• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

So I was at 7-11 earlier today to buy a pack of smokes and the guy - older guy, probably 50 or so - sees me looking at the James Bond and Madden games on the shelf behind him and he says "are you looking for a videogame?"

I don't expect a thing but I tell him "uh... yeah. It's called Street Fighter 4..." and he tells me there's a game that they just got in but they can't sell it until tomorrow. If I want it, I can come back at midnight and he'll sell it to me. So I'm like O_O and thinking "No fucking way." It can't be SF4... he goes in the back to check the name of it and he says it's called "Halo 3." :lol

Ridli said:
I'm getting nervous since Gamestop's robotic trollop did not call me today. Gaffers who were called by Gamestop, did you get the call from your local dudes or from Ashley?

There are a lot of other retailers around so I'm certain I'll be able to grab a copy tomorrow, but I really don't want to spend my day running from walmarts to strip malls and so forth.

If all goes well, I will break my fast with waffles, and then right afterwards I sink my teeth into the meaty haunch of Street Fighter's glorious return!
Where do you live?

Yeah, Amazon shipped mine out today. But honestly, I'll probably just use it as a printed out reference guide for the moves (even though the game has them already). I saw a bunch of peeps complaining on SRK about the tier list he created. And I don't think he included frame data like the Mook released in Japan.

The best fighting game guide released in the U.S. was the SFA2 by Versus book (Matt Taylor, etc). The Tekken 3 wasn't too shabby either.

I thought the Gamefan ones weren't too bad (SF3 and Nightwarriors).

Yeah, first post on 150.

Happy SF4 day all.

He has frame data in there for arcade chars.

-PXG-

thirtytwoutside said:
So I was at 7-11 earlier today to buy a pack of smokes and the guy sees me looking at the James Bond and Madden games on the shelf behind him and he says "are you looking for a videogame?"

I don't expect a thing but I tell him "uh... yeah. It's called Street Fighter 4..." and he tells me there's a game that they just got in but they can't sell it until tomorrow. If I want it, I can come back at midnight and he'll sell it to me. So I'm like O_O and thinking "No fucking way." It can't be SF4... he goes in the back to check the name of it and he says it's called "Halo 3." :lol

:lol

Teknoman

abstract alien said:
You say this...but you will play anyway. You know damn well you will turn it on to, " see what its like real quick..."

Six hours later you will ask yourself what just happen :lol

Happens to everyone.:lol

Linkhero1

thirtytwoutside said:
So I was at 7-11 earlier today to buy a pack of smokes and the guy - older guy, probably 50 or so - sees me looking at the James Bond and Madden games on the shelf behind him and he says "are you looking for a videogame?"

:lol :lol

I'm dying here. :lol

Arde5643

abstract alien said:
You say this...but you will play anyway. You know damn well you will turn it on to, " see what its like real quick..."

Six hours later you will ask yourself what just happen :lol
Street Fighter 4's hell of a drug.

thirtytwoutside said:

That sucks :lol :lol

Forced myself to learn how to do Guile's classic super in HDR (which is the same motion that he has in SFIV) with a pad. It took 2 hours, but I can get it out on command now. Sucks to hear that he does no damage according to those who've played already, but hopefully it doesn't stay that way for long (Patch ftw Capcom: don't you dare SF4:Hyper Turbo me >:mad:). Plus, it'll make it that much sweeter when I kick Shoto/Sagat ass :D

Guile: No combos, no problem.

Xevren

I have never gotten a call in regards to a reservation at Gamestop, it's best just to call. My store will have them in around 1.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh some of you people don't have SFIV yet.

That's adorable.

*swivels chair around and continues playing*

careksims

Ridli said:
I'm getting nervous since Gamestop's robotic trollop did not call me today. Gaffers who were called by Gamestop, did you get the call from your local dudes or from Ashley?

I got the call directly from an employee. No Ashley this time.

Ridli

Rez said:
Oh some of you people don't have SFIV yet.

That's adorable.

*swivels chair around and continues playing*

angry_cat.jpg

I got the call directly from an employee. No Ashley this time.

Well that is at least some reassuring news. The GS near my place has quite a bit of volume so they generally are good about getting games on ship dates as opposed to +1, but it's been a long time since I've had hype levels of this magnitude.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TurtleSnatcher said:
Id call tomororw.. though I dont think AZ is getting same day shipments.
I called a GS in Tucson and they said they would have it in tomorrow around noon. The guy on the phone might have been full of poo but it's worth a shot.

Etelmik

Neo Member
Walmart has the slot and SKU in the shelves, but they don't have it in, even if they said they would. Wednesday or Friday or some bullshit.

GS or GC with employees that are pumped and manually retrieving shipments are the only way.

Zertez

Ridli said:

There are a lot of other retailers around so I'm certain I'll be able to grab a copy tomorrow, but I really don't want to spend my day running from walmarts to strip malls and so forth.

If all goes well, I will break my fast with waffles, and then right afterwards I sink my teeth into the meaty haunch of Street Fighter's glorious return!
The voicemail that was left from GS, said I could pick up the game tomorrow when the store opens. It wasnt Ashley this time. It was an employee because he stumbled a few times and forgot what he was talking about :lol

Ridli

SapientWolf said:
I called a GS in Tucson and they said they would have it in tomorrow around noon. The guy on the phone might have been full of poo but it's worth a shot.

Ha! Old Pueblo! Which GS? Wetmore? Campbell? Broadway? Either way I'm taking that as good news.

Caj814

thirtytwoutside said:

One thing I think everyone learned while trying to get a US copy of SFIV early is that 7-11 employees are a bunch of trolls :lol
2r7u1k7.jpg

senahorse

Question to SFIV + Good quality stick owners:

Does a good stick make much of a different for pulling off QCF type moves? As I am still waiting for my LE/s I have had to resort to using the Hori EX (DOA)...which seems erratic at best. Sometimes I can pull off many fireballs in succession at other times I can't do any, is this due to the stick being of shitty quality and registering the wrong directions (training mode would have me believe so) or more so to me getting used to square gate on Japanese sticks.

Jirotrom

Guled said:
Grapplers Pack - Zangief, E Honda, Rufus, Abel, El Fuerte
Beauty Pack - Chun Li, C.Viper, Sakura, Rose, Cammy
Shoryuken Pack - Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Dan
Shadoloo Pack - Dictator, Sagat, Claw, Boxer, Seth
Classic Pack - Guile, Blanka, Dhalsim, Gen, Fei Long

$4 each pack, one pack comes out per week
thanks! how many costumes per character?

Caj814

x3n05 said:

Does a good stick make much of a different for pulling off QCF type moves? As I am still waiting for my LE/s I have had to resort to using the Hori EX (DOA)...which seems erratic at best. Sometimes I can pull off many fireballs in succession at other times I can't do any, is this due to the stick being of shitty quality and registering the wrong directions (training mode would have me believe so) or more so to me getting used to square gate on Jap sticks.

Yes a good stick makes a huge difference imo.After going through a lot of stock sticks over the years I finally decided to get my Tekken 5 stick modded last year with Sanwa parts.I definitely don't regret it and you should definitely be able to tell a difference in how smoothly your motions will come out.

senahorse

Caj814 said:
Yes a good stick makes a huge difference imo.After going through a lot of stock sticks over the years I finally decided to get my Tekken 5 stick modded last year with Sanwa parts.I definitely don't regret it and you should definitely be able to tell a difference in how smoothly your motions will come out.

Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. :D

I thought this might be the case, as I had the input showing up on the screen, and nearly every time I did a qcf movement it came out differently on screen but I was doing the same motion...new sticks can't arrive soon enough.

Ridli

x3n05 said:

Does a good stick make much of a different for pulling off QCF type moves? As I am still waiting for my LE/s I have had to resort to using the Hori EX (DOA)...which seems erratic at best. Sometimes I can pull off many fireballs in succession at other times I can't do any, is this due to the stick being of shitty quality and registering the wrong directions (training mode would have me believe so) or more so to me getting used to square gate on Jap sticks.

I have a Hori EX2 (same exact thing as the DOA), and while I agree the thing is crappy, I'm more inclined to believe you may be having trouble with the square gate than any hardware issues. I know it took me a while to get used to knowing when to stop my motion for QCF when adjusting to that kind of gate.

However, if you have a training mode available with inputs, keep trying. I wouldn't say that it's impossible for the stick to have problems, it's just more likely that the buttons will be the hardware giving you issue. If everything feels right in training, and you still see button inputs that are obviously incorrect, you may have a faulty stick.

I would still recommend replacing that EX2 down the road if you get serious about fighting games. It's an ok entry level stick, but it's easy to outgrow. Makes a fun mod project if you can solder though!

senahorse

Ridli said:
I have a Hori EX2 (same exact thing as the DOA), and while I agree the thing is crappy, I'm more inclined to believe you may be having trouble with the square gate than any hardware issues. I know it took me a while to get used to knowing when to stop my motion for QCF when adjusting to that kind of gate.

However, if you have a training mode available with inputs, keep trying. I wouldn't say that it's impossible for the stick to have problems, it's just more likely that the buttons will be the hardware giving you issue. If everything feels right in training, and you still see button inputs that are obviously incorrect, you may have a faulty stick.

I would still recommend replacing that EX2 down the road if you get serious about fighting games. It's an ok entry level stick, but it's easy to outgrow. Makes a fun mod project if you can solder though!

Thanks for the input. Yes I do think that me getting used to the square gate has got something to do with it. I just found it weird that I could do 10-20 fireballs in a row and then it would take me 10 or more goes to get just one. I do have at least one TE Fightstick on the way so by the time that gets here (looking like early April) I should really be able to appreciate it. Regarding modding the Hori, well I can solder but from some of the modding projects I have seen on it, it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth but certainly something I am keeping in mind. Thanks again for the feedback guys, looks like it's back to the training shed. :D

so i called up a few stores in my area, one wal mart said they haven't got their shipment in, the other said that he didn't know and to just to go in the morning to check (lame!) my work hasn't gotten our shipment in yet either :mad:

this sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before!!!!

punkypine

so after some research, i decided that i'm going to order the PS3 Fighting Stick 3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MWE3BI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

its my first arcade stick, and i'm not exactly looking for the best quality- and it seems decent enough (i dont really wanna risk getting a busted madcatz one since i dont really know what i'm doing in the first place)

my main question is, i cant seem to find its dimensions anywhere. in the customer pic on amazon, it looks a bit small, to anyone who has used this, is the size comfortable? i dont really feel like throwing down 100+ on something that i'm not even sure how much i'd prefer to a nice controller

just wanted to get some final input, i keep having 2nd thoughts and i have like 15 hours to order before the delivery date gets pushed back :lol

-PXG-

Ryder said:
*KNOCKS DOWN MAGAZINE RACK*

I am seriously waiting for someone to come into my store and do that shit. I'm not kidding, I will chase after them, beat them senseless and make them fix it :lol

Caj814

just got a default store is closed in store pickup message from Best Buy.I guess anyone who preordered can get theres tomorrow.

Top Bottom