• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Capt'n Farrell said:
well, I'm still stuck with the "easy" ones. I keep telling myself that these trials are a MUST in order to truly master a character. I bet in two or three years, I'm even capable of winning once in a while...
combos alone don't win matches!

Grifter

Can I get some input on community building? A guy in a neighboring region contacted me about running a circuit with big cash prizes at the end, something to unite all the regional pockets of players we have here. Our issues (not too far off from other small groups):

- Good, but flaky, uncommitted players (not sure what to do here besides where we've done lately, bribe them with food)
- No good venue - we actually have a possibly awesome venue but a) the owner wants a $10 event fee and b) they only have HDTVs, which will piss off hardcores...not sure if their computer monitors are better w/latency cuz we have a few VGA cables

MIMIC

Banned
So I just bought this game really cheap so I could get some practice before Super hits. But MY GOD I'm having a hard time with those trials. Most moves and combos seem straight up impossible to me...
I have the Hori EX2 stick, and I've never used an arcade Stick to play a Fighter before, which is probably my problem.

I finished all of the trials on the 360 controller. NO EXCUSES! =p

well, I'm still stuck with the "easy" ones. I keep telling myself that these trials are a MUST in order to truly master a character. I bet in two or three years, I'm even capable of winning once in a while...

I'd say that only certain trials are a must; most of them are there simply because they are hard to execute (Capcom: Bet'cha can't do this!) Plus, it's one thing to complete a trial.....and it's another to do it in an actual match. >_<

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capt'n Farrell said:

They aren't a must, but just the practice of failing trails over and over do help. Every time you screw up performing one of the trials, your fingers get closer to memorizing the patterns and motions in order to perform complex combos. Even the long, prohibitively difficult combos in the hard trials can be broken down into useful chunks that you'll be able to perform with consistency.

MIMIC said:
I finished all of the trials on the 360 controller. NO EXCUSES! =p

I'd say that only certain trials are a must; most of them are there simply because they are hard to execute (Capcom: Bet'cha can't do this!) Plus, it's one thing to complete a trial.....and it's another to do it in an actual match. >_<

Got any advice? I'm currently stuck on Viper's 3rd trial. It makes me want to weep. As someone who pretty much has never played Viper, the thought of canceling a jump cancel into Ultra boggles my mind.

YakiSOBA said:

This is how I do it.

First determine your range, you have to stand far enough away that a regular jump in will have you land in there front side. But I personally go for what looks like a deep jump in BTW. So of course they're going to block in that direction unless they notice the cross up hurricane. Now the hurricane has to be done while Ryu is beginning to descend from the peak of his jump in against most characters. You can do it when Ryu is at the peak of his jump against bigger characters like Sagat or Seth, but as I said most will need you to do it as he starts to descend from the peak of his jump.

Heres a little exercise you can try. This is something I saw from Ryu players like Daigo, they'll do cr. MP twice and then go for the cross up tatsu. Do it in the training room, it doesn't matter if the dummy is blocking or not. Just give that a try or come up with your own method, but good luck either way. It's fun to do and can mess with your opponents heads if you successfully land it a few times.

GuardianE said:
Got any advice? I'm currently stuck on Viper's 3rd trial. It makes me want to weep. As someone who pretty much has never played Viper, the thought of canceling a jump cancel into Ultra boggles my mind.

Ah yes, Satan's idea of a joke.

From what I remember, I would buffer QCF c.lp>down,forward, up PPP. When you do half circle motion (down, forward, up PPP) you have to do it fast as hell to where you cancel the super jump with the PPP.

Try in training mode the c.lp>SJC ultra portion, so you can get the feel of it. Hopefully that made sense.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
black_vegeta said:
Ah yes, Satan's idea of a joke.

From what I remember, I would buffer QCF c.lp>down,forward, up PPP. When you do half circle motion (down, forward, up PPP) you have to do it fast as hell to where you cancel the super jump with the PPP.

Try in training mode the c.lp>SJC ultra portion, so you can get the feel of it. Hopefully that made sense.

I'll work on that. I think I know how to do it in theory, but my fingers feel too clumsy to actually pull it off on a fightpad. :lol

Basically, I need to QCF. LK > D, DF+LP, U, UF+PPP... but I turn to gobbeldygook once I actually try it. I'm hoping it'll just take practice, but this thing is driving me crazy. I wanted to get the hardest trials out of the way before doing all the others, but I might break from Viper for a bit. Too discouraging.

GuardianE said:
I'll work on that. I think I know how to do it in theory, but my fingers feel too clumsy to actually pull it off on a fightpad. :lol

Basically, I need to QCF. LK > D, DF+LP, U, UF+PPP... but I turn to gobbeldygook once I actually try it. I'm hoping it'll just take practice, but this thing is driving me crazy. I wanted to get the hardest trials out of the way before doing all the others, but I might break from Viper for a bit. Too discouraging.

I give up on doing that trial for awhile and just went to tackle the others in the meanwhile. I then cameback to it and completed her 3rd hard trial within 15 minutes.

XenoRaven

Grifter said:
SSF stuff - how are they handling the existing alt. costumes? Any word on changed in-game netcode?
It's supposedly "better" this time around. I would imagine it would have to be better for 1 on 1's considering we'll now be in lobbies of 8 with people spectating the fight. Anyone who's played DOA or any other game that has lobbies will tell you how that normally goes.

DR2K

Banned
Grifter said:
SSF stuff - how are they handling the existing alt. costumes? Any word on changed in-game netcode?

The alts carry over to SSFIV. As far as netcode is concerned, no clue.

XenoRaven said:
It's supposedly "better" this time around. I would imagine it would have to be better for 1 on 1's considering we'll now be in lobbies of 8 with people spectating the fight. Anyone who's played DOA or any other game that has lobbies will tell you how that normally goes.

For DOA it was really dependent. We can have a 16 man room and most matches would turn out great, but one person can come on in a fuck everything up.

oh hell, i thought that was the case already, but still... very cool

One thing weird I notice was that in SSF4, it looked like the challenges had Dan sporting his Vanilla alt costume (training gear/pads). Made me wonder why that was... mebbe if someone has that alt purchased he'll wear it in SSF4, but if they don't have it, he won't...

Ashkeloth

_dementia said:
Reminder: all-in-one alt costume paid DLC unlock code is half-off on PSN this week.

Thanks for posting this. Had no idea there was a sale. Finally picked up these costumes after resisting for months :D

Joekage

So it's been pretty much almost 2 months since I started using stick exclusively and I've made major progress. I started out learning Ryu, learning his links, his setups, and his normal range, mostly in training mode and Versus mode against the CPU to train my muscle memory. It's been a easier road than I thought, with things coming to me fairly quickly so far like links and combos and etc. I still have major problems though. All that playing against the CPU put the bad habit of focus attacking EVERYTHING in me, which is stupid, and gets me eaten alive with empty jump throws and etc. I still go for flashy combos instead of simple yet effective combos just to show myself I can do them. I also have the shittiest ground game ever. I can't throw fireballs because I'm way too predictable and I'm still not comfortable with the range of each fireball and my options and etc. But my worst flaw is that my defense is horrible. I can block crossups and dash forward/back but teching throws, I suck horribly at, even when I know it's coming.

I plan to put way more time into training mode as opposed to Versus mode, and hopefully learn how to use defense through the various community sessions we have here in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Thought I'd let my experience be known so other people could get inspired to get better, especially the pad warriors who are switching to stick. I miss you, pad Rufus, but those are days long past :(

AZ Greg

TaKeRx said:
u still available? I'll send u an invite. or vice-versa.

Yeah, I'm still around. You're going to need to invite me. I took you off my list since you were playing FF13 a few days before release and I wasn't sure if the description of what your friend is playing on your friends list might spoil something. :lol Didn't know it would always just say "Facing Destiny".

I was meaning to add you again, but I forgot how you had your name spelled out.

alba

Little is the new Big
Joekage said:
So it's been pretty much almost 2 months since I started using stick exclusively and I've made major progress. I started out learning Ryu, learning his links, his setups, and his normal range, mostly in training mode and Versus mode against the CPU to train my muscle memory. It's been a easier road than I thought, with things coming to me fairly quickly so far like links and combos and etc. I still have major problems though. All that playing against the CPU put the bad habit of focus attacking EVERYTHING in me, which is stupid, and gets me eaten alive with empty jump throws and etc. I still go for flashy combos instead of simple yet effective combos just to show myself I can do them. I also have the shittiest ground game ever. I can't throw fireballs because I'm way too predictable and I'm still not comfortable with the range of each fireball and my options and etc. But my worst flaw is that my defense is horrible. I can block crossups and dash forward/back but teching throws, I suck horribly at, even when I know it's coming.

I plan to put way more time into training mode as opposed to Versus mode, and hopefully learn how to use defense through the various community sessions we have here in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Thought I'd let my experience be known so other people could get inspired to get better, especially the pad warriors who are switching to stick. I miss you, pad Rufus, but those are days long past :(

I'm pretty much in the same situation, just recently got my stick and started practicing since I really want to get decent by SSF4. Need to train harder! I started watching a lot of youtube video guides too which is quite useful :)

Wiseblade

DryEyeRelief said:
Any Fuerte users think mp run is better for RSF than lp run?
I negative edge it. Although I think I read somewhere that's basically doing it wrong.

Grifter said:
what are the differences in fuerte runs?

None AFAIK. It's just that a lot of people find HP -> qcf+MP -> LP -> HP easier than HP -> qcf+LP -> LP -> HP

MIMIC

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

I played a Zangief YESTERDAY that abused the heatbutt. Literally, for about 45 seconds, all the player did was the headbutt. I just stood back and watched (I was Fuerte and was one leg throw away from getting a perfect).

It was really silly. Leg throw beats the headbutt so I don't know why he kept doing it. Fuerte (in the right hands) is pretty tough for Zangief so I wasn't too worried :)

But this video is fucking hilarious. Especially the end of round 2 :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: Does headbutt beat Akuma's Ultra?

Did some more Guile training today, and found out (by accident) that I can super cancel off of a close neutral fierce. Kinda hard to time, but is so worth it, as doing so and linking it into a full ultra leads up to 662 damage.

^^Yeah, it beats out Akuma's Ultra. Or at least I've seen it happen.

It can, but the timing and spacing basically have to be flawless for it to work. Otherwise, you eat Demon.

EDIT: I'm apparently blind, post above mine already answered it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
From what I've noticed, if you have an attack already active when the Demon starts up, you'll lose, but if you hit the button after ultra freeze, you'll win.

CPS2

Hitokage said:
From what I've noticed, if you have an attack already active when the Demon starts up, you'll lose, but if you hit the button after ultra freeze, you'll win.

It depends on what you mean by "active." If you mean "hitting" then you're probably right, but if you mean "has been activated" then it's not necessarily true.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I shouldn't have played today. I won like 3-4 matches out of like 20. :lol Just wasn't really into it. At least a crappy week is coming to an end.

MIMIC

Banned
Any Fuerte users think mp run is better for RSF than lp run?

MIMIC said:
Hmmm.....I've never tried anything other than LP for the run. I'll have to see if I notice anything with MP

I looked into this in training mode and it seems like this would make things a lot more difficult since you'd use mp to start the run and lp to stop it. There might be some way to maneuver this on an arcade stick but it would be pretty hard on what I use: the 360 controller :)

Ugh, I read that Complete History of Street Fighter on my flight back from San Jose. That book is a piece of crap. Chris whatever did a lackluster job on it. One, there wasn't that much text. Two, the artwork was reused (even worse because it used the Udon and American art from the Tribute instead of the godly Bengus, Akiman, Ikeno, Shinkiro, etc artwork). There were factual errors. And his interviews were with Seth Killian, Ono and a few others. But no subject matter experts like Sirlin, Noritaku Funamizu, Akira Nishitani, Yoshiki Okimato, Alex Valle, John Choi, Tomo Ohiro, Mike Watson, Justin Wong, Mago, Nemo, Daigo, etc. No pics from the Van Damme movie, the merchandise, the Animes, all of the games, etc.

I'm probably a little irked because I was a journalist/writer/designer/etc.

Anyways, can't wait for L.A. Riots III. It's going to be hype. UFC this weekend. Wrestlemania. And I hope to get my desktop working again so I can play PC GAF in SFIV.

XenoRaven

Good games Botox. I don't know what the hell was happening with my throw techs when you started using Cammy. I was mashing the hell out of it and still got thrown for free pretty much every time. =\ That time I just stood there mashing jabs was a combination of me being frustrated and making sure my jab button still worked.

I think I did better against your Chun this time. Cammy was pretty much the same story. I'm hoping the more I play this game the more I get better at reacting to things. As it stands, everyone tells me I can punish jump-ins with this normal or that normal with Chun, but I never react fast enough to do it. If I don't get better at that, then I feel like, as much as I love Chun, that I may have to start looking at other characters. It pains me to say it, but I hate being told I have all these tools and I can't use any of them effectively. Meanwhile all I'm thinking is how nice it would be if I had more than 900 health and a DP to mash.

Or maybe I'm just being a baby because I got some bad news today and it's got me a little down. I'll go with that for now.

Still had fun though. Thanks for the games.

Solune

XenoRaven said:
I think I did better against your Chun this time. Cammy was pretty much the same story. I'm hoping the more I play this game the more I get better at reacting to things. As it stands, everyone tells me I can punish jump-ins with this normal or that normal with Chun, but I never react fast enough to do it. If I don't get better at that, then I feel like, as much as I love Chun, that I may have to start looking at other characters. It pains me to say it, but I hate being told I have all these tools and I can't use any of them effectively. Meanwhile all I'm thinking is how nice it would be if I had more than 900 health and a DP to mash.

Or maybe I'm just being a baby because I got some bad news today and it's got me a little down. I'll go with that for now.

It's probably just whatever you had distracting you.
You've already said the more you play you will get better, this is true.
I was in a similar slump, and this happened to me when FMF owned me for the first time.
Just punish with what you know works and gradually mix up your game from there with what you've learned.
Unfortunately I'm not a Chun player so I can't give any advice regarding her but quitting your character won't help.

Here's a protip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT4Bv7kGSZA

XenoRaven said:
Good games Botox. I don't know what the hell was happening with my throw techs when you started using Cammy. I was mashing the hell out of it and still got thrown for free pretty much every time. =\ That time I just stood there mashing jabs was a combination of me being frustrated and making sure my jab button still worked.

Still had fun though. Thanks for the games.

GGs Xeno. Your Chun is definitely getting better. But don't be discouraged with your anti airs and throw techs. I think the fact that it's online and our connection was pretty laggy factors into a lot of these matches. Lag is hell for Chun Li's anti air ability. I have been using Chun for almost a year now, and I went through the same frustrations as you, and I am still not happy where I am. It does take a ton of matches each day to level up. It's a rough process for everyone, so don't give up on dem legs :-(

and GGs AZ Greg!

Top Bottom