• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
dgenx said:
I'm flying to Miami on Thrusday, I just added an arcade stick to my shopping list.

what? does EVERYONE here plays with a fightpad or arcade stick?

Everyone here plays with a fight stick because of the belief that it'll make you 100 times better at the game, plus give you a 15 inch penis.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknopathetic said:
Capcom really murdered OC Remix on these character theme remixes.
They sometimes lean a little too far towards being techno for my tastes, but on the whole I'm pleasantly surprised. It makes me wish they added some SF3 characters into the game. Makoto Jungle Jazz is one of the few video game remixes that can get you laid.

Oichi said:
Everyone here plays with a fight stick because of the belief that it'll make you 100 times better at the game, plus give you a 15 inch penis.

Maybe i should stop playing with a stick!
Wouldn't want any shrinkage :D

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Oichi said:

I knew there was something besides gettin beter in the gamer.

I'm gonna play alittle longer the Vesperia and hold on SF IV When I got my arcade stick and.. oh shit! homework!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dgenx said:
I knew there was something besides gettin beter in the gamer.

I'm gonna play alittle longer the Vesperia and hold on SF IV When I got my arcade stick and.. oh shit! homework!
Freudian slip?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Takuan said:
360: AA, 720p throughout
PS3: the one Gaffers and Japanese people will be playing, doesn't have AA, downscales to 630p on ultras

Not enough people have played online to know which is better. From what's been reported, if the connection is solid, the gameplay is essentially lagless. I've only played the 360 version and it's been this way for me.

If you don't care about competitive play, get the 360 version.

Where are people coming up with this "get the PS3 version if you want more competitive play" stuff? I've heard this claim several times in this thread and it defies all logic for the US version (IMO).

SapientWolf said:
They sometimes lean a little too far towards being techno for my tastes, but on the whole I'm pleasantly surprised. It makes me wish they added some SF3 characters into the game. Makoto Jungle Jazz is one of the few video game remixes that can get you laid.
Damn that was smooth! :D
Oichi said:
:lol

Pallaris

Takuan said:
360: AA, 720p throughout
PS3: the one Gaffers and Japanese people will be playing, doesn't have AA, downscales to 630p on ultras

Not enough people have played online to know which is better. From what's been reported, if the connection is solid, the gameplay is essentially lagless. I've only played the 360 version and it's been this way for me.

If you don't care about competitive play, get the 360 version.

Where is this bullshit from? Not knocking you, just saying, cause that sounds really shite for PS3 owners, again. If the 630p thing = no tearing then win, (i've seen tearing in SF4 video but no idea which version it's from)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
henhowc said:
Where are people coming up with this "get the PS3 version if you want more competitive play" stuff? I've heard this claim several times in this thread and it defies all logic for the US version (IMO).
In fact, the Gamestop tourney will be on XBox 360's using the default gamepad D:

StuBurns

Banned
Pallaris said:
Where is this bullshit from? Not knocking you, just saying, cause that sounds really shite for PS3 owners, again. If the 630p thing = no tearing then win, (i've seen tearing in SF4 video but no idea which version it's from)

There's tearing on the 360 version? First I've heard about it. I'm getting the PS3 version either way. I hadn't actually heard about the 630p thing either.

Is there a Beyond3D thread or something?

CPS2

Just gotta say, don't assume that PS3 will have better competition. It all depends on where you're from. Just because 360 isn't that popular in Japan, doesn't mean you'll get better comp on PS3. Unless you live in Asia, I wouldn't count on getting a decent low latency connection to Japanese players. Also, as always the best competition is at the arcade.

Cynar

henhowc said:

evo is using ps3, japanese players use ps3, srk pro's will mostly be on ps3, just get whatever your friends have, it shouldn't bother you either way.

Mileena

Banned
UC1 said:
Just gotta say, don't assume that PS3 will have better competition. It all depends on where you're from. Just because 360 isn't that popular in Japan, doesn't mean you'll get better comp on PS3. Unless you live in Asia, I wouldn't count on getting a decent low latency connection to Japanese players. Also, as always the best competition is at the arcade.
EVO

yurinka

This Friday I was playing with my friends in the 360 versions and we were playing with Ken / Ryu and couldn't beat him in like 2 hours. He's hard and cheap when you winned a round. Maybe it happened because we didn't have an arcade stick or a proper pad for fighting games.

But the 360 wasn't as bad as I supposed. It worked decently with the analog.

stuburns said:
There's tearing on the 360 version? First I've heard about it. I'm getting the PS3 version either way. I hadn't actually heard about the 630p thing either.

Is there a Beyond3D thread or something?
I never saw a single tearing in 360 or PS3.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Guled said:
what time, and what 2 site did you write for?

I know of a few Euro websites putting there's up around midnight since it would technically be the 16th over there. As for the publications I work with, I don't advertise them so if you want to know, feel free to PM.

Ridli

donkey show said:
dssfscreens5.jpg

Dude, I love that Zeon flag in the background.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's not proven that SF4 was 630p on PS3. It was just one poster mentioning it (not Quaz). And it's 630p on ultras. That's such incredible minutia.

CPS2

corkscrewblow said:

If EVO's using the PS3 version, all you need is to borrow or buy a PS3 stick. I only have a 360, but am in no hurry to purchase a new console just for one game.

Teknoman

dgenx said:
I'm flying to Miami on Thrusday, I just added an arcade stick to my shopping list.

what? does EVERYONE here plays with a fightpad or arcade stick?

If you're used to controllers, just use the fightpad. If you want to learn how to use a stick/ are used to using em, use a fightstick (if you can find one).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I read in GameInformer that the analog sticks on the controllers (both X360 and PS3 I assume) worked surprisingly well. Has anyone tested this and commented on it?

corkscrewblow said:
So what? The PS3 version is only being used because they have lots of PS3's (considering that there is no T5: DR this year).

UC1 said:
If EVO's using the PS3 version, all you need is to borrow or buy a PS3 stick. I only have a 360, but am in no hurry to purchase a new console just for one game.
This is pretty much it. I don't think many people will let you borrow their sticks since shit gets stolen at tournies! :lol

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I've been lurking around this thread a little while now, but I'm still wondering: what is the consensus on the platform for people with both 360 and ps3? I'm still debating which to get. I hate the 360 d-pad (like everyone else) so I'm guessing PS3 would be the smarter choice (if I don't get a gamepad), but Live > PSN.

I'm sure there's plenty of others in my position. Any thoughts?

Y2Kev said:
It's not proven that SF4 was 630p on PS3. It was just one poster mentioning it (not Quaz). And it's 630p on ultras. That's such incredible minutia.
i really want to know how they even figured that out
dynamically changing the resolution during an ultra sounds so weird

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I don't get what's the big deal, if the versions are basically identical then get the one where your friends are. Both consoles will have plenty of competition.

StuBurns

Banned
Stabby McSter said:
i really want to know how they even figured that out
dynamically changing the resolution during an ultra sounds so weird
It does seem odd, halving framerate would make far more sense like NG2 did.

GQman2121

Banned
God bless the person who decided not to pick up their pre-order at Game Crazy in Wheaton, MD. Their 48 hour hold policy is apparently no joke.

DSCN0578.jpg

I had to drive an hour both ways from Baltimore, but it was worth it to not have to wait an extra month for GS to get their shipments in. Bring on the game!!!

CPS2

sonicspear64 said:
So what? The PS3 version is only being used because they have lots of PS3's (considering that there is no T5: DR this year).

This is pretty much it. I don't think many people will let you borrow their sticks since shit gets stolen at tournies! :lol

You know the first thing I bought this generation, before any consoles or games, was 2 of the VSHG sticks. They were such a bargain!

AZ Greg

UC1 said:

Seriously. Maybe if EVO forced you to use the DualShock 3 then I could see why EVO could be used as a reason to grab the PS3 version, but a stick is a stick. Plus, of all the people asking which version to get, how many of them will end up actually going to EVO? :lol

Where your friends are, equipment you own, online stability, and technical differences should be what makes your version choice, not EVO.

yurinka

h0pper said:
I've been lurking around this thread a little while now, but I'm still wondering: what is the consensus on the platform for people with both 360 and ps3? I'm still debating which to get. I hate the 360 d-pad (like everyone else) so I'm guessing PS3 would be the smarter choice (if I don't get a gamepad), but Live > PSN.

Well, the PS3 version also features Home stuff unlockable from the game and custom XMB tracklist, too. And the online works perfectly even US vs Jap or vs Eur at least before the US / Euro launch.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
yurinka said:
Well, the PS3 version also features Home stuff unlockable from the game and custom XMB tracklist, too.

the XMB custom tracklist is appealing. I guess I'll have to see how many of my friends pick it up for 360. But, I am leaning towards ps3.

Guled

NameGenerated said:
I don't get what's the big deal, if the versions are basically identical then get the one where your friends are. Both consoles will have plenty of competition.
That's what I've been saying, nothing else matters

DenogginizerOS said:
I read in GameInformer that the analog sticks on the controllers (both X360 and PS3 I assume) worked surprisingly well. Has anyone tested this and commented on it?

the sticks on the 360 controller work well in the sense of you can do a move. but it's fucking horrible to play with. I can't do moves on command, i can't really do my combos the way i'd like, and low blocking is hit or miss since there's no way if you're pressgin d/b instead of just dn. get a stick or another. playing with the 360 pad makes my hands want to vomit and it's extremely frustrating!

h0pper said:

So far, the 360 version's online isn't that good IMO. I posted my impressions on page 99, here's what i wrote.

me said:
Online seems pretty flaky for me ATM. now that some of the initial hype has worn off I'm seeing the flaws in the online.

1)In ranked matches, once you beat someone it kicks you back to the search screen to look for another player. really breaks up the fighting.
2) On unranked matches it keeps you in the "lobby" but you don't go right back to the character select screen like you do in HD remix, really breaks up the arcade feel of playing someone over and over and over again up.
3) When playing unranked, the network status never shows up for me. I don't know why.
4) When you search for a match, only a list of 3 people come up at a time. I'm assuming that's because very few people are playing but there's way more than 4 people with the game playing on XBL. I might be doing something wrong tho
5) Getting into a match can be tricky. You'll connect and it'll either timeout connecting to their lobby or timeout waiting at the screen where you can get ready.
6) Quick match doesn't bring you directly to the player, it brings you to the search screen where you can select someone to fight.

My hope is that I'm doing something wrong and on tuesday thing's will be better...but idk.

But when you do get in a match and play with someone with a decent connection, it's pretty much on par with the SP exp. It seems a whole lot eaiser to find a match through arcade requests than by searching.

My hypes kinda died down because of having to play on the 360 pad though. I'm desperately waiting for tuesday so i can pick up my TE stick from GS and really start working on playing the game right.

I'm getting both versions but I'm honestly more amped for the PS3 version at this point. I don't think I'm gonna get the 360 TE stick after all though....the controller frustrates me to no end and completely turns me off from playing the game on the 360 ever again.

Cynar

Wrestlemania said:
Does that work any differently to how it will on the 360, or is it just being mentioned because it's unusual for a PS3 game to have it?

it's pretty much the same, moot point to be brought up really.

You'd have to really hate the music to use custom soundtracks, I just think it'd be worse since they're always playing and bear no relation to what you're doing.

Wrestlemania said:
Does that work any differently to how it will on the 360, or is it just being mentioned because it's unusual for a PS3 game to have it?

i think only 3 ps3 games use custom soundtrack. it's very rare, all 360 games have custom soundtracks though and you can stream it from the network (can't do it on the ps3 version)

Xevren

Trying to figure out where I'm supposed to pick up my preorder is annoying. The Gamestop I pre-ordered it at closed down recently, but I was told it was just moved to another store. Called said store and they said that wasnt true and to call another store. Called that store to hear the same thing yet again. Oi vey.

____

bdizzle said:
i think only 3 ps3 games use custom soundtrack. it's very rare, all 360 games have custom soundtracks though and you can stream it from the network (can't do it on the ps3 version)

Nah there's about 15 games but that's still not many

yurinka

BTW As I remember Ryu, Chun-Li and Seth themes have extra remixes, and Honda, Dhalsim, Blanka, Vega (US), Gen, Dan and Rufus doesn't have themes in this game.

Wrestlemania said:
It isn't usual in a PS3 game. Sony implemented the feature in a recent firmware update, and is the developer who decides to implement it or not in a game.

Works in this way: in-game you open the console menu (XMB) and select a MP3 or a tracklist from your console, adjust the volume if needed, go back to the game and your music tracks will be played instead ot the game tracks. The fx sounds and voices of the game will be played, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6xwc-8zrY

AZ Greg

bdizzle said:
I'm getting both versions but I'm honestly more amped for the PS3 version at this point. I don't think I'm gonna get the 360 TE stick after all though....the controller frustrates me to no end and completely turns me off from playing the game on the 360 ever again.

So the 360 controller frustrated you enough that you decided not to buy a better controller? Wouldn't it be smarter to just not get the 360 version?

Top Bottom