• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
How's it after an install on the 360?

Also, fuck setting the game intterupt to ranked, I didn't make it past the load screen of my first fight for aaaages :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
McBradders said:
How's it after an install on the 360?

Also, fuck setting the game intterupt to ranked, I didn't make it past the load screen of my first fight for aaaages :lol

I'd say it knocked a second or two off loads- went from about 6 secs to 4 secs.

rhino4evr

the good news: the game is awesome. Online play (on PSN) worked great.
the bad news: I haven't won a single online match yet. Im 0-7. :(

MGrant

Would Best Buy have the game at opening, or will it take them a while to put it out? I might try to squeeze in a trip before class if it'll be there at 8.

Haven't seen this posted on GAF. Ono on the possibility of Dee Jay and T Hawk, the forgotten warriors.

Here is the text. Bolded for importance.

For the tl;dr crowd, here's the summary:
- T.Hawk and DeeJay have (incomplete) 3D models, but aren't in the game. T.Hawk even had moves made, but they didn't make the cut. No reason given.
- Top choices for console characters were Cammy and Fei (casuals) and Gen and Rose (veteran players)
- Ono wanted Rolento in, but since he's a Final Fight character (thus requiring another license) they didn't put him in.
- There will be a Winter national tournament in Japan in 2009
- If possible they'll have online qualifers, but the finals would still be held live in person.
- If the fans demand it, Ono would love to do a SF4 Dash (aka Championship Edition)
- For the debut week in Japan, PS3 SF4 was 2nd to Mario and Luigi RPG 3 on DS

Everyone's back for Street Fighter IV. Well, almost everyone. Notably missing from the cast are two Super Street Fighter II additions, Dee Jay and T.Hawk. Is there any chance of seeing these two in a future SFIV iteration?

An interview with producer Yoshinori Ono from a recent Famitsu that was posted in full today at Famitsu.com, seems to suggest a big yes.

The magazine asked Ono about the possibility of the two missing fighters following their Super compatriots Cammy and Fei Long and being updated to full 3D form. Ono's response, surprisingly, was that they already have undergone the conversion! The characters have already been developed into to pre-texturing 3D models. For T.Hawk, the developers even went so far as to come up with plans for how the character would fight in SFIV.

Ono didn't say why the two didn't make the final but all is not lost. Said Ono: "If there's demand from users, we're ready to revive them at any point."

Outside of this, there isn't much in the way of revealing info in the interview. Ono did share a few bits, though, which I've summarized below:

Famitsu asked Ono to describe how they determined which characters would make it into the home versions of SFIV. The selection process, he explained, was via a vote conducted in America. The voting was done with light users and core users kept separate. Characters like Cammy and Fei Long were in the top ranks of the light users. Rose and Gen were tops with the core users.

The interviewer mentioned here that he'd wanted to see Rolento from SF Alpha in the game. Some voters did select Rolento, Ono admitted, but he was excluded because he's a Final Fight character. Ono explained that if they put him in the game would become completely like Alpha.

Ono was surprised by the popularity of particular character in the voting: Dan. Most of his votes came from the light users.

Famitsu pressed Ono a bit for tournament info. Ono revealed that, following up on the January 18 debut tournament in Shinagawa, Capcom has more tournaments on the way. The game will be at Enterbrain's "Tougeki" summer tournament, followed by an official tournament in winter 2009.

Ono also hopes to have national online tournaments. Famitsu asked if the online support would allow for worldwide tournaments. Ono replied that this is possible, but they'd want the finals to take place offline in an event hall.

Finally, some talk about things to come for SFIV, outside of the possibilities of Dee Jay and T.Hawk. Capcom has already announced the SFIV Championship Mode update. This will be available some time in the summer, Ono said.

He added that those who stick with SFIV for a long time could see some "nice announcements." Famitsu asked if this means that players can look forward to an SFIV Dash ("Dash" is the Japanese name for Championship Edition). Ono responded: "I'd truly like to personally do this! Of course, demand from users is required. So please show your support!"

Official Media Create numbers for last week aren't out just yet, but it seems that the PS3 version of SFIV placed second, losing out to only Mario & Luigi RPG 3. That sounds like a good sign of support, so hopefully more SFIV will be on the way through characters, modes, and even a Championship edition.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm hoping best buy gets a shipment today. When do they usually get their shipments around 11am or so right?

I got the game this afternoon and have been playing in between WoW sessions. Here are some quick thoughts.

- The Madcatz controller does work better on SF4 than on SSF2 HDR. It's all in the programming I think.

- Seth is a cheap bitch.

- Guile's face is really wide. I still think a lot of the characters look really ugly.

- I love the anime cut-scenes and the intro. That intro song is SO catchy.

- I like all the references to previous games and in-jokes but, a lot of it does come off as kind of corny.

- The game rocks. It's SO much fun! I'm going to have to get some XBL time for this one.

- I hope they milk this one like they did the others in the past. :D I want Alpha and Final Fight characters in another version, a VS SNK game, and a Dark Stalkers game on this engine.

Barso

Banned
Thinking of changing my 360 preorder to PS3, this game seems to be more popular on PS3 and all the online preorders are showing the PS3 game to be ahead of 360 on the preorder charts.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah saw that on SRK.

Personally I dont want T. Hawk or Dee Jay anywhere near this game, and its frustrating that they are even being considered when there are so many better choices. Hopefully they will stay out and in the next revision we'll finally see some 3s chars represented.

edit: afaik, Best Buys nationwide should have the game out on shelves by around mid day.

No_Style

Level 8 Boss said:
Haven't seen this posted on GAF. Ono on the possibility of Dee Jay and T Hawk, the forgotten warriors.

Here is the text. Bolded for importance.

For the tl;dr crowd, here's the summary:
- T.Hawk and DeeJay have (incomplete) 3D models, but aren't in the game. T.Hawk even had moves made, but they didn't make the cut. No reason given.
- Ono wanted Rolento in, but since he's a Final Fight character (thus requiring another license) they didn't put him in.
- If the fans demand it, Ono would love to do a SF4 Dash (aka Championship Edition)

My brother was disappointed to hear that Dee Jay didn't make it across. Now I can give him hope. Rolento would have been a great choice to have in there as well. I hope the fans make it loud and clear that Capcom should do a DLC release of "Championship Edition" and a disc release. If there is a need for it...

Aeris130

Damn, hope they'll put off the Championship edition for years. Better to patch the updates and add stuff through DLC to prevent splintering the userbase, becasue there is no way in hell they're ever gonna raise this much hype for another version of the game we already bought.

Roxas

Seth is such a fucking asshole! I'm getting my ass handed to me on EASY mode. I'm such a fucking noob. El Fuerte is a cheap bastard too.

Ronabo

So I beat the game on easiest with all the characters (Except for Akuma and Gouken) and I don't have Seth. I know for sure I beat it with everyone because I have their endings unlocked. What's the problem?

edit: Hmm looks like the guide is wrong. GameFAQs to the rescue

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
How do you turn off the 'Here Comes a New Challenger' thing? I can barely get a round in on the CPU without someone interrupting the game.

Teknoman

dfyb said:
these guys are in chun li's story. they look just like they do in 3s. fuck that 'they are too young' bullshit. everybody looks the same nomatter what. there's no real timeline.

Even going by "timeline", isnt it usually just 2-3 years between World Warrior tournaments or something? Should be no reason why we cant see SF3 or other SFA people pop up in SFIV later on...unless they just didnt want to fight or something.

DaCocoBrova said:
How do you turn off the 'Here Comes a New Challenger' thing? I can barely get a round in on the CPU without someone interrupting the game.

RB or R1 at main menu.

DaCocoBrova said:

Hit R1 or RB and go to the network Profile/Status Page. Turn Off Match Request is the only way since Ranked is for rank matches, Player is for Player match. No Friend match ;( wish that was there.

EDIT: Nevermind lol.

neojubei

MGrant said:
Would Best Buy have the game at opening, or will it take them a while to put it out? I might try to squeeze in a trip before class if it'll be there at 8.

I doubt they get their shipments first thing in the morning but you should call first.

DaCocoBrova said:

You should see something that says RB Edit Status (on 360) on the "Main Menu".

neojubei

tapedeck said:
Yeah saw that on SRK.

Personally I dont want T. Hawk or Dee Jay anywhere near this game, and its frustrating that they are even being considered when there are so many better choices. Hopefully they will stay out and in the next revision we'll finally see some 3s chars represented.

edit: afaik, Best Buys nationwide should have the game out on shelves by around mid day.

Cool.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Aeris130 said:
Damn, hope they'll put off the Championship edition for years. Better to patch the updates and add stuff through DLC to prevent splintering the userbase, becasue there is no way in hell they're ever gonna raise this much hype for another version of the game we already bought.

DLC splinters the userbase more, as not everyone buys the DLC.

What I'd like to see is this though:
A dual release: disks in store, DLC to upgrade.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
crashed at a friends house... three of us played this all night last night :lol

New characters rule, Abel is the man.

Teknoman

Yeah they should do SFIV: Championship Edition via DLC and disc just like how Lost and the Damned is (that was released on disc too right?). But its still too early for all that.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Gah jebus I've lost to one genuinely "ok" player using Sagat and the other couple of times to some douchebag hoser with a shitty ping resulting in teh ubarlags.

Guled

they should use the burnout model and have SFIV: Championship Edition as free DLC, then they could continue to rape us with alts. I would be happy with that

Still don't have this. I have a preorder with Shopto that should hopefully go out today, thanks to stealing some money off the girlfriend. Whoo for weak men!

They seem to be having problems with their pads though. They don't list them any more, and in my preorder history it says they're free...I don't want the game without the pad...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Either it's the hype of getting this or my body is too adjusted to this sleep schedule but I'm up way too early for a day off. =(

Sounds like everyone is digging the game though!

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
Either it's the hype of getting this or my body is too adjusted to this sleep schedule but I'm up way too early for a day off. =(

Sounds like everyone is digging the game though!

Its the hype :lol hype for anything always makes people wake up earlier than normal.

EDIT: Its going to suck if we cant ever unlock rival themes for versus. Too good to only be heard once. A heated El Fuerte vs Zangief on the cruise stage (is that some terrorist showcase cruise ship?) with the Zangief remix playing is great to watch/play.

Kintaro

Teknoman said:
Its the hype :lol hype for anything always makes people wake up earlier than normal.

Possibly, yeah. This is when I wake up for work anyways. Blargh. Let us pray that my TE sticks somehow, someway make it into the shipment today as well.

Cheebs

Guled said:
they should use the burnout model and have SFIV: Championship Edition as free DLC, then they could continue to rape us with alts. I would be happy with that
It's Street Fighter, Capcom is no doubt going to be whoring out/re-releasing/updating/etc this game for the next 10 years.

SFIII was not all that popular outside the hardcore fighting fans yet it still got tons of re-releases/updates.

My word this game is good, and my word do I suck at it. So far I've only managed to beat Seth with Ryu and that's with the game set to easy with 1 round. :lol I've got a lot of work to do to get better at this game.

By the way, can someone explain the motion I have to make for Guile's special, I just don't understand where I'm supposed to begin that second thumb stick command.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The game is pretty nice. Some things I don't like:

- Caricature-esque art direction. It looks silly, and only sometimes looks cool (Chun-Li for example, if you totally ignore her hands). Ken and Ryu look dumb as hell. Ken with his 'Eight is Enough' bowl haircut, and deformed looking, roided out arms.

- I'm not too impressed w/ the game on a technical level. Outside of the HD/16:9 thing, I don't see how this couldn't be done on a PS2 or XBOX without too much being sacrificed. The texture work especially.

- I miss having an assortment of costume color swaps. It's strange that the only two buttons used to select your character is A or B. That's a first.

The whole thing just reminds me of EX a little more than I thought it would.

Still fun though.

Kintaro

DaCocoBrova said:
- I miss having an assortment of costume color swaps. It's strange that the only two buttons used to select your character is A or B. That's a first.

Can't help ya with the rest, but you unlock color swaps as you play through the trails/challenges/online I think. 10 different ones IIRC.

Seriously, fuck Seth. I really don't want to play SF4 because of him. I'd like to unlock some characters, but I keep getting stonewalled because of him. Even on Very Easy he's broken. He really brings the whole game down for me.

I can't really go online because my lag is terrible, so I'm pretty much stuck playing 1P until play against my friends locally.

Chorazin

Damn I suck at this game. I can't get my ultras or supers off when I need them, and I get locked into a mental state where I HAVE to get the damn thing off, so I try again and keep getting pounded on.

I also suck coming from the left side, and if you look for a match you're ALWAYS stuck on the left side. When playing as Sagat, I can whip off tiger fireballs up and down every time from the right, but when I have to throw them left it's a 50%-60% chance it won't come out.

I guess I'll just keep practicing.

Mr. Pointy said:
Seriously, fuck Seth. I really don't want to play SF4 because of him. I'd like to unlock some characters, but I keep getting stonewalled because of him. Even on Very Easy he's broken. He really brings the whole game down for me.

I can't really go online because my lag is terrible, so I'm pretty much stuck playing 1P until play against my friends locally.
I wouldn't hate him nearly as much if he didn't
teleport grab me.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DaCocoBrova said:
The game is pretty nice. Some things I don't like:

- Caricature-esque art direction. It looks silly, and only sometimes looks cool (Chun-Li for example, if you totally ignore her hands). Ken and Ryu look dumb as hell. Ken with his 'Eight is Enough' bowl haircut, and deformed looking, roided out arms.

- I'm not too impressed w/ the game on a technical level. Outside of the HD/16:9 thing, I don't see how this couldn't be done on a PS2 or XBOX without too much being sacrificed. The texture work especially.

The whole thing just reminds me of EX a little more than I thought it would.

Still fun though.

No game needs to be a marvel on a technical level,it needs to be fun, you shouldnt care about technologies.(And i would like to see SF IV in every console, even if the producer Ono says that SF IV is maxing out the 360 and PS3... that claim smells to PR)

I think that you have to unlock the other colors.

crowphoenix said:
I wouldn't hate him nearly as much if he didn't
teleport grab me.
I had less trouble with SFA3 M. Bison than this guy. I have less trouble with Yami in TvC on Normal than this guy.

Seth is easily the worst SF boss Capcom ever came up with. He's like Urien and a SF EX+@ cycloid with SNK boss syndrome.

And command grabs are just weird in this game. They have really crazy range.

GrayFoxPL

Fuck, I was waiting on news like this about Dee Jay and T.Hawk.

Please bring them in! It always felt that they should be in, but didn't make the cut.

They should've put them in at first, but most likely they were working on Cammy the whore and pointless Rose at that point.

Oh and that's the problem with putting in Final Fight characters? The licence? Is this really a problem? Did Capcom sold it to some crazy yakuza organization as a payment for gambling debt?

I 'd live without T.Hawk, but Dee Jay is fucking awesome. Best charge character hands down. Sorry Guile.

Darkman M said:
Sure it's not your router? I have played close to 300 online matches and have had a total of 3 disconnections. 3 bars or more gives me really smooth gameplay. Im playing on 360 but Psn users have said to have great experience too.

I got both versions and the ps3 version seems a whole lot better than the 360 version online. Custom searches are a whole lot quicker, and everything is just really smooth.

h3ro

This game is so damn polished. I played about six hours straight yesterday, never had the framerate take a hit at any moment and everything is absolutely gorgeous. Love the game so far. People on both consoles, install the game! No practically no load times at all...

Question about Seth. I've been able to reversal throw every character so far (put in a throw command right as you're getting grabbed by opponent) except Seth. I just can't get the timing down, his grab animation happens in just a few frames. Has anyone been able to reverse throw him? I tried Focusing his throw, that didn't work either...

Top Bottom