• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MrMephistoX

Originally Posted by DoctorWho:
So now that I'm canceling my Fightpad ($59.99 mother-****ing dollars!) I'm thinking about ordering this - http://www.amazon.ca/Playstation-3-F...4750094&sr=8-1

So are these really that good?

NO! Save yourself. I honestly thought it would be okay but it actually makes the 360 Hori stick seem like an LE SFIV stick by comparison. It's not so much the stick itself but rather the button placement : it just felt off to me. The SF SE Stick though is godly I just wish I could get SFIII to work but hopefully someone will add 3rd party accessory compatibility to PS2 bc in a firmware update.

xabre

Banned
UC1 said:
They listed 2 PAL, non limited edition versions, I'm presuming the cheaper one would be from the UK. Although it could actually be from anywhere, as every version of the game is region free on 360. All I know is, it's not the version you'll be playing on Friday :lol

What? What does this mean? What version will I be playing on Friday?

MrMephistoX said:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho:
So now that I'm canceling my Fightpad ($59.99 mother-****ing dollars!) I'm thinking about ordering this - http://www.amazon.ca/Playstation-3-F...4750094&sr=8-1

So are these really that good?

NO! Save yourself. I honestly thought it would be okay but it actually makes the 360 Hori stick seem like an LE SFIV stick by comparison. It's not so much the stick itself but rather the button placement : it just felt off to me. The SF SE Stick though is godly I just wish I could get SFIII to work but hopefully someone will add 3rd party accessory compatibility to PS2 bc in a firmware update.
I keep hearing such conflicting reports. Too bad I can't find anywhere to just try one out.

CPS2

xabre said:
What? What does this mean? What version will I be playing on Friday?

http://www.cdwow.com.au/Street-Fighter-IV/product/view/6274949

http://www.cdwow.com.au/STREET-FIGHTER-IV/product/view/6495701

^Exactly the same product from the same store, 2 different prices.

I'm guessing the cheaper one is an import, it's listed as PAL, so it's most likely from the UK. But all versions of the game on 360 (except for NTSC-US, this is yet to be confirmed) are region free. So if you were psychic you could have ordered a copy from Japan and already have it.

The version you'll play on Friday is the one you walk into a store and buy :lol

Teknoman

-PXG- said:
"Africa Stage" reminds me of the Lion King :lol

Also, El Fuerte's moves are named after Mexican food. OMG! CAPCOM AM RACISTZ!!one11elven!!!! :lol Oh, and his move list is a fucking tome too. Have fun.

Lucha Chef powa!

Also Mr. Mephisto, Fighting Stick 3 works fine with all PS2 fighting games, so its probably just the Mad Catz sticks that need patching in.

DoctorWho said:
I keep hearing such conflicting reports. Too bad I can't find anywhere to just try one out.

Its responsive enough that you can pretty much do whatever move you set out to do, but it doesnt have a slant in the front, so resting your arms on it might wear after awhile. Button placement is a little close to the joystick itself, so that might mess you up abit if you cant adjust. Its not really bad at all.

CPS2

xabre said:
I'm still confused, I already ordered the cheaper one. Are you saying they won't deliver this?

I'm just saying that if you're mad impatient like me, you'll get a copy from a brick and mortar shop. I actually ordered a copy from CD wow when I saw it was around $60, but then changed it to Persona 4 and store credit.

Also, I asked if they could ship early so that it'd arrive on the 20th, and they said the best they could do is ship on the 20th.

xabre

Banned
UC1 said:
I'm just saying that if you're mad impatient like me, you'll get a copy from a brick and mortar shop. I actually ordered a copy from CD wow when I saw it was around $60, but then changed it to Persona 4 and store credit.

Also, I asked if they could ship early so that it'd arrive on the 20th, and they said the best they could do is ship on the 20th.

Damn, so I just won't get it till next week? Bit disappointing, but I guess I'll have to wait.

What are you doing about a gamepad or arcade stick?

Wait, did someone say that the gamestop tournament is using REGULAR 360 PADS?! What...the...fuck...

Can you set challenges for "friends only" in arcade mode? I don't want a bunch of randoms interrupting me, but I'd like it if my online buddies could.

Chorazin

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Wait, did someone say that the gamestop tournament is using REGULAR 360 PADS?! What...the...fuck...

Can you set challenges for "friends only" in arcade mode? I don't want a bunch of randoms interrupting me, but I'd like it if my online buddies could.

The rules for the Gamestop tourney say "Can only use controllers provided buy the location." That pretty much means 360 pads.

Apparently you cannot set it to friends only, but hopefully that will be patched in.

-PXG-

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:

- 360 pads ONLY (no fight pads or sticks)
- default control configuration (can't even switch it)
- default characters (no unlockables)
- (I believe) first to three wins
- 13 or older (no exceptions)

Yeah. It's lame as fuck.

-PXG- said:

Yeah. It's lame as fuck.

Well now I'm not sure if I even care to participate...don't think i can go back to the pad after using the stick and not being able to remap the buttons would make it even more fucked up for me.

Captain N

donkey show said:
Woot! Played with Captain N a while ago on PSN. Good times man! :D You'll get that Fuerte down in no time. Just stop jumping in so much. =P

I had to go make the bed for my wife! I'm not trying to jump in! I am actually trying to pull off moves, but do them too fast. How do you block so quickly!?!?!? I never seem to be able to pull that off and can you block grabs in any way?

Arde5643

Captain N said:
I had to go make the bed for my wife! I'm not trying to jump in! I am actually trying to pull off moves, but do them too fast. How do you block so quickly!?!?!? I never seem to be able to pull that off and can you block grabs in any way?
You can escape grabs in this game by hitting both LP+LK when you're being grabbed (only for normal grabs though, not for command throws, air throws, or specials like Claw's or Fuerte's).

Captain N

Arde5643 said:
You can escape grabs in this game by hitting both LP+LK when you're being grabbed (only for normal grabs though, not for command throws, air throws, or specials like Claw's or Fuerte's).

thanks...also how do I perform ex moves?

Captain N said:

you're gonna have a tough time trying to escape throws by lp+lk. you're better off jabbing or jumping when you think the throw is coming. you need to learn that especially since that's the only way of getting away from command throws.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Captain N said:
thanks...also how do I perform ex moves?
From OP:

Although not new to the Street Fighter series, the EX Moves are new to most characters in this game. To perform an EX move, you simply execute a special move but instead of pressing just one kick or punch button, you press two. Most ex moves have special properties and/or multiple hits. Using an EX move will use up one stock of your Super Meter.

Wrath2X said:
Wait Im confused,is the NTSC version out yet or is that all imports??

I've only seen one photo of someone actually owning a NA copy and that was a signed copy from a launch party. I think the rest are from Europe, Japan or piracy land. At this point, I'm pretty sure the NA copy will not ship until later today or Tuesday as was originally stated.

y2dvd

GQman2121 said:
God bless the person who decided not to pick up their pre-order at Game Crazy in Wheaton, MD. Their 48 hour hold policy is apparently no joke.

DSCN0578.jpg

I had to drive an hour both ways from Baltimore, but it was worth it to not have to wait an extra month for GS to get their shipments in. Bring on the game!!!

Sue this guy for $4 billion!

Gamestop said they were selling the game on Tuesday noon instead of midnight. Why do I have to work? ='(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
-PXG- said:

Yeah. It's lame as fuck.
D: You might as well just not have a fierce punch.

Arde5643

Questions to you guys right now getting all hyped out for the game:

* How many of you are devoted to the 2D fighting scene (basically got into SF3, SF Alphas, Guilty Gear, and the rest of popular 2D fighters - yes, even Melee) and how serious are you in the competitive playing field?

If this describes you, what are you expecting of SF4?
While it has depth as seen from high level plays of JP and US arcade players, it doesn't seem to have the many links/combo options as most current 2D fighting games are (Guilty Gear comes to mind, as well as other Doujin-style fighting game)
The FA system also doesn't seem to be a requirement for a basic game unlike SF3's parry system - you mostly use FAs sparingly and don't depend on it.

* And on the opposite spectrum, how many of you are actually "new" or very casual to the 2D fighting scene? Basically, you guys like to watch 2D fighters but would not spend the time trying to get good at it.

If this describes you, how are you approaching SF4? As totally a spectator POV, or are you itching to get better at it too?
What makes you interested in this game if you've never been interested enough to learn the tricks and trades of 2D fighting games in general?

To start with, I'm a "new" and very casual player when it comes to the 2D fighting scene - the last 2D fighting game I played and tried to be good in was Brawl. But it didn't work out well at all since I somewhat dislike the whole Melee/Brawl fighting system.
Before that, it was Super Street Fighter 2 way back then.
So it's been a while since I've wanted to be a bit serious in 2D fighting games like this.
For me, my interest with SF4 started interestingly enough with the inclusion of El Fuerte into the cast.
After watching high-level play of Fuerte, I've started liking his style of play a lot since it's so different from the rest of the cast.
Other than that, watching how the rest of the high-level play game depends on effective zoning, footsies, and the like instead of instant reactions or limitless combos/strings makes me much more interested in the game.

In summary, as a total newbie to the 2D fighting scene, my interest in SF4 was thanks to El Fuerte and later on thanks to the game mechanics that doesn't rely on the parry system or heavy "limitless" strings/combos as most 2D fighting games.

NOTE: If this is considered derailing the current thread, I'll put this in a new thread. I'm just very interested on how many hyped up Gaffers in here are actual 2D fighting scene enthusiasts or just totally casual players like me. I really wanted to see as well if SF4 can bridge the gap between old school 2D fighting players and the modern 2D fighting players.

Spy

There's no chance Gamestop would get SFIV in tomorrow, huh? I have tomorrow off (holiday) but won't be able to take Tuesday off.

Arde5643 said:
* And on the opposite spectrum, how many of you are actually "new" or very casual to the 2D fighting scene? Basically, you guys like to watch 2D fighters but would not spend the time trying to get good at it.

If this describes you, how are you approaching SF4? As totally a spectator POV, or are you itching to get better at it too?
What makes you interested in this game if you've never been interested enough to learn the tricks and trades of 2D fighting games in general?

I'm relatively casual when it comes to fighters. I've very much tried to get into all the big names of this generation, those all being 3D fighters. With those games there were just too many moves to not only memorize for the one or two characters I wanted to play as, but to try to remember everything for everyone when I play against them... ugh, it was just too much.

I'm interested in SFIV mainly because it's new Street Fighter game going more in the direction of SFII. I played a lot of SFII as a kid on my SNES, not competitively by any means, mostly on my own in fact, but I loved the game none the less. So there's a lot of nostalgia with the original SFII characters that has me anticipating getting to play them all again. The fact it's on a 2D plane has a lot to do with it too. I've never been able to get into the 3D fighters and a lot of recent 2D fighters in the last few years have been built very technically for fighting game enthusiasts.

Secondly, like you mentioned, not having to worry about a parry system and such that just seems overwhelming from afar makes SFIV come off as having a much easier level of entry.

Overall I think it's the fact that I feel this game is the first in a long time that's going to help more people play on a decently competitive level, not tournament fighters or anything, but people who can hold their own.

Top Bottom