thing. There's only 8 directions, and any stick user can hit whichever direction he wants at any time. I don't see how it's not precise.

Kimosabae said:
If the game was designed with a D-Pad in mind, you're likely attempting (or are) breaking the game's design at that point.

Does that change the fact that motions are easier to do on a stick? Y u so confusing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dpads and arcade sticks both work on the same paradigm: activating four electronic switches. One has you sliding your thumb around on a swiveling piece of plastic, while the other has you finely manipulating a lever. Given the increased room for error, an arcade stick can actually be MORE precise.

Kimosabae

Banned
Maybe "analog" was the wrong term to use. I was attempting to stretch the term a bit into the physics realm with hopes that it would give my ideas more weight, but now things are getting messy.

Hitokage said:
Given the increased room for error, an arcade stick can actually be MORE precise.

Explain.

Kimosabae

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
And I don't get where you coming from with the whole precision thing. There's only 8 directions, and any stick user can hit whichever direction he wants at any time. I don't see how it's not precise.

Which typically generates a more efficient, quicker response? The pull of a lever, or the push of a button?

Which one is easier?

Does that change the fact that motions are easier to do on a stick? Y u so confusing.

I'm still not sure I'm convinced that's the case.

"Which typically activates a more efficient, quicker response? The pull of a lever, or the push of a button?

But we're not talking about just the pull of a lever or the push of a button. We're talking about more complex movements. Combinations of complex movements, done consecutively in some cases.

Kimosabae

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Which typically activates a more efficient, quicker response? The pull of a lever, or the push of a button?

But we're not talking about just the pull of a lever or the push of a button. We're talking about more complex movements. Combinations of complex movements, done consecutively in some cases.

But in principle, at the core, is that not almost literally the difference? When I still have to move the lever to the 6 position, before 6 can activate, if I want to move forward (6), because the lever itself rests at 5?

On a D-Pad, 6 is directly beneath a button that I can press, to activate more immediately. How is this not the same in principle?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kimosabae said:
Which one is easier?
To execute complex directional and button inputs in precise combinations and strict timing? I'd say stick.

Kimosabae said:
On a D-Pad, 6 is directly beneath a button that I can press, to activate more immediately. How is this not the same in principle?
I find it a little hard to see how pressing "right" on the d-pad is any faster or "more immediate" than flicking your wrist to the right on a stick.

Kimosabae said:
But in principle, at the core, is that not almost literally the difference? When I still have to move the lever to the 6 position, before 6 can activate, if I want to move forward (6), because the lever itself rests at 5?

But you can't limit the definition of precision to one action. There are a lot of input combinations out there, and the majority of them can be performed faster and more accurately on a stick.

I think what you're arguing is which control method presents an easier means to activate a single direction with no regard to the plethora of other motions out there, and then basing precision off of that one facet alone. A fallacy in argument if I may say.

Top Bottom