• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Rice-Eater said:
I have a announcement guys. For the first time in my life, I'm going to buy a book and plan on reading "most" of it. Depending how how good each section is, I may even read the entire thing. Like I said, I've never done such a thing before, some of you guys may consider that sad. But it just goes to show how much I love a certain franchise to do something like this for the first time in my life.

BTW, it's this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811865002/?tag=neogaf0e-20
176 pages isn't a book, its a pamphlet!

that said, read some damned books man!

Rice-Eater said:
I have a announcement guys. For the first time in my life, I'm going to buy a book and plan on reading "most" of it. Depending how how good each section is, I may even read the entire thing. Like I said, I've never done such a thing before, some of you guys may consider that sad. But it just goes to show how much I love a certain franchise to do something like this for the first time in my life.

BTW, it's this one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345409469/?tag=neogaf0e-20 buy this instead.

do it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
haunts said:
win or lose, the answer is the same "i dont even play this game! did you know i beat koreas best in tekken 6?"

lol!!

Pandaman said:
anyone ever get the impression that markman might be a serial streaker? he sure likes to show off his stick all over the world.

If you got it... flaunt it. <3

No really, I've been putting in work with my Boxer/Ryu... It's on like Donkey Kong Country II.

Pandaman said:
read some damned books man!

Sorry, that's not going to happen. I don't think I've read a book from beginning to end since High School

Mjunter said:
I'm enjoying that book right now. Its a great read and has tons of artwork.

Thanks for the comment, I'm looking forward to it

Pop On Arrival said:

Looks interesting, can't wait for the movie. Just playing, it sounds very interesting but I just can't see myself doing it. Reading a book is like work to me, unless I really adore the subject like SF in this instance, it'd just be a waste of money.

Grifter

_dementia said:
ggs Grifter

sorry i'm so bad
GGs dude. Those weren't bad, they were pretty darn close and intense. I figured the lag was eating your FADCs tho. I used to main Abel and his basic combos got really hard online.

Riou

I really need help with a vega combo. I just can't seem to do df Roundhouse into Scarlet terror. Do you need to the light/medium or round version of the scarlet terror? Need hints from any vega player.

AZ Greg

Riou said:
I really need help with a vega combo. I just can't seem to do df Roundhouse into Scarlet terror. Do you need to the light/medium or round version of the scarlet terror? Need hints from any vega player.

Any kick version of the scarlet terror will work. It's all about getting the timing down. As soon as you input the df.RH move your stick/pad/whatever to db. Just before your opponent is going to hit the ground do the scarlet terror. Just get the timing/muscle memory down and it's simple.

Riou

AZ Greg said:
Any kick version of the scarlet terror will work. It's all about getting the timing down. As soon as you input the df.RH move your stick/pad/whatever to db. Just before your opponent is going to hit the ground do the scarlet terror. Just get the timing/muscle memory down and it's simple.

Thanks a lot AZ Grey. Time to go to training and get the timing down. I was moving to db as soon as possible but i guess i was finishing scarlet terror too early.

GGs Gutabo those games were pretty smooth I don't know why everyone talks about lag. You have a very solid Honda but for some reason I have a harder time fighting Seth. I'll get you next time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
AZ Greg said:
:(

Hey, do you still post/visit the 1UP/NGR boards? I haven't been there since it went to shit a few years ago, but I remember there being a lot of SF players there. I know some have found their way here, but it'd be cool to throw it down with some of the OGs over XBL when SSF4 hits, if they're still posting.

I'm basically the only person there from way back. Most of them left because they don't get along with the staff. It doesn't matter because NGR as a whole suck anyway. Playing the computer on normal difficulty is more of a challenge.

The main board has some good players but less than a handful.
Haunts posts once in a blue moon and Crackfiend posts once in a dozen blue moons. I haven't seen him post since the Leguna thing. Of course Richard is there and is the best player on the staff. There are some good players on the blogging side but they don't have the mentality to post on the boards. You know how crazy it is and the reputation it has but that was back then.

LowParry

Riou said:

A few things I've done in practice is getting some of the more simple customs down like a c.mp or c.mk into a rolling claw attack. After you get a hang of those, then you can go into the Leaping Kick (df.HK) combos into a EX Wall Dive. Get the hang of those and the Scarlet Terror stuff will come natural. You'll get a better idea with the c.mp/c.mk into rolling claw attacks. The Leaping Kicks are just extra practice. :D

gutabo

biggkidd32 said:
GGs Gutabo those games were pretty smooth I don't know why everyone talks about lag. You have a very solid Honda but for some reason I have a harder time fighting Seth. I'll get you next time.
Well, I don't really know, most of my championship mode games are one or two bar connections and I get no complaints whatsoever(well, some cursing sometimes, but not because of the lag :p). Chun is always hard for Honda, getting in can be a pain in the ass. I think you don't know the seth matchup that well(or how I use him), with more games you'll be kicking his ass! Looking forward to play with you again soon!

Since he seems to be getting better in the next one, I better ask now:

the hell do I do against a good Fuerte? Right now, I can do well until I get knocked down, and then it's GG. That motherfucker is irritating :lol

And I'm using Cammy for this, apparently it's a good matchup for her? lulz

Killa Sasa said:
Since he seems to be getting better in the next one, I better ask now:

the hell do I do against a good Fuerte? Right now, I can do well until I get knocked down, and then it's GG. That motherfucker is irritating :lol

And I'm using Cammy for this, apparently it's a good matchup for her? lulz

If he knocks you down, c spike beats both of his splashes regardless of crossup, and instant dive kick will kill him if he does throw option.

Otherwise, just get on his ass, he can't do anything against divekick pressure. The thing with fuerte is he has some of the best offense, but also some of the worst defense, so who ever is attacking in the match is usually winning.

Ledsen

Rice-Eater said:
Sorry, that's not going to happen. I don't think I've read a book from beginning to end since High School

Dude, literature is for enjoying, exploring and educating yourself with throughout life, not for suffering through in high school! And it's never too late to start :D

Kadey said:
I'm basically the only person there from way back. Most of them left because they don't get along with the staff. It doesn't matter because NGR as a whole suck anyway. Playing the computer on normal difficulty is more of a challenge.

Haunts posts once in a blue moon and Crackfiend posts once in a dozen blue moons. I haven't seen him post since the Leguna thing. Of course Richard is there and is the best player on the staff. There are some good players on the blogging side but they don't have the mentality to post on the boards. You know how crazy it is and the reputation it has but that was back then.

Richard is awesome. Shoutout!

FindMyFarms said:
If he knocks you down, c spike beats both of his splashes regardless of crossup, and instant dive kick will kill him if he does throw option.

Otherwise, just get on his ass, he can't do anything against divekick pressure. The thing with fuerte is he has some of the best offense, but also some of the worst defense, so who ever is attacking in the match is usually winning.

Yeah, this is basically what happens. Whoever got knocked down first usually lost. I don't think I was delaying the Spike long enough because I would whiff or get stuffed on the crossup ones. Gotta get better at that auto correct control. What about Tortilla? I have trouble getting around it, I should probably hop in training mode and get a better idea of everything he has.

Also, great set AZ Greg. Cammy is not a fun matchup for Sim :lol. Outside of super, he just can't make her pay all the time. Once she gets in, I don't know how Sim is supposed to get her off. Plus the difference in damage input basically just makes Cammy's life bar represent what it costs to get in and go to work. Cammy eats up character with situational anti-air like Sim or weak AA altogether. That's why I was jumping like a lunatic, btw.

I don't know why I kept letting you out of the corner in the first few matches, that wasn't the most intelligent thing I've done :p

Still, you've got a crazy Sim to complement that Vega. I definitely learned that matchup better because of this set.

AZ Greg

Killa Sasa said:
Also, great set AZ Greg. Cammy is not a fun matchup for Sim :lol. Outside of super, he just can't make her pay all the time. Once she gets in, I don't know how Sim is supposed to get her off. Plus the difference in damage input basically just makes Cammy's life bar represent what it costs to get in and go to work. Cammy eats up character with situational anti-air like Sim or weak AA altogether. That's why I was jumping like a lunatic, btw.

I don't know why I kept letting you out of the corner in the first few matches, that wasn't the most intelligent thing I've done :p

Still, you've got a crazy Sim to complement that Vega. I definitely learned that matchup better because of this set.

GGs.

Yeah, Cammy is tough. Once you got in I just had to pray for an execution error or sacrifice some damage and back dash or teleport, unless I was in the corner.

Does the cr.lp+lk throw tech option select not work against instant dive kick characters? I'm guessing that between your normal and a dive kick, if I'm doing the option select, I'll whiff the cr.lk and you'll be able to hit me with the dive kick right? Or I could just be screwing it up. :lol

AZ Greg said:
GGs.

Yeah, Cammy is tough. Once you got in I just had to pray for an execution error or sacrifice some damage and back dash or teleport, unless I was in the corner.

Does the cr.lp+lk throw tech option select not work against instant dive kick characters? I'm guessing that between your normal and a dive kick, if I'm doing the option select, I'll whiff the cr.lk and you'll be able to hit me with the dive kick right? Or I could just be screwing it up. :lol

No you were doing the OS right, and you're right about not doing the OS tech against TK Dive characters/Rufus. Just don't abuse OS against Cammy unless it's life or death, it's not worth it. Sometimes it's better to just eat a throw every once in a while. It doesn't help that Dhalsim's back dash is assy, I think I caught you with a Cannon Spike even on his backdash.

Also, I can see why they nerfed her Spike some in SSF4 - Spike FADC Spike is a scrubby ass combo for big damage :lol I got tagged by those in other matches today....now I know how it feels :p

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Kadey said:

hey i posted just yesterday!!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Augemitbutter said:
what are you talking about? there is no problem finding games on PSN in europe.

Well, I thought I'd film this with my crappy cellphone, I'm not saying this is what it looks like for everybody ALL the time. This proves nothing except :

That I personally cant find games no matter how much I try. I've found a total of like 4 championship matches since I bought the game however this is understandable seeing as my rank is nonexistant.

What I dont understand is why I cant even get a single hit on player matches and ranked matches. If I had my 360 now I'd go in and film that and show that its not my connection ( 24mbs so that shouldnt be the problem )

Anyways

Here is the clip of me trying to find games on ps3, my mate could watch the clip but for me it said " the video is still being processed blablalabl "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImOSCiICqI

Kadey said:

I never really visited the boards at all, maybe I should check it out. I have no idea what goes on in there...or if there's a dedicated section for fighting games, SFIV, etc.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I love seeing this thread still up here =P. I am not playing SF as much these days though, waiting for SSF4 and social life is getting in the way a lot. Will probably organize a GAF ranbat before SSF is out =P

K.Sabot

Corky said:
Well, I thought I'd film this with my crappy cellphone, I'm not saying this is what it looks like for everybody ALL the time. This proves nothing except :

That I personally cant find games no matter how much I try. I've found a total of like 4 championship matches since I bought the game however this is understandable seeing as my rank is nonexistant.

What I dont understand is why I cant even get a single hit on player matches and ranked matches. If I had my 360 now I'd go in and film that and show that its not my connection ( 24mbs so that shouldnt be the problem )

Anyways

Here is the clip of me trying to find games on ps3, my mate could watch the clip but for me it said " the video is still being processed blablalabl "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImOSCiICqI

I think you have the NAT 3 problem that I have. Difference is, you can probably do something about it.

Relix said:
I love seeing this thread still up here =P. I am not playing SF as much these days though, waiting for SSF4 and social life is getting in the way a lot. Will probably organize a GAF ranbat before SSF is out =P

dew it!! :D

I also have one more local street fighter tournament in April before the rival of SSFIV.

Threi

notag
Killa Sasa said:
Also, I can see why they nerfed her Spike some in SSF4 - Spike FADC Spike is a scrubby ass combo for big damage :lol I got tagged by those in other matches today....now I know how it feels :p
:)

K.Sabot

Corky said:
care to elaborate?
Go to your PS3 network settings and do the internet test, it will probably say NAT: 3 at the bottom and then say that NAT 3 will make some types of internet play unavailable.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
MIMIC said:
I don't get it. How can a person I play be so recklessly shitty, and then all of a sudden pull off (Ryu) c.MK > EX Fireball > FADC > Ultra?

Shenanigans?

:lol This is probably what players think when they play me. I play recklessly shitty, cannot even do a simple Tiger Shot, then I string off a Jump-in c.lk > c.lk > c.mp > Tiger Uppercut > FADC > Ultra.
I usually end up getting mad at myself for doing stuff like that because I'm so freaking inconsistent on the basics.

BTW thanks to those explaining Option Selects. My mind is BLOWN by the fact that you can block + tech throw! :lol :lol

Rice-Eater said:

BTW, it's this one

So far, it's ish (not the good type). There are some factual errors. The art is just lifted from Eternal Challenge, 20th Anniversary and Tribute. It's not even a real history. And it downplays the relevance of Yie Ar Kung Fu and Karate Champ...

It would've been cool to have staff and player pictures also. Interviews with Tomo, Alex Valle, J. Wong and a new school player would've been great (along with possibly Nemo, Daigo, etc). Though the writer seems to have an infinity for the game, the book is like whateva.

And I'm in the same boat as Corky when it comes to searching for games on PSN. Xbox is a totally different story. Not sure if it's a network or player (more on Live?) thing.

YakiSOBA

YakiSOBA said:
Question:

I see a lot of videos of ryu players who do a jump-in dragon kick crossup after securing a knockdown... how do they do it? Where do I stand and does it matter which (LK, MK, HK) I use?

anyone? :)

Tokubetsu

I feel terrible for disrupting all this technical talk but have they said what it is you'll get if you still own SFIV and buy SSFIV?

XenoRaven

MarkMan said:
omg it's practically snowing here in boston and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt

*southern california*

:)
Haha. Remember this the next time you pansies down there are complaining about 50 degree weather being cold!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I tried out Championship Mode for the first time last week and was able to find a handful of matches without difficulty.

...and won them without difficulty. Wow, so that's G3.

XenoRaven

Hitokage said:
I tried out Championship Mode for the first time last week and was able to find a handful of matches without difficulty.

:lol Yeah. Those guys are pushovers even for ME.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's so weird, because you expect the other guy to do something and put yourself into a position to defend against it or counter it, then they twiddle their thumbs instead.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capt'n Farrell said:
So I just bought this game really cheap so I could get some practice before Super hits. But MY GOD I'm having a hard time with those trials. Most moves and combos seem straight up impossible to me...
I have the Hori EX2 stick, and I've never used an arcade Stick to play a Fighter before, which is probably my problem.

I really want to get back into this, haven't played SF since the snes days, but MAN, I feel like this is gonna be a lot of work.

I'm doing the hard trials right now. We can share the frustration of this together. :lol

Hitokage said:

G1 is hardly any better either. Just started playing that again, since player matches is getting dry.

These days, my biggest enemy is lag...and when I lose it's mainly due to my idiocy with execution thanks to lagginess.

Hitokage said:
It's so weird, because you expect the other guy to do something and put yourself into a position to defend against it or counter it, then they twiddle their thumbs instead.
Sometimes I think maybe they're six-year-olds or something and I feel bad.

GuardianE said:
I'm doing the hard trials right now. We can share the frustration of this together. :lol
well, I'm still stuck with the "easy" ones. I keep telling myself that these trials are a MUST in order to truly master a character. I bet in two or three years, I'm even capable of winning once in a while...

Top Bottom