• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Ferrio

Banned
traveler said:
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm trying to learn and I keep seeing this complaint voiced over and over- how exactly does one protect themselves against throws? People are saying they'll just keep doing it against me over and over until I stop leaving myself open but I don't even know what open is. :lol (I know in SCIV guarding high lead for extended periods would get you thrown but I'm just not that familiar with SF)

Are you close to someone and not attacking/throwing? Then you're open for throws.

traveler said:
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm trying to learn and I keep seeing this complaint voiced over and over- how exactly does one protect themselves against throws? People are saying they'll just keep doing it against me over and over until I stop leaving myself open but I don't even know what open is. :lol (I know in SCIV guarding high lead for extended periods would get you thrown but I'm just not that familiar with SF)

Protect yourself from them getting close and grabbing you.

Also if you throw at the same time they do then you do a Tech Hit and you both kind of push off eachother and no one throws :)

Akim

Banned
Akim said:
Wow, this is fucking bullshit.

The gamestop I preordered at doesnt have them until wednesday.

The other gamestop closest to me has them but only for preorders.

Bestbuy says tomorrow.

Found a gamestop that had extra, even had an extra CE.

bob_arctor said:
No, but seriously:

-PLEASE try someone OTHER than Ryu, Ken, or Akuma.

When I get the game tonight, I am going to hop online immediately. Since I won't have my main to use (Fei Long) until I unlock him... I will be playing a couple rounds as Ken.

:( Plz to not be hurting me.

Guled said:
so I'm sitting here F5ing waiting for word of a store in Toronto selling it, I can't do anything else until I get it, what has SF done to me

I'm kind of the same way. I don't even mind waiting another day, but I preordered the CE and I just want to make sure I friggin' get it after they fucked up my House of the Dead Overkill pre-order last week. Remember the days when reserving something meant it was reserved for you? *sigh*

Akira

Just picked this up at Gamestop without pre-ordering. No extra copies for PS3, but since I wanted to buy the 360 version I was able to get it. Installing now!

krazen

Sidzed2 said:
HELP ME, OBI-WAN KENOBI (Er, that is to say, SFIV Gaf)!

I'm a total scrub / noob / what have you to the world of streetfighter, but I'm reasonably proficient with other fighters, such as the Soul Calibur series.

I am in love with every single aspect of this game except its controls. I just suck. I just cannot bloody perform any move with any sort of consistency in this game, using the DualShock 3. For example, I find it almost impossible to do a Hadouken with the D-Pad. I just cannot do it consistently. Maybe one in every four attempts. What the hell? The circlular motion just won't register at all.

With the analgoue stick, I fare slightly better, but everything feels so imprecise. I have practised, practised and practised, but I just can't do it. Is there any pro-tip for using the DualShock 3 which might make it easier? Or do people just use the analogue stick?

I want to love this game so badly, but I'm just not good enough...I feel terrible at it, which is something I seldom feel when playing a game...

Advice, per favor?

practice, practice, practice.

Id stay away from the joystick and work on the pad. There are better pads, but the dual shock should be enough for all the regular special moves. Really, it's just training mode and practice/practice/practice. Put on something on the soundtrack, and knock it out, and with the pad remember you want to push/slide your thumb from the bottom to the right and probably begin the key depress right when you feel yourself get to the corner of the motion

Guled said:
so I'm sitting here F5ing waiting for word of a store in Toronto selling it, I can't do anything else until I get it, what has SF done to me

I'm a bit surprised we haven't heard anything. I'm off at 5 so I'll find out soon. Hopefully my location has them.

SoulFist

STREEEEET FIGHTEEEEEER 4! You guy's won't be seeing me for a good month. Got my TE stick today too! Add me up online. GT SoulFist7. PEACE!

Sidzed2

krazen said:
practice, practice, practice.

Id stay away from the joystick and work on the pad. There are better pads, but the dual shock should be enough for all the regular special moves. Really, it's just training mode and practice/practice/practice. Put on something on the soundtrack, and knock it out, and with the pad remember you want to push/slide your thumb from the bottom to the right and probably begin the key depress right when you feel yourself get to the corner of the motion

Thank you very much. I'll just keep playing and practising until I 'feel it'. I must say, though, for all this talk of 'accessibility' the inputs are still fairly demanding for inexperienced SF players. i know most of you will love that, but I feel a tiny bit excluded. I want to be in on the party too!

Who is a good character to for a total scrub to start with? I'm thinking one of the shotos (Sagat is the only character with whom I could beat Seth in Arcade mode!), but I'm also having fun with Bison as well.

negitoro7

Raging Spaniard's entry is way nicer than the one posted that supposedly won.

edit: my bad, looks like he is one of the winners. congrats!!

Spy

I'm back from my lunch break and I can successfully report I got my CE from Gamestop. Gamestop didn't have any FightSticks...GameCrazy did but they were for preorders only. I went home and put SFIV in my PS3 so I can have it install while I am at work only to see there was a 1.01 4mb update. My internet is usually very fast but for some reason it was only downloading at 4kb a sec, of all days for it to act up. I left my PS3 on and am now back at work. I'll have to install it when I get home from work.

Stupid update.

I DID IT! I FREAKIN DID IT!!!!!! I found a copy at lunch. I had to wait till the UPS truck came but it came just as I was about to leave! So if you're in the GTA check your local stores!!!!

Arde5643

ThirstyFly said:
You lose BP? Uh-oh :(
If you lose against someone with a similar ranking, you lose BP in the teens.

However if you lose against someone much lower than you, you lose BP in the hundreds. :D

Of course, this means that winning against a very high ranked opp means that you gain lots of BP.

krazen

Sidzed2 said:
Thank you very much. I'll just keep playing and practising until I 'feel it'. I must say, though, for all this talk of 'accessibility' the inputs are still fairly demanding for inexperienced SF players. i know most of you will love that, but I feel a tiny bit excluded. I want to be in on the party too!

Who is a good character to for a total scrub to start with? I'm thinking one of the shotos (Sagat is the only character with whom I could beat Seth in Arcade mode!), but I'm also having fun with Bison as well.

Ignore the shoto hate on these boards, but those are the bread and butter. Id probably use them first since they are so popular and it will give you a handle on at least knowing how to defeat them if you chose another character after all. Haunts was saying earlier that Ryu was probably one of the better characters that summed up all the new changes in SF4.

But even then, if its not fun after awhile, just chose someone who feels right. Hell, I remember yeaaaars ago in original SF2 days I would trymy best to only play ken/ryu because I thought they were cool and I would get my butt handed to me, but when I brought out Chun Li it was a whole different ballgame:p

FightyF

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
So now there's more American players online. Had a few more decent-good matches (finally lost some BP!), but it's still 98% shotoscrub, only now with guys on mics going either "HELLO? HELLO! HELLO?! CAN U HEAR ME HELLO?!?!" or just endless cursing like "WHAT THE FUCK FUCK FUCK SHIT WHAT HOW'D YOU DO DAT BULLSHIT FUCK," etc.

I was thinking about making this my XBL Profile. What do you think, guys?

Some free advice for new players.

-PLEASE try someone OTHER than Ryu, Ken, or Akuma.
-PLEASE try do SPECIAL MOVES. Endless sweeps and jumpkicks are not going to get you very far.
-LEARN to BLOCK. You just hold back!
-NO, I'm not cheating when I use focus attacks.
-YES, I'm going to throw your ass every chance I get, especially if you never counter and just let me keep doing it to you OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
-YES, I CAN hear you, but I am not using a mic.
-MAYBE you should go back to CoD4, Madden, or whatever if this upsets you.

I mean damn, it wasn't think bad in HD Remix, and going back it wasn't this bad with other Capcom online games either. Maybe it's just that more popular than the others were?

1) I like using Ken
2) I like beating people without using any special moves
3) I hope you can recover out of throws in SF4 :(
4) I like it when I can talk and the other guy can't talk back that way I can talk about how I leaked all the puss out of the blister on my foot.

Gonna cruise Calgary and see if this title is in stock.

G-Fex

going tonight to midnight sale at P&T next to my store, conveniently when I get off of work. Haha, SF4 will be mine!:lol :D

Ronabo

One of the benefits of having a gamer girlfriend is that you always have something in common to do together or talk about. One drawback is that she likes to drum on Rock Band 2 when she comes home from work for an hour. (for stress relief and exercise) She has to do this on SF4day keeping me off the 360.

Anyways, I noticed that the Madcatz pads seem to work better for this game than they did for SSF2THD.

Teknoman

lol I mean im falling for all the oldest tricks in the book too. Hurricane kicks left and right, or just high and low tiger shots.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Supposedly the GS store I reserved my TE stick at is getting mine in tomorrow! They said they received 40-something units and will be fulfilling a few reserves around the company.

Arde5643

Ronabo said:
One of the benefits of having a gamer girlfriend is that you always have something in common to do together or talk about. One drawback is that she likes to drum on Rock Band 2 when she comes home from work for an hour. (for stress relief and exercise) She has to do this on SF4day keeping me off the 360.

Anyways, I noticed that the Madcatz pads seem to work better for this game than they did for SSF2THD.
It's most likely because of the easier input now for SF4. I think you can do shoryuken just by 33+P instead of 623+P.

f0nz0

wha wha, got a calll from my gs saying my "reserve" copy was in at about 1030am...

heres the kicker

i never reserved a copy

very strange..

needless to say i went in, hoping i had magically put some money down on the reservation but "I" didnt, i still purchased it tho... :D

is it me, or do the commands seem to give you more "flexibility" ???

i know leadin up to the game i was playin a lot of HDR with my new stick and my shoryukens were not coming out on a consistent basis, in SF4 shoryukens come out super easy..weird.

Top Bottom