• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, if you see a hooligan coming you can just jab, sweep, st HP, whatever, although crouching pokes are probably safer.

Imm0rt4l

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Cammy, Blanka, Guile and yes...Vega for me

no problems for Guile or Vega for me personally. Fuck Blanka....seriously, I think Bison is pretty tough too, 6-4 I think but just about anyone with a really good rushdown can be a problem for Gouken. Because of this I find Ken to be tougher than Ryu

Arde5643 said:
I always thought Fuerte was a very tough match-up for Gouken.
I thought it was too, but I find him to be very easy as of late, the only real time fuerte is a problem is on goukens wake up in which he doesn't have too many good options. His back dash is mostly useless, but ex demonflip is a God send for him, Gouken would be totally garbage without it, but it still is a shitty move because of the tracking.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
A month before Super's release and... I finally sat down to beat Gen's last hard trial in vanilla. :lol

I could never figure out how to get hands to cancel into his super, so I linked MK hands, MK xx Super after the s.MP instead.

ExMachina said:
A month before Super's release and... I finally sat down to beat Gen's last hard trial in vanilla. :lol

I could never figure out how to get hands to cancel into his super, so I linked MK hands, MK xx Super after the s.MP instead.

Congrats man... I gonna try that myself to compare against the way they have it in the trial

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Imm0rt4l said:
no problems for Guile or Vega for me personally. Fuck Blanka....seriously, I think Bison is pretty tough too, 6-4 I think but just about anyone with a really good rushdown can be a problem for Gouken. Because of this I find Ken to be tougher than Ryu

I thought it was too, but I find him to be very easy as of late, the only real time fuerte is a problem is on goukens wake up in which he doesn't have too many good options. His back dash is mostly useless, but ex demonflip is a God send for him, Gouken would be totally garbage without it, but it still is a shitty move because of the tracking.

Bison is fun, yea it is his fight. i found Vegas hard to keep up with, if i manage to get in their head, fine, but the normals, his quick jump in...just frustrating.

i still find Ryu tougher than Ken, i cant really put my finger on why

Blanka can go to hell

AZ Greg

GGs to everyone I played last night.

Mini-rant time. And let me preface this by saying, yes, I realize it's online play and nothing is really on the line and it shouldn't really be taken too seriously, etc... But does anyone else ever get annoyed by online players' willingness to turn everything into a 50/50? And I'm not talking about the relatively safe ones (Fuerte, Chun hazanshu/sweep mix-up, Zangief mix-up, Shoto blocked tatsu -> srk with meter to keep it safe, etc...). I'm also not talking about the 50/50s that are less risky due to the other player being overly predictable.

For example, and all these occurred under the same conditions (Deciding round and both players near KO), this Balrog I was facing uses his first TAP of the match, I block it and go with Vega's cr.MP, but he immediately went into Ultra after the blocked TAP. I get caught with my hand in the cookie jar and it's GG. Another was vs. a Blanka. I'm spacing him and trying to score a little damage. I hit him with a near max. range cr.MP and then go for a max. range st.MK. Between the two pokes he mashes out electricity and I'm done. Then there was a Bison player who I was keeping out of his cr.LK/cr.MK range but close enough to make his slide unsafe. Needless to say, after a little dancing around he goes for the slide. I block, punish, and win.

All these situations are nothing more than a roll of the dice. Their guess hits and they win, it doesn't and they lose. Like I said, if their guess was based on me being overly predictable, or if the gamble was because they were getting pummeled and had to take a chance, then I would understand. But with nothing really on the line they're fine with deciding the match on a coin flip. Amongst the obvious reasons, one of the things I'm looking most forward to with regards to the lobby system in SSF4 is that the fear of being sent to the end of the line should hopefully affect the gambling mindset so many players seem to have. Of course some will still take the gamble and just quit if they lose, but something is better than nothing.

XenoRaven

AZ Greg said:
GGs to everyone I played last night.

Mini-rant time. And let me preface this by saying, yes, I realize it's online play and nothing is really on the line and it shouldn't really be taken too seriously, etc... But does anyone else ever get annoyed by online players' willingness to turn everything into a 50/50? And I'm not talking about the relatively safe ones (Fuerte, Chun hazanshu/sweep mix-up, Zangief mix-up, Shoto blocked tatsu -> srk with meter to keep it safe, etc...). I'm also not talking about the 50/50s that are less risky due to the other player being overly predictable.

For example, and all these occurred under the same conditions (Deciding round and both players near KO), this Balrog I was facing uses his first TAP of the match, I block it and go with Vega's cr.MP, but he immediately went into Ultra after the blocked TAP. I get caught with my hand in the cookie jar and it's GG. Another was vs. a Blanka. I'm spacing him and trying to score a little damage. I hit him with a near max. range cr.MP and then go for a max. range st.MK. Between the two pokes he mashes out electricity and I'm done. Then there was a Bison player who I was keeping out of his cr.LK/cr.MK range but close enough to make his slide unsafe. Needless to say, after a little dancing around he goes for the slide. I block, punish, and win.

All these situations are nothing more than a roll of the dice. Their guess hits and they win, it doesn't and they lose. Like I said, if their guess was based on me being overly predictable, or if the gamble was because they were getting pummeled and had to take a chance, then I would understand. But with nothing really on the line they're fine with deciding the match on a coin flip. Amongst the obvious reasons, one of the things I'm looking most forward to with regards to the lobby system in SSF4 is that the fear of being sent to the end of the line should hopefully affect the gambling mindset so many players seem to have. Of course some will still take the gamble and just quit if they lose, but something is better than nothing.
Well with the Rog example, that's just a combination of the nature of Ultra combos and people sucking at the game. I do what you're talking about, because I suck and can't think of other ways to win. Also, the pressure of an end of the round situation gets to me and I just throw out BS sometimes and hope it hits. I can understand the frustration. It's annoying when you get hit with some random attack that is stupidly unsafe. But that's how some people roll. All-or-nothing crazy desperation attacks.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I think its only magnafied because its a round winner. During the course of a match situations like that pop up over and over again.

@ AZ Greg, I'm just glad I was finally able to win a set against your cursed Vega. :D

Also, sorry about me not playing mid-match. I had to help my wife out real quick.

MIMIC

Banned
I don't get it. How can a person I play be so recklessly shitty, and then all of a sudden pull off (Ryu) c.MK > EX Fireball > FADC > Ultra?

Shenanigans?

MIMIC said:
I don't get it. How can a person I play be so recklessly shitty, and then all of a sudden pull off (Ryu) c.MK > EX Fireball > FADC > Ultra?

Shenanigans?

Dat sandbagging son.

He or she wanted to give you the impression that they sucked balls, then when you were relaxed and thinking you had it in the bag...BAM, Daigo type combos!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MIMIC said:

Shenanigans?

I do it all the time. I always play crappy but step my game up during later rounds/matches. :lol

Any pc players fancy a few scrubby matches with me? I been playing around with akuma since I only just got around to unlocking him (yeah yeah) as I play online more then arcade, I still suck though.

AZ Greg

PhatSaqs said:
I think its only magnafied because its a round winner. During the course of a match situations like that pop up over and over again.

Definitely. The gambles that take place throughout a match make sense. Especially when you take into account the character match-up, the life discrepancy, etc... It just always surprises me when people take the same gambles when it isn't just a chunk of life on the line but rather the match, if they guess incorrectly.

One other thing I've been wondering, and you block string heavy character players are probably the best people to answer this. When you guys jump in with an attack are you ever committed to a throw attempt regardless of the jump-in attack hitting or not? I've noticed that a lot of people will land a jump-in attack, usually as the result of me doing something stupid like throwing a poorly spaced fireball, then they'll do a crouching jab/short at which time I'm thinking here comes massive damage, but then they just throw me. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Or are they just poor at hit confirming/desperate for damage? Unfortunately, I never expect it and don't even attempt a throw tech. :(

black_vegeta said:
Oh yes, it has been mentioned that the trials are a pain and take alot of dedication when trying to complete them. As for myself, it took 2 good months(not everyday, but at least 4 hour sessions doing trials) to complete them all.

Those things are all about timing and good execution. I recommend doing Abel, Viper, Fuerte's, and Gen's last since in my opiion are the most difficult. Don't give up and once you finish them, you'll feel a HUGE sense of accomplishment.
yeah but I can't even pull off zangief's super or ultra, I feel like I'm retarded

AZ Greg said:
Definitely. The gambles that take place throughout a match make sense. Especially when you take into account the character match-up, the life discrepancy, etc... It just always surprises me when people take the same gambles when it isn't just a chunk of life on the line but rather the match, if they guess incorrectly.

One other thing I've been wondering, and you block string heavy character players are probably the best people to answer this. When you guys jump in with an attack are you ever committed to a throw attempt regardless of the jump-in attack hitting or not? I've noticed that a lot of people will land a jump-in attack, usually as the result of me doing something stupid like throwing a poorly spaced fireball, then they'll do a crouching jab/short at which time I'm thinking here comes massive damage, but then they just throw me. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Or are they just poor at hit confirming/desperate for damage? Unfortunately, I never expect it and don't even attempt a throw tech. :(

Playing online, this game just teaches you to mash the throw tech OS, and then throwing becomes ingrained in you. I think the fact that it's quick and does 130+ damage is good enough for most people, hell back in August I used to punish a missed SRK or something with throw :p I had to rinse that out of my system because I would keep getting jumped over and then eat a Demon or SRK while I'm trying to tech :lol

I basically learned the hard way that sometimes it's just better to eat a throw every once in a while.

Edit: Tathanen, I just finished emailing Capcom about that :lol Waiting on a reply, I'm in the same boat as you. They better git2it.

Anyone know if you can tie 1 credit card to multiple PSN accounts? I don't want to put my other one on a new account or buy a 20$ PSN card for a 6 dollar purchase :/

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So I get all excited to buy the discounted full character costume pack on PSN today in prep for SSF4, only to find that because I redeemed my voucher for the brawler pack that came with the collector's edition, the complete pack is FOREVER GONE for me, and thus the discount nonexistent. I'd have to buy every other pack individually, totaling nearly triple the price of the discounted complete pack.

Who's brilliant fucking idea was this.

Tathanen said:
So I get all excited to buy the discounted full character costume pack on PSN today in prep for SSF4, only to find that because I redeemed my voucher for the brawler pack that came with the collector's edition, the complete pack is FOREVER GONE for me, and thus the discount nonexistent. I'd have to buy every other pack individually, totaling nearly triple the price of the discounted complete pack.

Who's brilliant fucking idea was this.

Could you not set up a new account on your ps3 and purchase the costumes with that?

Probably won't work though, maybe those costumes are tied to that account, worth a go.

AdamMPSP

I was watching the Giant Bomb livestream of SSFIV a couple nights ago, and they were riffing on Guile's intro, and so I made this 10 second vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAB75JvCLj0

Okay, time to see if I can learn to even throw a hadouken with the fancy tournament stick I bought for some reason I don't understand, because I suck at Street Fighter. :D

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
AZ Greg said:
Let's play and you can capture all you want. :)

Or is your 360 still "broken"? ;D

PSN only for now.

I wanna play some L4D2 mp but I can't. Getting owned by zombies alone isn't fun. :(

AZ Greg said:

Sometimes, I do it for some quick damage.

However I use it mostly so I gather up my thoughts and think out my next attack strat. The throw animation for Rawg is long enough to slow the pace of the match down for me so I can gather my bearings...

AZ Greg

Kadey said:
PSN only for now.

:(

Hey, do you still post/visit the 1UP/NGR boards? I haven't been there since it went to shit a few years ago, but I remember there being a lot of SF players there. I know some have found their way here, but it'd be cool to throw it down with some of the OGs over XBL when SSF4 hits, if they're still posting.

Grifter

whoa my new connection is speedtesting thru the roof (relatively). surely, that means sf4 will run at offline speed. lol. anyone up for a set at around 10est?

AZ Greg said:
:(

Hey, do you still post/visit the 1UP/NGR boards? I haven't been there since it went to shit a few years ago, but I remember there being a lot of SF players there. I know some have found their way here, but it'd be cool to throw it down with some of the OGs over XBL when SSF4 hits, if they're still posting.

I have a 1up account, and me and Kadey reply to each other's blogs :) But avoid the 1up boards, it's all about GAF when it comes to that.

can anyone give me matchup tips with Cammy vs Bison? Dictator players are giving my cammy a hard time :-( I have a lot of trouble pinning them down with pressure.

MIMIC

Banned
black_vegeta said:
Dat sandbagging son.

He or she wanted to give you the impression that they sucked balls, then when you were relaxed and thinking you had it in the bag...BAM, Daigo type combos!

Well he lost every single match we played. It really threw me off for a second though =p That's a very risky ploy, especially against someone who isn't a n00b

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
FindMyFarms said:
Sakura's gotta be the worst character in the game :/

uh oh
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRMS!

35d5gz9.png

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I practiced SF4 all week just so I won't get beat up by random scrubs at PAX East.

I'm gonna put the hurt on people while I'm showing off my new sticks *mad face* !

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
anyone ever get the impression that markman might be a serial streaker? he sure likes to show off his stick all over the world.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MarkMan said:
I practiced SF4 all week just so I won't get beat up by random scrubs at PAX East.

I'm gonna put the hurt on people while I'm showing off my new sticks *mad face* !

win or lose, the answer is the same "i dont even play this game! did you know i beat koreas best in tekken 6?"

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Imm0rt4l said:
was right about to say inb4 pandaman, but I'm too late.
now if he had said sakuras fireball was the worst in the game, i'd agree. its almost as bad as c
law....

I have a announcement guys. For the first time in my life, I'm going to buy a book and plan on reading "most" of it. Depending how how good each section is, I may even read the entire thing. Like I said, I've never done such a thing before, some of you guys may consider that sad. But it just goes to show how much I love a certain franchise to do something like this for the first time in my life.

BTW, it's this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811865002/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom