• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Pandaman said:
for example on my account:
it says elf 40/60 58.82%

i have played elf 60 times, i've won 40 of those matches. thus, elf is free.

Perfect. Thanks, Panda. I hope they have stats like this for Super, per character played

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
Who knows, I may even use one of those at my first tournament if I feel my skills with a stick has not yet caught up to what I can do on a pad.
Dude, you need to show up first.

Also, if you run back to the pad whenever you're having trouble on a stick, then you're not going to progress much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MarkMan said:
Hi Kadey :)

I need a haircut.
Forget about Kadey already, you know who to PM if you want a real lady (that's also pretty damn awesome at Street Fighter) in your life!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
wait a minute.

58%

how does that work?
is there anyway to get all those numbers to relate to each other?

im going to log on to a spare profile for a sec...

Pandaman said:
wait a minute.

58%

how does that work?

:lol see? shit is screwy... FIGURE IT OUT!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pandaman said:
wait a minute.

58%

how does that work?

Maybe you fought Elf 100 times, won 60 times, and the game is calculating disconnects or draws or something too?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yoshichan said:
Forget about Kadey already, you know who to PM if you want a real lady (that's also pretty damn awesome at Street Fighter) in your life!

Point me in the right direction.

:0

lol.

Kadey is pretty awesome btw.

So is the Princess.

And yea.

I like street fighter.

And food.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the_log_ride said:
:lol see? shit is screwy... FIGURE IT OUT!
well, tested it out and it looks like i was right.
3/3 = 100%
1/2 = 50%
1/3 = 33%
1/4 = 25%

maybe renta is right and it includes diconnects.
ill try ragequiting in a match. if im winning.

edit: so many flowchart sagats and kens, i cant resist beating them for all the pain they once put me through. :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MarkMan said:
Hi Kadey :)

I need a haircut.

I'd be all over you if had this.
9bjcye.gif

You can have him. He's the type that's never home.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Spiderjericho said:
WTF???

And why not get Ricky if he's Empire? He's probably top five in SFIV. And honestly, Combofiend or Valle should be on the team. Sanford, Wong and Flash are definitely top players. But Sabin and Rasaan aren't on the level of Ricky, Valle or Combo.

Art has beaten Valle..i think he's better then Ricky easily..dont know about rassan cause i havent seen him play that much but i can come up with a bunch of names off players off the top of my head who are better then valle combo or ricky..this isnt 2008

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Any given day the top 2-5 can be interchangeable between those guys. I think if Marn would have a better mindset, he would definitely be 2. Most people would love to have his execution.

Gr1mLock said:
Art has beaten Valle..i think he's better then Ricky easily..dont know about rassan cause i havent seen him play that much but i can come up with a bunch of names off players off the top of my head who are better then valle combo or ricky..this isnt 2008

It's all subjective. Wong is the only person consistently winning tournaments (except for SBO, SB4 and Evo). And who can really say who is top five right now. But most would say credentials and wins count for a lot. Ortiz won Norcal Regionals and placed top five at Level-up and WCW2. Valle won Bar Fights II, LA Riots 2, top three at WCW2 and second at Norcal Regionals.

I guess we'll have to wait until Evo to finally determine who is best.

Anyone want to play? Doesn't matter on what platform. I promise I suck.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
im always skeptical of tournaments with massive cash payouts... who is funding the GAMME thing?

Gr1mLock said:

ummmm...

haunts said:

That's what I said. I even listed their big wins in the last year. You look at the top five at all the big tournaments, and most of the names are the same from back in the early 2000s. Much respect to Art, Raasan (who is up there with Sanford, Marn, Combo, etc in the versatile character department). I personally think Flash, Sanford and J.Wong belong on the team. But the last two spots are debatable.

The Y$K*z@ is funding GAMME. Nuff said.

Hauntsy, it's a good question though. I mean with the number of games, Japanese players flying over, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Google or Microsoft trying to usurp the Cannon Bros.

SnowWolf said:
If you don't mind waiting a couple hours, I can play my scrubby Balrog tonight on GFW.

Jabbed too death. Well, it could be worse (hides under a bush to avoid AZ Greg). I watch wrestling from 6 pm to 8 pm pacific, but I'm free after.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
That's what I said. I even listed their big wins in the last year. You look at the top five at all the big tournaments, and most of the names are the same from back in the early 2000s. Much respect to Art, Raasan (who is up there with Sanford, Marn, Combo, etc in the versatile character department). I personally think Flash, Sanford and J.Wong belong on the team. But the last two spots are debatable.

Hauntsy, it's a good question though. I mean with the number of games, Japanese players flying over, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Google or Microsoft trying to usurp the Cannon Bros.

I wouldnt doubt it. All prize money aside, flying over 5 japanese fools and housing them etc is like 10 Gs in itself.

also, i think justin wong and combofiend are the two players who are truly on another level. im glad SF4 is coming to a close, seems like ive been watching the same tournament for the past 6 months now. not sure if a lot will change with super but at least we will see a lot of new match ups.

SF4 was weird tho cause console characters were virtually irrelevant for the most part and didnt add much to the tournament scene post-arcade.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Spiderjericho said:

i wasnt suggesting theyre not good....they won tourneys on the west coast but nationally there ARE a lot of good players..look at how high marn places and how online tony walked all over him..but you do have a very valid point as far as the tourney W's go..i guess that is the right way to pick people for the spots

Hmm...well, I haven't looked at the economics. But back in 2006, I'd fly from Hiroshima to South Florida and it would cost in the neighborhood of $1,300ish (round trip). The hotel...maybe $300 a night if you can throw them in a twin bed room. Food...you're looking at $5 to $20 a meal.

So $6,500, $900 for the hotel (if you do the twin bed experience, $500 for one bed or just throw them in a rat motel) and $900 for food (depending on where they eat).

grandmaster niedel said:
SF4 was weird tho cause console characters were virtually irrelevant for the most part and didnt add much to the tournament scene post-arcade.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to having a unified release (as long as Capcom doesn't pull the b.s. they did with console and arcade release of Third Strike...referring to Dreamcast).

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
DarkoMaledictus said:
Hmm... shouldn't this conversation take place in the singles section or something. Get a room or something guys ;p!

oh, i'm waiting for the room...

Kadey said:
I'd be all over you if had this.

You can have him. He's the type that's never home.

ouch...

Gotta do work, you know this Kadey :)

---

Oh yea, if anyone cares... the 20-30% off deal on mad catz products ends today.

I am 100% positive I won't be doing another deal until sometime in May. So if you want some new hardware before Super SF4 comes out. Better do it now.

Ends tonight midnight PST.

Promo code for 20% off Super SF4 stuff = SUPERWCWZ
Promo code for 30% off all fighting game stuff = WARZONE

http://store.gameshark.com

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Combofiend needs to stick with Abel, or go back and stick with Viper...

overall i'd like to see more of these guys play and stay with a character.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Combofiend needs to stick with Abel, or go back and stick with Viper...

overall i'd like to see more of these guys play and stay with a character.

This is America baby, we're all about counter picking. Even our very best players do it :D

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Rice-Eater said:
This is America baby, we're all about counter picking. Even our very best players do it :D

Wished tourneys forced you to pick one character and stick with it... counter picking is so lame. Same goes for button checking! Enforce the arcade standard so feeds dont have so much lame downtime button checking.

Thats one think I love about japan, their tourneys dont have all that lameness...

Personally I would force everyone to use a tourney stick already on location .. non of that bullshit bring your own stick. Arcade rules would be so much better for this type of competition!

Markman : Make it happen, pimp those TE sticks to all the major competitions so it becomes the standard ;p! I'm sure there would be more profit if people know its the standard and thats the actually stick they will have to use come competition time ... ;)

DarkoMaledictus said:
Wished tourneys forced you to pick one character and stick with it... counter picking is so lame. Same goes for button checking! Enforce the arcade standard so feeds dont have so much lame downtime button checking.

Thats one think I love about japan, their tourneys dont have all that lameness...
That's stuff you have to deal with when you don't have the luxury of arcades or being in Japan. Not everybody has 6 button sticks or likes the default config. Some people prefer to use the last row of buttons over the first row and so on.

Oh and streams are relatively new to the community. Before, you had to attend a tournament or just settle for results/tourney vids days or weeks later. Sitting through a minute or two of button checking is worth it if the match is good enough. :D

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
sonicspear64 said:
That's stuff you have to deal with when you don't have the luxury of arcades or being in Japan. Not everybody has 6 button sticks or likes the default config. Some people prefer to use the last row of buttons over the first row and so on.

Yeah, but like the olympics not everyone likes the rules the federation imposes, but yet if they want to compete... ;).

There would be some backlash for the first few months and eventually people would just accept. If it becomes even more popular some guidelines will eventually come out.

You could even say some sticks give an unfair advantage to some players... if its really to become a serious competition, some changes will have to come down the line.

sonicspear64 said:
Oh and streams are relatively new to the community. Before, you had to attend a tournament or just settle for results/tourney vids days or weeks later. Sitting through a minute or two of button checking is worth it if the match is good enough. :D

Yeah for sure, just wished things were a bit more standard like in japan. Makes the competition look more like a real sport than just some guys playing some game.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
Hmm...well, I haven't looked at the economics. But back in 2006, I'd fly from Hiroshima to South Florida and it would cost in the neighborhood of $1,300ish (round trip). The hotel...maybe $300 a night if you can throw them in a twin bed room. Food...you're looking at $5 to $20 a meal.

So $6,500, $900 for the hotel (if you do the twin bed experience, $500 for one bed or just throw them in a rat motel) and $900 for food (depending on where they eat).

I hope you mean per person, shit! :lol

Spiderjericho said:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to having a unified release (as long as Capcom doesn't pull the b.s. they did with console and arcade release of Third Strike...referring to Dreamcast).

Ah you mean the inconsistencies? Id like to think we are past that stage of having differences between arcade and console but we'll see.. Either awy, seems like every last one of the new characters is worth using in Super, while in console SF4 the new characters outside of maybe cammy were just used here and there.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
DarkoMaledictus said:
Markman : Make it happen, pimp those TE sticks to all the major competitions so it becomes the standard ;p! I'm sure there would be more profit if people know its the standard and thats the actually stick they will have to use come competition time ... ;)

IMHO, it already is the standard. I'm not *trying* to pimp them out. I'm just trying to get the gamers/community members a good deal!

I too am not a fan of paying full price for something lol...

+ I love tournaments, so I'm at every one anyways.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
MarkMan said:
IMHO, it already is the standard. I'm not *trying* to pimp them out. I'm just trying to get the gamers/community members a good deal!

I too am not a fan of paying full price for something lol...

+ I love tournaments, so I'm at every one anyways.

Hehe ok, I thought you were somehow with madcatz in some form or another :)!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
DarkoMaledictus said:
Hehe ok, I thought you were somehow with madcatz is some form or another :)!

oh, I'm sorry I confused you.

Yes, I am with Mad Catz. lol.

My mistake for making you think otherwise.

I'm just a fan of fighting games <3

haunts said:
I hope you mean per person, shit! :lol
Yes, per person, depending on how meals are setup. It can be cheap fixings from the dollar menu of McDonald's or Burger King or Chile's/Applebees/etc. I'm not sure how they're going to set this up.

haunts said:
Ah you mean the inconsistencies? Id like to think we are past that stage of having differences between arcade and console but we'll see.. Either awy, seems like every last one of the new characters is worth using in Super, while in console SF4 the new characters outside of maybe cammy were just used here and there.

Yeah, the Dreamcast translation wasn't popular with the fighting game community. Same goes for the Dreamcast and PSX versions of Alpha 3.

And Gilley's combo video was amazing. 20 hits.

Top Bottom