• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You have to unlearn your muscle memory which leads to you being worse with a stick for the first while, but once it clicks there is no going back. I don't regret going stick at all.

C- Warrior said:
Another question:

I didn't grow up on the arcades -- (born in 85') don't know if that puts me in the arcade era or what.

I'm accustomed to a controller for fighting games, and in some instances when I do go to an arcade to play some Tekken; I actually say to myself "man I wish I had a controller."

However, I can't deny the ease sticks give you when pulling combos and two and ones.

Should I learn with a stick (in the rationale that it's truly superior to a controller) or is it one of those things where "you're better with what you're more comfortable with."

Yes. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead playing SF with a pad but if you already are used to playing with a pad and don't have any trouble pulling off moves with it, there's no reason to move to a stick.

Now here come the stick elitists...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Takuan said:
:lol That's awesome. Someone avatar that.

You rang?

feibutt.jpg

bdizzle said:
GAF I NEED A RYU HEADBAND FOR MY AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here you go :)

ghetto.jpg

Rehosting is appreciated, etc

akachan ningen said:

I can pull of any single move consistently with a d-pad, no prblem. Combos is where Ive noticed my limitations cause Im allergic to shoulder buttons, so I map the light and fierce buttons to the face of the controller and barely ever do medium attacks.

Sinatar

I don't suppose some photoshop wizard wants to street fighter up ol purple tentacle? Perhaps sagat's eyepatch would be funny or something?

I'd do it myself but I'm hopeless with picture editing.

Snaku

Banned
Sinatar said:
You have to unlearn your muscle memory which leads to you being worse with a stick for the first while, but once it clicks there is no going back. I don't regret going stick at all.

Yeah, that's kinda why I'm hoping my TE stick arrives from Capcom before SFIV hits. I'd like to spend a good couple of days with it on HDR to unlearn my pad habits.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Sinatar said:
I don't suppose some photoshop wizard wants to street fighter up ol purple tentacle? Perhaps sagat's eyepatch would be funny or something?

Id be happy to, but I dont know how to edit animated gifs, so youd end up with a static image

Sinatar said:

It kind of looks like honda. It would look nice with that sumo skirt he wears.

Sinatar

Raging Spaniard said:
Id be happy to, but I dont know how to edit animated gifs, so youd end up with a static image

That's fine, go nuts if you feel like doing it.

Yea a honda skirt would be funny too.

Skilletor

C- Warrior said:
Should I learn with a stick (in the rationale that it's truly superior to a controller) or is it one of those things where "you're better with what you're more comfortable with."

Stick elitist here: Play on what you're more comfortable on.

If you want to, buy the cheapest stick you can find, see if you like that and if you want to upgrade later you have that option.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
C- Warrior said:
Another question:

I didn't grow up on the arcades -- (born in 85') don't know if that puts me in the arcade era or what.

I'm accustomed to a controller for fighting games, and in some instances when I do go to an arcade to play some Tekken; I actually say to myself "man I wish I had a controller."

However, I can't deny the ease sticks give you when pulling combos and two and ones.

Funny you should say that. I posted this on page 9:

SapientWolf said:
Confession time: I brought a dual shock gamepad to the arcade to play Tekken 5 because I can't do qcf on a joystick reliably. I would do the same for SFIV if I could. It's all about playing on what you're comfortable with.

Thanks for some of the responses.

To be more specific, I can pull of special moves easily on the 360 D-pad, especially when I'm on the left, a 99% success rate with non-hold characters. With hold characters, I'm not so great. Basically because of my 'controller' usage I've been forced to deal with QCF motion - based characters. I'm hoping a stick let's me play some of the hold characters a bit easier.

Secondly, it's hard for me to chain / link attacks together.

The best I can do with a D-pad is a 2 or 3 hit combo. (i.e, jab jab dragon punch).

However, with the stick at the arcades, even though I feel more clumsy, I find it easier to slide into special moves from regular attacks. I.,e cross-up, light kick, light kick, medium kick to hurricane kick. It would be hard for me to do that on the D-pad.

With the D-pad, I would instead just do a cross-up directly into a hurricane kick. That hurricane kick would have a 100% success rate in pulling it off, but I can't do more than that when it comes to combo links. So basically, with a D-pad I can pull of special moves with the shoto/cammy/sagat based characters, but I have a hard time pulling off intermediate to advanced combos, let alone the crap you see on you tube. I do relatively well on online matches primarily because I control space well, zone well, and use special moves rightly so. But very rarely do I jump in and lay off a 5 or 6 hit combo in SF2: HD remake.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
If Capcom or Mad Catz don't send me a Stick, I think I'm going to have to convince my g/f to buy me one for an upcoming b-day or something. It'll be also useful for Pac-man which I absolutely love. It would make fighting on the right side of the screen so much easier since it's hard to go left on the 360 d-pad.

Sinatar

C- Warrior said:

To be more specific, I can pull of special moves easily on the 360 D-pad, especially when I'm on the left, a 99% success rate with non-hold characters. With hold characters, I'm not so great. Basically because of my 'controller' usage I've been forced to deal with QCF motion - based characters. I'm hoping a stick let's me play some of the hold characters a bit easier.

The best I can do with a D-pad is a 2 or 3 hit combo. (i.e, jab jab dragon punch).

However, with the stick at the arcades, even though I feel more clumsy, I find it easier to slide into special moves from regular attacks. I.,e cross-up, light kick, light kick, medium kick to hurricane kick. It would be hard for me to do that on the D-pad.

With the D-pad, I would instead just do a cross-up directly into a hurricane kick. That hurricane kick would have a 100% success rate in pulling it off, but I can't do more than that when it comes to combo links.

For me the biggest issue with the 360 controller wasn't the Dpad (though it was certainly awful) but being forced to use the shoulder buttons for 2 of my attacks. It never felt natural trying to motions on the pad then hitting a shoulder button. Having all 6 buttons easily accessible definitely makes the stick advantageous (or the upcoming fight pad as well).

Caspel said:
If Capcom or Mad Catz don't send me a Stick, I think I'm going to have to convince my g/f to buy me one for an upcoming b-day or something. It'll be also useful for Pac-man which I absolutely love. It would make fighting on the right side of the screen so much easier since it's hard to go left on the 360 d-pad.

Yup. That's my biggest problem. I go from 99%-100% success on special moves when I'm on the left, but put me on the right and it drops to 70-80%. Even worse when I'm trying to pull off a super (I'll end up doing a dragon punch or something).

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Caspel said:

Who are you in contact with at Mad Catz? And why should I send you a stick?

Capcom is not sending out sticks to anyone, it's being handled by Mad Catz.

So yea. Who are you/where do you work for?

Maybe we can work something out.

C- Warrior said:

With the D-pad, I would instead just do a cross-up directly into a hurricane kick. That hurricane kick would have a 100% success rate in pulling it off, but I can't do more than that when it comes to combo links. So basically, with a D-pad I can pull of special moves with the shoto/cammy/sagat based characters, but I have a hard time pulling off intermediate to advanced combos, let alone the crap you see on you tube. I do relatively well on online matches primarily because I control space well, zone well, and use special moves rightly so. But very rarely do I jump in and lay off a 5 or 6 hit combo in SF2: HD remake.

Sounds like you're trying to justify buying a stick. If you want it, then get it.

ashism

akachan ningen said:
Sounds like you're trying to justify buying a stick. If you want it, then get it.
This response seems the most reasonable.
It also sounds like he is putting alot of time into the game, I think the purchase of a fightstick is totally justifiable in his case, as long as his wallet allows it.

FinKL

Those ruliweb.com HD videos are UNBELIEVABLE. The amount of detail on this SF is just insane.

I've been watching Youtube and Cam feeds from this game, but watching it in HD is like a whole other game. Fighting stances before a round are so fluid and I just noticed that when executing an Ultra the opponent's face will reflect an "Aww Shit" moment

http://ruliwebfile.empas.com/mpeg4/capcom/ruliweb_sf4kor_ps3_04.wmv
Perfect example is Rose vs. Gen @ 3:10, Gen goes from his fighting face to eyes wide open and jaw dropping "Aww Shit".
Gen.jpg

negitoro7

Haeleos said:
What character's fight pad are people buying? I think the Chun Li one looks the best.
I want either Ryu, Ken or Chun-Li, but it'll be a gong show because EBGames doesn't have specific-character SKUs for preordering.

keanerie

C- Warrior said:
Yup. That's my biggest problem. I go from 99%-100% success on special moves when I'm on the left, but put me on the right and it drops to 70-80%. Even worse when I'm trying to pull off a super (I'll end up doing a dragon punch or something).

Execution is something everyone deals with, at all levels.

To me it sounds like you really want to try a stick. If you want to do just out of curiosity and you have the bank, by all means go for it. You might make the transition easily, you might not, but if you really want to know what it'll be like, why not?

negitoro7 said:
I want either Ryu, Ken or Chun-Li, but it'll be a gong show because EBGames doesn't have specific-character SKUs for preordering.
same with my EBGames, I have no idea what character will be on my controller

I hope it's not Akuma

-PXG-

akachan ningen said:
Why would you order from EB/GS if they don't let you pick? Buy it somewhere else.

This. Unless you are cool with the staff, good fucking luck getting the controller you want. Hell, I work there (and have a discount) and I still refuse to even take the chance of getting it at my store. :lol

outsidah

-PXG- said:
This. Unless you are cool with the staff, good fucking luck getting the controller you want. Hell, I work there (and have a discount) and I still refuse to even take the chance of getting it at my store. :lol

Agreed. Crazy that you yourself being an employee wont even risk it =/

Amazon has whatever pad you want for pre-order with free shipping and no tax. Winnar!

-PXG-

outsidah said:
Agreed. Crazy that you yourself being an employee wont even risk it =/

Amazon has whatever pad you want for pre-order with free shipping and no tax. Winnar!

I'm getting the game at my store. (regular PS3 version), but I pre-ordered my controller from Amazon.

akachan ningen said:
Why would you order from EB/GS if they don't let you pick? Buy it somewhere else.
because Amazon Canada sucks compared to Amazon USA... and Amazon USA does not ship to Canada if the Canadian one doesn't sell them

ph15h

Neo Member
:( I've officially given up my SFIV:CE PS3 version search.

=/ Guess I'll settle with the regular version.

-_- Hopefully I'l be able to snag the extras on ebay or an actual when it comes out.

back on topic. few more days :D

blackadde

C- Warrior said:
Another question:

it really is whatever you're comfortable with. it should only take a couple of days to get comfortable with either regardless.

Teknoman

Takuan said:
Holy shit :lol

Dude on the other side of the cabinet must've been scared shitless. How do you resist the urge to kick someone like that in the face?

Guy was good with the parries....but damn I would've just laughed it off. That kind of reaction just makes me laugh. Probably would've told em to chill out.

Never helps when they have cronies in the back trying to help start stuff.

outsidah

Teknoman said:
Guy was good with the parries....but damn I would've just laughed it off. That kind of reaction just makes me laugh. Probably would've told em to chill out.

That was just too much... I can't stand those nerds that go into nerd rages or whatever the fuck that guy was going through.

Zeliard

akachan ningen said:
Yes. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead playing SF with a pad but if you already are used to playing with a pad and don't have any trouble pulling off moves with it, there's no reason to move to a stick.

Stick just offers you much more control. You can be used to gamepads, sure, but your ceiling there is limited. Someone with a stick will always have a greater chance of effectiveness than someone with a gamepad. It's like the difference between dual analog and mouse/keyboard for shooters.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknoman said:

I would love to beat him just to shut him up. And then walk away like he wasn't even worth my time.

Teknoman

SapientWolf said:
I would love to beat him just to shut him up. And then walk away like he wasn't even worth my time.

One thing I like about beating guys like that (encountered some Gears 2 guys like that a week or so ago) is that when you beat em, they dont say anything at all.

CAVE343

C- Warrior said:
If your not used to a stick I think this is a great time to jump in, a new game is coming. This gives you a great opportunity to start using a stick instead of a pad, I'm pretty sure that once you get used to it you'll be kicking ass in no time.

I'm also a pad player (mostly) that's making the switch. I really think this is the best time to switch.

But I'm also buying a pad for the guests, and I like them all except the Blanka one so chances are small I recieve that one :) I'm taking the risk with my preorder :)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Yeah just play what you are comfortable on but man do I hate how quiet pads are. I like the sound of ppl goin buckwild on joysticks.

_dementia said:
haha nice curly mustache smiley

Marvel drama is all well and good, but 3S is also serious business:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iv7B0JZodU&fmt=18

Im a bit late to responding to this, but I was actually like right behind that guy for a long time. He is really nice believe it or not, just wiles out when he plays. :lol

ashism

haunts said:
Yeah just play what you are comfortable on but man do I hate how quiet pads are. I like the sound of ppl goin buckwild on joysticks.

Im a bit late to responding to this, but I was actually like right behind that guy for a long time. He is really nice believe it or not, just wiles out when he plays. :lol
Was he like provoked or is he always trying to find the fastest way to get stabbed by strangers?

edit: Is this what the so cal scene is like?

Teknoman

haunts said:

Was the other guy taunting em pre-match or something?

Top Bottom