• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
haunts said:
Yeah just play what you are comfortable on but man do I hate how quiet pads are. I like the sound of ppl goin buckwild on joysticks.

Im a bit late to responding to this, but I was actually like right behind that guy for a long time. He is really nice believe it or not, just wiles out when he plays. :lol
He also enjoys talking shit on the interwebs. He was jawing in the youtube comments page. I guess it's one thing if he can back it up but I've never heard his name mentioned in the same sentence as Wong or Daigo.

Still, all that bravado is part the scene I guess. Testostedrama and all that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ashism said:
Was he like provoked or is he always trying to find the fastest way to get stabbed by strangers?

edit: Is this what the so cal scene is like?

I'm trying to think how hilarious it would be if I were to do the same from where I'm from.

"GORDO BABY! WHAT'S UP!?! GORDO BABY! HOME OF THE RAPTOR! F-22! THAT'S HOW WE DO! SO-NEWMEX SON! WHITE SANDS SON! FILMING TRANSFORMERS AND TERMINATOR YO! EXTRA IN MOVIES BABY! SUP NOW! GORDO! YOU AIN'T SHIT! YOU GOT SAND IN YOUR EYE! HIGHEST TEEN PREGNANCY RATE IN THE COUNTRY SON! WHAT?! AIN'T NOTHIN! PRINGLES?! TRY SUN SHIPS BABY! WHOLE GRAIN! GORDO!" *country line dances*

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Raging Spaniard said:
aight, best I could do :)

e_tentacle.jpg

Hotness man, thanks!

EDIT: Is there some delay on GAF for avatar changes to take effect? My profile reflects the new location but it's still showing the old one.

ashism

Kintaro said:
I'm trying to think how hilarious it would be if I were to do the same from where I'm from.

"GORDO BABY! WHAT'S UP!?! GORDO BABY! HOME OF THE RAPTOR! F-22! THAT'S HOW WE DO! SO-NEWMEX SON! WHITE SANDS SON! FILMING TRANSFORMERS AND TERMINATOR YO! EXTRA IN MOVIES BABY! SUP NOW! GORDO! YOU AIN'T SHIT! YOU GOT SAND IN YOUR EYE! HIGHEST TEEN PREGNANCY RATE IN THE COUNTRY SON! WHAT?! AIN'T NOTHIN! PRINGLES?! TRY SUN SHIPS BABY! WHOLE GRAIN! GORDO!" *country line dances*
I can dig the socal norcal rivalry, thats something that extends beyond fighting games, but calling the other guy a "faggot, bitch ass, etc" is just really rude, unless of course the kid had it well deserved.

edit: hahaha, if only your "newmex" pride was that real

Teknoman

Kintaro said:

:lol

I cant lie, sometimes I get like this with my friends and we just see who can make the craziest stuff up while trying to sound all hyped up and serious about it. Especially when competing. "Daaaaamn, Bitch go make me some biscuits!" comes to mind :lol

But we dont take it so far as to a real fight could break out.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
you knoow, that guy wasnt even from norcal AFAIK. :lol

not sure how all that started, i was just like oooh shit.. that was before a lot of the norcal heads showed up too so i didnt know what to think.. we took 3s singles anyway so who cares.

Got scrapped in almost everything else tho. lol.

he is a super nice guy tho, you just had to be there i guess.

SapientWolf said:
He also enjoys talking shit on the interwebs. He was jawing in the youtube comments page. I guess it's one thing if he can back it up but I've never heard his name mentioned in the same sentence as Wong or Daigo.

Still, all that bravado is part the scene I guess. Testostedrama and all that.

bad mentality to have. those guys are top sure but there is a ton of sick players you've never heard of and never will.

Teknoman

Its late at night...and im probably stepping into a minefield by asking this...but what happened to the stickyness? Also seeing alot of people got banned. Did I miss something, or am I better off not knowing?

Ferrio

Banned
Teknoman said:
Its late at night...and im probably stepping into a minefield by asking this...but what happened to the stickyness? Also seeing alot of people got banned. Did I miss something, or am I better off not knowing?

Stickies are worthless for threads that are popular. All they manage to do is put the thread in a blind spot.

Stickies are only useful for threads that are important but would not be bumped.

As for your answer, Evilore did it on page 4 or something.

Teknoman

Ferrio said:
Stickies are worthless for threads that are popular. All they manage to do is put the thread in a blind spot.

Stickies are only useful for threads that are important but would not be bumped.

As for your answer, Evilore did it on page 4 or something.

Ah well that makes sense for the de sticky.

haunts said:
yeah I wonder why MTHanded got banned..

Thats actually what I was wondering as well as a few others. Unless it was like...some sort of requested ban until release day?

traveler

Not Wario
The recent wave of bannings are from the "My ex is a whore thread" over in OT. Looks like a lot of people requested the pics, either jokingly or not, which is a no-no around these parts, even if the OP was basically asking for it. :lol

Teknoman

traveler said:
The recent wave of bannings are from the "My ex is a whore thread" over in OT. Looks like a lot of people requested the pics, either jokingly or not, which is a no-no around these parts, even if the OP was basically asking for it. :lol

Ohhhh.

C- Warrior said:
Another question:

I didn't grow up on the arcades -- (born in 85') don't know if that puts me in the arcade era or what.

I'm accustomed to a controller for fighting games, and in some instances when I do go to an arcade to play some Tekken; I actually say to myself "man I wish I had a controller."

However, I can't deny the ease sticks give you when pulling combos and two and ones.

Should I learn with a stick (in the rationale that it's truly superior to a controller) or is it one of those things where "you're better with what you're more comfortable with."
I was born in 82 and played the shit out of all the SF and MK games in the arcades as a young'n, and so did my bro who's the same age as you.

polyh3dron said:
I was born in 82 and played the shit out of all the SF and MK games in the arcades as a young'n, and so did my bro who's the same age as you.

Well my parents wouldn't let me go to the arcades when I was little. And by the time I became "my own man" -- say 14 and up -- the arcades were beginning to die down.

I also only got into street fighter when it came out as Super Street Fighter II Turbo on the fuckin' 3D0 :lol

EDIT:

What's with this tier bullshit on placing Ken so farther below Ryu? Anyone know why Daigo switched from Ken (SF3) to Ryu (SF4) in the tournaments?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Teknoman said:
That'd be my bad.

Also, the CE for 80 dollars seems to be a real good deal considering all the stuff it comes with. I'm going to attempt to preorder the CE and a fightpad tomorrow, hopefully I'm not too late.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
haunts said:
whew... made some additions to the OP... thanks Jube3 for the help...!

Same here, it took me like 20 minutes to figure out your Photoshop skills :D Thanks Jube3! OP looks much better now, also the new wallpapers posted earlier are up :)

Cynar

C- Warrior said:
What's with this tier bullshit on placing Ken so farther below Ryu? Anyone know why Daigo switched from Ken (SF3) to Ryu (SF4) in the tournaments?

Ken lost the knockdown on his EX fireball is part of it. If you look at his matchups it's mostly even so it's not that bad. This game seems pretty damn balanced. :)

Jube3

Raging Spaniard said:
Same here, it took me like 20 minutes to figure out your Photoshop skills :D Thanks Jube3! OP looks much better now, also the new wallpapers posted earlier are up :)

np glad I could help! The op is monster, I think I've changed my wallpaper about 12 times today :lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
C- Warrior said:
It also seems that Ken has a hard time juggling into his Ultra unlike many other fighters no?

yeah but his Kara-throw mix ups more than make up for it imo... he can do a ton of damage off one or two mix ups/combos.

yeb

My quickie modification to Sinatar's new av:
2cft751.gif

Feel free to use Raging Spaniard's original version if you prefer it, I just couldn't ignore such an easy background. :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
yeb said:
My quickie modification to Sinatar's new av:
2cft751.gif

Feel free to use Raging Spaniard's original version if you prefer it, I just couldn't ignore such an easy background. :D

Oh that's freaking awesome. Now if only I could get the site to register my avatar change.

haunts said:
yeah but his Kara-throw mix ups more than make up for it imo... he can do a ton of damage off one or two mix ups/combos.

What the shit is a Kara-throw? Is it using a focus attack to break through a special move (like a fireball) dashing foward to a throw?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
haunts said:
whew... made some additions to the OP... thanks Jube3 for the help...!

Nice job guys! I'll see if I'll make some more wallpapers today, putting them into the OP might overflood the thing with wallpapers though :lol

CPS2

C- Warrior said:
What the shit is a Kara-throw? Is it using a focus attack to break through a special move (like a fireball) dashing foward to a throw?

Kara-throws are where you cancel a normal before it hits into a throw. The normal usually pushes you forward enough that it gives your throw extra spacing, without much of a delay in startup. You can really only do kara-throws in games where throws use 2 buttons, because the engine allows some slight mistakes (not many people can hit 2 buttons at exactly the same time). So basically if you get it "almost right" the throw works, but players exploit this by adding extra spacing with normal moves.

hwateber

try watching some of Ed Ma's ken videos on youtube. I'm glad to see that tiers in this game are well balanced for the most part. (poor claw)

Jube3

I need to get one of those parental apps installed on this comp so I can block this page. I check this thread way too much.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Does anyone remember the results of testing the loading times with SF4 installed on the 360 HD? Compared to non-installed?

Dartastic

Kintaro said:

WHAT SON, YOU WANNA START A BEEF? NO-NEWMEX, SON! SHIT YO! WE GOTS THE STATE CAPITAL UP HERE BOY! YOU REALIZE WHAT THAT MEANS? WE CAPITALIZE ON ALL YOUR SCRUB MISTAKES YO! WHAT? WHATS THAT? YOU GOT TRANSFORMERS? FUCK THAT! WE GOT THE MOTHA FUCKIN BATMAAAAAAN UP IN HEA! YOU GOT THAT TEEN PREGNANCY SHIT? WE GOT THAT SHIT TOO HOMIE, ONLY WE GOT THE DEADLIEST STRETCH OF HIGHWAY IN THE U S A BETWEEN SANTA AND ESPANOLA, SON! YOU GO JUMP TO THE BORDER TO JUAREZ TO GET DRUNK, YOUNG'IN, AS YOU DON'T EVEN DESERVE TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY, BITCH! SHIIIIIIT! *goes to the Frontier*

Azure J

Dammit, I don't know what it is about this game and what it embodies, but I feel like I have to make this post. I'm a complete SF newbie. 19 years old and I think the most I ever got out of the series was one or two ass-kickings way back when in a time when SFII arcade machines were in almost every pizzeria in Brooklyn. Now this game, after all of the watching and admiring from the sidelines, has finally convinced me to jump in and get my feet wet. Here's to getting better and doing a legacy proud. :D

Jube3

AzureJericho said:
Dammit, I don't know what it is about this game and what it embodies, but I feel like I have to make this post. I'm a complete SF newbie. 19 years old and I think the most I ever got out of the series was one or two ass-kickings way back when in a time when SFII arcade machines were in almost every pizzeria in Brooklyn. Now this game, after all of the watching and admiring from the sidelines, has finally convinced me to jump in and get my feet wet. Here's to getting better and doing a legacy proud. :D

Welcome aboard the hype train!

Arde5643

hwateber said:
try watching some of Ed Ma's ken videos on youtube. I'm glad to see that tiers in this game are well balanced for the most part. (poor claw)
Man, I don't know how Ed Ma does it with Ken - one minute the other guy's turtling, the other minute the other guy is down 60% health and stunned.
Ed Ma is beastly with Ken (who is considered very average in the tiers).

spoon!

Arde5643 said:
Man, I don't know how Ed Ma does it with Ken - one minute the other guy's turtling, the other minute the other guy is down 60% health and stunned.
Ed Ma is beastly with Ken (who is considered very average in the tiers).
Not only having average MU's, but since he's a popular character everyone knows his game really well ;_;

Garcian

All my Street Fighting life I've mained Guile, but it's time for a change (particularly as everyone says he's shit in IV) - I'm going to go for Bison this time, & I have the Bison dollars to prove it.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I watched the Ruliweb 720p WMV videos of both the 360 version and the PS3 version on my 360 and they both look great.
The difference between the versions is more pronounced in screenshots but in motion it's barely noticeable.
I'm usually quite picky but I can honestly say I would be happy with either version.

The game looked good in videos on my monitor but looked astounding on my TV. I can't wait to own it :D

Jube3

Garcian said:
All my Street Fighting life I've mained Guile, but it's time for a change (particularly as everyone says he's shit in IV) - I'm going to go for Bison this time, & I have the Bison dollars to prove it.

yea Ive had Gief as a main for a long time but I might try fuerte and abel out and maybe main one.

Arde5643

Garcian said:
If they give Guile his old FK properties back or at least let him able to do an ultra from his regular comboes, then he'll probably move up to upper middle tier.

Right now, at best he's lower middle tier.

GrayFoxPL

Garcian said:

I'm going to main him for that very own reason. Not really fun to play as top tiers.

Garcian

GrayFoxPL said:
I'm going to main him for that very own reason. Not really fun to play as top tiers.

Oh I'll be trying him out for sure, but I just fancy the change. Will probably try & learn one of the new charcaters as well, but can't decide which.

GrayFoxPL

Garcian said:
Oh I'll be trying him out for sure, but I just fancy the change. Will probably try & learn one of the new charcaters as well, but can't decide which.

Yeah, I'll be playing as handful of fighters. I'm thinking Abel, Fei Long, Sakura and Guile for now.

Like I said in another thread, SF has this advantage over VF and Tekken that everyone shares the 6 button basis and having 3-4 special moves it's easier to jump from one character to another without too much confusion.

rocK`

Banned
new guys that are planning on playing sf4:

if you plan to play online

-do not pick ryu/ken/akuma, learn to diversify. you will get owned because you have no idea what the other characters can do.
-ryu/ken/akuma are great characters, don't get me wrong...most new people have a horrible idea on how to play them (ie. sweep and fireball and stupid ranges. oh yes, i'm going to punish your sweep, and yes, i will jump in on your poorly placed fireball)

I guess what I'm getting at is, if you want to play these characters, at least understand why they are in the game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sinatar said:
Oh that's freaking awesome. Now if only I could get the site to register my avatar change.
Thats odd, when i changed my avatar it was registered in a couple of minutes...
Sucks because that Honda Tentacle avatar is awesome.

Top Bottom