• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Danielsan

Decided to pick up Street Fighter 4 again this week.
I'm still horrible at this game.
Modded my SE stick with Sanwa parts yesterday (not nearly is easy as the tutorial wants you to believe :lol), but I'm still pretty lousy with a stick.

My main problem is that I just suck at linking. I'm just not fast and precise enough to pull them off. I've been trying to do a shoryuken > focus attack dash cancel into an ultra and it honestly seems impossible.

I'm also still fucking up my ultra more often than not, resulting in either an ex shoryuken or ex hadoken.

Ploid 3.0

Danielsan said:
Decided to pick up Street Fighter 4 again this week.
I'm still horrible at this game.
Modded my SE stick with Sanwa parts yesterday (not nearly is easy as the tutorial wants you to believe :lol), but I'm still pretty lousy with a stick.

My main problem is that I just suck at linking. I'm just not fast and precise enough to pull them off. I've been trying to do a shoryuken > focus attack dash cancel into an ultra and it honestly seems impossible.

I'm also still fucking up my ultra more often than not, resulting in either an ex shoryuken or ex hadoken.

There's also a annoying shortcut to dragon punch motion that have different characters doing a different move when they try to do their ultras. Like Bison and his ultra making him teleport for some people at bad times when they need to ultra.

YakiSOBA

Rice-Eater said:
This is how I do it.

First determine your range, you have to stand far enough away that a regular jump in will have you land in there front side. But I personally go for what looks like a deep jump in BTW. So of course they're going to block in that direction unless they notice the cross up hurricane. Now the hurricane has to be done while Ryu is beginning to descend from the peak of his jump in against most characters. You can do it when Ryu is at the peak of his jump against bigger characters like Sagat or Seth, but as I said most will need you to do it as he starts to descend from the peak of his jump.

Heres a little exercise you can try. This is something I saw from Ryu players like Daigo, they'll do cr. MP twice and then go for the cross up tatsu. Do it in the training room, it doesn't matter if the dummy is blocking or not. Just give that a try or come up with your own method, but good luck either way. It's fun to do and can mess with your opponents heads if you successfully land it a few times.

Thanks!! :)

Wiseblade

MIMIC said:
I looked into this in training mode and it seems like this would make things a lot more difficult since you'd use mp to start the run and lp to stop it. There might be some way to maneuver this on an arcade stick but it would be pretty hard on what I use: the 360 controller :)

Yeah alot of people using sticks prefer using MP to start the run. That way you can sort of piano the loop which makes it easier to keep the timing consistent.

I'm seriously considering dropping 100+ on either a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 or a Mad Catz SSF4 TE stick. I'm terrible with a stick but I've always wanted to learn it and become comfortable playing on a stick. This is a big risk for me because I'm so pessimistic about me ever learning to play on a stick and wasting a lot of money.

SF4 GAF'ers, if I do it will I have your full support that someone will always be there to cheer me up and pat me on the back saying things like "be patient, all your hard work will pay off".

Oh yeah between the HRAP3 and SSF4 TE Stick, which would you guys recommend?

TE Stick is full Sanwa out of the box. HRAP 3 is a hybrid of Sanwa lever and Hori clone buttons.
Additionally, the TE features cable storage, Home/Guide/Start/Select lockswtich, and feels much more study and hefty than the hollow, domey HRAPs while playing (they weigh roughly the same, but the HRAP's larger yet emptier shell results in that feel).
I would get the TE, especially with the deal Madcatz is running now.

Rice-Eater said:
I'm seriously considering dropping 100+ on either a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 or a Mad Catz SSF4 TE stick. I'm terrible with a stick but I've always wanted to learn it and become comfortable playing on a stick. This is a big risk for me because I'm so pessimistic about me ever learning to play on a stick and wasting a lot of money.

SF4 GAF'ers, if I do it will I have your full support that someone will always be there to cheer me up and pat me on the back saying things like "be patient, all your hard work will pay off".

I've been wondering the same thing, they're both around 100 bucks on ebay and I can't really decide. The Hori stick seems pretty legit, but I've heard a lot of good things about the TE stick too.

also: what madcatz deal are you talking about?

Capt'n Farrell said:
also: what madcatz deal are you talking about?

I think it's 20-30% off SSF4 products from March 25-29. I checked it out the SSF4 TE can be had for $120, original price is $150. There is a $7.50 shipping fee, but still it's a nice discount. I haven't bought it yet but I'll probably bite by sometime today.

BTW, the special code is SUPERPAX. Just enter it to receive the discount.

Wiseblade

Rice-Eater said:

I felt the same way about it just before I bought a TE stick at the start of January. But after a few months I've really gotten accustomed to it. It makes doing things like ultras on reaction a lot easier after I built up the muscle memory. And there's no way I could do the RSF on a pad. I'm not perfect with it, but I'm better with a stick now that I was on the 360 pad.

I'd say go for it. Just be pre prepared to spend at least a month in frustration in training mode messing up fireballs. But it's best to get that month out of the way now and hit the ground running in Super. Using a stick also really comes in handy if you ever happen to visit an arcade.

EDIT: I'll also vouch for the TE stick. It's a sturdy design and fits well in my lap. I just wish it came with a bag.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The HRAP3SA is a full sanwa stick, and I think there's a version for the 360 that is as well, but normally HRAPs come with Hori buttons.

Dachande

I've reinstalled Windows recently and lost my SF4 PC savegame in the process. Now I want to play again, Cammy isn't unlocked anymore. :( Is there a quick way to unlock characters yet? I've tried a few different things but none have worked.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AZ Greg said:
GGs today to Relix, Lost, Eva, Botox, and Jam.

Two things....

Sorry about the one bar. What the fuck... have no idea haha.

Second: Had a bunch of friends just screwing around and not helping on my concentration... that and lag were pissing me hahaha.

I shall have my revenge against Dhalsim!! GG's Greg haha!

AZ Greg

eva01 said:
ggs AZ Greg

Do you have any tips for me in the Sim-Ken match-up (Besides throw tech more since throw is like 75% of the damage I take a round :lol)? But just anything Sims do to give you trouble beyond some of the basic zoning I'd get you with from time to time. The kara shenanigans really give me trouble. The match-up vs. a good Ken seems to be much more difficult than vs. a good Ryu.

Relix said:
Two things....

Sorry about the one bar. What the fuck... have no idea haha.

Second: Had a bunch of friends just screwing around and not helping on my concentration... that and lag were pissing me hahaha.

I shall have my revenge against Dhalsim!! GG's Greg haha!

Yeah, I'm not sure about the one bar either. Only thing I can guess is that with it being Friday afternoon when we played there were probably a bunch of people online. Not sure if it's a cable internet thing, but I sometimes notice a hit around the times people are getting off of work or sometimes on non-work nights.

You can say my sudden urge to get a TE stick was inspired by my younger cousin. He recently just joined a rock band, he's never played a instrument before but this was something he wanted to do. So he went out and bought a base guitar and amp and in a month has already learned so much. I listened to him and was also surprised at how much progress he has made in a month. I thought to myself if he can learn a instrument without ever having any experience of playing any kind of instrument, why can't I learn to play on a arcade stick? So that's the story and I guess the beginning of my journey to learn how to play on a stick.

XenoRaven

Rice-Eater said:
You can say my sudden urge to get a TE stick was inspired by my younger cousin. He recently just joined a rock band, he's never played a instrument before but this was something he wanted to do. So he went out and bought a base guitar and amp and in a month has already learned so much. I listened to him and was also surprised at how much progress he has made in a month. I thought to myself if he can learn a instrument without ever having any experience of playing any kind of instrument, why can't I learn to play on a arcade stick? So that's the story and I guess the beginning of my journey to learn how to play on a stick.
Dooo it. It's awkward at first. And you have to practice quite a bit (at least I do) to get comfortable with it, considering you've been used to a certain control set up your whole life. But once you get it down you'll never be able to go back. I'm not even that good with the stick yet and I hate going back to a controller.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
eva01 said:
ggs AZ Greg
Wow, I didn't realize you were on gaf until now. gg the other day.

AZ Greg said:
Do you have any tips for me in the Sim-Ken match-up (Besides throw tech more since throw is like 75% of the damage I take a round :lol)? But just anything Sims do to give you trouble beyond some of the basic zoning I'd get you with from time to time. The kara shenanigans really give me trouble. The match-up vs. a good Ken seems to be much more difficult than vs. a good Ryu.
Yeah, eva01's Ken is pretty tough. He doesn't do a lot of things that Dhalsim can punish easily.

I had to try to think of certain tricks on the fly, like baiting out focus attacks and punishing with yoga flame, but only had minimal success.

AZ Greg

Rice-Eater said:

One suggestion I usually make to friends or anyone getting ready to learn stick is to do it with a fighting game you haven't but want to learn. A different SF, BB, Tekken, SC, VF, whatever... The line between the new game learning curve and the arcade stick learning curve will blur a bit, making it easier to deal with the initial struggles. It's hard for some to remain patient when they try learning stick with a game they were already good at with pad. It's pretty discouraging to start losing to BS you know you can easily deal with if you were on your pad and if you start going back and forth it's only going to hurt your learning of the stick.

XenoRaven

You too Relix. I've been having some long ones lately. I think my last two sets with Botox went to around 30 and 40 matches.

It makes me sad when you pick like 4 or 5 different characters and you beat me with all of them. I almost sent you a message telling you to pick Honda again. Those matches made me particularly salty. =P

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
XenoRaven said:
You too Relix. I've been having some long ones lately. I think my last two sets with Botox went to around 30 and 40 matches.

It makes me sad when you pick like 4 or 5 different characters and you beat me with all of them. I almost sent you a message telling you to pick Honda again. Those matches made me particularly salty. =P

Heh, wasn't trying to boast or anything just wanted to maybe show you some quirks each of those characters have and help you find ways around them. Those are the characters I use though =P.

Against Honda you should really try and get more space. It usually goes in Chun's favor, but a good Honda (those really, really good ones out there haha) can really fuck you up. Fret not, you will get better, trust me =P. You have a few of those Chun combos really memorized now, like the HK > Kicks. You should practice EX Legs to Ultra a bit more though, you missed it quite a fair share of times. Also remember you can Ultra any blocked headbutt from Honda, even EX ones.

Vega can outpoke Chun (reach, learned this with Greg the hard way) so you need to avoid being in his reach and finding other ways to get in. Your FA tactic worked well, but Vega can usually break those and if you get too predictive you are screwed. Still, as I said, don't worry you are gonna get better =P.

2uxz8z6.jpg

Why would you rage quit before the match even begins? Dude had a 11% disconnect percentage. :lol

XenoRaven

Relix said:
Heh, wasn't trying to boast or anything just wanted to maybe show you some quirks each of those characters have and help you find ways around them. Those are the characters I use though =P.

Against Honda you should really try and get more space. It usually goes in Chun's favor, but a good Honda (those really, really good ones out there haha) can really fuck you up. Fret not, you will get better, trust me =P. You have a few of those Chun combos really memorized now, like the HK > Kicks. You should practice EX Legs to Ultra a bit more though, you missed it quite a fair share of times. Also remember you can Ultra any blocked headbutt from Honda, even EX ones.

Vega can outpoke Chun (reach, learned this with Greg the hard way) so you need to avoid being in his reach and finding other ways to get in. Your FA tactic worked well, but Vega can usually break those and if you get too predictive you are screwed. Still, as I said, don't worry you are gonna get better =P.
Yeah. I think I've said it before after some Greg matches. But from launch until I started playing GAF people (a few months ago) I only really played against my one friend who plays Ryu, Ken, Honda, and Balrog. So my Ultra timing is kind of ingrained in my head now. But different characters float at different heights and fall at different speeds and you can only hit them at certain points on their descent. Combined with lag I usually hit it too late. Then I start overcompensating by hitting it too early. Rose and Cammy are particularly tricky for me. I forget that most times they hardly pop up at all, and so I hit the Ultra when they're almost on the ground.

Aljosa said:
2uxz8z6.jpg

Why would you rage quit before the match even begins? Dude had a 11% disconnect percentage. :lol

I don't really think that counts as a rage quit, could just have a shoddy connection.

No-one's ragequitted on me in ages.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Rentahamster said:
Wow, interesting. So it took about a year to figure this out?

Relatively speaking is that a long time or not?

I cant even see what he really does, except ( what it appears to me ) spinning the shit out of the stick.

eva01

Do you have any tips for me in the Sim-Ken match-up (Besides throw tech more since throw is like 75% of the damage I take a round )? But just anything Sims do to give you trouble beyond some of the basic zoning I'd get you with from time to time. The kara shenanigans really give me trouble. The match-up vs. a good Ken seems to be much more difficult than vs. a good Ryu.

Sorry for the late post I was eager to "facing destiny" after we played and went to bed after I posted gg.

I think for the most part you were doing good keeping me out with the limbs but you were feeling the pressure whenever I kara focused your limbs and dashed through to get in and began my offensive options.

The stuff from sims I have trouble with is I tend to block high first then low(a habit) and will fall for the jump back fierce punch limbs. Once in awhile I fall for the slide > throw. Another thing is the focus bait. I Think they bait the focus with a jab then see that I focus and wait until I dash then do the long limb to hit me while in the dash animation. But yeah other than that got to tech more haha

Ken has it easier getting in on sim over ryu because of the karas.

Wow, I didn't realize you were on gaf until now. gg the other day.
GGs Rentahamster

GriffD17

So I'll be screwing around on PSN HDR to try go get used to this awful stick. Why are the tournies around here on ps3, nonsense I tell you. But anways, how do I get into this PS3 gaf room everone talks about?

And I'm calling LA Riots III not being streamed pure and utter bumnation.

The production value on the stream is pretty good. The lil background, the two cameras showing the player's and the main feed.

I missed the Ryu vs. Ryu throwdown :(

Top Bottom