• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Dude had a pretty big life lead that last round. I don't get why he kept pushing it instead of sitting back and letting Wong make a move.

Btw, does it say banned from chat for everyone? I was chatting fine last night!?

Everyone's pullin a fast one on my boys from the south! Veg-x gots it tho!
Rice-Eater said:
Too bad he didn't counter pick in return. Does Jan has too much pride or belief in his main or is it just ethics? It's just too bad that even the best player in our country will resort to tactics like this.

Nah it's jsut that even if jan won with Abel, then wong would switch to rufus and Jan doesn't know the abel/Rufus matchup, which is just as bad as sagat/gief. So he just stuck with his best character.

Bye Zangief. It's been real. You lost to one button (and random uppercuts).

At least, Justin is going to have to go through Marn and Flash to get that fight money.

Ducks

I have a quick question for SF-GAF. I am currently without online or any friends who play SF, can one get good at the game by simply playing single player a lot?

I know I'm not going to go pro or anything doing that, but I'm pretty much a complete beginner to fighting games and would like to get better before I start playing online. Basically wondering if there are any tried and true methods for getting good without multi player.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with counter picking. Of all characters to main... if you're going to main Gief you better an answer (a secondary) that can combat Sagats. You're going to run into them if they're counter picks or not. I guess haters gonna hate.

Also, that Gief had a ton of chances to win rounds. He would have a huge life lead, and instead of making the sagat make a move, he would keep pressing Sagat and eating s.roundhouse. Not very smart.

Ducks said:
I have a quick question for SF-GAF. I am currently without online or any friends who play SF, can one get good at the game by simply playing single player a lot?

I know I'm not going to go pro or anything doing that, but I'm pretty much a complete beginner to fighting games and would like to get better before I start playing online. Basically wondering if there are any tried and true methods for getting good without multi player.

Thanks

No. You can get your combos down in training mode, but that is only a small part of the game. CPU isn't going to help you learn about matchups and strats. I would say just to pick it up, and spend some time in training mode learning combos. If you're actually going to get online and play eventually that can't hurt.

Best method to getting good. Playing people better than you, losing a lot, and learning from it.

Ducks said:

Thanks

I'm no pro nor am I even at the upper echelon of GAF'ers, but it's impossible to become good without real competition. All you can do right now is practice on your execution. But even if you walk into a tournament(or just casual play against good players) with the best execution in the world, you'll be killed easily. There are so many things that you need to know like match ups, mix ups, how safe moves are, and so on.

If there is a local scene, then join it. If online is all you got then go in there, get your ass whooped a lot and improve from it. There are some players who have made a name for themselves that started out as a online player. So it's not impossible, just more unlikely that way.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Ducks said:

Thanks

You can get to a certain point via single player/training mode but eventually you'll hit a wall I think. If you play against the CPU you'll start to develop bad habits to exploit the AI, which is something you want to avoid. In training mode you can develop a lot of solid skills though, so I would pour the majority of your offline training in that and in trial mode to learn some basic combos and stuff.

In training mode, set the CPU to random block so that you can practice reacting to when the CPU doesn't block an attack. That's a really good thing to practice if you don't have anyone around to play with.

WOW, isn't this only the 2nd time Justin's been knocked out in a SF4 tournament by a American since early 2009?

EDIT: WTF, this is still Justin? LOL, oops, forget what I just said.

J.Wong with the counter pick again. Flash doesn't seem that adept at the Boxer matchup. But good stuff on grounding his Rufus.

Ducks, playing the CPU isn't going to help you improve. You'll get in the bad habit of memorizing their patterns or thinking the things you can use to abuse them will work on a human opponent. The best practice right now is online or local ranbats.

Yup. Oh well, it was anti-climatic anyways.

Gotta give it up to Shin Blanka for putting on a great show. It's like midnight over there.

J.Wong is still the best player in the country.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Ducks said:

Thanks
Depends on what you mean by "complete beginner" but you're going to have to cross the execution barrier sooner or later. So if you can't find human competition, then now would be a good time to focus on getting the execution side of it down. Learn cancels, reversals, combos, FADC timings, all that stuff.

You can learn a lot of strategy by yourself too, just by reading info online and watching match videos, but you'll improve much faster if you have someone giving you direct advice catered to your style of play.

DryEyeRelief said:
8-1 Justin. Christ.

Got real boring near the end, unfortunately for the PR Rog he became too predictable too quick. He really needed to mix it up instead of doing the walk up jab into tick throws, once Justin figured that out it was free money. Granted not much left in the arsenal (his rush punches were being thrown as well), maybe a surprise overhead into ultra would have helped him get a match or 2.

Rocwell

Damn that was solid play as usual from Justin. I was impressed with how he turned that match with Flash around after switching to Balrog; completely shut his game down. Yeah he counterpicked a few people but I'd counterpick Mother Teresa for $1800. :lol

FR was alright, the best part was getting to see a lot of new talent from all over the place. The worst part was having to listen to that "shizz" bullshit nonstop for hours at a time.

Well, they were trying to be PG about it for the sponsors (whoever that was). Potty mouth doesn't pay the bills.

And I enjoyed the multitude of games on display, Tekken 6, KOF 2002UM, Meltyblood, SFIV, MVC2 (even though I switched the channel) and TVC.

The Tekken finals were hype. And up until the Grand Finals, SF was enjoyable.

Too bad HDR got the shaft.

And yeah, better have two in the chamber if you're going to play in a tournament, just in case you get counter picked.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
And yeah, better have two in the chamber if you're going to play in a tournament, just in case you get counter picked.

Final ROund really exemplified that point more than any other tournament I've seen. Seems like shit was so random people just wernt taking any chances.

Than again Rashaan tried to counter pick a Gief player as Seth and lost. :\

I love J.Wong, but someone's gotta beat this guy in a tourney at least once, who is not named Daigo.

hm, wait...I think Marn beat him in a tourney right?

I'm going to do my migration from Saturn pad warrior to TE stick.
I ordered a Round 2 TE stick of amazon.ca (PS3)

now, I just have to wait for my new TV because I am without a TV now for over a week :( ''profound sadness''

gutter_trash said:
I'm going to do my migration from Saturn pad warrior to TE stick.
I ordered a Round 2 TE stick of amazon.ca (PS3)

now, I just have to wait for my new TV because I am without a TV now for over a week :( ''profound sadness''

Good luck with the transition to stick, man.

edit: sick new avatar, Haunts

hitsugi

BotoxAgent said:
I love J.Wong, but someone's gotta beat this guy in a tourney at least once, who is not named Daigo.

hm, wait...I think Marn beat him in a tourney right?

bingo.

seems like SF4 is really dead at the moment D: yet we still have.. a month and a half or so(?) to super

zlatko

Banned
MarkMan said:
I'm so sleepy.

Final Round was a blast!

I gotta wake up in 3 hours and fly out, then straight to work.

;)

Thanks for the link last night to that 30% off on SF TE sticks. I fought temptation as long as I could, but in the end caved in and spent the 105 for a Round 2 TE stick for my 360. :D

Now I have to get that money back on the credit card fast, before I need it for something like "food" or "gas."

Something weird happened in training mode.
I was practicing my Chun Ultra through fireballs when I hit Ryu as he was recovering from a fireball. But since I didn't dash that time, he only got hit twice. So he goes for another fireball while I'm still doing my ultra and I catch him with my last two hits or so. Then Chun did that kick that would knock him in the air, but she didn't follow up with kikouken bird kick, so Ryu fell from the top of the screen extremely slowly.
I think he was in a juggle state as well. Tried to do it for another five minutes or so to juggle with super, but no avail.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
you play Balrog right?

jab the fat bastard out of it and for exJesus

Also if you're just standing with balrog, instant divekicks from rufus straight up whiff.

No balrog should complain about rufus divekicks :lol :lol

hitsugi said:
bingo.

seems like SF4 is really dead at the moment D: yet we still have.. a month and a half or so(?) to super

You mean dead as in the excitement or dead as in the number of participants. If it's participants then as Farms pointed it, it had more then last year when the number of players were already huge. As for the excitement, call it the Justin Wong factor. When he plays, it's almost like everybody else is playing for 2nd place. From watching the stream it got really hyped and loud when Flash was doing a number of Justin's Rufus. Then he switches to Rog and rapes Flash and then Eduard in Grand Finals and every thing dies down.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Rice-Eater said:
You mean dead as in the excitement or dead as in the number of participants. If it's participants then as Farms pointed it, it had more then last year when the number of players were already huge. As for the excitement, call it the Justin Wong factor. When he plays, it's almost like everybody else is playing for 2nd place. From watching the stream it got really hyped and loud when Flash was doing a number of Justin's Rufus. Then he switches to Rog and rapes Flash and then Eduard in Grand Finals and every thing dies down.

Also, SE US isn't as big into Sf4 as the rest of the country. NC for example- 3S and Melty. I think FLA is more HDR and SNK. GA has a lot of SNK also.

That 2 in the chamber is really going to be needed some super. I bet even Ryu will have a bad matchup.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Spiderjericho said:
Yeah, that's a good price for the SE.

Let me just say, the TE>SE. The cable compartment, weight, 24mm start and select buttons, etc.

Would I be fine with the TE unmodded, though?

But for the $45 price, it's a good deal. And some people don't like to use sticks, so this'll give you exposure to the stick insanity. It takes a little while to get used to them. If you discover you like the control it gives, upgrade to the buttons and stick.

There's a thread on modding the 15th. If you're good with electronics/circuit boards, it shouldn't be too hard.

LOL, it went up to $50. :( (EDIT: nope, the link you posted has it for $45, searching for the same thing turns it up at $50. Weird!)

I don't have a problem with sticks and in Japan was going back and forth to the arcades and then playing at home with pads, no problem. I've never been as comfortable playing with sticks outside of arcades, however. That's what I need to get used to.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
you play Balrog right?

jab the fat bastard out of it and for exJesus

Yuppers, I use dat Rawg!

Is it more effective to do standing jab or crouching jab?

Sometimes when Dufus player uses those quick dives kick over and over, it seems like my crouching jab doesn't come out. Then I get thrown or get setup for and ultra afterwards.

Top Bottom