• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Threi said:
man this recorded match is awesome

cammy is bottom mid tier my ass
Her CPU is god tier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I tried for 20 minutes straight. Shit doesn't work.

ptown

I don't understand your phrase relating to conventions/practices/beliefs(?) of [the people who live in] "tha hoods".

But that's okay. You're still the best online SF4 go-to-guy I know.

...first to 1000!!!

:lol

MIMIC

Banned
So I was playing Street Fighter. Me (Fuerte) vs. Zangief. During the match, I started choking on some Skittles I was eating. I was choking for a good 10 seconds (and could neither see nor breathe at one point). So I stood up still trying to play the match and gave myself a hands-free Heimlich maneuver (where constantly jerked my head forward trying to cough. Basically, I looked like a duck).

I won that round (and the match) so.....hands-free Heimlich FTW? :lol

it was scary...but now I know where my priorities are =p

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Rentahamster said:
Wow, interesting. So it took about a year to figure this out?

Relatively speaking is that a long time or not?
A year's a really long time actually. We're pretty lucky it took this long to figure out, because anything that helps Sagat would've probably hurt this game early on.

But it doesn't seem as bad now. People have a much better understanding of the game today so it's easier to come up with counters and escapes. Plus if this ends up helping a low tier character like Rose, then it might actually be a positive.

What's funny is i tried this using a less sophisticated setup helluva long ago, but gave up after 15 minutes because i didn't care that much. Though i probably wouldn't have told anyone about it even if i did find it.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Majestros said:
A year's a really long time actually. We're pretty lucky it took this long to figure out, because anything that helps Sagat would've probably hurt this game early on.

But it doesn't seem as bad now. People have a much better understanding of the game today so it's easier to come up with counters and escapes. Plus if this ends up helping a low tier character like Rose, then it might actually be a positive.

What's funny is i tried this using a less sophisticated setup helluva long ago, but gave up after 15 minutes because i didn't care that much. Though i probably wouldn't have told anyone about it even if i did find it.

Yeah, taking this long to figure it out WITH the internet and youtube so prevalent is really quite amazing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ugh. after months away from the game, my...everything is shitty. =( My poor Fuerte. Time to practice like a mofo. Look for me around PSN for free wins at various points of the days (I work weird hours). PSN: Darshiro.

MIMIC

Banned
I played another Fuerte that could do the RSF (so that would make it TWO :lol). Also, he's the first Fuerte I've ever played that could do the loop with the c.MK...although it was kind of rough.

He had a beastly Vega, too....did some combos that I've honestly never seen Vega do before. I really HATE the Vega-Fuerte match-up.....almost more so than the Balrog-Fuerte match-up. But I managed to win 1 (and lose the next 4) with patience :)

GG's Black Vegeta. I think I ate about 30 overhead dash punches. I wanted to see more of that Bison too, you're pretty solid with him.

Also, I was incredibly salty after I lost that one match on the volcano after winning the second round. Hit me up again for matches whenever.

And sorry about missing your invite FMF, was playing someone already.

Killa Sasa said:
GG's Black Vegeta. I think I ate about 30 overhead dash punches. I wanted to see more of that Bison too, you're pretty solid with him.

Also, I was incredibly salty after I lost that one match on the volcano after winning the second round. Hit me up again for matches whenever.

And sorry about missing your invite FMF, was playing someone already.

GG's B. Sorry I had to run, I had to help the wifey.

Those were some fun matches. I'm not used to playing a good Cammy's and it showed. Also, I kept having execution mistakes. I kept missing my ultras while my Rawg was facing right. I was so salty. :/

I haven't used Byson in ages. I want to have him as my secondary character since I like his rush down style.

We'll definitely get some more matches in the future.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I posted it on other thread and seemly that I was ignored so I am going to re post here and hopefully get some feedbacks from people.

I just got my fightstick from gamestop. It's MvC2 TE for 360. (I bought it an week and few days ago and I just started to use it more often yesterday because I just got SF4 from gamefly.)

Honestly, I was very frustrated with the fight stick because I can't pull it off a lot and I suck with fight stick.. I can't even do 360 without jump or whatever and I failed at 360 and 720 so much. Also I suck 2x qcf and charge. I have to crouch to charge up the moves and ultra.

Luckily my experienced friends helped me with most of basic but problem is that they don't main grapplers. I need helps from NeoGaf to show me the way how to be better with my stick with grapplers. (Since I really want to main grapplers in SSF4 as well)

Feel free to share more tips and idea how to improve myself.

noisome07

Banned
IntelliHeath said:
I posted it on other thread and seemly that I was ignored so I am going to re post here and hopefully get some feedbacks from people.

I just got my fightstick from gamestop. It's MvC2 TE for 360. (I bought it an week and few days ago and I just started to use it more often yesterday because I just got SF4 from gamefly.)

Honestly, I was very frustrated with the fight stick because I can't pull it off a lot and I suck with fight stick.. I can't even do 360 without jump or whatever and I failed at 360 and 720 so much. Also I suck 2x qcf and charge. I have to crouch to charge up the moves and ultra.

Luckily my experienced friends helped me with most of basic but problem is that they don't main grapplers. I need helps from NeoGaf to show me the way how to be better with my stick with grapplers. (Since I really want to main grapplers in SSF4 as well)

Feel free to share more tips and idea how to improve myself.

All you can do is practice. You've only had it for a week.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Don't worry. I'm learning a stick too. While execution is the same and my hands do not hurt when I use charge characters, the ability to do stuff during matches is another matter. I think I'm making progress though. Got whupped today by a couple of good players but it felt good since I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. Most of my losses are due to chasing turtles and not being able to react when they counter me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
noisome07 said:
All you can do is practice. You've only had it for a week.

That's true but I just want to see if there is a tip that would help me to do 720 ultra without jump or anything.

I am getting there but it will take awhile for me to get used to it. I just want to be mostly ready for SSF4. Hakan and Thawk <3

Kadey said:
Don't worry. I'm learning a stick too. While execution is the same and my hands do not hurt when I use charge characters, the ability to do stuff during matches is another matter. I think I'm making progress though. Got whupped today by a couple of good players but it felt good since I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. Most of my losses are due to chasing turtles and not being able to react when they counter me.

Yeah, It felt great that I actually won some online last night. My friend told me that I am improving with stick pretty faster than he thought.

XenoRaven

I would look up some tutorials about different stick-holding techniques, try some out, and see which ones feel most comfortable while still allowing you free-range of motion. It is a little bit tough making the transition. Everyone will tell you how great sticks are for fighting game control, and then you get yours and it feels awkward and uncomfortable.

Just keep at it. Soon it will be natural. While I struggle with qcf and dp motions, 360's are actually really easy for me on a stick.

KuroNeeko

Hey all,

I've been trying to incorporate some of Chun's option selects into my game but am still not quite sure what kind of effect they're supposed to have.

The one I've been working on the most is forward throw, dash, c.sk, rh~mk~sk, sk+mk x2. Is this supposed to be designed to a) put offensive EX leg pressure on wake-up and b) punish backdashes with c.rh? I usually play random rank matches since almost NO ONE plays championship mode in Japan and am still in G3-E. I've never seen the c.rh come into play and I end up eatting srk reversals all the time.

The second CO, forward throw, fj. FP, db. FP+rh. I've never had this work. Seems like you need to land before throwing out the rh to get the sweep, but if you land then you can't do the second half of her target combo. Is it a timing thing? Is my opponent supposed to be able to block?

With these two COs in general, are they supposed to be susceptible to reversals? Like going for the first CO on a shoto is just asking for a srk sandwich?

On a side note, just since I play against Ryu so often (you guys in the States have it good - you may run into Kens all the time but in Japan - it's all Ryu, all the time.
With Ken and Cammy thrown in for seasoning.

I like to punish whiffed srks with throws but half of the time I just eat a second srk. Is that normal? I like to punish whiffed hurricane kicks with throws if they land next to me but 50% of the time I eat srks... is that normal?

I had Gouki toss out his special, miss, and then srk me when I went for the throw, is that normal?

Azrael from SRK posted in the Chun forum that Chun has to respect the DP when it comes to the wake-up game since it beats almost everything. What ways can you punish a shoto player once you've knocked them down?

And sheesh, any tips against Cammy players in general would be appreciated - she's like this sideboob wall of doom.

Sorry for the long post!

XenoRaven

The two option selects you're using are exactly what you say they are. They're supposed to let you do either cr. lk, EX Legs or her Target Combo, and punish with a sweep if they backdash. A wakeup DP will beat both. If you're sick of the wakeup DP, the only thing you can really do is get in close, pretend you're going to do something, then backdash to make the DP whiff, then punish. The reason you're getting hit with the second DP is a timing issue. You have a reasonably sized window between where your opponent is actually grounded so they won't flip backwards, and when they can hit another DP. Mess around to make sure you get the timing. If you're playing to win, just sweep them while they're still in the air to be safe.

Once you've baited some wakeup DP's and punished them, you'll get your opponent to think twice about just throwing them out. Then you can get into the mixup. Anyone playing against a Chun with meter is going to want to crouch block to avoid getting hit with EX Legs and possibly Ultra depending where you're at on the stage. Lk Hazanshu is nice to punish people just blocking low on wakeup. When they start getting afraid of that, and block high on wakeup, then you can try hitting the cr. lk to combo into her BnB. You can also just throw and do it again.

I believe forward throw, dash, j. lk cross up will knock Ryu out of his lp DP. Not sure about other ones. Timing's gotta be right though to avoid stupid ass auto corrects.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Whiffed dp is one of the best opportunities for Chun-Li to pile on obscene amounts of damage, and she doesn't really get many. Don't waste it with a throw.

KuroNeeko

Hitokage said:
Whiffed dp is one of the best opportunities for Chun-Li to pile on obscene amounts of damage, and she doesn't really get many. Don't waste it with a throw.

What are some good ways to punish? I like to throw, but I also go for the air throw and the target combo into triple headstomps (though it misses half the time.)

So I've decided to start practicing my SJCs with Viper so that I could become adequate with Ibuki. I linked a jab or short into Ultra about 10 times in a row. Stopped for a few minutes and tried it again and failure. :(

My Viper skills go away really fast for some reason.

XenoRaven

KuroNeeko said:
What are some good ways to punish? I like to throw, but I also go for the air throw and the target combo into triple headstomps (though it misses half the time.)
On a whiffed DP? No, definitely don't jump. Gotta stay on your feet for that one. If you have meter, the easiest way is to just go with cr. lk x2 xx EX Legs. If you can do st hk xx EX Legs, or even cr. hp xx EX Legs, then do those. If you don't have meter, if you're good enough to just walk up and hk, hk Legs, do that. If you have time to charge down you can do cr. hp xx mk SBK, but that'll put you right in your opponent's face in a 50/50 situation on hit. If you can't do any of those meterless combos, then try charging a Focus Attack the second you see the DP has whiffed, you may be able to get a Level 2 out of it, then dash forward and mash the hell out of hk, and you'll get hk, hk legs.

EDIT: As a side note, that last option should really only be a temporary fix. If you can't do any of those combos I listed before, hit training mode and learn how to piano/slide if you don't already. It'll be important.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Throw does 140 damage.
c LK, c LK, ex Hyaku is 180 damage.
c HP xx ex Hyaku is 200 damage.
st HK xx ex Hyaku is 250 damage. (Ultra after this does 550-570 dmg)

FA3, st HK xx ex Hyaku is 305, and you can tack on more with meter like another ex Hyaku and then ex SBK after that in the corner.

Or just ultra by itself.

If you're really close, have charge, and time it right, hk SBK does 240 damage.

CPS2

I punish DPs with cr.HP xx medium SBK. Can't remember the exact damage but I know it's more than cl.HK xx EX lightening legs. And you can combo into super after SBK if you have meter.

XenoRaven

I just realized. I don't think I've ever hit a full non-EX SBK outside of a combo ever in this game. I mean it's easy to understand why. The move sucks on it's own. But still, the only time I've ever done it is on accident, and when it hits, it always hits someone trying to jump away, so it only gets them once. I wonder if it will be used any more now that it hits crouching opponents in Super.

Actually I just thought of something. SBK isn't safe on block, I don't think. So if it hit crouching opponents, and the opponent blocks the first hit, instead of sailing over them and only taking one hit before flipping over, you can now get punished with a full combo or a command throw. I would never use cr. hp xx mk SBK unless I was sure it was going to hit, but still, that actually seems like more of a nerf than a buff, IF it's not safe on block. If it is, well then that's all moot.

KuroNeeko

XenoRaven, HitoKage, CPS2>

Thanks for the suggestions.
I just get paranoid waiting for them to land because a lot of people whiff the DP, land, then throw another DP and I still get hit by it.

Outside of getting through projectiles, I still don't have the practical uses of the SA down yet,
up until now I've been trying to get SA on wake-up to no avail.

Guess I'll hit training mode and try to get the timing down.

c. lk x 2 >> EX Hyaku is doable.
c HP >> EX Hyaku is going to take some work.

Thanks again!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
st HK xx ex Hyaku might be easier because you get a free kick input. It's the stronger meter-use combo in that situation anyway.

Anyway, go into training mode and set up a recording where Ryu dps then holds back as he falls until he walks back some afterward. That way you'll know if you missed the window. If somebody can block, they can attack.

Imm0rt4l

to viper players I have a noobish question, I'm curious. How do seismo>tk feint? Is it a seismo feint followed by a quick tk feint? or can the latter be used to the cancel the former? Just curious, I see Dashio use it a lot. Looks really flashy.

Top Bottom