• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Xater said:
2 Questions:

How does the Fake Kick from Sagat work? The description kinda sucks.

yea, that fucking pissed me off for a while too.
All you gotta do is press Heavy Kick SUPER SUPER SUPER fast while in standing position :lol

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Can someone explain to me, in super simple terms, why I would want to dash cancel a Focus Attack?

To back away from a double hit or EX move?

I'm using Focus Attacks with great success currently (hardly anyone online is thus far) but would like to up my game considerably. I just don't understand why I'd cancel it :3

McBradders said:
Can someone explain to me, in super simple terms, why I would want to dash cancel a Focus Attack?

To back away from a double hit or EX move?

I'm using Focus Attacks with great success currently (hardly anyone online is thus far) but would like to up my game considerably. I just don't understand why I'd cancel it :3

Multiple reasons. Like you said, you could use it to fake someone out and bait them into a punishable attack, or you could use it to quickly absorb projectiles. The other uses are more advanced; if you use it just as you hit the attack, you'll have more time to pull of a good follow up.

This can be quite tricky, but it you use the focus attack in the middle of any other standing attack, you'll cancel that attack (using up 2 bars of super) and then you can cancel the focus with a dash. This means you'll be able to combo together moves that you usually wouldn't be able to (such as ultras). A good example of this is Ryu canceling his shoryuken just after he has hit with it, allowing him to juggle with his ultra while his opponent is still airborne from the canceled shoryuken

Does that make sense?

RyoHazuki

SF 4 noob here. Has anyone been able to do MK -> Light Yoga Flame in the trial mode? I'm using a regular PS3 dpad and it seems impossible....

spoon!

JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE NEED TO INSTALL THEIR FREAKING GAMES I HATE WAITING SO LONG FOR THE MATCH TO START

having said that

game is glorious.

netcode is awesome on this mutha.

The whole thing where you can get interrupted in arcade mode to play online matches is genius. It's like the best lobby ever, hehe. I wish SC4 had that (and the sweet netcode). Hopefully Tekken 6 has it (and all future fighting games).

McBradders

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
Multiple reasons. Like you said, you could use it to fake someone out and bait them into a punishable attack, or you could use it to quickly absorb projectiles. The other uses are more advanced; if you use it just as you hit the attack, you'll have more time to pull of a good follow up.

This can be quite tricky, but it you use the focus attack in the middle of any other standing attack, you'll cancel that attack (using up 2 bars of super) and then you can cancel the focus with a dash. This means you'll be able to combo together moves that you usually wouldn't be able to (such as ultras). A good example of this is Ryu canceling his shoryuken just after he has hit with it, allowing him to juggle with his ultra while his opponent is still airborne from the canceled shoryuken

Does that make sense?

Perfect sense, thank you. I'll see you in 18 months when I can pull it of reliably :lol

Barrett2

I seem to have trouble pulling off Ryu's Ultra consistently. I think I might be overdoing it with the d-pad movement, or maybe not enough... I don't know. Any suggestions?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Alright, which version should I go with – X360 or PS3? Someone said to me that the PS3 has a lower framerate than the X360, is that true?

dfyb

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Alright, which version should I go with – X360 or PS3? Someone said to me that the PS3 has a lower framerate than the X360, is that true?
no, it's not true.
Xater said:
Is there a trick to the super combo motion for Zangief? I can't pull it of....
trick?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Haha, I just checked out the Beauty Pack briefly in some player matches and already got some "OMG OMG WHERE DID U GET THAT?!?!?!!?!?1111" messages. I bet this is the only unlock-key pack that's gonna do that. :lol

ItsInMyVeins said:

Absolutely not. It does seem to be true that the PS3 version's resolution drops during ultras, but you wouldn't notice unless you were really looking. I have found that online play is generally smoother on 360. This is usually the case for me on Live versus PSN.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Not sure about that, but the PS3 version has no AA, while the 360 version does.

MIMIC

Banned
How do you perform Chun-Li's rising kick special movie? I've seen people use it in various videos but it's not listed in the user manual.

Oliver.S

ItsInMyVeins said:
Do you play with the normal controller? If so - PS3.

Lyte Edge said:
Absolutely not. It does seem to be true that the PS3 version's resolution drops during ultras, but you wouldn't notice unless you were really looking. I have found that online play is generally smoother on 360. This is usually the case for me on Live versus PSN.

:lol wtf? no, you wouldn't notice it even if you were "really looking" whatever that means.

7 hours, 36 minutes, and 1334 BP later and I am very happy. The online is decent, I'm loving all the little titles and icons you collect over time, stealing the BP system from the arcade was a good move.

I can't wait to get some GAF tournaments going. Shame there's no spectator/lobbies yet (ever?), but I can deal.

Pezking

Lyte Edge said:
Haha, I just checked out the Beauty Pack briefly in some player matches and already got some "OMG OMG WHERE DID U GET THAT?!?!?!!?!?1111" messages. I bet this is the only unlock-key pack that's gonna do that. :lol

Is the japanese Beauty Pack compatible with the european version of the Game (PS3)?

Does anybody know where I can get the HRAP EX from? I am in the UK and I can only get it for about £150+, Play-Asia has it for £106 but with £50 shipping... Amazon US won't ship to the UK, and on Ebay they are £160. I would be willing to go up to about £125.

Momar

aka Ryder
Ryder said:
Bah, there's gotta be something I'm missing. Online is freaking broken on my 360. First of all, the only way for me to join a match is through creating my own match. Second of all, even when I do that, when a person joins, I just get the flashing antenna logo, so I have no freaking clue what's going on. Something is wrong with my connection/router, because I'm also getting a ton of laggy games. Help?

No help for me? :*(

Also, holy crap, I thought I was a decent SF2 player, did alright in HDR, but holy shit shit shit do I suck at this game. I'm getting steam rolled online. Granted, my old main (Fei Long) feels just wrong in 4, so I'm trying out Abel. Guess I just need to practice more!

McBradders

Ryder said:
No help for me? :*(

Also, holy crap, I thought I was a decent SF2 player, did alright in HDR, but holy shit shit shit do I suck at this game. I'm getting steam rolled online. Granted, my old main (Fei Long) feels just wrong in 4, so I'm trying out Abel. Guess I just need to practice more!

You have a restricted NAT. I'm having similar issues, however I am waiting to see if this is still the case when it hits retail in Europe.

If you're in the States then see if you can lower the restrictions on your NAT settings. When I play with my friends in the states, we have 2-3 bars and our matches are perfect.

Momar

aka Ryder
McBradders said:
You have a restricted NAT. I'm having similar issues, however I am waiting to see if this is still the case when it hits retail in Europe.

If you're in the States then see if you can lower the restrictions on your NAT settings. When I play with my friends in the states, we have 2-3 bars and our matches are perfect.

Hmm... I'm guessing I can change this setting somewhere in my router? While quick matches worked beautifully in HDR, I did notice that when I manually searched for matches, it'd bring up like 1-2, if any. Dunno if it's the same problem. Either way, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

edit: Blech, stupid Belkin router setup page blows chunks. Every time I try to connect to it I get "Connect Interrupted: Page Cannot Be Loaded..." etc. from Firefox. I need to yell at my roommate :-(

Teknopathetic said:
Of course she's "nerfed," she was retardedly good in 3s.

Sagat was the best in cvs2 and he's the best yet again in this one. I wish he had gotten nerfed instead. I like playing as him once in a while but still.

McBradders

Ryder said:
Hmm... I'm guessing I can change this setting somewhere in my router? While quick matches worked beautifully in HDR, I did notice that when I manually searched for matches, it'd bring up like 1-2, if any. Dunno if it's the same problem. Either way, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

edit: Blech, stupid Belkin router setup page blows chunks. Every time I try to connect to it I get "Connect Interrupted: Page Cannot Be Loaded..." etc. from Firefox. I need to yell at my roommate :-(

Depends heavily on your router, I suggest googling the make and model with Xbox 360 NAT and see what it pulls up.

Hero

dreamcastmaster said:
many players are saying she's been nerfed. She's my main, I have to agree.

Teknopathetic said:
Of course she's "nerfed," she was retardedly good in 3s.

Here's the thing. Yeah, she was retardedly good in 3s but at least she was a different playstyle from the shotos.

Now? It's fucking Sagat/Ryu. I don't really think that's much better either.

And I wouldn't mind the nerfs but there is no reason for her Super/Ultra to be a charge movement.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MIMIC said:
Dan is hilarious. Him and his waterballs. And that Ultra Combo where he winks at the screen. :lol

You think that's funny? Try his second super combo.

NameGenerated said:
Aren't most, if not all, charge characters' Supers/Ultras charge movements?

That, or far far worse.

Hero

NameGenerated said:

Well her super/ultra is based off her lightning kick attack which is mashing kick repeatedly...so I don't understand why they wouldn't just make it QCF x2 + K/KKK.

Xevren

NameGenerated said:

Yep, I dont get what the problem is either. It could be a lot worse, at least its not Guile's or Vega's super/ultra motion. Doing that one is more difficult than Chun li's, at least in my opinion.

Momar

aka Ryder
Hero said:
Well her super/ultra is based off her lightning kick attack which is mashing kick repeatedly...so I don't understand why they wouldn't just make it QCF x2 + K/KKK.

Eh... super turbo much? :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hero said:

And a charge makes more sense? :p

She doesn't really play much like Sagat/Ryu. Yes, she relies on her fireball a bit more now instead of completely ignoring it outside of combos, but she's still very much a close range character at heart. And her fireball game is more like Guile's than Ryu/sagats anyway.

"And I wouldn't mind the nerfs but there is no reason for her Super/Ultra to be a charge movement."

Did you ever play super turbo? It was a charge motion there as well.

Hero

No, I never played Super Turbo.

Played SF2 then SSF2 then SFA then SF3:TS and all the Vs games.

Chun Li's supers have involved quarter circles more often than they have charging. :p

Kildace

Noob question on cancels with charge characters.
I just looked on SRK for Bison combos and I see stuff like "Jump HK Stand FP cancel to Crusher" but Psycho Crusher requires a 2 sec charge, does canceling negate the need to charge? Or am I supposed to charge while FA'ing? I'm missing something and I don't know what.

evil ways

I'm not feeling all these "canned animations" for the special throws. I was fighting Abel earlier and he basically did his throw move 3 times in a row and one of those times was when I was on the ground getting up. It's like they gave these moves too much priority.

Guess I'll have to get used to it.

Kildace said:
Noob question on cancels with charge characters.
I just looked on SRK for Bison combos and I see stuff like "Jump HK Stand FP cancel to Crusher" but Psycho Crusher requires a 2 sec charge, does canceling negate the need to charge? Or am I supposed to charge while FA'ing? I'm missing something and I don't know what.
Just hold back the moment you're in the air.

Top Bottom