• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

I don't like how you can't back out of picking a character. Online you get a bunch of cheesers who wait for you to pick, then counter. It would be good if like in NBA Live 09 (yes, Live 09), when someone changes teams/characters, you get to choose again, so both players can veto. I'm so sick of picking El Fuerte, and then having the other guy quickly go to Ken or Ryu and hitting start. Hopefully something like this gets fixed in a patch.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think I won 16 out of 63 matches or something. All with El Fuerte. :lol I will not give up on this guy.

Plus, I need to learn how to play a bit more controlled. I get frustrated and I'm all over the place on my arcade stick. =(

CartridgeBlower said:
I don't like how you can't back out of picking a character. Online you get a bunch of cheesers who wait for you to pick, then counter. It would be good if like in NBA Live 09 (yes, Live 09), when someone changes teams/characters, you get to choose again, so both players can veto. I'm so sick of picking El Fuerte, and then having the other guy quickly go to Ken or Ryu and hitting start. Hopefully something like this gets fixed in a patch.

They were going to pick them anyway. :lol

ElyrionX

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Can someone tell me EXACTLY how the fuck you unlock gouken? Explain it to me like I'm retarded...

I've played through the game like 10 fucking times now trying to do it, and I've fought him and whooped his sorry old ass, but he's never unlocked.

You need to have unlocked all six of the other unlockable characters and Akuma (excluding Seth) and need to have completed the game with Akuma first. Then you need to go through the game again earning at least one perfect and two ultra finishes without continuing a single time. This applies for the Easiest setting with number of rounds set to one.

Kintaro said:
I think I won 16 out of 63 matches or something. All with El Fuerte. :lol I will not give up on this guy.

Plus, I need to learn how to play a bit more controlled. I get frustrated and I'm all over the place on my arcade stick. =(

Sound like me :lol

I'm trying to learn to play with Rufus but when I go online everything I learned went out the window.

DiddyBop

Ballistictiger said:
I freaking hate fighting Zangief.
truth,his and his fucking grabs. really loving the online though. ive only been fighting ryus,kens, and akumas though. still fun regardless. anyone else addicted to trying to pull off ultras ftw as i am?:lol

jmonteiro

Raxus said:
Zangief is amazing in this game. RIDICULOUS priority. He is ranked up with Ryu on the tier list.

Do you know where can I find those rankings? I want to choose a character to play with but I'm not sure which one...

RubxQub said:
I was in the same situation.

I beat the game like 50 times getting tons of perfects and ultimates and I could never fight him again for some reason.

Did it again with Ryu and got 3 perfects, 3 ultimates and fought Gouken again.

Make sure you minimally have unlocked everyone and beat the game with Akuma if you haven't already.

Done all that already, I gave up and started playing ranked games. I destroyed people with honda, got my 3, 5, and 10 win in a row achievements!

The Gouken shit is bugging the FUCK outta me though.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Im pretty sure you have to kill Gouken with an Ultra..its the only way I got it to work.

and guys dont worry about rankings for this game.. its really balanced..

Raxus

I wish the new comers were more beginner friendly. In essence they look fun to play but getting them down is a chore. Abel is maybe the easiest to learn but getting his air throw down will probably be a pain.

Raxus

haunts said:
Im pretty sure you have to kill Gouken with an Ultra..its the only way I got it to work.
I did the same thing but I didn't know if that is what unlocked him. I am just used to finishing with ultras :p.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
jmonteiro said:
Do you know where can I find those rankings? I want to choose a character to play with but I'm not sure which one...

the "rankings" will change over time, and they mean little to non-tournament level players.

my advice: buy the game and play Random characters until you find one you like

Ronabo

I just cracked over 1000 Battle Points. drone has the most on my friends list @ around 1200 IIRC.

I sure love Shotofighter Fo.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This has probably been answered a million times before but when does akuma appear? I unlocked all chars except akuma, gouken, and seth. So isnt he supposed to show up in arcade mode now? I did a couple run throughs with multiple perfects and ultras and he didnt show? It was on easy difficulty though...does that matter? Im guessing its just random if he appear, even when you get the perfects and ultra finishes?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<goes to watch Tetsu's videos>

This dude gets SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more props from me now that I have to the game and trying to learn this character.

I just played against a guy who picked Akuma and only did air fireballs and teleportation to the other side when I got close.

I have no idea how to counter that type of cheese with El Fuerte.

Just got the game tonight. First impressions are good. I was a big SF2 arcade and SNES fan back in the day, but didn't follow the series after championship edition. Haven't gone online yet, I need to practice more. Rufus is giving me trouble in arcade mode. :lol I kick his ass and he busts out a special combo chain and owns me. :lol

Raxus

Here is the last tier list for the arcades!!!!!!!!!! Do not let these influence your decisions to pick a character in any way they are the results of top level players going against top level players. If you get good with ANY character even someone in the lowest tier as Vega you can still wipe the floor with 90% of the competition. The of characters for the console release are not included so take the lists with a huge grain of salt.

SFIV is going to take some getting used to as the timing is completely different from SSF2T. Not a bad thing mind you, just a fact for myself. Some of Chun-Li's kicks are changed up a bit, so I have to get used to that. The weight of the characters is the real major change that I notice, makes everything a little bit slower.

I am very much looking forward to dumping many hours into this to learn and master. I love the art and music too.

Linkhero1

Ballistictiger said:
I freaking hate fighting Zangief.
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
Yes, I really hate Zangief

I hate him too.

Alivor

kenta said:
Do you have to unlock Seth before you can unlock Gouken?
Well to unlock Seth, I think you have to beat the game with everyone (including Gouken).
I know you have to unlock Akuma to get Gouken, but I got 2 perfects and 3 ultra finishes and no continues while playing as Akuma and Gouken didn't show up at the end.

vertopci

jmonteiro said:

Don't play based on some stupid ass tier list man :/

Just play whichever flows the best for you :/

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Linkhero1 said:
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief

I hate him too.
3rded

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Raxus said:
Here is the last tier list for the arcades!!!!!!!!!! Do not let these influence your decisions to pick a character in any way they are the results of top level players going against top level players. If you get good with ANY character even someone in the lowest tier as Vega you can still wipe the floor with 90% of the competition. The of characters for the console release are not included so take the lists with a huge grain of salt.

That tier list is a bullshit tier list from a bunch of bullshit posters on 2ch. And EventHubs is a bullshit site that basically plucked that info from SRK and ran with it.

The "official" -- using that term loosely because this is done by Arcadia Tougeki Spirits and NOT 2ch (and therefore more credible) is this:

S+
Sagat, C.Viper, Akuma, Zangief

S
Ryu, Boxer, Rufus, Blanka

A
Chun, Dictator, Ken, Dhalsim, Abel, Honda, Furete

B
Claw, Guile

THAT is the current and IMO most reliable tier list, not done by random forum posters. God, I would hate to see a GAF tier list for this game.

Raxus

Linkhero1 said:
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief
I really hate Zangief

I hate him too.
zangief_thumb.jpg

haunts

Bacon of Hope
PRO TIP: If Zangief hits you or you block his Green Hand you can throw him! EX Version knocks down but even when you block it you can throw him!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
OMG!

Guile's AI(vs Abel) is retarted, all he does is Focus attack all my fierces Right on cue. High Grade Bullshit!

Fighting game AI alway seems like you're controlling two characters at once.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Anyone on the 360 version get a ton of "Room is full, try another" stuff when you're looking for quick matches?

It seems like 1 out of 50 games is actually joinable, but there they are, showing up in my little search.

Is this me or everyone seeing this?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Just finished my first full night of Live ranked SF4. So far, it's lag free. The only issue is (and I'm trying to not be an ass) competition. Do you guys think that most people have just never played street fighter before? I won 30 and loss 3, but I was using the same combination of moves as I did in SF2. Could it be the controller (I happen to be using it to) that's taking getting used to? Great game overall, though! Also, why are 9/10 people picking Ken? :lol

Edited for English.

almost got all the characters unlocked on 360, pretty soon i gotta unlock them on the PS3 version!!! and i don't mind it :D

My Rhythm......it's starting to come back!!!!!!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Oichi said:
That tier list is a bullshit tier list from a bunch of bullshit posters on 2ch. And EventHubs is a bullshit site that basically plucked that info from SRK and ran with it.

Yeah they ripped my makoto faq from SRK. :(

LowParry

RubxQub said:
Anyone on the 360 version get a ton of "Room is full, try another" stuff when you're looking for quick matches?

It seems like 1 out of 50 games is actually joinable, but there they are, showing up in my little search.

Is this me or everyone seeing this?

It happens. Best way around it, turn on the arcade jump in option or whatever and let matches come to you. Ranked or Player. Makes it so much easier.

Raxus

~Devil Trigger~ said:
OMG!

Guile's AI(vs Abel) is retarted, all he does is Focus attack all my fierces Right on cue. High Grade Bullshit!

Fighting game AI alway seems like you're controlling two characters at once.
Use EX or just throw him.

Router said:
Game needs blind character screen like HRD.

I'm suprised its not been implimented but as that was added by Sirlin I guess the Japanese players are more honest and pick who they want to use. So the Capcom Japan didnt think to include it.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Why is it so very hard to play against people that are so very bad.
Its like I freeze up when faced with stupidity.

Got to about 7 wins in a row but before that I lost to possible the worst ken I've ever seen.

when I look at player record, is that recording unranked matches as well? Because I have a 61% win percentage but for ranked I think that should be a lot higher. Most of my losses have come from gaf people I play.

Not having blind character select is killing some of the fun. I never get people who jump online and just cheese. What the fuck is the point? It literally blows my mind.

Top Bottom