• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

_dementia said:
I thought the prize at evo was like 7K last year...
then again this 5K @ GAMME is a bonus on top of the actual tournament pot...

They're really serious, too. 3K for T6, 2K for Brawl, 1K for 3S...
Crazy!

Yeah, if they switch to Super it would be far more interesting. Team Empire, as talented as they are with the best in the US, would still get sweeped for free in Vanilla.

I believe that the prize at EVO was $5k, then Daigo made extra money on money matches giving him a total around $7k...IIRC.

Was it $5k? That's a lot of money.

Daigo made that fight money.

And Uryo>Flash (who, imo, is the best Viper in the country)

Mago>Sanford+Floe+LIJOE

Daigo>ChrisHu+AlexValle+whoever

Eita,Tokido,Momochi>ShadyK+EdMa+whoever

Nuki>Shizza+ROM

But I'm just stirring the pot. It'll be a good show. I hope FADC does a good job, and they have the bandwidth to stream it or at the least, record the matches.

The 5V5 from Evo2K2 were boss.

And who was in the finals at the Japanese National Tournament?

_dementia said:
Yeah, if they switch to Super it would be far more interesting. Team Empire, as talented as they are with the best in the US, would still get sweeped for free in Vanilla.

It's probably Super. Momochi and Issei play the same character in vanilla. In Super, supposedly Momochi is going to try out Makoto.

_dementia said:
yo yo yo real talk
america is fray
thats right i'm puttin u on blast

oh god, triforce puts out hilarious videos

yeah he does, lol He has an interesting personality. (edit- by weird, I mean he kinds disturbs me a lil)

I finally got my PC working and decided to play SFIV. Man, I'm terrible. I haven't played in awhile (the only game I've played recently was GOWIII).

I'll be signing on in the evening so one of you can school me back to novice level.

Leunam

FFXIII has really fucked up my Abel skills.

Fuck that game. Not playing for 20 hours just because "that's where the game gets good." I played 16 hours and I don't feel like continuing.

Those videos from the ARC. The last two videos were definitely putting people on blast.

Triforce is obviously a personality in the community. He fosters it. But seriously naming your club (or whatever it is) after the Empire. Naming yourself after some weird magical artifact from Zelda and wearing a corny hood like your part of the inverse Klu Klux Klan.

And who from the West Coast is part of Empire? Is Floe part of the Empire?

And I respect his argument about America perpetuating this attitude that you can't trash talk or holding the Japanese players in reverance.

Arde5643

Leunam said:
FFXIII has really fucked up my Abel skills.

Fuck that game. Not playing for 20 hours just because "that's where the game gets good." I played 16 hours and I don't feel like continuing.
Wait, is it FF13 or SF4 where the game gets good after 20 hours?

Spiderjericho said:
Those videos from the ARC.

Seriously. Empire... Triforce... A corny hood.

Ricky Ortiz is Empire?

It seems like an interesting club.

And one cannot compare the Japanese gaming scene to the American gaming scene. They're totally different. They don't even really play consoles like we do. 360, PS3 and Wii are huge here, compared to there. Console game sales are stronger here. Online PC gaming and console gaming became strong while arcades diminished thanks to those other sectors and other entertainment sectors.
Ricky O. is Fashion Empire.

Spiderjericho said:
WTF?

Ricky Ortiz...Gah...

And who else is on the EMPIRE 5V5 team? I didn't know Flash was Empire.
There was some recent drama IIRC, Marn left Empire but Flash is still part of it I think.

lol SF drama

I think the Empire team for the 5v5 is Justin, Sabin, Sanford, Flash, and Rasaahn (for the Gen/console factor).

_dementia said:
There was some recent drama IIRC, Marn left Empire but Flash is still part of it I think.

lol SF drama

I think the Empire team for the 5v5 is Justin, Sabin, Sanford, Flash, and Rasaahn (for the Gen/console factor).

WTF???

And why not get Ricky if he's Empire? He's probably top five in SFIV. And honestly, Combofiend or Valle should be on the team. Sanford, Wong and Flash are definitely top players. But Sabin and Rasaan aren't on the level of Ricky, Valle or Combo.

Spiderjericho said:
WTF???

And why not get Ricky if he's Empire? He's probably top five in SFIV. And honestly, Combofiend or Valle should be on the team. Sanford, Wong and Flash are definitely top players. But Sabin and Rasaan aren't on the level of Ricky, Valle or Combo.
Justin will play Rufus because he's the best Rufus in US. Team can't have duplicates, so people like Ricky and Marn are fucked. And I think it's a whole EMP pride thing which is why dudes like Valle and Combo aren't in.

A best of USA team would be something like Justin Rufus, Valle Ryu, Sanford Sagat, Flash Viper, and Combo Abel (or Cammy), but lol politics.

Random questions my buddies and I were debating. I use a decent amount of characters (none of them too well, I'm a G2 scrub) but I main Ryu. Looking at my personal records last night, I've used him for 50% my matches so far. When you "main" a character, how big of a percentage of your matches do you use that character? Is that 50% a little or a lot for one character?

Speaking of mains, does anyone ever change their mains late in the game or do you stick with one character throughout? For example, I recently started using Gouken a decent amt and for whatever reason his playstyle has clicked with me big time. If none of the new characters click with me more, might switch my main to him when Super rolls along. Is that crazy to switch a year into a game?

_dementia said:
Justin will play Rufus because he's the best Rufus in US. Team can't have duplicates, so people like Ricky and Marn are fucked.

So are we going to have a team GAF? Find/Galactic/AZ Greg, Relix/Qistoptier/Grifter, etc.

And it makes sense Flash is the best C.Viper and Wong is the best Rufus. Valle and Combo should definitely be on the team. But you're right, politics...the same b.s. that Triforce was putting on blast.

And that tournament looks to be the biggest tournament in the U.S. Evo is probably going to still be the biggest fighting game tournament, but I can see this developing into a serious major, especially with the prize money, Japanese attendance and games (KOFXII, Garou, etc).

Spiderjericho said:
So are we going to have a team GAF? Find/Galactic/AZ Greg, Relix/Qistoptier/Grifter, etc.

And it makes sense Flash is the best C.Viper and Wong is the best Rufus. Valle and Combo should definitely be on the team. But you're right, politics...the same b.s. that Triforce was putting on blast.

And that tournament looks to be the biggest tournament in the U.S. Evo is probably going to still be the biggest fighting game tournament, but I can see this developing into a serious major, especially with the prize money, Japanese attendance and games (KOFXII, Garou, etc).
That would be awesome.
I think EMP is actually accepting challenges, to replace them in the 5v5 vs. Japan. They're at least playing a 5v5 consisting of NY players that are non-EMP for the rights (Hu, LI Joe, Citiofbrass, etc.), but I think it'll be impossible for anyone in the US to take out a team with Justin on it.

Yeah, with Sanford, Justin and Flash on the team, it's going to be pretty difficult. Ultimately, I don't have an issue with Dhalsim/Sabin and Honda/Rasaan (though he could always pick Gen).

GAMME then Devastation then Evo. For the real pro gamers, there's definitely a chance to level up and get that fight money within that month and a half time frame. You figure what, at least $12,000 in prize money if you were Justin Wong and won all three. Not too bad.

Well, since no one wants to play, I'll watch the National Tournament matches.

I'm playing hookie from work. The battery in my car died, so I had to get replaced in the morning.

Wiseblade

Sir Garbageman said:
Random questions my buddies and I were debating. I use a decent amount of characters (none of them too well, I'm a G2 scrub) but I main Ryu. Looking at my personal records last night, I use him for 50% my matches so far. When you "main" a character, how big of a percentage of your matches do you use that character? Is that 50% a lot or a little for one character?

Speaking of mains, does anyone ever change their mains late in the game or do you stick with one character throughout? For example, I recently started using Gouken a decent amt and for whatever reason his playstyle has clicked with me big time. If none of the new characters click with me more, might switch my main to him when Super rolls along. Is that crazy to switch a year into a game?

50% sounds pretty varied to me. I've got a 90% on El Fuerte, and that's only going to increase in Super. I'm planning to give everyone a shot in Super, but I doubt I'll switch. I'm too set to Fuerte's style.

Plenty of people switch mains. If a characters playstyle suits you, then feel free to use them. A lot of people are going to be switching mains when Super comes out too. Even Vanilla 4's console characters will get a lot more use, so you'll have company if you switch to Gouken.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wooo! 4 day session is finally over, thank god :lol My fingers are starting to loose their touch... my Abel is finally really REALLY good now.

Also decided to get this for the session:

HORZQbtnA.jpg

Yoshichan said:
Wooo! 4 day session is finally over, thank god :lol My fingers are starting to loose their touch... my Abel is finally really REALLY good now.

Also decided to get this for the session:

http://www.pici.se/pictures/HORZQbtnA.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice. Did you ever finish that 5th Abel Challenge?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
the_log_ride said:
Nice. Did you ever finish that 5th Abel Challenge?
I really haven't tried anymore after my last rage quit. Session started just two hours after my quit so I haven't had the time to try it again :lol

No duplicate characters for the Japan vs Empire 5 on 5? So does that mean Issei will be switching characters. He also plays Akuma like Momochi. I just get the feeling that between the two, if one has to switch his character, it'd probably be Issei.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Sir Garbageman said:
Random questions my buddies and I were debating. I use a decent amount of characters (none of them too well, I'm a G2 scrub) but I main Ryu. Looking at my personal records last night, I've used him for 50% my matches so far. When you "main" a character, how big of a percentage of your matches do you use that character? Is that 50% a little or a lot for one character?
i'd say 50% is about average for a main, in my case my main is 57%.

Other than being bilingual, I don't see why Issei is on that team. At Evo and SB4, his performance wasn't that strong whereas Mago, Daigo, Nuki and Momochi are the best at their characters (in Japan, it's debatable w RF or Ojisan 4 Sagat or Tokido or Eita for Go, etc). If they were smart, they'd bring one more player to have two 3-man teams. Since it's in Florida, I know Flash and VVV scrub will be there (as well as D-Nice, sigh). Hope Jibbo can get out there and a few West Coast players go. A SoCal and NorCal team. A Texas team w Jan, FMF and Fubarduck.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Daigo lost. NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Somebody said it somewhere but Mago plays to win. Sometimes it's ugly, actually most of the time it is, he's pretty boring to watch, but that's how he does it. If he needs to, he'll throw 300 tiger shots in a round.

Spiderjericho said:
Other than being bilingual, I don't see why Issei is on that team. At Evo and SB4, his performance wasn't that strong whereas Mago, Daigo, Nuki and Momochi are the best at their characters (in Japan, it's debatable w RF or Ojisan 4 Sagat or Tokido or Eita for Go, etc). If they were smart, they'd bring one more player to have two 3-man teams. Since it's in Florida, I know Flash and VVV scrub will be there (as well as D-Nice, sigh). Hope Jibbo can get out there and a few West Coast players go. A SoCal and NorCal team. A Texas team w Jan, FMF and Fubarduck.
hey man look at daigo's team at SB4
godlike ryu, average gief, average rufus
translator perks!

I don't know how obvious the skill gap will be because I haven't seen or heard from Issei in a while, but I definitely agree with you

Spiderjericho said:

Oh man, I wish I could say otherwise, but Fubar and I don't deserve to be on that team. The top 3 in Texas so far have clearly been Hsien Chang (best Akuma in america, and best player in Tx), Buktooth, and Jan. The runner ups would probably be Sinister-X (dhalsim player, won the Arcade UFO ranbat) and Viet (akuma player that was 3 points away from winning the ranbat) Myself personally, I'd probably fall into that 3rd tier of players after those two.

That japanese team is gonna be off the fuckin hook though. But who would Issei play? Also Issei has kind of been luke warm with SF4, I wouldn't exactly call him a top player.

Rice-Eater said:
No duplicate characters for the Japan vs Empire 5 on 5? So does that mean Issei will be switching characters. He also plays Akuma like Momochi. I just get the feeling that between the two, if one has to switch his character, it'd probably be Issei.

Really? I'm surprised you feel that way. I got the feeling from you mentioning that Japanese player DVD a while back that Momochi was thinking about trying Makoto.

I was about to say a similar thing but since you put it out there, I might as well give you my thoughts on Issei. He's probably on this team mainly because he's a liaison for the Japanese team. They did also invite Nemo, but he's also a Chun player like Nuki. But anyways, it'll be interesting to see how Issei has progressed since moving back to Japan because a lot of people are saying what you and I are saying.

It would have been nice to see Itabashi, Uryo, or one of the 3 boxers(Pamyu, Maeda, Aojiru).

DryEyeRelief said:
Really? I'm surprised you feel that way. I got the feeling from you mentioning that Japanese player DVD a while back that Momochi was thinking about trying Makoto.

Will it definitely be SSF4? I don't think he should switch even if he wanted to. GAMME is a little over a month after the release of SSF4. Momochi is arguably the top Akuma player in the world(although it's very tough to decide between the big 3 in Japan). He knows the character in and out. It'd be foolish to switch to a new character with only 1 month of training on a 360/PS3 with little to no top competition if Japanese players really don't get together much to play on console like everybody else does.

As for the 5v5, I hope somebody steps up to try and take Empire's spot. I don't think any other team will be able to beat them. But it'd make things more interesting and be fun to watch if streamed or recorded. But I doubt it seeing as top West Coast players haven't been traveling out to the East(post Evo), even for majors. Valle announcing his plans to compete at MW Championships would probably be the first since Gootecks and Mike Ross back in May at EC Throwdown.

Real talk, I suck so bad now I make a better spectator\stream monster than player. And Momochi should stick w Go. Right now he's one of the few who avoided the dreaded nerf hammer in SSFIV. How come no Europe and Korean team? Seriously, I wish I worked at Capcom as I would make a world championship happen. The whole world get hyped.

What was the beef between Marn and Triforce? He seems to still get along w the other players. LOL at online Tony taking him out in the team and single's tourney.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the_log_ride said:
Question regarding that screen... how the hell do you interpret the other screen you can toggle to when you hit r1? the one that lists some kind of win rate?
wins/losses[against the character] win vs lose percentage.

MarkMan said:
BTW, I received two of these today...

http://www.hori.jp/products/ps3/controller/ps3_f_comma3/

I've mentioned it a few times in this thread and other threads... But this stuff is good if you're a fan of cross dpads (SNES users come to mind)...

I've been practicing like crazy on my TE stick(thanks for the discount Mark :D ) for the past 5 days, but hell, as someone who has only been playing pad on fighting games since SF2 I have to get one of those just for the hell of it. I have couple of Mad Catz SF4 pads and while I do like them, I'd always wanted to see how I'd do with a old school cross D pad. So I'm glad to see Hori come out with a alternative to the SF4 pad you guys have created.

Who knows, I may even use one of those at my first tournament if I feel my skills with a stick has not yet caught up to what I can do on a pad.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the_log_ride said:
man... I need to see a screen again. Shit isn't making sense to me :lol
for example on my account:
it says elf 40/60 58.82%

i have played elf 60 times, i've won 40 of those matches. thus, elf is free.

FindMyFarms said:
Oh man, I wish I could say otherwise, but Fubar and I don't deserve to be on that team. The top 3 in Texas so far have clearly been Hsien Chang (best Akuma in america, and best player in Tx), Buktooth, and Jan. The runner ups would probably be Sinister-X (dhalsim player, won the Arcade UFO ranbat) and Viet (akuma player that was 3 points away from winning the ranbat) Myself personally, I'd probably fall into that 3rd tier of players after those two.

That japanese team is gonna be off the fuckin hook though. But who would Issei play? Also Issei has kind of been luke warm with SF4, I wouldn't exactly call him a top player.
Dunno.. I don't see Hsien as the top Akuma player in America...

Though I agree that he would be on the top team to go. Along with Jan and Buktooth.

Top Bottom