• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Barrett2

I could barely make myself go to school today, I can't wait 9 hours to play again!

Last night I executed my Ultra at almost the exact moment that C. Viper did. Both of them executed, and hers hit me first. Awesome, awesome moment. This game is IN-DE-STRUCTIBLE!

rhino4evr

What is FADC?

Also..I am having problems pulling off combos in Trial Mode. For instance doing the Heavy Punch, and then Haduken is almost impossible. I don't even understand when Im supposed to make the movement.

I had a similar problem doing Chun Li's crouch punch to a upside down kick. It says I need to charge, but I don't have enough time....

Help!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Teknoman said:
Its the hype :lol hype for anything always makes people wake up earlier than normal.

EDIT: Its going to suck if we cant ever unlock rival themes for versus. Too good to only be heard once. A heated El Fuerte vs Zangief on the cruise stage (is that some terrorist showcase cruise ship?) with the Zangief remix playing is great to watch/play.
This is so true. The day 360 came out, I got up at 6 AM and the UPS man didn't come until 4:30 PM. After playing an hour of Perfect Dark, I had to take a nap.

Farewell SF4...I'll be back in a few hours....

Barrett2

My wife even played a few rounds last night. She was C. Viper, and I was messing around with different character.

I showed her how to do one of Viper's special moves, and my wife just spammed that move over and over. It was pretty fun.

After experimenting with different players, Balrog and Sagat are my favorites. I will be playing with them I think.

^_^

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
h3ro said:
No custom soundtrack support huh... Then what do you call this?
Excellent, this will help me out a lot. Now I can rip my old SF soundtracks and play with them a little.

Game is great except the more realistic nature of the game changes the way chars jump and behave. Loving it so far though. It's been too long since we've had a legitimately new SF console release.

_dementia said:
you can use it to link special moves into supers for BIG DAMAGE

How do you link the cancel into a super? I thought it was so that you bait them into doing something (because they think you are committed to the focus attack), so you could punish.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
_dementia said:
you can use it to link special moves into supers for BIG DAMAGE
I wish there was some kind of good explanation of when and why I'd want to do this.

It sounds like mid-supermove I cancel out of it and continue the beatdown combo style?

Like I could do a super and mid-super turn it into an ultra?

That sound right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
fabs115 said:
Was finaly able to beat Seth on very easy........by having a 1 round 30 second match and having time expire. :(
I beat him on hard the first time. I don't know if it was just luck or something but I was never contested once. I did lose a couple matches on my way up to him.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
RubxQub said:
I wish there was some kind of good explanation of when and why I'd want to do this.

It sounds like mid-supermove I cancel out of it and continue the beatdown combo style?

Like I could do a super and mid-super turn it into an ultra?

That sound right?

You're getting the right idea.

1) You can use it to "parry" projectiles (you take damage that's recoverable if you're not hit) which builds your Revenge Meter.

2) You can use it as bait to make an opponent force a move (for example, charge it up and dash in or back out of it). Perhaps use this against Shotos looking to use wake up Shoryukens. Act like you're going to FA them as they wake up, dash back out of it as they whiff the wake up SRK. Then punch them in the mush.

3) You can use it as a cancel after a special move to link into other moves. For example, use it to cancel out of Ryu's Shoryuken after the hit launches the opponent into the air, Focus Attack Dash Cancel forward, then hit them on their way down with your Ultra.

4) You can also just to counter and punish a careless opponent or escape a string of attacks or blocks. The Focus Attack also does good damage when used by itself at level 3. Say you cause a dizzy, move in and begin your next assault with a nice FA.

This link explains the system well too.

h3ro

LiquidMetal14 said:
Excellent, this will help me out a lot. Now I can rip my old SF soundtracks and play with them a little.

Game is great except the more realistic nature of the game changes the way chars jump and behave. Loving it so far though. It's been too long since we've had a legitimately new SF console release.

Yep, custom soundtracks are great for fighting games. I've put the SFIIITS OST on my Zune and have it play during training or challenges... Wish the 360 accepted file transfers onto the hard disk like my PS3 does...

BitchTits

GrayFoxPL said:
I 'd live without T.Hawk, but Dee Jay is fucking awesome. Best charge character hands down. Sorry Guile.
This.

I've been playing some 3rd Strike (360 BC) and I would really like to see some 3rd Strike characters too - Dudley, Ibuki, it'll never happen, but I'd like Necro too.

RubxQub

rhino4evr said:
anyone else suffering from "street fighter thumb" this morning? My thumb is beat red.
Get the stick! GET THE STICK!!!

After my SF4-athon yesterday I'm much more comfortable with a stick and enjoy using it over a pad now.

rhino4evr

RubxQub said:
Get the stick! GET THE STICK!!!

After my SF4-athon yesterday I'm much more comfortable with a stick and enjoy using it over a pad now.

What stick? The huge ass one? No thanks, my wife would kill me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
DaCocoBrova said:
The game is pretty nice. Some things I don't like:

- Caricature-esque art direction. It looks silly, and only sometimes looks cool (Chun-Li for example, if you totally ignore her hands). Ken and Ryu look dumb as hell. Ken with his 'Eight is Enough' bowl haircut, and deformed looking, roided out arms.

- I'm not too impressed w/ the game on a technical level. Outside of the HD/16:9 thing, I don't see how this couldn't be done on a PS2 or XBOX without too much being sacrificed. The texture work especially.

I kind of agree with you. The graphics aren't as impressive as I thought they'd be. I think they would work on the Wii really nice too, and there's little doubt in my mind Capcom is working on that. I really don't like the Tekken esque hit flash things.

Still... I am itching to play the game again. It's quite radical. This + HDR will be all I need for a long long time (forever?).

BlueBlur1 said:
Oh man, no T. Hawk or Dee Jay please. I would much rather see some SFIII characters instead (and I barely got to play SFIII).

I'll take Dee Jay but T.Hawk, no need. Put in some characters from SF3, yea, maybe Elena or Q to mix things up.

RubxQub

Kintaro said:
You're getting the right idea.

1) You can use it to "parry" projectiles (you take damage that's recoverable if you're not hit) which builds your Revenge Meter.

2) You can use it as bait to make an opponent force a move (for example, charge it up and dash in or back out of it).

3) You can use it as a cancel after a special move to link into other moves. For example, use it to cancel out of Ryu's Shoryuken after the hit launches the opponent into the air, Focus Attack Dash Cancel forward, then hit them on their way down with your Ultra.

4) You can also just to counter and punish a careless opponent or escape a string of attacks or blocks. The Focus Attack also does good damage when used by itself at level 3. Say you cause a dizzy, move in and begin your next assault with a nice FA.
Hmm...using Focus Attacks to trick people into moving towards or away from you sounds like a tactic that would only work against advanced players. Most people online don't quite know what to do when I'm charging up a focus attack.

A lot of folks just stand at a distance and block. Other folks don't even notice it and could walk right into it. Some people realize I'm doing something that takes some charging, but try and hit me with a fierce attack only to get hit in the jaw full force with a L3 FA.

I'm sure over time people will become more familiar with Focus Attacks and learn how to react to them properly.

...so to execute a FADC, I just hit MK/LP at the same time mid combo and double tap forward or reverse?

This sounds like something I'd definitely want to do to setup a super/ultra combo.

Edit: And how bad ass does Fei Long's ultra look? Holy flying kicks batman.

I'm really enjoying El Fuerte. I have a feeling that one I learn how to play as him, he'll become one of my mains.

rhino4evr said:
anyone else suffering from "street fighter thumb" this morning? My thumb is beat red.
Thankfully, I've built up a callous there over the years, but even then, I'm still feeling it. :lol

Talamius

17-13 so far online. Add me to the list of people who has a sore thumb this morning :lol

Went about as expected, got beat down by people a lot better and, in turn, beat down a lot of shotos. Only had 2 matches where lag was a factor.

I am really starting to dig Gief. He's a beast.

xt04

Neo Member
diffusionx said:
I kind of agree with you. The graphics aren't as impressive as I thought they'd be. I think they would work on the Wii really nice too....

ehhhhh...I dont see the Wii doing anything close to this.

You guys are a hard bunch to please. I think it looks fantastic. Its not MGS or anything, but it doesnt need to be. Its an exaggerated extension of the old school games. Besides, I would take a 2D game even as long as it retains the Street Fighter gameplay.

Threi

notag
*rocking in chair*

cmooon paycheck.

oh btw people easiest, 1 round, 30 second timer = easy time unlocking chars + FADC training.

multitask people.

Captain N said:
I was having a good night...thanks for bringin' it up...Since you asked I have 5 wins.

It says on my stats that I only played 55 matches

Matches • 55

Wins • 5

Longest win streak • 2

I am hoping for 10 wins by March

:lol :lol :lol sorry but that's just hilarious. what version you have?

xt04

Neo Member
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Getting ready for work now, my hands are fucking sore from playing this shit so much last night...jeez...:lol

My hands are fine (HRAP ftw), but my mind...for the first time in ages I stayed up all night to play a game, not really caring that I had to be to work in the morning. Im fairly certain I'll pay for this around 2pm or so.

Sleep is temporary. Street Fighter is FOREVER!

diffusionx

Gold Member
xt04 said:
ehhhhh...I dont see the Wii doing anything close to this.

You guys are a hard bunch to please. I think it looks fantastic. Its not MGS or anything, but it doesnt need to be. Its an exaggerated extension of the old school games. Besides, I would take a 2D game even as long as it retains the Street Fighter gameplay.

I'd take a 2D game, too. Shit put it with CPS2 graphics and I'll play it.

But you guys are too sensitive. I think its fair to criticize the game's technical chops. I mean, I didn't criticize the game's mechanics or say it was not fun because it wasn't as impressive as I thought it'd be.

i'm going to be thinking about this all day

i work until 5 and then go to school until 10 so it's going to be more than 12 hours until i can play this again

i'm addicted already

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Ah, man, I'm so bad. 20% win percentage. I guess it's to be expected that the people getting the game day -1 are going to be pretty good off the bat, granted... I'm sure we'll see some distillation of skill as the more average consumers that weren't counting down the days towards release (or weren't even aware it was coming out) jump in.

I did utterly destroy a Gouken with my E. Honda though, that felt really nice. Honda's EX buttslam is hot stuff.

xt04

Neo Member
diffusionx said:
I'd take a 2D game, too. Shit put it with CPS2 graphics and I'll play it.

But you guys are too sensitive. I think its fair to criticize the game's technical chops. I mean, I didn't criticize the game's mechanics or say it was not fun because it wasn't as impressive as I thought it'd be.

I dont think I'm being sensitive.

Im also not knocking you for your opinion. I was more saying that I dont see where its technically lacking. I guess im trying to get a grasp on what you felt should have been in that wasnt? More lighting effects? Better textures? Just trying to understand your point of view better.

BTW Id kill for something like what SNK is doing with KOF. That game looks tremendous.

ShinAmano

So I finally got to play it last night...and I played it all night long.

Quick impressions:
- Awesome in every way
- Harder then I was expecting
- New characters are interesting though I am garbage with most as of now.
- Focus Attacks are awesome and game changing.
- Seth is a douche.
- Took a couple hours to get used to it and play like I knew what i was doing (distance and timing)
- Tried right off with the TE stick but moved back to the fightpad due to poor results...I think learning where I play best then applying it to the stick will be easier then to have an alien input device and a new game all at once.

Overall incredible...look forward to seeing you online.

*Spaniard you got your art all over my SF4 (this is a good thing yours and the Chun Viper ones are the two best IMO).

AgentOtaku said:
So I'm don't wanna be yet ANOTHER shoto out there in SF-Land, so was wondering how Abel plays

He reminds a bit of my man Joe Higashi from FF/KoF. Is this a bit accurate or no?

Was also gonna beef up on my Sakura skills

abel is my fav player in the game. i call him the anti-shoto. he likes to get up close and personal. if you know how to fadc and do links you can really punish someone for missing a dp, ultra, or not blocking at the right time. if you want help practicing with him send me a friend req, put gaf abel in the subject

psn: longmeat
xbl: sir long meat

I have been playing a lot of Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix leading up to the release of SFIV, and now that it is here I feel a little overwhelmed. I am not really sure where to start, I have hit the training mode to work on pulling off come combos and moves, but beyond that I am not entirely sure what to do. Every time I play the computer, even on easiest, I usually lose.
So where do I start? I really want to get my head around Street Fighter IV(I even bought the guide!), but I don’t know where to begin. Someone show me the path to being mildly competent at Street Fighter because right now I am terrible.

Cowie

Ashley told me my copy would be in today before noon
which means i'm going to show up like 10 minutes before the store opens because I AM INCAPABLE OF WAITING ANY LONGER

Barrett2

I am a scrub, but after messing around last night I LOVE Balrog.

Is he noob friendly, or is there some other players a scrub like me should be learning before Balrog?

Top Bottom