• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Arde5643 said:
Questions to you guys right now getting all hyped out for the game:

* How many of you are devoted to the 2D fighting scene (basically got into SF3, SF Alphas, Guilty Gear, and the rest of popular 2D fighters - yes, even Melee) and how serious are you in the competitive playing field?

If this describes you, what are you expecting of SF4?
While it has depth as seen from high level plays of JP and US arcade players, it doesn't seem to have the many links/combo options as most current 2D fighting games are (Guilty Gear comes to mind, as well as other Doujin-style fighting game)
The FA system also doesn't seem to be a requirement for a basic game unlike SF3's parry system - you mostly use FAs sparingly and don't depend on it.

I've already played it in the arcade a lot and it actually does have plenty of link/combo options. No, not as much as guilty gear but plenty compared to other SFs. Having ultras in addition to supers adds a lot to the depth because you use EX moves without worrying about being able to land a big damage combo.

FA adds plenty of depth and I actually use it more(in the form of FADCs) than I did parries. I just finished playing about 30 matches to Third Strike online and I only parried maybe 30-40 times, it's hardly a requirement.

Arde5643

FourSerioux said:
I'm relatively casual when it comes to fighters. I've very much tried to get into all the big names of this generation, those all being 3D fighters. With those games there were just too many moves to not only memorize for the one or two characters I wanted to play as, but to try to remember everything for everyone when I play against them... ugh, it was just too much.
This is actually an interesting point about 3D fighters - I was actually a bit serious on Tekken 3/Tekken Tag back in the day.

But as Tekken devolved more into jugglefest and combos, I've slowly moved away from it where right now I'm totally not even looking into Tekken 6 at all.

I feel this the same way with 2D fighting games in general - I started out a bit serious with SF2, but then got phased out and intimidated by the combo-heavy Alpha iterations.
And unfortunately, by the time I figured out not to be intimidated by those combos and try to learn them, it was already the seasons of Guilty Gear and SF3 - and damn, those games intimidate the fuck out of me. :lol

usea

Arde5643 said:
Well, my primary interests are rules, competition and games (video or traditional). So naturally fighters are very interesting to me. I've traveled to tournaments and such, but ultimately I don't have the time (or natural ability) to really dedicate to a game.

I'm extremely busy with school and work. Also I don't know anybody in my region who is into competitive fighters, and I don't sub xbl. So I don't really have any expectations of getting to a high level of play. I guess I plan on just playing around with it whenever I get some spare time, and maybe playing once or twice with casual players from school.

I don't know what to think about the changes in 4. I'll have to play it and find out. I usually prefer games with large playing areas and/or lots of freedom of movement (so smash bros or guilty gear, not virtua fighter). But I also don't like that fighters seem to pile on as much 'barrier to entry' as they can with complex inputs, links, etc. I far prefer strategic stuff over technical. So I guess I'll have to wait a couple days/months to see how it sits with me.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Arde5643 said:
I wonder what will happen to the Escapist's website if Zero Punctuation actually reviewed it really badly? :lol
It survived the Smash Bros review, so I think the website is fanboy proof. I would actually love to see Yahtzee give SFIV the same treatment he gives all the other games. I didn't like his Smash Bros review because he focused on his own personal hangups for the genre and didn't really address any of the real issues. Yahtzee is going to risk alienating a portion of his audience if he automatically writes multiplayer focused games and fighting games off without providing any new insight on how the genres can improve.

Alivor

@ Arde

I've always enjoyed Mortal Kombat, and the only Street Fighters I ever played was 2, and just got the HD remix today. SF4 is right around the corner, and a bunch of people I know are going to get it. I'm trying to get really into it and become decent. After playing for a couple of hours tonight on HDR, I already felt slightly improved. I hope that I play this for a nice, long time.

Arde5643

akachan ningen said:
I've already played it in the arcade a lot and it actually does have plenty of link/combo options. No, not as much as guilty gear but plenty compared to other SFs. Having ultras in addition to supers adds a lot to the depth because you use EX moves without worrying about being able to land a big damage combo.

FA adds plenty of depth and I actually use it more(in the form of FADCs) than I did parries. I just finished playing about 30 matches to Third Strike online and I only parried maybe 30-40 times, it's hardly a requirement.
Yeah, I've seen this - I'm not too worried about it though since on my scrub level, I doubt people will be using FADC in their combos. :D

Since you're a devotee to the 2D fighting scene, how do you see the zoning/footsies game played out in SF4?
From the videos I've seen, while some may say it encourages heavy turtling in some match-ups, I'm glad to see a lot of similarities between the footsies game played in SF2 with this one. Let me know if I'm actually way off the mark with this.

Arde5643 said:
I wonder what will happen to the Escapist's website if Zero Punctuation actually reviewed it really badly? :lol

Nothing, he already poopoo'd Smash Bros. and that's way more popular than Street Fighter.

In fact, this whole thread is a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. :lol

God this game is so good.

Tonight I faced a really good Ken.. lost the first round.. he was countering my Vega like a biatch...

Well I decided to play smart and slower..

My pokes were out of his reach and he kept whiffing on DP's.. it was really fun.

I also faced a stupid 1 round ranked hoser that tries to do quick matches and sets the time to 60 secs instead of 99.. He was playing Honda..

I kept back flipping then wall diving to the other side.

He had no counter and time expired with me winning.

I hate idiots like that.

So far tonight I've faced...

1 Honda
1 Sagat
8 Ryus
15 Kens
2 Akumas

RIDICULOUS - So sick of Shoto. I can tell a lot more english players are playing at least.

Few rants though I'd like to bring up..

Ranked games should lock out your character selection. I really hate when another player stalemates on his choice until I choose mine then quickly runs back to Ken/Ryu.. Should be hidden like HD Remix.

Also the connections or the online system is kinda akward. Quick Match searches instantly for 3 matches.. about 75% are dead matches you cant connect to and they stay on the list for HOURS upon HOURS and keep popping back in yet they are dead rooms. Also the custom search match takes like 20-30 secs to pull up a list and then if you select something and its full.. it knocks you back out and you have to research for another 20-30 mins. Just a note about online.

I did hit 1000+ Battle Points tonight which is a huge achievement for me. I'm happy! :D

EDIT: Oh and I started integrating the Forward Wall dive EX move into my Vegas arsenal.. its good but so hard to pull off because you have to literally hold your character in a non block position and pray no one hits you while you charge down :(

Arde5643

TurtleSnatcher said:

1 Honda
1 Sagat
8 Ryus
15 Kens
2 Akumas

RIDICULOUS - So sick of Shoto. I can tell a lot more english players are playing at least.
No worries, bub - once I get the game, I'll be playing El Fuerte all the way even if it resets my BP to 0 points. :lol

From what I've seen of Ken in high level play videos, he's actually a different character altogether from a regular Shotos. But yeah, all of the Kens I see in your stream definitely use Kens exactly the same way they use Ryu. :lol

TurtleSnatcher said:

Gotta love them shotoscrubs! :lol :lol :lol

Ranked games should lock out your character selection. I really hate when another player stalemates on his choice until I choose mine then quickly runs back to Ken/Ryu.. Should be hidden like HD Remix.

That's a classic arcade bitch move. I'm kind of surprised double blind select is not in effect here, but I'm sure the Japanese developers think that's dishonorable or some bullshit. Capcom needs to consult with Sirlin instead of making dumbass decisions.

GhaleonQ

Since some of you were wondering about the casual crowd's reaction to this game, I urge you to check out The Onion's A.V. Club review. http://www.avclub.com/articles/street-fighter-iv,23796 He's lukewarm about it, discussed it shallowly, and doesn't really think of it like an event. That makes me nervous regarding further acceptance.

(I'm skeptical of Street Fighter IV myself, but that's neither here nor there.)

Arde5643 said:
Yeah, I've seen this - I'm not too worried about it though since on my scrub level, I doubt people will be using FADC in their combos. :D

Since you're a devotee to the 2D fighting scene, how do you see the zoning/footsies game played out in SF4?
From the videos I've seen, while some may say it encourages heavy turtling in some match-ups, I'm glad to see a lot of similarities between the footsies game played in SF2 with this one. Let me know if I'm actually way off the mark with this.

It kind of a combination of SF2 and 3s. You can just play simple footsies or you can use a quick FA to counter footsies, sort of like you would use a parry, except with a parry, it's pretty much a free hit. In SF4 your opponent often has time to block the FA but it's good for taking the heat off you. I don't know though, it still remains how useful FA really will be at the highest levels of play but it is pretty clever how advanced players and newbs can both use it in different ways.

1 Honda
1 Sagat
8 Ryus
15 Kens
2 Akumas

That's terrible. I'm going to be playing mostly with the new characters at first. I figured more people would be curious about them but they seem to be going with what they already know!

gutter_trash said:
no, Capocm should not consult with Sirlin.
I hated his his character tweaks in HDR

Well not on everything; and christ knows Capcom's assfucked this franchise harder than Sirlin at this point.

Oh yeah I went there.

Fucking 3D Street Fighter bullshit!

Zapages

Arde5643 said:

I've was terrible with SF II back in the day on the higher difficulties last one being SSFII on the SNES... Then I brought ST on the PC, which I was bad on higher difficulties again.

In 2001, I got into the Alpha Series through PSX and was working to make my own stages on the first version MUGEN... I ended up making a few backgrounds and stuff and retired around 2002 from the whole scene there...

Anyway, the best way to describe would be a really excellent scrub player or poor pro/advanced player in technicality wise if you can compare my skill set in SF III TS... I only got in SF III TS around 2003, so it was well after its time of release... This was after I played a bit of it at a local Pizzeria place that had SF 3 Next Generation there...

The only game when I am in swing of things is Capcom vs SNK 2, which I am average on the pro scale comparatively to any other fighting game. This is because of I used to play it at my local arcade a lot and at home on my dreamcast, yaya for Imports...

Guility Gear XX Reloaded was the only game that I imported, I could not get into the combo system either... So I gave up on them...

Also I suck at Marvel vs Capcom 2...

As for 3D fighters, Virtua Fighter was the only series that I was interested in as a kid... But I never really played it after 2... I got into Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast and in the arcades, but we all know that series went with the recent versions.... SF EX series was ok, I played it through Bleem on PC when I brought the PSX versions of the game... I even bought the EX3 version for the PS2, but I never played it because its PAL instead of NTSC. :(

I was never into Tekken though.

As for being excited for SF IV, its a whole new game to learn and hopefully I can be good in it like I am semi in SF III TS...

Arde5643

GhaleonQ said:
Since some of you were wondering about the casual crowd's reaction to this game, I urge you to check out The Onion's A.V. Club review. http://www.avclub.com/articles/street-fighter-iv,23796 He's lukewarm about it, discussed it shallowly, and doesn't really think of it like an event. That makes me nervous regarding further acceptance.

The lack of any mention of online multiplayer makes the review pretty pointless though.

The casuals interested in SF4 I think will be people like myself, who were intimidated by the modern 2D fighting games, but sees SF4 as that bridge between old school SF2 and modern fighting games.
Basically, people who liked the arcade scenes back in the day of SF2 but got phased out as 2D gaming got more combo heavy and more complex.

Zapages said:
As for being excited for SF IV, its a whole new game to learn and hopefully I can be good in it like I am semi in SF III TS...
If you're at least semi in SF3, you can probably at the very least beat 99% of the shoto-scrubs infesting the online play once the game gets released on street date. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Arde5643 said:

He's repeatedly said that he doesn't get fighting games, and isn't really a good judge if they're good or not.

akachan ningen said:
It kind of a combination of SF2 and 3s. You can just play simple footsies or you can use a quick FA to counter footsies, sort of like you would use a parry, except with a parry, it's pretty much a free hit. In SF4 your opponent often has time to block the FA but it's good for taking the heat off you. I don't know though, it still remains how useful FA really will be at the highest levels of play but it is pretty clever how advanced players and newbs can both use it in different ways.

That's terrible. I'm going to be playing mostly with the new characters at first. I figured more people would be curious about them but they seem to be going with what they already know!
The worst part about them choosing Ryu/Ken is that it wasn't even Ranked Matches on half of them.

As for disconnectors.. I have had 0 on ranked games.. and TONS on player matches (non ranked) which makes me laugh sometimes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Arde5643 said:

* How many of you are devoted to the 2D fighting scene (basically got into SF3, SF Alphas, Guilty Gear, and the rest of popular 2D fighters - yes, even Melee) and how serious are you in the competitive playing field?

If this describes you, what are you expecting of SF4?
I have played nearly every fighting game ever made, but I was only semi-decent at a handful of them. I really miss the local competitive arcade scene and I'm hoping SFIV can help bring that community together again, either online or at LAN parties.

* And on the opposite spectrum, how many of you are actually "new" or very casual to the 2D fighting scene? Basically, you guys like to watch 2D fighters but would not spend the time trying to get good at it.

If this describes you, how are you approaching SF4? As totally a spectator POV, or are you itching to get better at it too?
What makes you interested in this game if you've never been interested enough to learn the tricks and trades of 2D fighting games in general?
I was never very good at SF so I feel like this is a good chance to really get into the series, since even the vets will be adjusting to the SFIV fighting engine when it launches. I also expect plenty of newcomers since some people might have bypassed the game due to the 2D graphics. Killer Instinct was more popular than SF at my local arcade so SF still feels fresh to me. That is another reason why the launch feels so exciting. I quickly moved on to 3D fighters so I missed the chance to learn the nuances of the SF engine. I feel like going back to the 2D basics could make me better in 3D fighters as well.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm kind of surprised double blind select is not in effect here, but I'm sure the Japanese developers think that's dishonorable or some bullshit.

Um, no. Japanese tournaments require you to choose your character before the tournament, and you cannot change characters once the tournament starts. This is why there are no options for double blind picks, because they've made rules that make sense. Only western tournaments allow for counter-picking.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Oh and I started integrating the Forward Wall dive EX move into my Vegas arsenal.. its good but so hard to pull off because you have to literally hold your character in a non block position and pray no one hits you while you charge down :(

Don't do it in non-guaranteed situations. Do it only when you know d/f+RH is going to connect, because if it does you have all the time in the world to use that move.

So I checked my stats.. and I'm only at a 55% win rate against both Ryu and Ken.. unfortunately it also counts my losses as I was experimenting with chars I've never really played before.. :(

I think my real win/loss is about 75-80% at least.

Oichi said:
Um, no. Japanese tournaments require you to choose your character before the tournament, and you cannot change characters once the tournament starts. This is why there are no options for double blind picks, because they've made rules that make sense. Only western tournaments allow for counter-picking.

Don't do it in non-guaranteed situations. Do it only when you know d/f+RH is going to connect, because if it does you have all the time in the world to use that move.
Interesting..

I also tend to do it when I knock them down or maybe wiff on a wall dive and I crouch down and hit him with a Med P claw hit then move the stick up forward and EX wall dive.. Sometimes it hits.

I sometimes start matches with it too.

EDIT: Christ I fail.. I wanted to just copy paste your quote into my previous post but during the 3 second loading my short term memory got to me and I forgot.. Sorry about that.

Arde5643

From reading the Viper threads at the SRK forum, it seems she's really put into the game for the players who want the most technical challenges and the rewards that come with being able to do those technical stuffs.

Seriously, most of the instructions on using feints with her strings and combos just went "woooosh!" over my brain. :lol

Jaruru

donkey show said:
I just tested out using the custom soundtracks on the PS3 version. It's very surreal being able to do that in game. :lol

we do have custom soundtracks for PS3 version??? :O :O :O

Jaruru

donkey show said:
Correct sir. I'm listening to The Lonely Island on my Triple while I'm in training mode. :D

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'll arrange my playlist tmr, get ready for the game ;) ;) ;)
THX for this news to me!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GhaleonQ said:

That is more of an issue with the review than the game. I don't know if SFIV will be able to replicate the mainstream success of SF2 but it's not going to flop either. I expect it to have long legs as well. Capcom has already committed to making free DLC.

dfyb

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
So I checked my stats.. and I'm only at a 55% win rate against both Ryu and Ken.. unfortunately it also counts my losses as I was experimenting with chars I've never really played before.. :(

I think my real win/loss is about 75-80% at least.
does it count unranked matches or were you experimenting in ranked matches?

Ravager61 said:
Im sure this question has already been answered somewhere, but how hard to find are the SE Fightsticks right now? I went to 2 Gamestops today to try and pick one up but they didn't have any and didn't know when they were going to get any more in. I know the TE is probably not going to be available again until March. Is it the same with the SE or will I probably be able to find one next week when I get the game?

Try Fry's Electronics. They had a few SE Fightsticks for PS3 and 360.

I've been using it for the past three days, it's good. However, keep your receipt since there are some oddballs out of the factory line. But if you get a good one, you're set. Mine doesn't have any problems, it's heavy, sturdy, stick is good, buttons are good -- and it works well. The square gate gets getting used to -- but the TE and most of any good stick out there has a square gate anyway.

It makes it a pain in the ass to pull off supers that involve double QCF motions.

EDIT: So -- what's the availability scenario on the game. Best buy, wal-mart etc.

what about gamestop -- are they getting it in wed or tuesday afternoon/evening?

C- Warrior said:
Try Fry's Electronics. They had a few SE Fightsticks for PS3 and 360.

I've been using it for the past three days, it's good. However, keep your receipt since there are some oddballs out of the factory line. But if you get a good one, you're set. Mine doesn't have any problems, it's heavy, sturdy, stick is good, buttons are good -- and it works well. The square gate gets getting used to -- but the TE and most of any good stick out there has a square gate anyway.

It makes it a pain in the ass to pull off supers that involve double QCF motions.

EDIT: So -- what's the availability scenario on the game. Best buy, wal-mart etc.

what about gamestop -- are they getting it in wed or tuesday afternoon/evening?
Some gamestops are getting it on sameday shipping which is Tuesday.. The rest weds.

Nemesis_

UC1 said:
I heard a Perth JB has it, I'm going hunting around Sydney tomorrow...
The game's official Australia launch has been pushed forward, since some JBs have been selling early anyway. Most major gaming retailers will have their allocations for you to pick up tomorrow

xabre

Banned
Is there a spectator mode in the game ala SF2HD Remix? A bit disappointing if not since it's important to watch 'good players' so shit players like me can figure out how not to get our arses kicked.

MikeE21286 said:
hmm....I think we might have our sticks crossed up?

I have this
1417-550x-hori%20fighting%20stick%20ex2.jpg

I want to get this one
sfiv-ps3-arcade-stick.jpg

I'm not talking about the $150 one. I'm DEFINITELY not a big stick guy.....but it's pretty hard to hit the ultras on the stick I own because of the RB and LB buttons being up top

Yeah, I knew the ones you meant. Just hit all three buttons at once, easy.

dfyb

Banned
xabre said:
Is there a spectator mode in the game ala SF2HD Remix? A bit disappointing if not since it's important to watch 'good players' so shit players like me can figure out how not to get our arses kicked.
no, but there's better -- there's replays.

zoukka

Custom soundtrack on PS3 W H A T T H E F U C K !

Instabuy though I'm only able to play it like a few hours per week :lol

Any superduper offers in Euroland?

xabre

Banned
dfyb said:
no, but there's better -- there's replays.

That's good, how do I access these replays? Download in game? Are they auto, like choose a player from a ranking list and view any of their matches? Or do you have to specify that you want a game recorded?

CPS2

Nemesis556 said:
The game's official Australia launch has been pushed forward, since some JBs have been selling early anyway. Most major gaming retailers will have their allocations for you to pick up tomorrow

I hope so! I think Perth was kinda shafted on getting any arcade cabinets so it's only fair they get the game early, but I better find a copy tomorrow!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
Some gamestops are getting it on sameday shipping which is Tuesday.. The rest weds.
I'm starting to think you're not as all-knowing when it comes to dates as you imply.

So anyway: first time stick user diary update:

It's day 3 -- and I've improved drastically with the SE fightstick. I'm still better with a controller with the shoto characters, but my game has drastically improved with the 'charge and hold characters.' In fact, I'm tearing shit up with Guile like nobodies business.

However, as much as I like the SE fightstick -- I'm having a real hard time pulling off quick supers that require double QCF forward motions...Is this because:

A) Square Gate sucks for QCF motions
B) ...3 days isn't enough to delete 15 years of controller use, so keep practicing with the stick
C) The SE fightstick doesn't have sawna, sawna is god -- since it doesn't have it, no supers for you
D) All of the above.

PS: I hope SFIV makes the inputs a little bit more user friendly than SF2.

SapientWolf said:
I was never very good at SF so I feel like this is a good chance to really get into the series, since even the vets will be adjusting to the SFIV fighting engine when it launches.
lol the hardcore vets have been playing it on the arcade machines for MONTHS.

CPS2

C- Warrior said:
Is this because:

A) Square Gate sucks for QCF motions

NO! :lol

It's piss easy, I don't know if you've got any games that show inputs on the screen, but if you do, boot one up and see which direction you're missing. You might be getting stuck in the corner on the 2nd QCF or something, but if you hit training mode and do it 5-10 times in a row, you'll have it down.

Top Bottom