• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

GGs Satyamdas last night. Dat fucking rush down Sim is fierce. My bad when I recorded our matches, I didn't split up the sets into 2 parts. So now the vid is 18 minutes and YouTube will only take up to 10 minutes. Maybe this weekend we can run'em back.

Maybe I'll win more than 1 set this time.:lol

TheFatOne

Hey guys I am a complete beginner to fighting games and need some help. I am trying to learn how to play with Ryu. I am currently trying to do his trial, but I am stuck. How he hell do you do Crouching Heavy Punch -> Shoryuken? I have been trying for the last 30 min and nothing works. I think I am doing it to slow, but I am not sure.

fresquito

TheFatOne said:
Hey guys I am a complete beginner to fighting games and need some help. I am trying to learn how to play with Ryu. I am currently trying to do his trial, but I am stuck. How he hell do you do Crouching Heavy Punch -> Shoryuken? I have been trying for the last 30 min and nothing works. I think I am doing it to slow, but I am not sure.
Do the SRK motion and press punch two times, first when the pad is in down position, the second just after that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TheFatOne said:

There are some good websites out there with tutorials regarding the very basics of Street Fighter, but to start you off there are two ways to make combos happen.

1) Linking- This is when one basic move can follow the previous one and connect with the opponent before he had a chance to recover from the first hit. All of your moves in this scenario do their full animation and full animation recovery. The input windows can be very strict for more advanced links. An example would be jab, jab.

2) Canceling- This is what you're looking for in the above example. By inputting the motion and button press for a Shoryuken while the crouching HP is connecting, you will effectively cancel the recovery animation of the crouching HP (think when Ryu pulls his extended arm back) straight into a Shoryuken.

Also with buffering and other weird shortcut inputs, you should note that the Shoryuken motion actually has a shortcut of down-forward X 2, HP. Basically tap the lower right corner of the Dpad twice and hit punch.

EDIT: Sorry if that was too basic for you. You said you were a "complete beginner" so I assumed you knew nothing.

TheFatOne said:

Walk up next to the training dummy, and hold DOWN+TOWARDS. Press Heavy Punch, and right after, motion DOWN, then DOWN+TOWARDS + any Punch. It should be relatively quick. Good luck.

TheFatOne

fresquito said:
Do the SRK motion and press punch two times, first when the pad is in down position, the second just after that.

the_log_ride said:
Walk up next to the training dummy, and hold DOWN+TOWARDS. Press Heavy Punch, and right after, motion DOWN, then DOWN+TOWARDS + any Punch. It should be relatively quick. Good luck.

Thank you guys for the help. I finally did it, but it felt like it was luck.

GuardianE said:
There are some good websites out there with tutorials regarding the very basics of Street Fighter, but to start you off there are two ways to make combos happen.

1) Linking- This is when one basic move can follow the previous one and connect with the opponent before he had a chance to recover from the first hit. All of your moves in this scenario do their full animation and full animation recovery. The input windows can be very strict for more advanced links. An example would be jab, jab.

2) Canceling- This is what you're looking for in the above example. By inputting the motion and button press for a Shoryuken while the crouching HP is connecting, you will effectively cancel the recovery animation of the crouching HP (think when Ryu pulls his extended arm back) straight into a Shoryuken.

Also with buffering and other weird shortcut inputs, you should note that the Shoryuken motion actually has a shortcut of down-forward X 2, HP. Basically tap the lower right corner of the Dpad twice and hit punch.

EDIT: Sorry if that was too basic for you. You said you were a "complete beginner" so I assumed you knew nothing.

No you were correct in assuming I didn't know any of this information. Also the shortcuts are mind blowing. After i read the posts and used the Shoryuken shortcut my mind was blown. Thanks for all the help and information guys.

MIMIC

Banned
Played a guy online.

I went 1-25 (best of 5) :lol I've only played 1 guy online that made me feel completely helpless and this was another one.

I felt like I was watching one of those Japanese tournaments in which those guys just devastate their opponents. He played Sagat, Blanka, Ryu, Zangief, Abel, Fuerte and Akuma. I beat his Zangief with my Fuerte and then he raped my Fuerte with his Zangief. :lol

I could tell that my lack of knowledge about frame data was my downfall in many of the matches.

But I'll tale my 1 win :)

I hate it when I try to do C.Viper's FFF on the right side, and super would come out at the end instead, which happens like a 1/3 of the time, enough to be annoying. I wished I picked up Viper sooner, really like her.

MIMIC - do you remember his name? i had one of those moments last month, so demoralizing

Imm0rt4l

BotoxAgent said:
I hate it when I try to do C.Viper's FFF on the right side, and super would come out at the end instead, which happens like a 1/3 of the time, enough to be annoying. I wished I picked up Viper sooner, really like her.

MIMIC - do you remember his name? i had one of those moments last month, so demoralizing
This is a problem I have with doing vipers hard trial 5, still haven't gotten it.

MIMIC

Banned
BotoxAgent said:

Fitzh2o

He sure knows how to punish the fuck out a mistake :lol I was so close to beating him many times but one mistake wiped that all away.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
black_vegeta said:
Make sure you go level up at Big Box or some place where all the elite play at...I know I would if I had the opportunity.

Yeah, I wish. :lol Going back to see the in-laws and go to a wedding. Gonna be stuck in the inaka most of the time; lucky if I will get one day in Tokyo. I am probably going to end up hauling my 360 over there and picking up SSF4 so I don't go batshit insane!

Worst I've ever gone is 0-10 or so against someone online. Usually at that point my pride won't let me take any more beatings and I leave the room with my tail between my legs. I always fire off a "ggs" message afterwards though to let them know I appreciate the butt kicking they laid on me.

BTW Im pretty scrubbish (G2-C) but I'll be on xbox live a decent amount this weekend if someone wants to get in some matches. East Coast, mostly use Ryu, Gouken, Rose and Sagat. Gamertag: Sir Garbageman.

MIMIC

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:
Worst I've ever gone is 0-10 or so against someone online. Usually at that point my pride won't let me take any more beatings and I leave the room with my tail between my legs. I always fire off a "ggs" message afterwards though to let them know I appreciate the butt kicking they laid on me.

BTW Im pretty scrubbish (G2-C) but I'll be on xbox live a decent amount this weekend if someone wants to get in some matches. East Coast, mostly use Ryu, Gouken, Rose and Sagat. Gamertag: Sir Garbageman.

My pride deludes me into thinking I can win again :lol But every time he picked Sagat, I went -_- Against anybody else (even Ryu), I felt pretty confident.

Threi

notag
Sir Garbageman said:
That's it? Wow you must be a good SF player then, I mean I went 0-14 just yesterday against a Honda player (his down-back game was solid as hell)

Getting ass beatings makes you better though I think, you slowly learn little by little, instead of developing sloppy play playing people worse than you (although playing people worse than you helps your combo execution a bit)

LakeEarth

I recently went 3-15 against a really good Ryu/Abel player a week back or so. My worst was in my XBL 3rd Strike days where I went 1-50 against the dreaded Sandybags. Back in the day I faced him probably 200 matches, and that 1 is the only time I ever one. And he did it with a Necro/Hugo combination!

My worse beatdown ever was definitely be FMF, I went 0-22 against him. I think he used like 6 different characters against me, at least I won some rounds here and there. The worse random beatdown I've ever had was against this Seth player on PSN, final tally was 0-15.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
when i was playing El Fuerte last year, in Championship mode i kept meeting this "Kalishnikov" on PSN, could never beat his Seth.

Nose Master said:
Anyone else purposely burn a meter when they're at 4/4 so you don't get a sloppy super? Maybe I should just work on my inputs :lol
back when I used the stock VSHG, its multi-input problems resulted in Supers coming out instead of Ultras almost every single time if you had the meter.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Nose Master said:
Anyone else purposely burn a meter when they're at 4/4 so you don't get a sloppy super? Maybe I should just work on my inputs :lol
:lol

only with Gouken, the only reason i lose fireball wars.

_dementia said:
was the Seth player Q?

i receive beatdowns by any random asshole, so i don't have any stories that stand out

I don't remember his name, it was a very long time ago, about last Spring/Summer I believe. He wasn't even that good, it was because I was that bad. He basically beat me with HP and wall jump ins after I kept throwing fireballs. My knowledge of the game back then was much worse then it is now.

Same goes for that FindmyFarms guy :p

Nose Master said:

I try to, but always forget. I hate burning super on such a weak ass combo. A regular Ryu combo for me is

cross up j. MK, jab, jab, SRK (236 damage)

But this happens when I have super because of the way I do the motion for my DP

cross up j. MK, jab, jab, Super(334 damage)

4 entire bars gone, all for the equivalent of a additional fierce or roundhouse. What pisses me off more is when I fill up the super bar during the combo so I think I'm safe, but then I get super instead of SRK. I have to remember to burn up the meter even if I don't hit confirm because the meter would be better spent on a more damaging and less costly FADC into Ultra combo.

Funny how several people are posting about gettin' smacked down by Seth. Oddly enough, I have the worst win rate against him, according to my play stats :lol Something between 35 and 40% -_-

the_log_ride said:
Funny how several people are posting about gettin' smacked down by Seth. Oddly enough, I have the worst win rate against him, according to my play stats :lol Something between 35 and 40% -_-

A good Seth is the devil's idea of a joke.

There was one guy I played against that had an awesome Seth. He first used Akuma which I destroyed, then he brought Seth. Man it was so damn beastly. I mean there was nothing I could do, besides take that ass beating. I was so salty I sent ragemail. :lol

AZ Greg

YakiSOBA said:
How do you beat pesky vega players online who always do that "fly across the screen and hit you overhead" move?

I focus absorb it, but then he just like jabs me and i take even more damage ... wtf!

Should I be letting go of focus as soon as it absorbs the impact?

It really depends on the character you're using or the overall skill of the Vega player. If the Vega player is really good/consistent or you're using a large character then the Vega player can just izuna drop you when you try and focus. When the match starts try and get a feel for the player. If he does the izuna drop then your best bet is to get in the air and hit him with your best air to air normal. You can also use a character specific tool to deal with it if you have one. Like an air throw or a teleport. If the Vega player can't consistently izuna drop you then you can FA him for free. If he crosses you up then dash towards him as soon as you absorb the claw slash and punish. If he doesn't cross you up then continue to charge your FA. Release it once it's fully charged and go into whatever huge punishment you've got.

MIMIC and Lyte Edge, you guys are on XBL right? I'm pretty sure I've played you a long time ago MIMIC. We need to get some matches in! And any other XBL GAFers who haven't added me yet, feel free! Tag is AZ Greg. Always nice to have GAFers on your list to play with, especially with Super about to drop.

MIMIC

Banned
AZ Greg said:
MIMIC and Lyte Edge, you guys are on XBL right? I'm pretty sure I've played you a long time ago MIMIC. We need to get some matches in! And any other XBL GAFers who haven't added me yet, feel free! Tag is AZ Greg. Always nice to have GAFers on your list to play with, especially with Super about to drop.

I'm bored. I'll be on in a few minutes :)

Grifter

Rice-Eater said:
4 entire bars gone, all for the equivalent of a additional fierce or roundhouse. What pisses me off more is when I fill up the super bar during the combo so I think I'm safe, but then I get super instead of SRK. I have to remember to burn up the meter even if I don't hit confirm because the meter would be better spent on a more damaging and less costly FADC into Ultra combo.

Funny, I tend to get the DP first, then the super cancel. Makes me look cool when I'm just going for f.FP > c.FP > DP but really it's the damn shortcut super motion.

BotoxAgent said:
I played Arturo's Seth last weekend, what a beast he is!!

I played his Seth and Dhalsim too! Many moons ago, though. Ended up ahead in matches like 12-9 but I'm certain he'd wreck me offline. Also beat him in the finals of a Mark of the Wolves tourney. I'm more comfortable with that matchup if it were to occur offline today. :lol

played one of those weird kens chilling in crouchblock today, i didn't know they still existed, nor did i know they could accumulate respactable GP and make it into G1 finals.

terrible.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Anyone want some games on GFWL? I tried playing last night and got even more terrible after my 3-4 week layoff. Need to relevel up.

GFWL: chickeny dinner

fresquito

I can't remember what was my biggest beating, but it sure was hard. Maybe I could win one game, although some were closer than others. The guy was changing characters all the time though. The thing is, I think this is the best way to learn, so if someone is bored enough to stomp over me again and again, tha's fine by me, because the more I play these people, the better I'll get.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
One of my most exciting matches ever was against a Seth. And it was his best match up too. I was using Gief and went against a far more technical player than I am. He was really destroying me with the whole keep-away limbs, wall jumping and sonic booms. I was patience though and abused far standing rh and sweep, along with a lariat here and there trading with his srks. He basically had more than half life left in one round and I was down to around 10%. He tried the sonic boom, ultra tactic but I somehow managed to time a jumping splash into Ultra. The guy was probably salty.

gutabo

Is there a focus attack tier list anywhere? Like, fastest, more range, I guess Sakura's, Fuerte's and Fei's are up there, but what about the others? Thanks in advance!

Threi said:
That's it? Wow you must be a good SF player then, I mean I went 0-14 just yesterday against a Honda player (his down-back game was solid as hell)

Getting ass beatings makes you better though I think, you slowly learn little by little, instead of developing sloppy play playing people worse than you (although playing people worse than you helps your combo execution a bit)

Nope, I'm scrubtastic. I'm sure the guys out there who beat me 0-10 could beat up on me indefinitely without me eeking out a win, I just back out before it gets too embarrassing. I know I should stick out for longer, but its either back out or chuck my fightpad against the wall.

You're absolutely right though, I usually play the best when I'm playing someone equally skilled or better, and nothing is more satisfying than finally getting a decisive win against someone who beasted you for a bunch of matches. Plus, like you said it is the best way to learn higher level play, get better feel for certain matchups, etc. I just have to learn how to take my lumps for longer and not get too bitter when I get worked online.

kiun

AZ Greg said:

I'll send a friend request tonight. Its been a while but I remember our matches had pretty decent connection.

AZ Greg

GGs earlier MIMIC!

Sorry about the "ragequit" in the middle of a match. I had just remembered it was my day to go pick up my little brother from school. I was already late so I had to bail right then.

Bah, speaking of Seths, I need a bit more help with the match-up. I have to lowest win-rate againsth him which is around 30%. I'm getting a bit better at it though because I keep remembering to block high, because playing charge characters for so long, I'm so use to holding down back.
But if that doesn't even work, I counter pick with my Sakura. Don't know why I'm better playing Seth with her rather than Balrog, Bison or Chun, but whatever.

gutabo

AZ Greg said:
GGs earlier MIMIC!

Sorry about the "ragequit" in the middle of a match. I had just remembered it was my day to go pick up my little brother from school. I was already late so I had to bail right then.
Hey Greg, I think I'm ready for your Sim! Send an invite!

gutabo

gutabo said:
Hey Greg, I think I'm ready for your Sim! Send an invite!
GGs Greg, I'm still learning how to use Seth, but that matchup(Seth-Dhalsim) is 100 times funnier than Honda-Dhalsim(which is just a guessing game that mostly favors Sim). Well, Seth-Honda is worse. Looking forward to play you again soon, hopefully I'll get more wins!

PD: Constructive criticism is welcome! Lag is a given :(

Top Bottom