• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

chaoticprout said:
My copy comes in tomorrow still >< How is Gouken?

That supposed to be dead son-of-a-bitch Gouken took my main man Ryu's Shin-shoryuken!!

LICK MY ASS, CAPCOM!!! LICK IT GOOD AND THOROUGH!!

*Plans to go back to play SF4 for several more hours*

How the FUCK are you supposed to beat Seth with El Fuerte?

This shit makes me want to return the game. For all the improvements, the A.I. still records what buttons you press and then reacts before your move goes through. Unreal.

And BTW, throws/grabs in this game can suck my balls. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of a move, and then all of a sudden the game kicks into a canned animation where the other character has grabbed me. What the fuck? It doesn't even show how they got me, just jumps straight into it. Number 1 problem with the game right now and its killing a ton of the fun against the AI.

Darkman M

chaoticprout said:
My copy comes in tomorrow still >< How is Gouken?

He doesn't play anything like a shota at all, has some very powerful moves but lacks a good anti air and doesn't have great speed so he's pretty balanced from what ive seen. You don't see alot of him online yet though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I didn't notice if anyone asked about this earlier, but does anyone have some insight into the timing needed on Sakura's final combo in her 4th normal Trial? You're supposed to go Jump Heavy Kick -> Heavy Punch -> Shouoken -> Haru Ichiban, and I cannot get the Haru Ichiban to connect to save my life. I've tried it in various points of Dan's fall, but it always whiffs right through him. Should I be trying to cancel out of the Shouoken and not letting her leave the ground?

Edit: Yes, I should, as I just did it. Wow, do I want a "Demo Combo" option in this mode. :/

Alivor

Raxus said:
Do it as a recovery or practice doing your circles with the regular red cyclone.
Sweet! I'll try this out. I think I can pull of the red cyclone normally, I guess I still need to practice more.

Raxus

snack said:
Whats a good starter character?
Ryu, Zangief, E.Honda most characters have pretty universal moves.

Avoid Gen, Abel, and NEVER EVER play fuerte without getting a feel for the gameplay.

CartridgeBlower said:

This shit makes me want to return the game. For all the improvements, the A.I. still records what buttons you press and then reacts before your move goes through. Unreal.

It's a little tough, but if you do his run into throw as Seth gets up, I found you can just cycle his ass to death.

And btw, even if the AI is recording your button inputs, there are ways around it. For instance if you knock the AI down and you go for low forward, hadouken, just fake out the AI by doing it early or not hitting the forward. Then the AI will EX SRK or something and you can punish when they come down.

I got gouken finally.

1 perfect, 3 ultras but only after you've seen akumas ending.

Also, my DPs are trading alot or *gasp* even losing out, any advice?

Raxus

CartridgeBlower said:

Took me like 50 tries to beat seth with Fuerte... on easiest. Needless to say when I go and do it on medium I am going to learn some Fuerte combos.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
Man, I'm like a punching bag against the shotos w/ Fuerte. Doesn't help that my defense sucks anyway, but man you have to work hard with this guy to get close to winning. Then bam, an EX SRK ruins whatever I can do to finish them off.

Yeah you've really gotta fake em out with him. Dont underestimate the power of EX habanero dashes or close rush high-low combos.

Okay I hate to ask this question, but is there anything holding the ps3 version back from the 360 version? I dont have xbl gold and I'm not going to buy the game if the ps3 version has any major problems.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Okay I hate to ask this question, but is there anything holding the ps3 version back from the 360 version? I dont have xbl gold and I'm not going to buy the game if the ps3 version has any major problems.

virtually identical from everything I've heard

FUCK THESE GRABS OFF THE FLOOR!!!

It's impossible to guard against them when the game has already picked me up before I can even recover. Can't stand this shit.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm starting to like the way guile plays in this game -- mixing up flashkicks and normals for your antiair needs is good fun, and the fact that his flashkick isn't the wall it was in sf2 encourages a lot of opponents to jump in more than they should. and if i can figure out the timing to land his crossump jumping lk and combo off it i think i'll have some good mixups off knockdown or jab boom. if -- it doesn't seem like a very useful move

WHOAguitarninja said:

no aa, resolution drops during ultras and other closeups -- haven't opened my ps3 copy yet, so i don't know how perceptible any of this is. but really it's street fighter, and you stop seeing the graphics when you're in a good fight

Arde5643

Raxus said:
Ryu, Zangief, E.Honda most characters have pretty universal moves.

Avoid Gen, Abel, and NEVER EVER play fuerte without getting a feel for the gameplay.
Fuerte's a really different character compared to rest of the cast though - so even playing the rest of the cast doesn't exactly help you start Fuerte.

Really, one of the best ways to start some Fuerte strat is watching some of the high-level play vids so that you can start putting some of their advanced bait n switch game into your tactics.

If they patch the game...it would be nice if they give Ken back his kick super and save the shinryuken for his ultra (or swap it for the shoryureppa).

Guile could be given the rush super as his normal super or the wicked sonic boom.

Also, I just paged through the strategy guide. It's a decent guide...not as comprehensive as the Gamepro Hyperfighting or Versus A2 guides (both by the same author, Slasherquan)...

Didn't like the artwork section. Also it didn't include all of the requirements to unlock all of the colors and personal actions.

I think he should've gotten input from SRK or gone to a Cali arcade after he did his character write ups.

He also has Fei Long, Seth, Rose ranked pretty high...especially considering they were unplayable in the arcade.

Cynar

Felix Lighter said:
Does anybody else get the "Unable to Play" message constantly? 360 version

when searching for ranked matches? yes, I find it easier to just play arcade mode and let people challenge me

i must comment on something:

the in game trash talk during rivals matches is awesome!!!

and some of the post win fight lines are hilarious! :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow. Yesterday, Seth was completely fucking destroying me Round 2 and up. On Easy.
I just decided to tackle Medium and I steam-rolled him.

He wasn't doing any of the ridiculous warps and grabs and shit that he was on earlier. Lucky, I guess.

Cynar said:
when searching for ranked matches? yes, I find it easier to just play arcade mode and let people challenge me

I'll have to go ahead and do that. Can I restrict it to players of similar skill?

Edit: Yup just saw the filter settings.

I think I'll take care of the challenges before I play with a character in arcade mode.

Okay, HOW THE FUCK do I perform Ryu's CROUCH HEAVY PUNCH -> SHORYUKEN? This is fucking impossible.

Arde5643

Kintaro said:
Man, I'm like a punching bag against the shotos w/ Fuerte. Doesn't help that my defense sucks anyway, but man you have to work hard with this guy to get close to winning. Then bam, an EX SRK ruins whatever I can do to finish them off.
Don't use too many forward Habanero dashes other than for baiting/intimidation or to keep distance (not too far where you can't punish random fireballs). Have fun with forwards on wake-up mix-ups though, just don't be too obvious with splashes. :D

If you can predict or have pretty good reaction to random fireballs, back habanero run throw can punish really well.
Of course, the distance matters since you mustn't be too far where you can't reach and not too close where you can't react fast enough.

If they jump in towards you, EX Guacamole (DP+KKK) can punish really well, or back habanero run and throw also works pretty well since they usually can't recover in time after landing (don't do this on cross-ups though). :p

Other than that, his habanero back run wall-jump can be controlled where you can land either on the middle or 3/4 of the screen. You can use the middle landing to bait and the 3/4 landing to punish.

FA back dash cancel is also good to use for scrotos on wake-up since they'll try to mash reversal DPs.

Zeliard

U K Narayan said:
I think I'll take care of the challenges before I play with a character in arcade mode.

Okay, HOW THE FUCK do I perform Ryu's CROUCH HEAVY PUNCH -> SHORYUKEN? This is fucking impossible.

You have to do it fast.

They get a lot crazier than that. Some of the challenges on hard are damn near impossible without a stick.

U K Narayan said:

I do:

DF+P, DF+P

because DF,DF+P is a shortcut for SRK

Evlar

Banned
EraldoCoil said:
i must comment on something:

the in game trash talk during rivals matches is awesome!!!

and some of the post win fight lines are hilarious! :lol
I notice it lets you select your post-win line (or keep it Random) but the lines are just numbered. Is there any easy way to hear which line goes with which number other than the obvious method of playing and winning a couple hundred matches?

U K Narayan said:

When you do the Shoryuken move, try pressing forward, down+HP, down/forward+HP to complete the Shoryuken.

Instead of trying to do a crouching+HP and then the shoryuken presses, you do it all in one set of motion presses.

Heh, that combo is one of my heavily abused set against the computer, I like just walking up to many of them using that combo as they are getting up, looks kind of like a neat double hitting Shoryuken from Ryu.

Can someone tell me EXACTLY how the fuck you unlock gouken? Explain it to me like I'm retarded...

I've played through the game like 10 fucking times now trying to do it, and I've fought him and whooped his sorry old ass, but he's never unlocked.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Mejilan said:
Wow. Yesterday, Seth was completely fucking destroying me Round 2 and up. On Easy.
I just decided to tackle Medium and I steam-rolled him.

He wasn't doing any of the ridiculous warps and grabs and shit that he was on earlier. Lucky, I guess.

It all depends on him doing wtfever he wants to do. At work were trying to get all the characters ASAP so we set it on easiest and one round matches, so were breezing trough most seth fights, except when he gets a bug up his ass and decides to completely whoop the living shit out of us for one round, like, not even fucking around.

For some of the quick moves on challenge mode, the KEY to do them is to input the command quickly, DO NOT worry about how the character looks on screen as far as the timing, as soon as you enter one command input the next and you should be fine.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Can someone tell me EXACTLY how the fuck you unlock gouken? Explain it to me like I'm retarded...

I've played through the game like 10 fucking times now trying to do it, and I've fought him and whooped his sorry old ass, but he's never unlocked.

Shoryuken.com

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I get a "database error" when I try to go there...
I was in the same situation.

I beat the game like 50 times getting tons of perfects and ultimates and I could never fight him again for some reason.

Did it again with Ryu and got 3 perfects, 3 ultimates and fought Gouken again.

Make sure you minimally have unlocked everyone and beat the game with Akuma if you haven't already.

Top Bottom