• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

XenoRaven

I just changed my button config today to make it so that the 3 straight buttons on my TE stick are l, m, and h, and the ones that are angled do nothing. This is after several months of l, m, h mapped to the white buttons, and PPP/KKK mapped to the black. Does anyone here play this way? I noticed an instant difference in how easy it was to do pianos and slides. It just feels better, even after being so used to the other way. The only thing I really have to work on is I'm used to using the black buttons to hit my Ultra, in the event that I accidentally only hit two buttons instead of three. If I can train myself to do that, I may stick with this.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
XenoRaven said:
I just changed my button config today to make it so that the 3 straight buttons on my TE stick are l, m, and h, and the ones that are angled do nothing. This is after several months of l, m, h mapped to the white buttons, and PPP/KKK mapped to the black. Does anyone here play this way? I noticed an instant difference in how easy it was to do pianos and slides. It just feels better, even after being so used to the other way. The only thing I really have to work on is I'm used to using the black buttons to hit my Ultra, in the event that I accidentally only hit two buttons instead of three. If I can train myself to do that, I may stick with this.

Always went with arcade standard. 3 punches on top, 3 kicks at the bottom all else does nothing.

MIMIC

Banned
I got beat by the scrubbiest Sagat last night.....twice. :lol It floored the shit out of me. I then proceeded to wreck his shit for 10 matches and he didn't win a single round.

Sagat is too good :(

XenoRaven said:

I'm going to start practicing again with this plan to. I've been using the angled buttons because that's what everybody else does. But it just doesn't work for me. I get all confused when going from lights to medium and so on because they're not parallel to each other.

So I just Bison-trolled Championship mode.
I just kept abusing teleport no matter the situation. Even if I was in a corner, I would spam it back. Teleport in front of them on occasion just to teleport behind them. Twas epic.
I was pretty surprised I beat everyone I faced. :lol

GG's AZ

I was proud of the way I played my Rawg against your Vega. Knowing that I only won 1 set before out of all our previous matches. I'm slowly understanding the matchup and it's starting to show.

I noticed you changed up your play style towards the end. You relied on zoning and spacing. That's something I need to work on with my Rawg.

I'm also trying to bring dat purp back into decent play status. I'm so damn rusty with him.

It was fun.

AZ Greg

black_vegeta said:
GG's AZ

I was proud of the way I played my Rawg against your Vega. Knowing that I only won 1 set before out of all our previous matches. I'm slowly understanding the matchup and it's starting to show.

I noticed you changed up your play style towards the end. You relied on zoning and spacing. That's something I need to work on with my Rawg.

I'm also trying to bring dat purp back into decent play status. I'm so damn rusty with him.

It was fun.

GGs.

Yeah, you're starting to better deal with some of my shenanigans. Like hitting me with the occasional reversal headbutts after I do a df.HK. Which then forces me to try and bait it out, which can be risky. You were also headbutt trading (In your favor too, I think) with my cross-up ex sky high claw's. And you were using one of Rog's pokes (I think s.HP) really well to stuff some of my offense.

I was getting a little salty in the middle of our set when you were catching up in wins. :lol You started to play more defensively and I kept rushing down into jabs which turned into fat damage. Or headbutts which turned into fat damage. Or ex dash punches that turned into fat damage. And since you were sitting on your charge a little more than you usually do you were able to have a headbutt ready when I went off the wall and went for the izuna drop. That style then forces me to play poke and run like I did to win the last 5 or 6 in a row, which I don't really like to do (Unless I'm playing as Sim :lol). I remember one round, before I started playing defensively and sitting on my life lead, where I was up like 75% to 10% and you were sitting back still playing defensively and I couldn't help myself and still stupidly rushed in. :lol

The other matches were fun too. It's always nice using secondaries in a good connection like ours. Even if I suck and don't really know how to use the character I pick I can at least land a nice combo or two since the connection is good. :lol

AZ Greg said:
GGs.

Yeah, you're starting to better deal with some of my shenanigans. Like hitting me with the occasional reversal headbutts after I do a df.HK. Which then forces me to try and bait it out, which can be risky. You were also headbutt trading (In your favor too, I think) with my cross-up ex sky high claw's. And you were using one of Rog's pokes (I think s.HP) really well to stuff some of my offense.

I was getting a little salty in the middle of our set when you were catching up in wins. :lol You started to play more defensively and I kept rushing down into jabs which turned into fat damage. Or headbutts which turned into fat damage. Or ex dash punches that turned into fat damage. And since you were sitting on your charge a little more than you usually do you were able to have a headbutt ready when I went off the wall and went for the izuna drop. That style then forces me to play poke and run like I did to win the last 5 or 6 in a row, which I don't really like to do (Unless I'm playing as Sim :lol). I remember one round, before I started playing defensively and sitting on my life lead, where I was up like 75% to 10% and you were sitting back still playing defensively and I couldn't help myself and still stupidly rushed in. :lol

The other matches were fun too. It's always nice using secondaries in a good connection like ours. Even if I suck and don't really know how to use the character I pick I can at least land a nice combo or two since the connection is good. :lol
The poke and run shit straight was pissing me off. :lol. I was used to your offensive play, then all sudden it changed to "poke and let me sit back and wait until he makes his move.". I was thinking what's up with the bitch made play? :lol. Since your typical play wasn't as strong as it was in the past, I give it up to for changing your play and adjusting.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
dragonballjoseph said:
A moment ago, whilst trolling with Sagat's jap uppercut, I accidentally figured out how to kara-uppercut. :lol

hey man, do we have eachother on xbl? You under the name dbjoseph? ^^ wanna play some games in half an hour or so?

Though it might lag, its worth a shot =)

fresquito

Damn it! The stick on my TE fightstick has died on me!

WTF?! I thought this was the high quality version and it's lasted me less than a damn week! Luckily enough I decided to buy it at a store at a higher price instead of ordering it online.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
fresquito said:

WTF?! I thought this was the high quality version and it's lasted me less than a damn week! Luckily enough I decided to buy it at a store at a higher price instead of ordering it online.
That's odd. Mine's been put through a lot of use and it still works great - just needs some alcohol rub down now and then to wipe off all the dead skin cells.

Take's a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Jenga said:
Well, despite the rape you gave me I had a lot of fun. We should play again sometime, I have next to no experience playing against characters that can actually mixup, I'm too used to trying to mixup people myself as Abel then actually trying to defend against one.

Yeah, I'm down with playing again sometime.

If you want some constructive criticism: your biggest problem is that you were too predictable. I threw out so many unsafe fierce knuckles but you would just run into them since you'd do the same thing in the same situations over and over. And when I'd whiff a fierce knuckle, you weren't punishing real well. Later on you adjusted a bit and started using that c.hp into ultra to greater effect though.

Your other problem was that you just didn't know the match very well (made me lol when you were talking to someone else on Steam or something and were like "I'm playing this Viper and I have no idea what the fuck is going on" or something :lol )

Abel's one of the few characters I haven't really played as that much, so I might be wrong, but...from my perspective, most of the cast can mash their way out of Viper's blockstrings, but not Abel. He doesn't have a really reliable get out of jail free card. He has a really hard time with Viper's blockstrings and wakeup pressure. But it works the other way around too. Viper/Abel's one of those bipolar matches where the first person who gets the knockdown and the momentum is usually gonna win. But when you'd get that momentum, you weren't able to maintain it because your offense was predictable. For example, like 90% of the time after you'd do c.lp x3 you'd do that step kick or whatever and then try tornado throw or something that gets beaten by fierce knuckle or ex seismo.

Anyway, I recorded a fair bit of our matches to see how my computer would perform while playing a game and recording, so I can upload some to my YouTube if you want some Abel players to tell you what you were doing wrong.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
fresquito said:

yo dude, make sure the switch on the top is set to DP not RS.

MIMIC

Banned
dragonballjoseph said:
A moment ago, whilst trolling with Sagat's jap uppercut, I accidentally figured out how to kara-uppercut. :lol

Just yesterday I was playing around with that move after figuring it out (I don't play Sagat so I never looked into it online). I originally thought that you had to hit HK (which is possible, but MUCH harder) but after messing around a bit, I found that you can do it with LK, iirc.

It's such a funny move. "I'm going to do a kick! Nope, I just got closer to you to fireball/tiger knee/upper cut your ass!"

Sagat is a cheater :(

def sim

MIMIC said:
Just yesterday I was playing around with that move after figuring it out (I don't play Sagat so I never looked into it online). I originally thought that you had to hit HK (which is possible, but MUCH harder) but after messing around a bit, I found that you can do it with LK, iirc.

It's such a funny move. "I'm going to do a kick! Nope, I just got closer to you to fireball/tiger knee/upper cut your ass!"

Sagat is a cheater :(

F.HK Kara TU is much faster; it's almost like a teleport uppercut move. The f.short version is a bit too slow and obvious to be of use.

Fun to mess around with though, definitely.

Corky said:
hey man, do we have eachother on xbl? You under the name dbjoseph? ^^ wanna play some games in half an hour or so?

Though it might lag, its worth a shot =)
Yeah that's me. Unfortunately, I'm sleeping at 5 am.
If you still want to do some and I'm online, just shoot me an invite and I should be in it in a minute or two.

Nice power session Wiseblade.
I suggest that you try to be a bit less passive and try to benefit more on the knock down. And using the shower kick on a knock would help alot especially on charge characters since it would cause me to lose my charge, getting rid of some of my options.

Leunam

Against Viper, most of your air normals will beat out anything she has. Don't get too comfortable around her, I don't think you're particularly safe anywhere on the screen. If she does a Seismo for pressure, be prepared to block a second one since some like to throw out two at a time. Be prepared to block in any direction, since most Vipers follow up neutral throw with superjump > HK > Burning Kick/Crossup Burning Kick. LP and MP Thunder Knuckle are safe, but if they keep pushing you with is, EX Tornado Throw is a good counter. Only downside is that it burns meter.

That's all I can think of for now, not my best matchup.

Grifter

_dementia said:
Hey, SFIV gaf, what can Abel do vs Viper other than try his best not to get knocked down.

neutral jump normals to stuff her air

on knockdown, I alternate deep cross-ups, roll, and walk up shenanigans

burn the meter for an ex roll if she's tricky with BK momentum

if they tend to throw after a close BK or overhead, TT; if they go for c.mp link as a block string, ex TT

s.lk/f.mk range is good for you, bad for her

I like storing super if I can to catch stuff like far c.mk xx TK

if they're wake-up nutty, I like to be at 2 character range and delay a c.mp on wakeup to a) beat ex seismo, b) block/whiff a TK, or c) duck ex BK

Now... I'm upgrading my Fightstick SE. What model stick is in the TE?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Grifter said:
Now... I'm upgrading my Fightstick SE. What model stick is in the TE?

Joystick is a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT or JLF-TP-8Y (only difference is that the 8YT comes with a mounting plate, but you can use the mounting plate from the MadCatz joystick).

Buttons can be any 30mm Japanese push button. The TE uses Sanwa OBSF-30. If you want a slightly stiffer button (probably closer to the feel of the SE's original parts), try Seimitsu PS-14-Gs or PS-14-Ks.

MIMIC said:
I got beat by the scrubbiest Bison last night....once. :lol It floored the shit out of me. I then proceeded to wreck his shit for 10 matches and he didn't win a single round.

Bison is too good :(

fixed.

sounds like every other night.

Grifter

ExMachina said:
Joystick is a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT or JLF-TP-8Y (only difference is that the 8YT comes with a mounting plate, but you can use the mounting plate from the MadCatz joystick).

Buttons can be any 30mm Japanese push button. The TE uses Sanwa OBSF-30. If you want a slightly stiffer button (probably closer to the feel of the SE's original parts), try Seimitsu PS-14-Gs or PS-14-Ks.

Thanks. I have a few sticks (Happ, Seimitsu) and was thinking of different ways to go for this one so I like your suggestions. Was looking towards a JLF and octagonal plate but one or the other is sold out everything I check. Dealing with the limited inventory of these stick shops is painful.

_dementia said:
My friend was super salty because he lost a tournament match because his stick was acting sluggish. Turns out he had it set to LS instead of DP.
:lol

Sonuva... Have to check what mine is set on. Couple days ago, I was trying to do some trials, and I couldn't pull them off.

TaKeRx said:
Anyone wants to play? Main Boxer BTW
GT: STi xTaKeRx

Ugh, I didn't know you main Rawg. I can't stand Rawg mirrors.

Although I do need some practice because I suck balls at that matchup.

I can also throw in my janky Dictator into the mix to level him up.

Top Bottom