• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

FindMyFarms said:
Also if you're just standing with balrog, instant divekicks from rufus straight up whiff.

No balrog should complain about rufus divekicks :lol :lol

I'm complaining. :p

Grant it, not every Rufus gets the upperhand on me, just some fat bastards.

On crossups, his divekicks hit. I'll just stand there and jab the shit out of him to see what happens.

Edit: Coo, thanks for the help. I'll check it out in training.

GET MONAY!

black_vegeta said:
Yuppers, I use dat Rawg!

Is it more effective to do standing jab or crouching jab?

Sometimes when Dufus player uses those quick dives kick over and over, it seems like my crouching jab doesn't come out. Then I get thrown or get setup for and ultra afterwards.

If you know they're goin for the divekick, just walk back then st. jab.

arstal said:
Also, SE US isn't as big into Sf4 as the rest of the country. NC for example- 3S and Melty. I think FLA is more HDR and SNK. GA has a lot of SNK also.

That 2 in the chamber is really going to be needed some super. I bet even Ryu will have a bad matchup.

Really, I'm from NC and I have no idea. Well I'm not apart of the local FG community either so of course I wouldn't know jack. BTW, what did you mean with your 2nd paragraph? It didn't quite make sense to me.

hitsugi

FindMyFarms said:
If you know they're goin for the divekick, just walk back then st. jab.

or jump back fierce? I got hit by that a few times as Rufus.. to be honest, I've even been hit out of a demon set up by Rog's jump back fierce (on the way up/back, no less)

hitsugi said:
or jump back fierce? I got hit by that a few times as Rufus.. to be honest, I've even been hit out of a demon set up by Rog's jump back fierce (on the way up/back, no less)

Yeah, that's great. Some Akuma's try to get me with the demon when I'm jumping in...I'll I have to do is a fierce punch to the grill.

hitsugi said:

Nah, jump back fierce is way risky. On the off chance that they don't do instant divekick, you could get caught w/ a forward + roundhouse, jump roundhouse, or empty ultra. Lots of Rufus' are looking for you to do that. Walk back jab is safe because even if you guessed wrong, you can't be punished with ultra.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
Really, I'm from NC and I have no idea. Well I'm not apart of the local FG community either so of course I wouldn't know jack.
You should be!

Which reminds me, I've gotta stop letting life kick my ass and participate more myself. I might give you a free win!

FMF,

What about when Rufus gets you in the corner with repeated divekicks, what's the safest way to get out of that corner? Standing jab still?

I usually EX headbutt, but the risk of that getting blocked and me getting punished is very high.

mannerbot

Lyte Edge said:
Would I be fine with the TE unmodded, though?

If you don't need your stick to be both 360 and PS3 capable, the TE comes with all Sanwa parts. The reason most people mod their SE sticks is to replace the standard Mad Catz stick/buttons with those very same Sanwa parts.

mannerbot said:
If you don't need your stick to be both 360 and PS3 capable, the TE comes with all Sanwa parts. The reason most people mod their SE sticks is to replace the standard Mad Catz stick/buttons with those very same Sanwa parts.

What's the cost difference between a Sanwa modded SE stick compared to the TE?

Threi

notag
black_vegeta said:
FMF,

What about when Rufus gets you in the corner with repeated divekicks, what's the safest way to get out of that corner? Standing jab still?

I usually EX headbutt, but the risk of that getting blocked and me getting punished is very high.

EX Upper?

*edit* A SFIV update:

I am enjoying playing Guiles for some reason (one of Bison's worst matchups) and i'm having big trouble against Ryu players of any skill (lp SRK stops all offense)

bring on SSFIV plz, even if it's for a week, having a break from shoto fighter IV will be worth it.

arstal said:
That 2 in the chamber is really going to be needed some super.

Ha, ha, I made new SF Lingo, two in the chamber. Morton's. Stream Monsters. Now, two in the chamber.

Yeah, not to hate on the next man's fun with a character, take for instance Yeb with Gen, Saqs with Rose, Mike Ross with Honda, but when $1,000 is on the line, you need that two in the chamber to ensure you ain't half steppin.

I play with Ryu, so I'm aiight. He doesn't really have a bad matchup. Same with Sagat or Akuma.

It was sad to see J.Wong adjust to playing Viper but Flash not do the same. Jan and Vegita X got blasted with them SO MUCH DAMAGE roundhouses.

And Lyte, the TE is perfect out of the box. It uses all Sanwa parts. Tip top craftsmanship.

The only modding would be if you wanted to play multi-console. If you're going this route, get the 360 and have someone (or you do it) install a Chimp.

The SE needs to be modded because of the spotty quality control on Madcatz imitation parts. So, you'd have to replace the stick and the buttons ($25 for each). But I think it's a great housing, prefer the artwork and easier to have in your lap (depending on your preference).

black_vegeta said:
FMF,

Yeah ex headbutt is a nono, since if that's blocked rufus gets st. fp xx fp tornado, then either ultra or more shenanigans.

Obviously you have to read your opponent, and there's no "win button" that'll get you out of everything, but ex torpedo blow is pretty good in that situation, since sometimes if they go to high with the dive kick, you can just go underneath them out of the corner. Otherwise, if you get lucky and connect it knocks rufus pretty far away and you can't just walk out of the corner then.

CO_Andy

Even if you ain't into modding Edge Lyte you should take into consideration the ease of changing the front panel art on the TE.

Grifter

In my year of the Akuma/Balrog matchup, switching to Ryu still has worked better against the best Balrogs I know. Makes me a bit sad.

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah ex headbutt is a nono, since if that's blocked rufus gets st. fp xx fp tornado, then either ultra or more shenanigans.

Obviously you have to read your opponent, and there's no "win button" that'll get you out of everything, but ex torpedo blow is pretty good in that situation, since sometimes if they go to high with the dive kick, you can just go underneath them out of the corner. Otherwise, if you get lucky and connect it knocks rufus pretty far away and you can't just walk out of the corner then.

Good deal, thanks!
---------------------------------------------------

Yo, check this is out, WTF happened starting @0:33? I've never seen something like this
O_O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE_UBz32T-4&feature=youtube_gdata

the_log_ride said:
haha blanka activates ultra near sagat; sagat tries ultra himself; blanka hits sagat with ultra, replenishing revenge guage; sagat does ultra again

:lol

Didn't realize that, 3 ultras happened in less than 10 seconds. :lol

Imm0rt4l

BotoxAgent said:
I love J.Wong, but someone's gotta beat this guy in a tourney at least once, who is not named Daigo.

hm, wait...I think Marn beat him in a tourney right?
yea he did. The tourney was outside iirc, ppl were missing links all over the place, they blamed it on their cold hands.

I got some hate mail last night. We haven't had a hate mail post in a while so I said, why the hell not.

Heres the story, I play Ken(who I've been spending a vast majority of my time with) and he plays Bison. Every game I start off with the same strategy, "lets see if this guy can block cross ups". So I cross him up, he doesn't block it correctly so I do my BnB jab, jab, SRK or short, jab, SRK. I did mostly jab , jab, SRK so I think that's the part that he considered mashing. He continues to not block my cross ups so I rinse and repeat with the same 2 combos till I win. Then he sends me this

EasyCapture1.jpg

I was in a match so I didn't check it out yet, but before I even finished that match he sends me this

EasyCapture2.jpg

I play nice like I always do and say have a nice day and remember to move your clock ahead by a hour with a smiley face. He then sends his 3rd and final message to me

EasyCapture4.jpg

I had a good laugh but something I don't do is try to get under peoples skin even more. I kind of wish I did just to see how he reacted. So if one of you PC guys run into this guy and you know how to play Ken then just cross his ass up for a free win and enjoys the following messages :lol

haha nice one, Rice. 'Feels good to get hatemail like that. Depending on how angry they get, I'll reply calling them Morton, and asking them to pass me some salt for my Gorton's fishsticks. They never understand the references and just get even more pissed off. :lol

"I love J.Wong, but someone's gotta beat this guy in a tourney at least once, who is not named Daigo."

Gootecks beat him at Final Round, I think? One of the very first tournaments right after console hit.

Rice-Eater said:
I got some hate mail last night. We haven't had a hate mail post in a while so I said, why the hell not.

Heres the story, I play Ken(who I've been spending a vast majority of my time with) and he plays Bison. Every game I start off with the same strategy, "lets see if this guy can block cross ups". So I cross him up, he doesn't block it correctly so I do my BnB jab, jab, SRK or short, jab, SRK. I did mostly jab , jab, SRK so I think that's the part that he considered mashing. He continues to not block my cross ups so I rinse and repeat with the same 2 combos till I win. Then he sends me this

EasyCapture1.jpg

I was in a match so I didn't check it out yet, but before I even finished that match he sends me this

EasyCapture2.jpg

I play nice like I always do and say have a nice day and remember to move your clock ahead by a hour with a smiley face. He then sends his 3rd and final message to me

EasyCapture4.jpg

I had a good laugh but something I don't do is try to get under peoples skin even more. I kind of wish I did just to see how he reacted. So if one of you PC guys run into this guy and you know how to play Ken then just cross his ass up for a free win and enjoys the following messages :lol

When did you convert to Kenneth?

I haven't received any hatemail in a while. The last I remembered was from a Rose player sometime last year who complained that I spammed short short short scissors.

I'm starting to get hatemail more often as my Rawg is starting to level up.

I got short one yesterday. I beat this guy quickly and effectively.

WizzenYapper: That's gay

Me: u mad? Not my fault you can't block.

WizzenYapper: That message was gay.

Me: Your birth was gay

WizzenYapper: That was a good one

I mean fuck, if you get your ass handed to you knowing that you suck balls, why go through the trouble trying to start shit? People...

Heavy's Sandvich said:
When did you convert to Kenneth?

I dabbled around last December but finally kicked it into full gear this January. Basically I had been playing Ryu almost exclusively since release. I finally wanted to try someone else but quickly learned that I'm actually incapable of playing anything other then Shoto's. So I give Akuma and Ken a shot. Sure Akuma is a beast but I found it hard to win with him because I didn't know how to use all his tools. I simply became another runaway Akuma and I hate playing like that.

Then I start playing Ken and quickly realize that his style fits me more, which is very aggressive. His step kick allows me to close in on turtles/runaways and his faster fierce DP recovery allows me to continue jumping in after a knockdown. It's like I have my own little vortex because Ken's cross ups can be ambiguous. Add in some mix ups and when I have my first knockdown I've been able to keep them down until they're dizzy or dead. It's funny because even guys with "Rush King" as there title start running from me as soon as the next round starts :lol

I have to give credit to Max though for inspiring me to take up Ken. I loved watching how relentless he is, even against some of the best players in the nation. As for Ryu, he's my favorite character and I will always play him but it's just that Ken in SF4 is more fun for me and suits my style more. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience.

As for Justin losing to Gootecks. That was a previous tournament, Justin won Final Round XII last year.

Swag

Can anyone comment on the PC community presence of this game? I got it originally on the PS3 but traded it in because my friends didn't get into it.

Wanna get it on PC now that I'm not scared of the requirements, but I never thought a game like this would flourish on the PC as much as consoles.

Sebulon3k said:
Can anyone comment on the PC community presence of this game? I got it originally on the PS3 but traded it in because my friends didn't get into it.

Wanna get it on PC now that I'm not scared of the requirements, but I never thought a game like this would flourish on the PC as much as consoles.

I really like the PC version. If you're only playing online, there is a healthy community and the net code is pretty good. Two bar connections are often lag free for me or at least minimal enough that I don't really notice it. The community isn't huge but it's big enough and surprisingly it's more populated then the PS3 version from my experience. There are a number of GAF'ers to if you wanted to play some familiar faces.

Speaking of Eduardo, he was involved in probably the biggest choke job in the history of SF4 grand finals. I dare anyone to come up with another video that's even worse and fits that criteria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbiHYpU50Y&feature=related#t=3m13s

Skullkid

I like to play as Gen, and I've gotten hatemail a few times. The last time was hilarious. The guy was cursing me out and accusing me of using a "programmable joystick". I think it was because I was doing mk to hands. His message was something like, "use a gamepad you #$@#, not a programmable joytick since it just shows how much you suck you dipsh!t."

Even weirder is that I've had two Akuma players send messages to taunt BEFORE the match begins. They will say, "I am Shin Akuma, prepare for destruction" or something like that. At least I beat both of them. :D

I never respond to the hatemail - just read, laugh, and delete. At least most people that send mail on PSN are cool.

Swag

Rice-Eater said:
I really like the PC version. If you're only playing online, there is a healthy community and the net code is pretty good. Two bar connections are often lag free for me or at least minimal enough that I don't really notice it. The community isn't huge but it's big enough and surprisingly it's more populated then the PS3 version from my experience. There are a number of GAF'ers to if you wanted to play some familiar faces.

Thanks a lot for the advice :), will pick this up off Steam when SSF4 comes out then

BitchTits

Skullkid said:
I like to play as Gen, and I've gotten hatemail a few times. The last time was hilarious. The guy was cursing me out and accusing me of using a "programmable joystick". I think it was because I was doing mk to hands. His message was something like, "use a gamepad you #$@#, not a programmable joytick since it just shows how much you suck you dipsh!t."

Even weirder is that I've had two Akuma players send messages to taunt BEFORE the match begins. They will say, "I am Shin Akuma, prepare for destruction" or something like that. At least I beat both of them. :D

I never respond to the hatemail - just read, laugh, and delete. At least most people that send mail on PSN are cool.
I've never had hate mail about Gen, but get "Wow!" type messages pretty often. Gen is a bit flashy, so even if you completely trash someone, they usually get some entertainment out of it at least :D
Had some "You are fucking sad"/"you are shit" messages from people who I've perfected or something. I am quite cheeky though taunting when they're dizzy and such, so I guess I deserve it.

EX Soul Reflect + Akumas EX Red Fireball = Rose's Taunt #4 (turn and giggle) :lol

zlatko

Banned
black_vegeta said:
I'm starting to get hatemail more often as my Rawg is starting to level up.

I got short one yesterday. I beat this guy quickly and effectively.

WizzenYapper: That's gay

Me: u mad? Not my fault you can't block.

WizzenYapper: That message was gay.

Me: Your birth was gay

WizzenYapper: That was a good one

I mean fuck, if you get your ass handed to you knowing that you suck balls, why go through the trouble trying to start shit? People...

I actually understand when people send you hate mail when you win. But on the PS3 is the ONLY time I've ever gotten trash talk messages when I LOST. Why the hell do you gotta talk crap when you won for god sakes? That just blows my mind how stupid and immature some people really are.

The worst part about that scenario is I've had my 360 and Live for 2 years now and that has NEVER happened that when I lost in anything people send me hate mail. This is especially disturbing considering that I would bet if you took an age survey of both Live and PSN trash talkers that the majority are kids on Live yet they don't hate mail me when I lost.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
As Justin and I were going to the airport... he told me...

"Man when I found out you were going, I was worried... because it meant I'd have to take one of these big boxes home"... him referring to a TE stick box... lol

! What a dick!

Good job by him though...

Yeah, I was looking at the results thread on SRK. And he just about had top three in almost every game. Ridiculous how that Wong is so good. It's funny, he moved to the West Coast but what if...he had moved to Japan. He's smart when it comes to games, and I'm sure he could've become a major tournament threat over there over time.

I really wanted to see that Westcoast Warzone 3 (Valle vs. Wong).

And Devastation guys, let's get hyped. Find, Spiderjericho, Galactic, AZGreg, Markman are going. Who else?

Rice-Eater said:

Speaking of Eduardo, he was involved in probably the biggest choke job in the history of SF4 grand finals. I dare anyone to come up with another video that's even worse and fits that criteria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbiHYpU50Y&feature=related#t=3m13s
Alex Valle vs Marn @ West Coast Warzone?

Threi

notag
actually I have gotten quite a bit of hatemail and ragequits on the PC version, might as well post em :lol

29kw9ky.jpg

I mean I don't even use guile much...

wrjjpw.png

This one was funny, I baited a wakeup ultra because he was dumb enough to think i would go right up to him and risk the chip

21n1wr7.png

It was laggy to be fair (his connection) but eh...he mad.

There was more but I couldn't be bothered to screencap every person...made me feel like a bit of a jerk.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
today i beat some dude 5 or 6 straight with guile and ryu, then beat him with abel, and he sends me a message telling me my abel sucks. i mean, my abel does suck, but still

I usually send the hatemail before the other person gets a chance :lol :lol

Teknopathetic said:
"I love J.Wong, but someone's gotta beat this guy in a tourney at least once, who is not named Daigo."

Gootecks beat him at Final Round, I think? One of the very first tournaments right after console hit.

Wong didn't win SBO quals in Houston last year, him and LI Joe got ocv'd by Jan. Jon Lo (sagat lol) and Fubar ended up winning the tourney. Jan didn't really stand a chance against a sagat/akuma team.

Top Bottom