• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

To put it bluntly, gouken blows. You're gonna eat a lot of shit when you get knocked down. You might get away with a neutral jump-in combo on wake up or something online, but offline you'll eat shit everytime against people that know how to attack. Learn how to block and late tech, those are you're best options.

With gouken, you wanna play a zoning/run away game, he has some decent tools for that. Just know that if the other person knows what they're doing, you'll die when they get in, so keep them out at all costs.

Also, for gouken vids, watch Valle. Desora hasn't actually ever done anything, he's a great casual player that can find shit out in games, but doesn't go to tournaments frequently or anything. Shine sucks. Valle is the only person that plays gouken who's honed his zoning schools over 10+ years of ST. Definitely the one to watch.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
FindMyFarms said:
Just know that if the other person knows what they're doing, you'll die when they get in, so keep them out at all costs.
It just occurred to me that Ibuki is probably going to rape Gouken.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Who wants to see my scrub ass using a stick with Viper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lueD-5aOHSk&fmt=22

When I finally get Viper's stuff down with a pad, I decide to do this and some of it will probably be useless in Super but whatever.
At least it only took me a few minutes to get SJC BK down instead of months that I did with a pad. :lol

I can't do the feints stuff at all with a stick yet. I barely scratched the surface with them on a pad.

Practice makes perfect. :)

Hitokage said:
It just occurred to me that Ibuki is probably going to rape Gouken.

OH yeah for sure, she'll probably kill him for the same reason akuma does, meaty tk'd air fireball eliminates counter reversals and setups you up for mixups. In Ibuki's case it would be her air kunai. Only difference between teh two is that Ibuki will be able to make her set ups ambiguous, and then gouken's only real reversal option would be to do wake ex tatsu, which is ridiculously risky.

Whether or not ibuki can do the command grab on reaction to a gouken fireball (i'd imagine she wouldn't be able to do it on guile) will be a really big factor for that match up.

Imm0rt4l

Sir Garbageman said:
Starting to use Gouken more and his wakeup options blow. Are my only options basically backdashing, jumping away, and / or blocking and hoping for the best? Same thing goes for crossups? I've eaten waaaay too many tick throws recently, tough transition from Ryu / Sagat and the noobish mashing of SRK :D

I know ex demon flip has some invincibility frames and is a decent move to create space if you're getting pressured. Anyone have any tips? Thx
his wake options suck, but some character have it worse. Basically you want to either backdash, block, or ex demon flip, ex tatsu(but if you whiff or are blocked then your opponent has all the time in the world to punish you while gouken goes sight seeing). Ex demonflip can seem shitty in that it tracks the enemy, but with it you can mount an offensive with it granted that you land a dive kick and go into bnb. you can turn the tide very quickly if you guess right the invincibility frames are great against characters with dp, because they'll get hit on the way down with sweep if they try to dp(this does not work on cammy however, possibly his worst matchup). Gouken is very susceptible to throws, I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think crouch tech works for him(someone correct me if I'm wrong), so its best to just tech on reaction. With gouken, he doesn't have any decent links outside of his bnb, just blockstrings. If you want to be competitive, I would suggest not maining gouken, I main him, he sucks. If the other guy gets in on you, you're fucked. so you gotta zone the fuck out of them. If you're really good at reading your opponent that's cool, but counter isn't safe, it has more recovery frames than active.

I lol when I think about the gootecks podcast where he questions if gouken and Seth are broken. the gouken argument doesn't hold up at all. I'm gonna main the fuck outta Ibuki :D

Thanks for the Gouken advice guys. I main Ryu, but like I've mentioned I've started messing around with him and have had surprising success. He's obviously flawed with some big holes in his game, but I've enjoyed using him so far. To be fair though I'm a scrub level player (G2 for life!) so I'm sure I'm getting away with a ton of stuff that would get ruined against high level comp.

Find, how you do TK cannon thingie? I was trying yesterday and kept getting the ground cannon drill.

I could do her somersault move. I wanted to be able to spazz with her.

I hate how championship never offers me to record replays when I actually want them. I beat a Rose with a super psychic ultra and wanted to relive to the glory.
Also did a nice dash auto-correct ultra on a Chun. Best anti-air ever. ^_^

And I also went back to playing with the 360 thumbstick again, and wow, what a difference. I couldn't do Sakura's EX tatsu > dash > Ultra for the life of me. :lol
Well, I never could do it with the controller anyways.
Really huge difference. I still may do some trials with it in SSF4 though.

KuroNeeko

FindMyFarms said:
OH yeah for sure, she'll probably kill him for the same reason akuma does, meaty tk'd air fireball eliminates counter reversals and setups you up for mixups.

What's a TK'd air fireball?

Should I start playing Gouki to get some practice for Ibuki? I wanna use her so bad but looks like she's going to need skillz to play. ;.;

Solune

KuroNeeko said:
What's a TK'd air fireball?

Should I start playing Gouki to get some practice for Ibuki? I wanna use her so bad but looks like she's going to need skillz to play. ;.;

Tiger Knee'd.
Motion is QCF, UF.

fresquito

I can't seem to combo Balrog's Buffalo head into Ultra for full damage. My ultra don't seem to fully connect and I don't know why. I've tried different timings, heading with the three different punches, doing the ultra with kicks and punches, but no matter what, only the first punch will connect.

What's the trick to combo the full ultra?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
fresquito said:
I can't seem to combo Balrog's Buffalo head into Ultra for full damage. My ultra don't seem to fully connect and I don't know why. I've tried different timings, heading with the three different punches, doing the ultra with kicks and punches, but no matter what, only the first punch will connect.

KKK
PPP
KKK

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
Who wants to see my scrub ass using a stick with Viper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lueD-5aOHSk&fmt=22

When I finally get Viper's stuff down with a pad, I decide to do this and some of it will probably be useless in Super but whatever.
At least it only took me a few minutes to get SJC BK down instead of months that I did with a pad. :lol

I can't do the feints stuff at all with a stick yet. I barely scratched the surface with them on a pad.

Practice makes perfect. :)

Love the way you hold my stick.

Imm0rt4l said:
his wake options suck, but some character have it worse. Basically you want to either backdash, block, or ex demon flip, ex tatsu(but if you whiff or are blocked then your opponent has all the time in the world to punish you while gouken goes sight seeing). Ex demonflip can seem shitty in that it tracks the enemy, but with it you can mount an offensive with it granted that you land a dive kick and go into bnb. you can turn the tide very quickly if you guess right the invincibility frames are great against characters with dp, because they'll get hit on the way down with sweep if they try to dp(this does not work on cammy however, possibly his worst matchup). Gouken is very susceptible to throws, I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think crouch tech works for him(someone correct me if I'm wrong), so its best to just tech on reaction. With gouken, he doesn't have any decent links outside of his bnb, just blockstrings. If you want to be competitive, I would suggest not maining gouken, I main him, he sucks. If the other guy gets in on you, you're fucked. so you gotta zone the fuck out of them. If you're really good at reading your opponent that's cool, but counter isn't safe, it has more recovery frames than active.

I thought Sagat was his worst matchup :p On the ex demon flip thing, you can't do that against cammy with bar, or rufus. I never did it to you online, but offline cammy or rufus can jump back to the flip on reaction then divekick into a fat combo. I say Cammy with bar because she can only do ex dive kick while jumping back. Cammy/Gouken and Rufus/Gouken are almost the exact same matchup anyhows.

Outside of those two characters though, ex demon flip is a legit wake up option, especially against shotos, I've never seen the gouken/gief matchup though, so I can't comment on that.

Also yeah, Gouken can throw tech. To dude trying to master Gouken, just make sure you really get his zoning game down. The one thing Gouken has going for him is a great fireball, so take as much advantage of it as you can.

fresquito said:

NOtice how Balrog punches 5 times in his ultra? For the first four punches, you can determine if he punches straight, or does an uppercut (hold a kick button for him to do the uppercut.)

So ideally, you want to hold down kick for the first punch, let go so balrog does a straight punch on the second punch, then hold down kicks for the rest of them. That is, KPKKK. For some fat characters, you want to do PPKKK.

fresquito

FindMyFarms said:
NOtice how Balrog punches 5 times in his ultra? For the first four punches, you can determine if he punches straight, or does an uppercut (hold a kick button for him to do the uppercut.)

So ideally, you want to hold down kick for the first punch, let go so balrog does a straight punch on the second punch, then hold down kicks for the rest of them. That is, KPKKK. For some fat characters, you want to do PPKKK.
Thank you. I didn't notice you could hold your kicks for different results. I'm going to try some shoto characters now that I have a fight stick, and since I'm watching Hajime no Ippo these days I thought Balrog would be a great starting point :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
fresquito said:
Thank you. I didn't notice you could hold your kicks for different results. I'm going to try some shoto characters now that I have a fight stick, and since I'm watching Hajime no Ippo these days I thought Balrog would be a great starting point :D
Dudley is even better, complete with Corkscrew Blow and Dempsey Roll.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Ryan Hart playing as Dan? Awesome.

I can't wait to see competitive players pulling out Dan in Super since he'll have a legitimate FADC Ultra. :lol

Kadey said:
I love the way your stick moves when I have a firm grip on it.

Jesus Christ you two :lol

So you're saying it's less than 2.5inches long, is super thin at the base, and moves in a manner restricted by a square gate? NICE

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
I love the way your stick moves when I have a firm grip on it.

<3

FindMyFarms said:
Rush that shit down mark

~Devil Trigger~ said:
she's full of reversals

_dementia said:
invite me to the wedding pls

or run a live stream

I'm hoping for Chris Hu/James Chen commentary.

Leunam said:
Just bang already.

Already? Not again!

the_log_ride said:
Jesus Christ you two :lol

So you're saying it's less than 2.5inches long, is super thin at the base, and moves in a manner restricted by a square gate? NICE

I lol'd.

Rough week at work.

This made me smile.

oh yea, kadey check PM plz

Imm0rt4l

FindMyFarms said:
I thought Sagat was his worst matchup :p On the ex demon flip thing, you can't do that against cammy with bar, or rufus. I never did it to you online, but offline cammy or rufus can jump back to the flip on reaction then divekick into a fat combo. I say Cammy with bar because she can only do ex dive kick while jumping back. Cammy/Gouken and Rufus/Gouken are almost the exact same matchup anyhows.

Outside of those two characters though, ex demon flip is a legit wake up option, especially against shotos, I've never seen the gouken/gief matchup though, so I can't comment on that.

Also yeah, Gouken can throw tech. To dude trying to master Gouken, just make sure you really get his zoning game down. The one thing Gouken has going for him is a great fireball, so take as much advantage of it as you can.

yea he can throw tech, but I'm almost certain Gouken can't crouch tech. If ever I try to crouch tech I get something like this.

and lol yea I did believe sagat was his worst matchup, But I've since changed my mind since playing more competent cammy's like yourself and another on my friendslist, While they are both tough for him I still feel like cammy can be tougher, when she gets in on gouken. With Sagat getting in on gouken, I just have to worry about his tiger knee strings which is remedied by countering the normals in between also because of his bigger hitbox tatsu fadc ultra is much more feasible. there's a lot to talk about in that matchup, but against cammys like yours, I'm completely lost in what I'm supposed to do.

We should get some games in sometime though, that's if you don't mind some combo practice :lol

Edit: Valle thinks Gief is goukens worst matchup(or maybe he just said he really didn't like it and it was in giefs favor), I don't believe so personally. I hadn't realized just how rufus is similar to cammy for gouken. Hugo101's rufus handed my ass to me thoroughly the other day.

Imm0rt4l said:
yea he can throw tech, but I'm almost certain Gouken can't crouch tech. If ever I try to crouch tech I get something like this.

and lol yea I did believe sagat was his worst matchup, But I've since changed my mind since playing more competent cammy's like yourself and another on my friendslist, While they are both tough for him I still feel like cammy can be tougher, when she gets in on gouken. With Sagat getting in on gouken, I just have to worry about his tiger knee strings which is remedied by countering the normals in between also because of his bigger hitbox tatsu fadc ultra is much more feasible. there's a lot to talk about in that matchup, but against cammys like yours, I'm completely lost in what I'm supposed to do.

We should get some games in sometime though, that's if you don't mind some combo practice :lol

Edit: Valle thinks Gief is goukens worst matchup(or maybe he just said he really didn't like it and it was in giefs favor), I don't believe so personally. I hadn't realized just how rufus is similar to cammy for gouken. Hugo101's rufus handed my ass to me thoroughly the other day.

Gouken can definitely crouch tech, you might just be doing it early, i.e. getting the short out then getting thrown in your start up frames.

Yeah for the most part, Cammy and Rufus are almost identical. Knowing how to deal with Cammy's dive kick options makes the match a lot easier (for any character) though so you can appropriately counter when you make the proper read.. I have to rush, but when I get back I'll detail every single option she has that I'm aware of.

Imm0rt4l

so if I'm getting this right, he can crouch tech, but since the start up frames for crouching short are so long (6 or 7 frames I think) that makes it less useful/viable since he can be thrown in that time, or does that mean I just have to do it much later? Seems like a lose lose? Not all crouch techs are created equal or perhaps I just don't understand the mechanics behind crouch tech. Hmm....

fake edit: I'll just go read up on this option select ish

ArjanN

Imm0rt4l said:
so if I'm getting this right, he can crouch tech, but since the start up frames for crouching short are so long (6 or 7 frames I think) that makes it less useful/viable since he can be thrown in that time, or does that mean I just have to do it much later? Seems like a lose lose? Not all crouch techs are created equal or perhaps I just don't understand the mechanics behind crouch tech. Hmm....

fake edit: I'll just go read up on this option select ish

I think it's because his crouching short is slow, so it's doesn't work very well as an option select.

From shoryuken:
"One other thing: You can change your crouch tech normal from cr. LK to another normal by adding a 3rd button to the LP+LK. For example, Dhalsim players can use LP+LK+MP to get cr. strong from their crouch techs to fight against Rufus dive kicks. Gouken players should probably use cr. LP+LK+MK because Gouken's cr. LK is really slow."

I have to try this out myself.

Skullkid

That Hori FC3 pad is compatible with US Playstation 3 systems, right? I just want to make sure since I don't want to wait for it to come out here before buying.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Skullkid said:
That Hori FC3 pad is compatible with US Playstation 3 systems, right? I just want to make sure since I don't want to wait for it to come out here before buying.

yes that is correct

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
FindMyFarms said:
Gouken can definitely crouch tech, you might just be doing it early, i.e. getting the short out then getting thrown in your start up frames.

Yeah for the most part, Cammy and Rufus are almost identical. Knowing how to deal with Cammy's dive kick options makes the match a lot easier (for any character) though so you can appropriately counter when you make the proper read.. I have to rush, but when I get back I'll detail every single option she has that I'm aware of.

Cammy/Rufus..I've never had much trouble against them. I actually fought a ton of Cammy's the other day in Championship mode and it just came down to kiting/zoning them hard whenever I knocked them down, then baiting the ex hooligan and punishing them for it. If I keep their ex bar low, a lot of their options disappear. A good rush down Cammy is obviously hard if you guess wrong, but Cammy's are usually the only matchup I use low-counter almost exclusively. Rufus is much easier to zone from across screen since he doesn't have options like spin knuckle, ex cannon, or hooligan to close the distance as quickly as Cammy. I love facing Sagat's as well, his giant hit box is great, but man if he gets in close with his jumping elbow that shit is so hard to get out of.

Gief is definitely my hardest matchup as Gouken..I'm quite used to playing Giefs as Ryu and just using standing roundhouse to stuff everything. With Gouken, zoning with the air fireball is really useful but once they get used to that it's about using standing medium kick as much as you can like Ryu's. One green hand up close though and it's usually over. I can usually win the first two sets against a good Zangief but once they get all my tricks it's hard to keep them from getting in. Following up a blocked fireball with an lp palm usually hits, as well as countering his crossup frog splash move. But again, if it's a good player they learn this stuff fast and punish you hard with just blank jumpins into Ultra and crap.

Top Bottom