• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Talamius

If you guys want an easy to pick up but hard to master non-shoto, try Gief. Hopefully that'll break the Ken stranglehold online. Gief can close fast, evade projectiles and does tons of damage.

Viperbah

bdizzle said:
abel is my fav player in the game. i call him the anti-shoto. he likes to get up close and personal. if you know how to fadc and do links you can really punish someone for missing a dp, ultra, or not blocking at the right time. if you want help practicing with him send me a friend req, put gaf abel in the subject

His roll is an uber move....im thinking he will be a dominate character in tourneys and his ultra and super are really really easy to hit.

lawblob said:
I am a scrub, but after messing around last night I LOVE Balrog.

Is he noob friendly, or is there some other players a scrub like me should be learning before Balrog?
i'd say he's noob friendly

because i play him, lol

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
lawblob said:
I am a scrub, but after messing around last night I LOVE Balrog.

Is he noob friendly, or is there some other players a scrub like me should be learning before Balrog?

He's "noob friendly" in the sense that his moves don't take a whole lot of inputs to pull off... charge back, press forward, push button.

However, he's not a great character against most of the remaining cast. That said, if someone masters him, they can wreck house.

I have been playing a lot of Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix leading up to the release of SFIV, and now that it is here I feel a little overwhelmed. I am not really sure where to start, I have hit the training mode to work on pulling off come combos and moves, but beyond that I am not entirely sure what to do. Every time I play the computer, even on easiest, I usually lose.
So where do I start? I really want to get my head around Street Fighter IV(I even bought the guide!), but I don’t know where to begin. Someone show me the path to being mildly competent at Street Fighter because right now I am terrible.

rhino4evr

I beat Seth with Blanka on Medium last night, it was really close. I felt really good about my skills, and then I went online where regular strangers made me feel like a complete noob. I need more practice, it would be nice to actually WIN a game online. Current record 0-7

joker27

Neo Member
snack said:
I have been playing a lot of Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix leading up to the release of SFIV, and now that it is here I feel a little overwhelmed. I am not really sure where to start, I have hit the training mode to work on pulling off come combos and moves, but beyond that I am not entirely sure what to do. Every time I play the computer, even on easiest, I usually lose.
So where do I start? I really want to get my head around Street Fighter IV(I even bought the guide!), but I don’t know where to begin. Someone show me the path to being mildly competent at Street Fighter because right now I am terrible.
the best thing to do is keep playin the computer and learn each characters move set. it makes a BIG difference when you know what to expect regardless if its the computer or a person playing you. you will be fine, just put some work in

Talamius

bah321 said:
His roll is an uber move....im thinking he will be a dominate character in tourneys and his ultra and super are really really easy to hit.

That EX throw is pretty brutal and he can tick like nobody's business. Check youtube for the FFA tourney and watch Combofiend's Abel. He chains that combo over and over and over and over...

NameGenerated said:
Focus Attack>>Crumple>>Abel's Ultra is sex.

Focus, crumple, dash, cr.mp, mp cod, fadc, cr.fp (launch) ultra makes me fap furiously. i did that to someone online yesterday while on mic and could hear his boys in the background screaming "oh shit you got fucked up man!" lol

Spasm

I had little to no problem beating Seth with Gief, Ryu, and Sakura... But it took me 67 tries to beat him with Dan. Fuck Seth. To top it off, Dan doesn't unlock shit. Fuck Dan.
I'm still using him as my main scroto, though.

Viperbah

snack said:

Worst thing i see is that people are spamming specials over and over and over....learn basic moves first and how to counter with throws. Also stick with one character and master him/her then move to the next. It doesnt take long to be decent but takes forever to be great.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Talamius said:
If you guys want an easy to pick up but hard to master non-shoto, try Gief. Hopefully that'll break the Ken stranglehold online. Gief can close fast, evade projectiles and does tons of damage.
The Red Cyclone is great:
-Lariat:Avoid projectiles,advance and attack!
-'Green hand': negate projectiles ,advance and attack!
-Piledriver: (you get close using Lariats and 'Green hands') Super powerful grapple.
-Hes air attacks like Fierce Punch have a nice priority.
And of course he wrestles with bears !!!!

Can someone test if Zangief has his Forward + Fierce Punch headbutt hop?

Im loving the game!!! Really great fun and the focus attack system is just as fun as the parry system. Only gripe i have is that the animation is too snappy sometimes, but im used to it now.

I heart Rufus!

Jaruru

rhino4evr said:
I beat Seth with Blanka on Medium last night, it was really close. I felt really good about my skills, and then I went online where regular strangers made me feel like a complete noob. I need more practice, it would be nice to actually WIN a game online. Current record 0-7

was playing as Chun-Li last nite. was killed by the 3rd stage in medium level -_- pretty bad
but managed to won a few games online. some online players are quite skillful. some are just trying out their buttons ...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
rhino4evr said:
That's my biggest gripe with this game, I think... Blanka looks totally retarded now. His stature is puny and his rigid, perfectly straight spiky hair makes it looks like he has quills or something.

NameGenerated said:
Focus Attack>>Crumple>>Abel's Ultra is sex.
what's a crumple?

And when Blanka is going all shocky shocky...what moves bust him out of it that aren't long range fireballs?

Abel is my official "main" and when Blanka is being the electro-douche, I'm not sure what to do to him.

I seem to remember there were a few attacks from the SNES days that busted him out of it.

Any tips?

Blueblur1

Shig said:
That's my biggest gripe with this game, I think... Blanka looks totally retarded now. His stature is puny and his rigid, perfectly straight spiky hair makes it looks like he has quills or something.
The Blanka = Sonic jokes I make with my friends are more relevant than ever. :lol

ShinAmano

Shig said:
I am in agreement here...

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Shig said:

Nevermind the fact that his new voice is clearly StrongBad. I'm expecting him to start singing about Trogdor when I get to his ending.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shig said:

Well, he always looked retarded. But yeah, a new level of awful in SF4.

Barrett2

Shig said:

Uh oh, next we'll be hearing about Blanka's shitty friends.

I got my copy this morning. FINALLY.

They have a lot of copies left at the Gamestop on 34th and Broadway in NYC, although every other employee suspiciously asked me if I reserved. When I said no, they'd look around all shifty-eyed and act like they were selling me something illegal.

Barrett2

whatdidyousay said:
I got my copy this morning. FINALLY.

They have a lot of copies left at the Gamestop on 34th and Broadway in NYC, although every other employee suspiciously asked me if I reserved. When I said no, they'd look around all shifty-eyed and act like they were selling me something illegal.

Same thing happened to me last night at GS. When I told the girl I wanted Street Fighter, she honestly asked her manager if she could sell it to me, like it was fucking cocaine or something. God I hate that place, it pains me I had to get SF4 there...

RubxQub said:
I wish there was some kind of good explanation of when and why I'd want to do this.

It sounds like mid-supermove I cancel out of it and continue the beatdown combo style?

Like I could do a super and mid-super turn it into an ultra?

That sound right?

you use it to make combos longer (among other things). here's an simple example with ryu.

3 hit combo
j fk, cr. mk, hadoken

3 hit combo w/ FADC
j fk, cr. mk, hadoken, FADC, shoryuken

j fk, cr. mk, hadoken, FADC, cr. mk, hadoken

j fk, cr. mk, hadoken, FADC, cr. fp, shoryken, FADC, ultra

j fk, cr. mk, hadoken, FADC, f. fp, cr. fp, shoryken, FADC, ultra

it's very versatile and in the right hands it's fucking deadly.

scissorfight said:
this game kicks ass. i have no complaints other than i think the ultra meter fills a bit too quick.

once you lose 1/2 your energy it's filled, the more damage you take the more it's filled, and the more powerful the attack gets. that's why it's called the revenge meter. you can easily turn a match around with a very late ultra.

WaltJay

I played about 7 matches last night, and when I'm hosting, there is no lag whatsoever. However, I couldn't find a match and connect to it to save my life. Basically, if I wanted to play a match, I had to host and wait for someone to join me. I kept searching for a ranked match, and everyone I picked said "Unable to connect" or "Already in a match". It also doesn't help that it shows only 3 people per search. I really hope these issues get sorted out; all I wanted to do is fight online!

Aside from the online connection issues, the game is a lot of fun. All of the moves/tactics came back to me like it was second nature. I'm also a lot better using the 360 controller than I thought I'd be, which I'm forced to use until my Akuma controlpad comes in from Amazon. :D

YakiSOBA

Yo, I just lined up at a local ebgames and I was the first one at the cash register asking for SF4.. (it comes out today in Canada).. the dude says "we won't have the game until 1-2pm and only preorders will get it, no copies for public and ebgames will have the game first everywhere in town" -- wtf is this shit, then I went to futureshop and took one right off the shelves (they had sooo many copies) and that's the end of that.

Is ebgames lying to customers just to scare people to get THEIR preorders to increase sales? :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
YakiSOBA said:
Yo, I just lined up at a local ebgames and I was the first one at the cash register asking for SF4.. (it comes out today in Canada).. the dude says "we won't have the game until 1-2pm and only preorders will get it, no copies for public and ebgames will have the game first everywhere in town" -- wtf is this shit, then I went to futureshop and took one right off the shelves (they had sooo many copies) and that's the end of that.

Is ebgames lying to customers just to scare people to get THEIR preorders to increase sales? :lol

You guys must run into some shitty ass GameStops. My store happily sells the extra copies we get with a smile on our face. However, we DO hold pre-ordered copies for a day or two unless it's a massive seller like Halo or something. Afterall, that was the point of pre-ordering. It's policy. So...yeah. Don't know what to tell ya. If those stores just had a ton of pre-orders or just being douchey. No clue. =/

neojubei said:
Anyone know if bestbuy has the game yet?
Well, if it's the same as mine, they do, but they wont put it out on shelfs for another day or two. I usually have to ask them to go check if the game came out that day.

Dave Long

Banned
FYI, for those not getting matches online, just play the single player mode with Ranked joining turned on. Last night, I could barely start a fight and a new challenger was appearing.

For the few moments that someone didn't join, I was working on my C. Viper.

If they have it at 34th and B'way, I'll hit that up pronto.

I know J&R will have it after 12PM today too, so I can get it there if GS doesn't pan out.
Any way I can get the Limited Edition on PS3 though? I want the bluray :(

Flib

captmcblack said:
If they have it at 34th and B'way, I'll hit that up pronto.

I know J&R will have it after 12PM today too, so I can get it there if GS doesn't pan out.
Any way I can get the Limited Edition on PS3 though? I want the bluray :(

Yeah, I'm going to pick it up at J&R today too

I'm still trying to figure out if I should get this for PS3 or 360 (I'm not buying a fightpad so I'm leaning towards PS3 at this point).

Zapages

ZeroCypher said:
Best Buy has the game but they told me they wouldn't release it until 2pm

Which is complete BS IMHO.... I mean if you pre-order the game then you should receive the game as it is...

ZeroCypher said:
Anyone watch the anime that came with the CE yet? Is it any good?
I watched a bit of it. It's ok. It's takes a while to get to the action, and I'm not all that fond of the animation. Still, it's enjoyable enough.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Kintaro said:
You guys must run into some shitty ass GameStops. My store happily sells the extra copies we get with a smile on our face.
I think you need to consider the possibility that your Gamestop is the exception to the rule, not the other way around. Gamestops have tried that crap on me many times.

WaltJay

Dave Long said:
FYI, for those not getting matches online, just play the single player mode with Ranked joining turned on. Last night, I could barely start a fight and a new challenger was appearing.

For the few moments that someone didn't join, I was working on my C. Viper.

Thanks for the tip; I'm going to try that tonight. I was wondering how people were getting so many battlepoints and the game just came out. I think the guy #1 on the leaderboard was 4+ million BPs. :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Captain N said:
I was having a good night...thanks for bringin' it up...Since you asked I have 5 wins.
It says on my stats that I only played 55 matches
Matches • 55
Wins • 5
Longest win streak • 2
I am hoping for 10 wins by March
Matches • 69
Wins • 10
Longest win streak • 1

Woo! Feels good to be better than someone. :D
Seriously though, I feel you. Fuck, my thumb. Christ, my thumb.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
xt04 said:
I dont think I'm being sensitive.

Im also not knocking you for your opinion. I was more saying that I dont see where its technically lacking. I guess im trying to get a grasp on what you felt should have been in that wasnt? More lighting effects? Better textures? Just trying to understand your point of view better.

I remember thinking to myself last night while playing... If the SF crazed younger me was shown SFIV, I don't think I'd be all that impressed. I guess I would from a technical stand point with it being in 3D and all... But the art. Ugh.

Top Bottom