• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Halvie

Banned
UC1 said:
NO! :lol

It's piss easy, I don't know if you've got any games that show inputs on the screen, but if you do, boot one up and see which direction you're missing. You might be getting stuck in the corner on the 2nd QCF or something, but if you hit training mode and do it 5-10 times in a row, you'll have it down.

for double qcf try doing qcf, hcf. That usually always works for me.

spoon!

C- Warrior said:
However, as much as I like the SE fightstick -- I'm having a real hard time pulling off quick supers that require double QCF forward motions...Is this because:

A) Square Gate sucks for QCF motions
B) ...3 days isn't enough to delete 15 years of controller use, so keep practicing with the stick
C) The SE fightstick doesn't have sawna, sawna is god -- since it doesn't have it, no supers for you
D) All of the above.
The answer is B. Just keep at it. The mistake most people make is they try to do the motion too fast. Jump into practise mode and do two, slow qcf's. You'll find the timing for the super is much more relaxed than you expect. After that it's a matter of getting better at the motion and timing till you can reversal with the super :)

Halvie said:
for double qcf try doing qcf, hcf. That usually always works for me.

Huh?

I'm talking about -- let's say Ken's super. D, DF, F --> D, DF, F (punch)

Oh wait, are you saying:

D, DF, F ---> (slip it across the gate all the way horizontally to the left) and then do the half circle foward? FACING RIGHT obviously)

You know, just visualizing this concept in my head seems that it should alleviate my problems. Having to scrape back in forth with the D,DF,F seems unnatural in flow. I think doing it your way would be better. Take for instance I can do T.Hawk's super 95% of the time.

EDIT: Spoon, you're right. I've noticed that there is quite a bit of input time for double QCF. But that isn't the problem. Everything goes to shit when I try to do it quickly in actual battle.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
polyh3dron said:
lol the hardcore vets have been playing it on the arcade machines for MONTHS.

And? That's going to be a tiny minority of players online and if matchmaking is worth a damn then it will be easy to find players of your level to face off against. Chances are after a few weeks you'll rarely have a bad matchup unless you go looking for it.

UC1 said:
NO! :lol

It's piss easy, I don't know if you've got any games that show inputs on the screen, but if you do, boot one up and see which direction you're missing. You might be getting stuck in the corner on the 2nd QCF or something, but if you hit training mode and do it 5-10 times in a row, you'll have it down.

It's easier for me on octagonal too. It's just personal preference or fucked-upness every person has(like how some people find it easier to do moves from the right side).

McBradders

akachan ningen said:
It's easier for me on octagonal too. It's just personal preference or fucked-upness every person has(like how some people find it easier to do moves from the right side).

The TE stick has quick mounts for the gates, right? I think that's the first thing I want to change.

Barrett2

So the AV Club gave the game a B-?

Sometimes their reviews are a little too clever by half. This is one of those instances. I can't stand when reviewers throw out the general argument that fighting games "haven't evolved," without qualifying the complaint with any articulation of what that means.

Arde5643

So thanks to everyone who's replied to my long ass post from earlier and I had fun reading some of your posts.

Here is the post again so that I can get some more input on the overall level of Gaffers hyped for the game and knowing if SF4 can be the bridge game between 2D fighting casuals (or even newbies) and experts/devotees.

Again, thanks to those who've replied previously.

Arde5643 said:
Questions to you guys right now getting all hyped out for the game:

* How many of you are devoted to the 2D fighting scene (basically got into SF3, SF Alphas, Guilty Gear, and the rest of popular 2D fighters - yes, even Melee) and how serious are you in the competitive playing field?

If this describes you, what are you expecting of SF4?
While it has depth as seen from high level plays of JP and US arcade players, it doesn't seem to have the many links/combo options as most current 2D fighting games are (Guilty Gear comes to mind, as well as other Doujin-style fighting game)
The FA system also doesn't seem to be a requirement for a basic game unlike SF3's parry system - you mostly use FAs sparingly and don't depend on it.

* And on the opposite spectrum, how many of you are actually "new" or very casual to the 2D fighting scene? Basically, you guys like to watch 2D fighters but would not spend the time trying to get good at it.

If this describes you, how are you approaching SF4? As totally a spectator POV, or are you itching to get better at it too?
What makes you interested in this game if you've never been interested enough to learn the tricks and trades of 2D fighting games in general?

To start with, I'm a "new" and very casual player when it comes to the 2D fighting scene - the last 2D fighting game I played and tried to be good in was Brawl. But it didn't work out well at all since I somewhat dislike the whole Melee/Brawl fighting system.
Before that, it was Super Street Fighter 2 way back then.
So it's been a while since I've wanted to be a bit serious in 2D fighting games like this.
For me, my interest with SF4 started interestingly enough with the inclusion of El Fuerte into the cast.
After watching high-level play of Fuerte, I've started liking his style of play a lot since it's so different from the rest of the cast.
Other than that, watching how the rest of the high-level play game depends on effective zoning, footsies, and the like instead of instant reactions or limitless combos/strings makes me much more interested in the game.

In summary, as a total newbie to the 2D fighting scene, my interest in SF4 was thanks to El Fuerte and later on thanks to the game mechanics that doesn't rely on the parry system or heavy "limitless" strings/combos as most 2D fighting games.

What's the verdict on the usefulness of Gouken's AA fireball?

My biggest reservation about using Urien's AA fireballs in 3S was getting air parried and punished to hell afterward. That doesn't seem like it would be a problem in SF4.

Halvie

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Huh?

I'm talking about -- let's say Ken's super. D, DF, F --> D, DF, F (punch)

Oh wait, are you saying:

D, DF, F ---> (slip it across the gate all the way horizontally to the left) and then do the half circle foward? FACING RIGHT obviously)

You know, just visualizing this concept in my head seems that it should alleviate my problems. Having to scrape back in forth with the D,DF,F seems unnatural in flow. I think doing it your way would be better. Take for instance I can do T.Hawk's super 95% of the time.

EDIT: Spoon, you're right. I've noticed that there is quite a bit of input time for double QCF. But that isn't the problem. Everything goes to shit when I try to do it quickly in actual battle.

qcf , hcf (movement for a fire hadouken ...back, down back, down, down forward, forward), p

to me it is just way easier in tight situations to do a half circle instead of quarter on the second movement. Go into training and mess with it a bit. Guarantee it will work better.

Aaron

akachan ningen said:
I have a dreamcast arcade stick with an octagonal gate, and it seems baffling to me that they would make it any other way. I'm going for the pad for SF4 though because I just don't have the space for even more videogame accessories.

Halvie said:
qcf , hcf (movement for a fire hadouken ...back, down back, down, down forward, forward), p

to me it is just way easier in tight situations to do a half circle instead of quarter on the second movement. Go into training and mess with it a bit. Guarantee it will work better.
I do this also, though the second is more like one third circle instead of a true half.

dfyb

Banned
C- Warrior said:
So anyway: first time stick user diary update:

It's day 3 -- and I've improved drastically with the SE fightstick. I'm still better with a controller with the shoto characters, but my game has drastically improved with the 'charge and hold characters.' In fact, I'm tearing shit up with Guile like nobodies business.

However, as much as I like the SE fightstick -- I'm having a real hard time pulling off quick supers that require double QCF forward motions...Is this because:

A) Square Gate sucks for QCF motions
B) ...3 days isn't enough to delete 15 years of controller use, so keep practicing with the stick
C) The SE fightstick doesn't have sawna, sawna is god -- since it doesn't have it, no supers for you
D) All of the above.

PS: I hope SFIV makes the inputs a little bit more user friendly than SF2.

stick with square gate and you'll grow to realize it's inherent advantages. also, get a sanwa stick -- i haven't used the SE stick, but i saw improvement going from my old Tekken stick to my custom built (well, i use a seimitsu stick... but yeah).

Aaron said:
I do this also, though the second is more like one third circle instead of a true half.

I feel the reason why I think this will help is probably because I'm doing:

D, DF, F ---> DF, F (punch)

I'm not recycling all the way back down to down. Which makes sense considering I'll end up doing a dragon punch instead of the super.

GhaleonQ

lawblob said:
I can't stand when reviewers throw out the general argument that fighting games "haven't evolved," without qualifying the complaint with any articulation of what that means.

I basically will not listen to any video game podcasts this week based on the number of times I have heard this in the past regarding any fighting games series.

...Okay. More accurately, I will complain in every podcast topic, instead.

zoukka

Well non-fighter specialized writers end up typing pretty useless text anyway, so no point in getting angry at low scores or anything. Fighting games are shmups in that sense.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Street date has been broken in Australia. Hell fucking yes.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If everything goes by the 'keikaku' (It means 'plan' in japanese) next week i will get SF IV!
Yeeeeaaaaaahhh! So so so so hyped for this game. (And just wait until KOF XII release date gets closer, im gonna be a freaking school girl!!)

EDIT:Oh snap, i break my promise of 'dont talk SNK related stuff on the SF IV thread'.

McBradders

Fersis said:
If everything goes by the 'keikaku' (It means 'plan' in japanese) next week i will get SF IV!
Yeeeeaaaaaahhh! So so so so hyped for this game. (And just wait until KOF XII release date gets closer, im gonna be a freaking school girl!!)

EDIT:Oh snap, i break my promise of 'dont talk SNK related stuff on the SF IV thread'.

120577182_b2c1266b4d.jpg

Don't make them release the Marmot.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:

Next week? Why so late? I paid extra for the courier to get it by the end of this week. PAL version. If they fuck it up I will... bitch and whine thrugh the whole weekend.

Also what's with this dress up thing near KOF XII release?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
McBradders said:
120577182_b2c1266b4d.jpg

Don't make them release the Marmot.
Awesome movie

GrayFoxPL said:
Next week? Why so late? I paid extra for the courier to get it by the end of this week. PAL version. If they fuck it up I will... bitch and whine thrugh the whole weekend.

Also what's with this dress up thing near KOF XII release?
I live on Argentina and I DONT have a credit card ;_;
Hehehe, im gonna be as excited as a schoolgirl, its my GOTY !!! Im thinking on doing the official thread. :)

EDIT: Im gonna buy the PS3 version, the 360 pirate copy is already in the market here @_@. (Crazy stuff)
Importing the PS3 version cost me like 100 bucks... if i had a 360 the pirate copy cost me 10 bucks or less.

Tr4nce

donkey show said:
Correct sir. I'm listening to The Lonely Island on my Triple while I'm in training mode. :D

Holy shit! That is awesome! Listening to some stomping House and Old Skool Trance beats while fighting. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ratba said:
I really didn't think I would like this game but after seeing theTrin get it a few days ago I went ahead and dove in.

The 'match making' is a little borked. Everytime I search for players (Japan 360 here) I keep getting the same 3 people and they just switch up the order until my 4th refresh. Then I might get 1 or 2 new people. Rinse and repeat.

Lots of people don't know to cut off the challenge mode in Arcade (me included) and most games you try to join end with you searching again. Also on the PS3 the latency pops up super fast when you want to join a game. Its not loading so quick on my 360 when I search for players.

But the game is damn smooth. Only had one game where it was unplayable due to lag / button input out of my first.. 50 matches last night

I'm really enjoying it. Its a blast on line. I just wish they'd set up a quarter / lobby system. I personally don't like playing and whooping / being whooped by the same guy for 20 minutes.

I was doing the same thing, but I realized what I was doing wrong. When you search for a quick match it only returns 3 entries (why I don't know it's retarded). When you do a custom match it returns about 15 I think. I don't know why quick match doesn't bring you straight to an open player though.....

Good news about the PS3 version though. Searching on the 360 version is really hit or miss.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:
Awesome movie

I live on Argentina and I DONT have a credit card ;_;
Hehehe, im gonna be as excited as a schoolgirl, its my GOTY !!! Im thinking on doing the official thread. :)

EDIT: Im gonna buy the PS3 version, the 360 pirate copy is already in the market here @_@. (Crazy stuff)
Importing the PS3 version cost me like 100 bucks... if i had a 360 the pirate copy cost me 10 bucks or less.

Argentina, that's sooo far from here(Poland). But I had good matches (HD Remix) with gaffer from Puerto Rico and SF4 is suppose to have even better netcode. Looking forward to fighting you! :D

100 I know the pain, here we had similar game prices for over a decade, now it's far more normalised. SF4 is actually one of the cheapest new games available. Capcom love.

Don't give in to the pirates. Fight the good fight. :D

Darkman M

Good games to drhone he gave me a nice taggin with guile, but i getting more and more use to using a stick now which is a good thing.and Saqs why did you run offline when i asked to spar?:lol

j/k but i want to get some training in!

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:
Argentina, that's sooo far from here(Poland). But I had good matches (HD Remix) with gaffer from Puerto Rico and SF4 is suppose to have even better netcode. Looking forward to fighting you! :D

100 I know the pain, here we had similar game prices for over a decade, now it's far more normalised. SF4 is actually one of the cheapest new games available. Capcom love.

Don't give in to the pirates. Fight the good fight. :D
Yeah, besides im a Playstation guy. (And please dont start with : fersis is a Sony shill)
So you have the PS3 version ? Nice, add me.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:
Yeah, besides im a Playstation guy. (And please dont start with : fersis is a Sony shill)

Don't worry I'm a PS guy at a core myself.

Ordered PS3 version, yep. Will add (I think I already did some time ago, or tried.).

Barrett2

Fersis said:

Im' also getting PS3 version, feel free to add me. Its pretty much a guaranteed victory for you the first few weeks til I get in some practice. :lol

PSN - lawblob

StuBurns

Banned
I'm getting the PS3 Friday, maybe the 360 in the summer when I can get on Live.

Feel free to add me: c0032

I'm not buying a stick so you'll all crush me though.

atomico

yurinka said:
Well, the PS3 version also features Home stuff unlockable from the game and custom XMB tracklist, too.

lemme see if I got that right: you can access the xmb music player in-game, like in pixeljunk:monsters?

When making the switch from stick to pad, I found using an American style stick much, much easier. As a matter of fact I slid right into using an american stick with no adjustment period. Possibly because that's what I used in arcades throughout the 90s. I could never get into japanese sticks, and I've owned plenty.

stuburns said:
You're right, but not having one always limits how good you are.

I don't think so. I have seen some beastly pad players at cvs2 and 3S tournaments(even mvc2 with the DC pad!). It just takes a certain type of person to contort their fingers in such a way.

lemme see if I got that right: you can access the xmb music player in-game, like in pixeljunk:monsters?

yeah, there's a video on youtube if you don't believe it. :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
akachan ningen said:
Apparently, you unlock this outfit just by unlocking all of her costume colors. That's what I overheard.

uts7q.jpg

Oooooooooh!

Now I'm really going to go for all the challenges right now - I wanted to play a little online, but i think I'll go for these instead - I'm tired of the same two colors to choose from!

PhatSaqs said:
lmao. That was u? :lol :lol :lol

Yup - to be fair, I've only been playing Arcade Mode and very little online against ranked players/friends so I still have to get used people's various tactics all over again... :)

viewtiful_dru said:

Man, that's beautiful.

StuBurns

Banned
akachan ningen said:
I don't think so. I have seen some beastly pad players at cvs2 and 3S tournaments(even mvc2 with the DC pad!). It just takes a certain type of person to contort their fingers in such a way.
Beastly, but not the best.

I'm not saying gamepads are crap, or that arcade sticks are amazing. I'm saying there is an advantage to a stick, or even a pad with a decent dpad. Although I've been playing various iterations of SF on gamepads for a long time, so I'm okay with one. If someone has a stick and if they do they probably take it a lot more seriously than I do, they're going to stomp all over me.

Norante said:
Will Gamestop have the pre-orders for pickup tomorrow, or Wednesday?

I asked an EB here in Toronto and he said they might actually get a shipment in on Tuesday but he is telling most people Wednesday to be safe. They are not going to really know until the morning of though.

Top Bottom