• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LakeEarth

Faced a guy named adamxace on XBL who just destroyed me, 15-4. It wasn't pretty, I don't think I got a round off his Ryu and he had all his links down pat. And I went on player match to find someone semi-decent so I could practice my secondaries :lol

K.Sabot

Man, respect to Tony and respect to marn for having the balls to play as he does. I appreciate it when someone gets durrty with competition.

SnowWolf said:
OnlineTony vs. Marn. Marn found the time to squeeze in two taunts before getting styled on :lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpe1TtfCeu4
107m353.png

Rice-Eater said:
This is America baby, we're all about counter picking. Even our very best players do it :D

Japanese players counterpick just as much as american players. Obviously not in Japan, but here in America they do it all the time. Daigo using Guile, Deejay, then Rog in an AE tourney at evo comes to mind.

_dementia said:
Find are you going to GAMME?

I want to, but probably not :/ You?

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Man i hope none of you people ever hook up because then 99.all% of the charm of this place would disappear. I remember back when everyone played Diablo 1, this one b.net channel called "Sorcerer's Tower" used to be the place to be. Everyone knew each other and it was super laid back, but then everyone started getting together and it became drama central overnight.

Or if you guys do get together, at least get REALLY drunk first so nobody remembers a damn thing the next day.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Majestros said:
Man i hope none of you people ever hook up because then 99.all% of the charm of this place would disappear. I remember back when everyone played Diablo 1, this one b.net channel called "Sorcerer's Tower" used to be the place to be. Everyone knew each other and it was super laid back, but then everyone started getting together and it became drama central overnight.

Or if you guys do get together, at least get REALLY drunk first so nobody remembers a damn thing the next day.

-=coughsHAUNTScoughs=-

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just discovered that MvC2 TE FightStick have Square Gate instead of hexagon gate, so I have issues with 360 moves and qcf.

So is it normal that we would have problem with 360/GCF due to Square Gate. Is it better if I should sell it and get hexagon gate?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This forum has never been without drama, but yeah, pure internet drama is somewhat different.

IntelliHeath said:
I just discovered that MvC2 TE FightStick have Square Gate instead of hexagon gate, so I have issues with 360 moves and qcf.

So is it normal that we would have problem with 360/GCF due to Square Gate. Is it better if I should sell it and get hexagon gate?
Square Gate is Nature's Gate.

You shouldn't be riding the gate so hard anyway if it makes that much of a difference.

gibration

IntelliHeath said:

All Mad Catz arcade sticks have square gates and imo square>octo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hitokage said:
By the way, hexagon?

Oopsy. I am just extremely tired and I was typing without thinking. I apologized for it.

Also for feedbacks, I am relieved that square is better than octagon. I'm glad that all madcat contain square gate.

Also I would like to continue the discussion why Square gate is better than Octagon gate since I am curious about it. I have heard that people think octagon is better than square.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Majestros said:

I've slept with every gaf member I've met. We're still going strong.

Kadey said:
Oichi means scratch me in Laos so that's what you two were doing huh?

Whatever helps you 'sleep' at night ^.^ !

---

Yo real talk. I'm going to be at GAMME. I'm actually going to MLG Orlando too.

My work schedule is nutzo. That's why I brought my lil' girl to West Coast Warzone (did anyone see her on the stream?!)

She's the best.

Oh yea, for those who wondered about the Hori FC3. Here's a pic of it...

4494405645_90e1187639.jpg

IMO, not as comfortable as the Mad Catz fightpad. But I do PREFER SNES/cross style dpads. I've tested it with Super SF4 and TEKKEN 6 and it works very well. It should be noted that thumbs style is easy as the buttons are bigger (a lot bigger than the X360 EX2 pad).. the buttons are actually the same size as the Mad Catz fightpads lol.

This is officially licensed by Sony but I have not checked if it works with PS2 games in BC mode yet. I will check tonight.

I was able to do 360s, srk fadc ultra with Ryu, Vipes sjc shit np on this thing. Charge motions weren't too bad and I could consistently jump in combo into buffalo xx ultra with Rog...

That's my mini review so far. Good job Hori.

---

maj, I met with magnetro at WCWZ and we had a good chat about some upcoming product. So I may be chattin with you more soon. <3

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MarkMan said:
---

maj, I met with magnetro at WCWZ and we had a good chat about some upcoming product. So I may be chattin with you more soon. <3

One last question, does it work on PC games?

I was looking over some of the videos from Japanese nationals (Thank you black vegeta) and...

How is Haneyama able to do j.hp->c.fp xx hk legs with Chun-Li? Does he buffer legs while in the air?

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
MarkMan said:
I only vaguely think i might know what you're talking about but cool. Man, i've been terrible about going to these tournaments. Before i used to at least show up to them for a couple hours even if i wasn't gonna enter, but i didn't even know about WCW2 until someone told me about the Valle/OnlineTony match the following day.

Ledsen

DryEyeRelief said:
I was looking over some of the videos from Japanese nationals (Thank you black vegeta) and...

How is Haneyama able to do j.hp->c.fp xx hk legs with Chun-Li? Does he buffer legs while in the air?
c.fp~hk~mk~lk~mk~hk, then mash mk to get hk legs -> mk legs.

Mr Jared

If I'm in a situation where I have no meter and can hit cr.fp > legs, I usually just opt for

cr.fp xx hyaku xx cr.lk xx ex hyaku (because by then you should have the meter)

or

cr.fp xx hyaku xx cr.lk, st.lp, st.fp

Either way, easy stuff. If you're playing Chun-li, make sure to have st.lp > st.fp down. It's nice to be able to pop it in someones face off any opening.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
MarkMan said:
I've slept with every gaf member I've met. We're still going strong.

Whatever helps you 'sleep' at night ^.^ !

---

Yo real talk. I'm going to be at GAMME. I'm actually going to MLG Orlando too.

My work schedule is nutzo. That's why I brought my lil' girl to West Coast Warzone (did anyone see her on the stream?!)

She's the best.

Oh yea, for those who wondered about the Hori FC3. Here's a pic of it...

4494405645_90e1187639.jpg

IMO, not as comfortable as the Mad Catz fightpad. But I do PREFER SNES/cross style dpads. I've tested it with Super SF4 and TEKKEN 6 and it works very well. It should be noted that thumbs style is easy as the buttons are bigger (a lot bigger than the X360 EX2 pad).. the buttons are actually the same size as the Mad Catz fightpads lol.

This is officially licensed by Sony but I have not checked if it works with PS2 games in BC mode yet. I will check tonight.

I was able to do 360s, srk fadc ultra with Ryu, Vipes sjc shit np on this thing. Charge motions weren't too bad and I could consistently jump in combo into buffalo xx ultra with Rog...

That's my mini review so far. Good job Hori.

---

looks even better than the sales pick we kept seeing

Leunam

i am so smart

smrt

i got my order in from lizardlick but because im fucking stupid ive now got 6 small 24mm buttons instead of 6 30mm buttons

ggs leunam you ass

Leunam

I was thinking about it, but I can actually put them to use. I have another stick that I can still mod.

I've already ordered the buttons I need this morning anyway.

fresquito

At last I've gotten my Fightstick TE. Some first impressions:

- Quality-wise, the fightstick is totally awesome. It's been a lot since I last visited the arcades, but I don't need to anymore.
- The square base stick will take some time to learn.
- Buttons are ultra sensitive. Too much even. I sometimes push the strong kick without even noticing, just because my finger touched the button.
- Ergonomy is superb, although it will take some time to adjust to button position.
- All in all, I'm really happy with it, but I need to learn almost from scratch. When I play online I lose the position of the buttons and have some problems with the stick, just because I'm not used to it yet.

Rawkus

black_vegeta said:
Arturo (Sabin) wouldn't play on a 3 bar connection in the final round of the championship. I guess dem pros don't play on nothing less than 4?

Yeah, I never get a chance to play him or Chris Hu because of that. It's always an immediate boot.

Starting to use Gouken more and his wakeup options blow. Are my only options basically backdashing, jumping away, and / or blocking and hoping for the best? Same thing goes for crossups? I've eaten waaaay too many tick throws recently, tough transition from Ryu / Sagat and the noobish mashing of SRK :D

I know ex demon flip has some invincibility frames and is a decent move to create space if you're getting pressured. Anyone have any tips? Thx

bPod

is it me or has there been a lot of ragequitters recently?

I mean, I can't seem to fight a match without the opponent quitting

I was verbally abused by someone the other day because I didn't know any combos, and relied on throws too much. 'Gotta get pics up of the exchange :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm finally back from my east coast adventure! I wanted to go to Chinatown Fair or whatever arcade in New York, but I ran out of time. I was gonna put some ownage down on Sanford. I'm back and it's time to level up some more.

Lyte Edge said:
Wait, is that Hori FC3 out?

Yep, you can get it at Play-Asia for about $45 plus shipping.

BTW, after almost a week of practicing stick I decide to venture online on the PC side of things. I'm still quite bad but my general knowledge of the game is still enough to beat online bottom dwellers despite my horrid ability to even press the button I want to press.

But in my last match I beat a guy called "TheTurningTide". The dude played Akuma and did nothing but mash jab and try to counter poke me. I beat him and figured he was around the high 1000 to low 2000 range, turns out he was OVER 9,000(97-something) :lol

That's amazing, my first session playing online with a stick and I face the highest BP opponent I've ever faced online(PS3 and PC) and he's even scrubbier then me on a stick. I've only reached 4k once and that was a very short stay, how'd the hell this guy get over 9k? I'm guessing point farming with friends or something.

Anyways, I figure I'd do that for another week and then I'll probably start asking some of you guys for matches. The best way to improve is probably receive some severe beat downs. So Kak(sorry, your GAF name is hard to remember), Hitokage, or whoever else, get ready for some Free-Eater next week.

Something else I've noticed is that when I play on pad I'm very aggressive. But on a stick where I'm not yet comfortable, I actually turtle quite a bit because the only thing I've improved on since moving from pad to stick is being able to SRK on reaction. It's just so much easier on stick then pad, when I commit to blocking on pad, I just can't get that thumb back to the front of the D-pad to start the SRK motion.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Sir Garbageman said:
Starting to use Gouken more and his wakeup options blow. Are my only options basically backdashing, jumping away, and / or blocking and hoping for the best? Same thing goes for crossups? I've eaten waaaay too many tick throws recently, tough transition from Ryu / Sagat and the noobish mashing of SRK :D

I know ex demon flip has some invincibility frames and is a decent move to create space if you're getting pressured. Anyone have any tips? Thx

I'm by no means a Gouken master, but he's been my main for a while so just my observations.

Yep, his wakeups are non-existant. If you see a cross-up coming, you can simply mash out an EX counter, but if your opponent is good he'll only fall for that once or twice. Dashing back often leaves you open if they have a long reach poke or throw a quick fireball, but for characters like El Fuerte it's usually the best way to get out of the mixup crap that's about to come your way. Still, there's been a lot of times I've back dashed and got smacked by an ultra. Gouken will definitely require you to get your blocking skills up. And, yes, tick throws are usually my bane too. Not having a wakeup reversal is tough, but if you don't mash counter on every wakeup you can usually catch your opponent once with it and really turn the battle around since it sets your zoning game back up instantly. I usually only use EX demon flip to get out of the corner..never really for wake up.

Definitely watch some Desora, Valle, and Shine Gouken videos on youtube. I'd say Desora is the most accomplished and Valle and Shine will show you some fun tricks.

Top Bottom